Forum Settings
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 11, 2015 7:48 PM

Jun 2015
I'm actually really excited about this, the translator was hand-picked by Nisio Isin and now we can get a more proper translation of at least one of his novels! I would love to see the rest of the Monogatari novels translated officially into English as well, I'm sure the translator would have a hell of a time with it :P

Anyway, it's like $11 on Amazon, it's a steal, so if you didn't know this existed yet support the translation!!

Dec 11, 2015 7:51 PM

Aug 2014
Possibly, I actually reread Kizu last month. If I buy it it'll probably be just to have it, or just to compare to other translations.

Dec 11, 2015 7:51 PM

Jul 2013
Why read it when Shaft is clearly going to animate every Monogatari novel?
Dec 11, 2015 7:53 PM

Feb 2015
It'll probably read like the monkeys on a typewriter before they replicate a Shakespeare play.
Dec 11, 2015 7:59 PM

Jun 2015
Tenshi_Shura said:
Why read it when Shaft is clearly going to animate every Monogatari novel?

Well, for one I can't deny I get a little jealous when I hear about how great of a writer Nisio Isin is from Japanese friends. Also while the anime is fantastic I think it would be cool to compare it to the original written work, assuming the translation is worth its salt.

devinder said:
It'll probably read like the monkeys on a typewriter before they replicate a Shakespeare play.

Don't doubt the power of the monkeys...
Dec 11, 2015 7:59 PM

Jun 2015
justvincexd said:
Possibly, I actually reread Kizu last month. If I buy it it'll probably be just to have it, or just to compare to other translations.

Who did the translation you read out of curiosity?
Dec 11, 2015 8:21 PM

May 2015
Already preordered mine, really excited to read my first Nisio/Monogatari LN :D

The estimated time for delivery is the 29th though :(
Dec 11, 2015 8:26 PM

Dec 2012
Maybe, sometime down the road, but it's not a priority. I've got to work through the LNs I've already got on my shelf first.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 11, 2015 8:39 PM

Sep 2012
this is amazing news, i hope the translation isn't google translate tier, so i can experience the glory that is isin's writing, firsthand.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Dec 11, 2015 8:42 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion
Dec 11, 2015 9:07 PM

Jun 2015
VincentBrooks said:

Whaat? I preordered mine and it's guaranteed Dec 15th to get here or they'll give my money back :o Where you at?
Dec 12, 2015 5:18 PM

Aug 2014
drgy55 said:
justvincexd said:

Who did the translation you read out of curiosity?

The old baka-tsuki translation

Dec 12, 2015 8:46 PM

May 2015
drgy55 said:
VincentBrooks said:

Whaat? I preordered mine and it's guaranteed Dec 15th to get here or they'll give my money back :o Where you at?

I live in Austria so maybe that's the reason, not sure :S

I preordered it from amazon.de since the shipping for books is free
Dec 14, 2015 8:04 PM

Jun 2015
Alveron said:
drgy55 said:

I live in Austria so maybe that's the reason, not sure :S

I preordered it from amazon.de since the shipping for books is free

That would probably be why :o Just amazon.com I also didn't have to pay any shipping, but I'm not sure if that's because I have Prime or not. It shipped to me from Texas, so I don't know if they're all coming from there...
Dec 17, 2015 3:20 PM
Mar 2014
I preordered mine late last spring, I think in May. It's only been dispatched today and the estimated arrival is between Wednesday the 23rd. I ordered it with Prime as well, I guess the UK service isn't as good, or maybe it's officially released later over here or something. Grrr.

Looking forward to reading it though, looking at amazon reviews the translation should be quite good.
Dec 18, 2015 6:48 AM

Dec 2011
I have mines and I want to add it on here but it`ll be incomplete since they`ve only released Kizu and not the others. I really hope we get the others too.
Dec 19, 2015 11:12 PM

Jun 2015
Just to update everyone, having read through 8 chapters now it is EXCELLENT. Much better than the fan translations I've read. I'm especially happy with how the translator does a great job of switching between more complicated and simplistic vocabulary to best fit the original intentions of Nisio Isin. Definitely not just a by-the-book translation, I can tell that some creative liberties were taken to ensure the English translation is as enjoyable for us as the original was for Japanese readers.

