Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 12, 2015 9:20 AM

May 2015
The West is, at least based on what I heard, more individualistic than other zones. Not just in terms of rights but in terms of culture, we value individualism and autonomy more than community.

Why are we so against the basic right to die, then? How can be free if the most fundamental choice of living or dying isn't given to us?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 12, 2015 9:22 AM

Aug 2015
because science

☁ cyborg robot squirrels ☁
Dec 12, 2015 9:23 AM

May 2015
phan said:
because science

This is morality, not science.
Dec 12, 2015 9:24 AM

Mar 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
The West is, at least based on what I heard, more individualistic than other zones. Not just in terms of rights but in terms of culture, we value individualism and autonomy more than community.

Why are we so against the basic right to die, then? How can be free if the most fundamental choice of living or dying isn't given to us?

the right to die doesn't exist in most countries unless you're old or sick, no?
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Dec 12, 2015 10:08 AM

May 2015
truisms said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Yes, which is moronic.
Dec 12, 2015 10:11 AM

Apr 2013
let me seppuku in peace
Dec 12, 2015 10:18 AM

May 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
phan said:
because science

Why do people commit suicide?

I think many people can agree its due to depression 90% of the time, therefore science is there so we can understand what chemicals are responsible for depression and how we can stop depression in people who are considering suicide.
Very rarely is suicide a case of deciding to die due to honour or some non-mentally associated reason.
I've been here way too long...
Dec 12, 2015 10:24 AM

Apr 2011
We've gone over this SO MANY TIMEs Brain... As TheConquerer said, it isn't usually morality but psychology/science that can prevent people from feeling their only option is death. I do agree that the west should be more open minded about people who don't want to deal with painful illness that will undoubtedly end in their death. If those people want to die instead of suffering, they should be able to. Depression does not undoubtedly lead to a persons death though... It can be pretty much cured, and those people can live long and happy lives.
Dec 12, 2015 10:26 AM

May 2015
TheConquerer said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I think many people can agree its due to depression 90% of the time, therefore science is there so we can understand what chemicals are responsible for depression and how we can stop depression in people who are considering suicide.
Very rarely is suicide a case of deciding to die due to honour or some non-mentally associated reason.

Why do people at chocolate? Why do they ride bicycles? Why do they sit on a chair instead of a couch?

What does this have to do with morality?

Fintan said:
We've gone over this SO MANY TIMEs Brain... As TheConquerer said, it isn't usually morality but psychology/science that can prevent people from feeling their only option is death. I do agree that the west should be more open minded about people who don't want to deal with painful illness that will undoubtedly end in their death. If those people want to die instead of suffering, they should be able to. Depression does not undoubtedly lead to a persons death though... It can be pretty much cured, and those people can live long and happy lives.

What if someone doesn't want a 'long and happy life'?
Dec 12, 2015 10:27 AM

Jan 2014
hoopla123 said:

fucked up man
Dec 12, 2015 10:32 AM

Nov 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

Then he's depressed and needs help.
Dec 12, 2015 10:34 AM

May 2012
I don't know. The west would be better off if some people did commit suicide.
Dec 12, 2015 10:39 AM

May 2015
PerpetualTrance said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Does he have any moral obligation to do so?
Dec 12, 2015 11:00 AM

Jul 2015
because less able-bodied slaves means less profit
Dec 12, 2015 11:04 AM

Jan 2014
Because of the overflow from the religious doctrines that preceded it, the stance that all lives are equal and a gift from God. To take one's life was seen as an affront to the Creator.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 12, 2015 11:10 AM

May 2015
RedRoseFring said:
Because of the overflow from the religious doctrines that preceded it, the stance that all lives are equal and a gift from God. To take one's life was seen as an affront to the Creator.

A lot of secular people keep preaching that silly dogma.
Dec 12, 2015 11:10 AM

Apr 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
PerpetualTrance said:

I'm sorry Brain but you're getting back to this round about crap where you're basically asking people to....what...be happy for people who want to kill themselves?