More than that, it's just a great read, I think I'd enjoy it even without being a die-hard Monogatari fan :P
Dec 21, 2015 7:51 PM

Jul 2015
mine will be tomorrow im really excited, best christmas gift to myself :))
Dec 27, 2015 11:06 PM

Sep 2013
I just read my copy. I haven't read the fan translation but this is definitely the most well done novel translation I've read, a lot better than Yen Press novels (and those are pretty good).
I think I'll grab a second copy in the hopes more will get licensed.
Dec 27, 2015 11:27 PM

Jun 2015
talentlessash said:
I just read my copy. I haven't read the fan translation but this is definitely the most well done novel translation I've read, a lot better than Yen Press novels (and those are pretty good).
I think I'll grab a second copy in the hopes more will get licensed.

Thanks for sharing man, yes it's absolutely a very professional and well-done translation and I will be ECSTATIC if more English translations are published for the other novels by Vertical \o/
Dec 28, 2015 7:29 AM
Mar 2014
Still haven't received my copy and amazon hasn't responded to my last email ;_;

I guess I'll ring up tomorrow.

Edit: Amazon really wasted my time on this one. They've refunded me and given me an extra month of Prime though, so it's not all bad. All I want is a copy of the book. Does anyone know where to get a copy in the UK? All the places I've looked are out of stock, or dispatch from the US and are really expensive.
RMSfreedomDec 29, 2015 7:30 AM
Dec 31, 2015 11:58 AM

Jun 2015
RMSfreedom said:
Still haven't received my copy and amazon hasn't responded to my last email ;_;

I guess I'll ring up tomorrow.

Edit: Amazon really wasted my time on this one. They've refunded me and given me an extra month of Prime though, so it's not all bad. All I want is a copy of the book. Does anyone know where to get a copy in the UK? All the places I've looked are out of stock, or dispatch from the US and are really expensive.

Man, that really sucks... Amazon has always been pretty good for me, though I ordered Mirai Nikki on BD one time and it never came. They refunded me after two months and I ordered another copy which came in great condition :P

So, maybe just try ordering again? Could've been a fluke, it does happen sometimes.
Dec 31, 2015 12:35 PM
Mar 2014
drgy55 said:

Man, that really sucks... Amazon has always been pretty good for me, though I ordered Mirai Nikki on BD one time and it never came. They refunded me after two months and I ordered another copy which came in great condition :P

So, maybe just try ordering again? Could've been a fluke, it does happen sometimes.

Funny thing.Just got a call from my parents a couple of hours ago saying it arrived at their house so they'll send it to me (I originally had it sent there as that was where I was spending Christmas). Still, it's a week or two late so I don't feel too bad about complaining. The weird thing is that it appears to have been sent via same-day delivery, but amazon said it was dispatched on the 17th.

Oh well, I'm just glad I'll get to read it soon.
Jan 1, 2016 5:08 PM

Jun 2015
RMSfreedom said:

Funny thing.Just got a call from my parents a couple of hours ago saying it arrived at their house so they'll send it to me (I originally had it sent there as that was where I was spending Christmas). Still, it's a week or two late so I don't feel too bad about complaining. The weird thing is that it appears to have been sent via same-day delivery, but amazon said it was dispatched on the 17th.

Oh well, I'm just glad I'll get to read it soon.

Haha well that was lucky! Yah, reminds me of when I ordered the BDs for Garden of Sinners just last month. These are $350 mind you! And it said it was delivered but I never got it. I was suuuuper worried for a week, called RightStuf, talked to my landlord, etc. before I found out the post office had held onto it because all the apartment delivery boxes were full. Wish someone would've told me that...