Also you know damn well NO ONE can stop a person from killing themselves, all people want is to try and help people who COULD live a happy life. The only people who think "I don't want a long and happy life" are mentally ill, which can almost always be treated. Regardless though, if someones mental illness is bad they will just off themselves before anyone even has a chance to treat them. So what is your point!? Nevermind... don't answer, we've been through this. You have no point lol.
Dec 12, 2015 11:13 AM

Feb 2015
Lower birthrate and more empathy.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Dec 12, 2015 11:16 AM

Apr 2014
I think it's good to be anti suicide overall, but it's like the death pentalty debate; not easy at all.

Technically it's your life but everyone can find something worth living for. I saw a police documentary where an inmate kept trying to kill himself every oppurtunity he got. He was clearly depressed or hated himself, but it's still the right choice to stop him trying to kill himsellf.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Dec 12, 2015 11:19 AM

Nov 2008
The East does not have very good mental health programs and their stigma is ingrained into every facet their culture, the West's only issue is the stigma itself which while cultural, is not ingrained in it like the East is, admitting to mental illness in the East can mean losing everything almost 100% of the time and there's no real support. There's plenty of support for all but the most extreme of cases in the West if the person wants to seek help.

Dec 12, 2015 11:22 AM

Oct 2012
RedRoseFring said:

this basically.
as for buddhism, suicide isn't really a hot topic there as it is in catholic church and the likes.
(same goes for abortion)
if you kill yourself as an act of calling attention to a problem (ie vietnamese monks burning themselves in the 60s) that is respectable
however, if you kill yourself because you're a sad loser, it can somehow make you reborn in a "worse" position than human however views on this are unclear, ie, no writings that would tell you it's right/wrong.
I guess it boils down to the fact that life is not seen as a sacred gift, it just simply "is".

Dec 12, 2015 11:23 AM

Jan 2013
Something to do with how life is considered a more important value than honor etc.?
Dec 12, 2015 11:24 AM

Jan 2013
Because religion.
Dec 12, 2015 11:37 AM

May 2015
Fintan said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I'm sorry Brain but you're getting back to this round about crap where you're basically asking people to....what...be happy for people who want to kill themselves?

Also you know damn well NO ONE can stop a person from killing themselves, all people want is to try and help people who COULD live a happy life. The only people who think "I don't want a long and happy life" are mentally ill, which can almost always be treated. Regardless though, if someones mental illness is bad they will just off themselves before anyone even has a chance to treat them. So what is your point!? Nevermind... don't answer, we've been through this. You have no point lol.

My point is to offer people a painless way of dying. Why force people to shoot themselves or jump off buildings?

There's no reason for you to be against assisted suicide since no one will force it on you.
Dec 12, 2015 11:48 AM

Sep 2014
I think the better question is, why are you so against anti-suicide opinions/beliefs? You can't really expect anyone to be happy or content about a person killing themselves, right?

If you want to end your life, that's your choice to make. Stop bringing it on other people.
I don't think you really want to die though, otherwise you wouldn't have stuck around this long. You just need to learn to accept that reality is harsh, but cowering away from it will only make your situation all the worse.

No one should even contemplate suicide until they've really exhausted all other options, imho. And most people who are depressed are too depressed to even acknowledge other options exist.
Dec 12, 2015 11:53 AM

May 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
TheConquerer said:

Why do people at chocolate? Why do they ride bicycles? Why do they sit on a chair instead of a couch?

What does this have to do with morality?

I don't know, does it?
All I see are philosophy arguments at most.
I've been here way too long...
Dec 12, 2015 12:39 PM
May 2015
What do you think would happen if suicide is legalized? Would it make things better? Won't it make life's value less? Wouldn't society go downhill afterwards? "Hey, I'm feeling depressed lately I'll just go commit suicide" "Ok dude bye I'm sorry to hear that.." Oh I live in a place where people can kill themselves painlessly without being looked down upon and there's no law stopping it! Who's enough brainwashed to accept suicide? Is that where society is going at? Where life is undervalued and meaningless that you can end it in a blink in a eye?