Enjoy the book ^-^
Jan 2, 2016 2:12 AM
Mar 2014
drgy55 said:

Enjoy the book ^-^

Thanks, I'm sure I will!
Jan 12, 2016 4:11 AM

Nov 2011
I think there are at least 3 chapters out now that have been translated very recently.
Jan 14, 2016 5:31 AM

Mar 2015
TFW you missed out on the first printing and still waiting for Book Depository to get more in stock...
Jan 16, 2016 12:50 PM

Mar 2015
Wanted to get this so bad,but unfortunetly it's out of stock :(
Jan 16, 2016 2:31 PM

Jun 2015
That's crazy that they're all sold out! I hope there will be another shipment that comes in for you guys... not sure where you're all located, but I can still find some available here in the US.
Jan 19, 2016 5:34 PM

Mar 2015
Aaaaand the reprint is DONE people! Book Depository says it's back in stock! (Now I just need it to ship by Friday...)
Jan 22, 2016 3:05 PM

Mar 2015
So I was able to buy mine today on amazon(wich is the day it came back in stock) and the funny thing is that a couple of hours after I made my order,it went out of stock o_o
Rogue22Jan 22, 2016 3:12 PM
Feb 22, 2016 2:42 AM

Sep 2013
Any thoughts on it?
Personally i enjoyed it--araragi felt very araragi-like.

Some minor qualms with translation, but that's about it.
wow
Feb 22, 2016 5:07 AM

Mar 2015
MundaneAfro said:
Any thoughts on it?

Hmm,I really enjoyed it,the characters felt and talked like they should have,also the pacing of the novel was really good.

I'm more interested now in how they will handle Bake.
Feb 22, 2016 4:05 PM

Jun 2015
MundaneAfro said:
Any thoughts on it?

I thought it was great, I really liked how the translator went above and beyond base translation to try to capture the characters the way they were originally written but in English.

I can't stand lazy translations that don't try to read into the characters' personalities at all. English is a very convoluted language. For example, one character might say "It tastes good" while another might say "Positively delectable" but in Japanese they're both just saying "oishi." In that regard, I think Kizumonogatari was great and I reeeeally hope he also translates Bake x_x
Feb 23, 2016 11:26 AM
Mar 2014
MundaneAfro said:
Any thoughts on it?

It was pretty decent. As for the translation, there was one part I remember thinking was particularly awkwardly written. I can't remember it though, so I doubt it was that bad. I'll definitely buy the next few. Now I can't wait for Bake. I'm not particularly used to reading books for this demographic, but I really enjoyed Kizu.
Apr 8, 2016 9:02 AM

Oct 2013
Definetely gonna buy that soon <3

say, MAL says that the Monogatari Series first season has how many volumes? 6?
the other two seasons also got 6 volumes each....are they gonna release all 18 volumes?
and how long will it take?
dont want it to be finished when I'm retired ....
Apr 8, 2016 2:31 PM
Mar 2014
Stahlschild said:
how long will it take?.

Well, they released Kizu last winter, they're releasing Bake next winter (three books, Dec, Jan, Feb I think). At this rate, 1 volume a year, it could take a while.

EDIT: Ah, but Bake is 2 volumes, so that speeds it up a little I guess, maybe they'll aim for ~2 a year.
Apr 8, 2016 2:55 PM

Oct 2013
RMSfreedom said:
Stahlschild said:
how long will it take?.

Well, they released Kizu last winter, they're releasing Bake next winter (three books, Dec, Jan, Feb I think). At this rate, 1 volume a year, it could take a while.

EDIT: Ah, but Bake is 2 volumes, so that speeds it up a little I guess, maybe they'll aim for ~2 a year.

would pretty much appreciate one per season....it's 20 volumes in Japan...and the author doesnt seem to...there's still coming stories that ain't finished yet D:

Probably gonna get those 20 Vols from Jap Amazon anyway~
it's 250bucks though :3 xD

gotta study more kanji until then D:
Dec 26, 2016 1:26 AM

Aug 2013
Late to the party but I got mine 3 days ago, going to read it over the winter break!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: First Season Chapter 21 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Aug 5, 2017

1 by Nachoalpe »»
Apr 1, 3:32 AM

» How are the chapters divided?

Omid_ - Feb 29

3 by Omid_ »»
Feb 29, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: First Season Chapter 10 Discussion

Bheaze - Feb 10, 2014

1 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jan 22, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: First Season Chapter 9 Discussion

Bheaze - Feb 10, 2014

1 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jan 22, 1:25 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Chapter 8 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Jul 6, 2010

6 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jan 2, 12:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.