I'm sorry if you feel like that, but you live in a world where humans are encouraged to reproduce to live and every living thing thrives to survive unless they have some kind of illness or are nearing death. Someone who simply decides to kill themselves when your life isn't on the line is like going against nature. There's alot of things you can do about that. If someone is so so desperate to it, let them but I won't lie to myself and say that's ok to them because it's not.
Dec 12, 2015 12:45 PM
Jun 2015
I think you should stop generalizing the west. Some of us, including me, don't give a shit. If they want to kill themselves, let them. It's their own dumbass fault.
Dec 12, 2015 12:48 PM

May 2015
mafia_princess said:
What do you think would happen if suicide is legalized? Would it make things better? Won't it make life's value less? Wouldn't society go downhill afterwards? "Hey, I'm feeling depressed lately I'll just go commit suicide" "Ok dude bye I'm sorry to hear that.." Oh I live in a place where people can kill themselves painlessly without being looked down upon and there's no law stopping it! Who's enough brainwashed to accept suicide? Is that where society is going at? Where life is undervalued and meaningless that you can end it in a blink in a eye?

I'm sorry if you feel like that, but you live in a world where humans are encouraged to reproduce to live and every living thing thrives to survive unless they have some kind of illness or are nearing death. Someone who simply decides to kill themselves when your life isn't on the line is like going against nature. There's alot of things you can do about that. If someone is so so desperate to it, let them but I won't lie to myself and say that's ok to them because it's not.

So you're saying it's okay to force people into existence and telling them "Things are bad? Go fuck yourself. We won't help you end a life you never asked for"?

If you think people just wake up one day and decide to die, well, why do you think so? Any research that shows it's so impulsive?

SnugglyWhuggly said:
I think the better question is, why are you so against anti-suicide opinions/beliefs? You can't really expect anyone to be happy or content about a person killing themselves, right?

If you want to end your life, that's your choice to make. Stop bringing it on other people.
I don't think you really want to die though, otherwise you wouldn't have stuck around this long. You just need to learn to accept that reality is harsh, but cowering away from it will only make your situation all the worse.

No one should even contemplate suicide until they've really exhausted all other options, imho. And most people who are depressed are too depressed to even acknowledge other options exist.

Without the anti-suicide people, maybe euthanasia would have been available.
Dec 12, 2015 12:55 PM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:

Already is in some countries. Granted, even that's hard to gain access to. They're not just giving away free deaths to every teenager who's going through "I hate everything" phase of their life.

There's very few reasons why someone really has reasonable grounds to end their lives by, rationally speaking (since you seem to try and view everything as "rationally" as possible, even when there are no rational answers to some things).
Dec 12, 2015 12:59 PM

Jun 2011
Klad said:
Because religion.

Basically.
Dec 12, 2015 1:05 PM

Mar 2014
Why are you Asians so pro suicide?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 12, 2015 1:35 PM

Mar 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
truisms said:

Yes, which is moronic.

wouldn't a better question be why is the world so anti-suicide then?
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Dec 12, 2015 1:36 PM
Jul 2018
I'm not anti suicide since I think you should kill yourself
Dec 12, 2015 1:43 PM

Apr 2013
Comic_Sans said:

Well Sans, I would commit sudoku as well if I was a die hard Tokyo Ghoul fangirl like yourself and my family found out about it.

Such dishonor to the family.
Dec 12, 2015 1:48 PM

Sep 2014
Veneficia said:

Dec 12, 2015 2:48 PM

May 2015
truisms said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Yes, which is moronic.

wouldn't a better question be why is the world so anti-suicide then?

I understand why a more collectivist, community-centric culture is against suicide. It harms the community. I ask why an individualist society is so against it.

SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Already is in some countries. Granted, even that's hard to gain access to. They're not just giving away free deaths to every teenager who's going through "I hate everything" phase of their life.

There's very few reasons why someone really has reasonable grounds to end their lives by, rationally speaking (since you seem to try and view everything as "rationally" as possible, even when there are no rational answers to some things).

Why would you say that? Are you really in a position to determine whether someone's life is worth living or not? Isn't it better to let people decide for themselves?
Dec 12, 2015 2:49 PM

Mar 2014
hoopla123 said:
Comic_Sans said:

Well Sans, I would commit sudoku as well if I was a die hard Tokyo Ghoul fangirl like yourself and my family found out about it.

I'm not a TG fangirl and you should commit sudoku for being a Yukinon fanboy
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 12, 2015 3:11 PM

Apr 2013
Comic_Sans said:
hoopla123 said:

Dec 12, 2015 3:24 PM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Why would you say that? Are you really in a position to determine whether someone's life is worth living or not? Isn't it better to let people decide for themselves?

Sometimes, a person isn't capable of deciding for themselves whether or not their life is "worth living", especially when depressed. And honestly, I'd argue most lives are worth living, unless you're in a vegetable state or something.

Sure, you can determine for yourself whether or not you want to carry on living. We've been over this before though, you've created several threads on this topics throughout the past couple of months.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: People who truly want to die, would not keep talking about dying, they'd simply just pick a suicide method they deem to be the most appropriate, and go through with it. We wouldn't be having this conversation now if you've really determined that your life is no longer worth living.
Dec 12, 2015 3:43 PM

Mar 2014
hoopla123 said:
Comic_Sans said:

Nico- said:
Dec 12, 2015 3:45 PM

Jun 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:

Because it's inhumane to feel nothing or do nothing about another human wanting to take away their own life. We would be barbarians if we were to accept that
Dec 12, 2015 3:50 PM

Jun 2011
Qans said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Because it's inhumane to feel nothing or do nothing about another human wanting to take away their own life. We would be barbarians if we were to accept that

It's more inhumane to force another human to live if they are suffering. Plus we have the death penalty, so we are already barbarians.
Dec 12, 2015 3:53 PM

Jun 2014
Narmy said:
Qans said:

It's more inhumane to force another human to live if they are suffering. Plus we have the death penalty, so we are already barbarians.

Really depends on the situation. If they are facing a life threatening illness that causes them unbearable pain, then i won't try to stop or judge them for wanting to commit suicide. But that isn't always the case.
Dec 12, 2015 4:53 PM
Jul 2018
SnugglyWhuggly said:
Veneficia said:

thanks bruh nice to know someone knows my originality
Dec 12, 2015 5:28 PM

Apr 2013
Comic_Sans said:
hoopla123 said:

Dec 12, 2015 6:55 PM

Dec 2013
Fuck suicide, it's selfish as hell.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Dec 12, 2015 7:03 PM

Feb 2015
I would presume it is deriven from how Christianity condemned suicide as a sin?

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Oh oh oh oh and she's buying a stairway to heaven

Dec 12, 2015 7:18 PM

Jun 2013
How would you feel if you got a call one morning saying your best friend has committed suicide? Not because he had any serious issues, but just because according to the society it's considered 'normal' and he had a bad day. There's your answer. It should be condemned so much, that a person would not think it over once or twice, but a thousand times before doing it. It cannot be something that is accepted as a normal thing. We condemn it because we do not want to lose the people we care about.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What hobbies, skills, or common views do you wish a significant other had?

IpreferEcchi - 7 hours ago

8 by traed »»
20 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

12 by LoveYourEyes »»
20 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

14 by Kikugi »»
21 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 10 hours ago

25 by Kikugi »»
24 minutes ago

» What do you think about tourism in your country?

Sad - 53 minutes ago

2 by Sad »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.