Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 10, 2015 4:37 AM

Apr 2014
This is something that has interested me for a while, especially being a believer in freedom of speech and expression.

When talking about god it's the atheists who get treated worst for their outlook on god. C.S Lewis once said god cannot lie, it's not one of his attributes. Just like he cannot create a square circle. Many Christians have also said god is a just judge and can't ignore all sin.

On the other hand any attribute god could have that an atheist would give is laughed at. What gives any random guess work like "god cannot lie" some kind of superior platform?

The idea that god treats all sin is a good example. You can say that if he forgives you then that's the opposite of justice. That's a legitimate point that shouldn't be brushed aside with "fedora tipper". You don't even need to go into theology to discuss that even though a theology where god isn't a just judge is just as plausible and wouldn't have to avoid that point.

Plus who is your favourite atheist thinker? It's important to know that some people need atheism, it can be their release.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 10, 2015 4:49 AM

Oct 2011
Because society expects you to believe in a God. Once you don't, you feel withdrawn.
Dec 10, 2015 4:52 AM

Sep 2009
Because Christians thought has been fking up humanity since the year 00 (or -50ish or something?) And nobody's stopped them yet.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 10, 2015 5:06 AM

Apr 2009
Yes said:
Only in America
op is not american

ot: there was more stigma attached to being religious in every social circle i've been in, so these kinds of questions are difficult for me to answer because i've never witnessed that stigma myself
i personally am not a fan of obsessive atheists, but it's the same with obsessive religious people so w/e
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Dec 10, 2015 5:07 AM

Oct 2012
Religious people shit talk me for having zero faith.
I shit talk them for deluding themselves into following something that doesn't exist.

Religious people, in a way, are insane.
Dec 10, 2015 5:15 AM

Apr 2009
Martin said:

here's your answer to why people dislike atheists
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Dec 10, 2015 5:20 AM

Mar 2008
It has to do with association. Not just the association with certain people but rather the association with certain aspects people tie in with religion and theism. People tend to associate theism with morality which is a false premise. There are people who associate atheism with lack of faith which is also a false premise as an atheist can take faith of other forms. There is also the whole tribalism thing where people find brotherhood/sisterhood in their beliefs.

It is not just atheists but also pagans under hash assumptions.
Dec 10, 2015 5:21 AM

Jun 2015
not to sound like a fedora but my parents threatened to kick me out over being an atheist. I think the stigma exists because theists don't like when people question their views with the intent of disproving them. I've kind of learned to just let people believing in god be.
The quote in my signature is relevant here.
Dec 10, 2015 5:22 AM

Apr 2015
#votefortrump
Dec 10, 2015 5:26 AM

Oct 2012
kawaiiyuris said:
Martin said:

here's your answer to why people dislike atheists
Well, history has proven otherwise. >_>
Dec 10, 2015 5:29 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Yes said:
Only in America

At least America has separation of church and state. My country is officially catholic, so we just don't talk about atheism here at all.

Also, Dawkins ftw.
Dec 10, 2015 5:31 AM

Apr 2009
Ravioli_Ravioli said:
not to sound like a fedora but my parents threatened to kick me out over being an atheist. I think the stigma exists because theists don't like when people question their views with the intent of disproving them. I've kind of learned to just let people believing in god be.
The quote in my signature is relevant here.
oh my god. why do people have fucking children if they're not gonna be decent parents.

i agree that you should let people believing in god be. not your parents tho. guiltrip them to hell
deadoptimist said:
Dec 10, 2015 5:41 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Bayaw said:
You live in Costa Rica? Anyways, *tips fedora[/quote]
Yes, I do, good sir *tips fedora back*
Dec 10, 2015 5:42 AM

Jan 2011
Because atheists are militant fanatics.
Dec 10, 2015 6:01 AM

Oct 2011
Consider Plato's "Allegory of the Cave". In the allegory, people are imprisoned in a cave where they are tied to the wall facing the wall opposite of the room. There is a source of light situated behind them in an elevated position. In this light source there are bearers who places objects in front of the source thus casting a shadow towards the wall in front of the prisoners. Take note that these prisoners have lived all of their life inside the dark cave, oblivious to the things outside the real world. Prisoners would see these shadows and proclaim them as real. Plato suggests that the cave represents the human mind and these shadows represent empirical knowledge taught to the people.

But Plato poses a question, what if a prisoner suddenly got unchained and managed to see what lies beyond the real world? The initial reaction would blind him and leave him in awe and confusion, but this prisoner learnt of the truth. All of the shadows he have seen back in the cave was not the truest truth. They can be manipulated to things that they want the prisoners to see. He has seen the highest form of truth. He goes back to the cave and proclaim his discovery but the prisoners won't believe him.

Now, relating this to atheism. All of us have been taught that there is a God. It is considered empirical knowledge. But do you desire a deeper form of truth? Are you willing to be unchained and see the world? Or would you rather be satisfied playing with the shadows inside the cave? Will the truth you will see outside be considered as a truth for everyone? Stubbornness is a dominant human trait. Maybe the truth you have come up with is that there is no God, could be possible that there is a universal God. Once we return to that cave, no one would agree. You get stigmatized. You try to help others by removing their chains but they are too afraid of the unknown reality, the truth.

Getting stigmatized is a natural occurrence if you go against the flow. But the real question is, is the truth worth suffering for?
Dec 10, 2015 6:04 AM

Apr 2015
BlueKite said:
Consider Plato's "Allegory of the Cave". In the allegory, people are imprisoned in a cave where they are tied to the wall facing the wall opposite of the room. There is a source of light situated behind them in an elevated position. In this light source there are bearers who places objects in front of the source thus casting a shadow towards the wall in front of the prisoners. Take note that these prisoners have lived all of their life inside the dark cave, oblivious to the things outside the real world. Prisoners would see these shadows and proclaim them as real. Plato suggests that the cave represents the human mind and these shadows represent empirical knowledge taught to the people.

But Plato poses a question, what if a prisoner suddenly got unchained and managed to see what lies beyond the real world? The initial reaction would blind him and leave him in awe and confusion, but this prisoner learnt of the truth. All of the shadows he have seen back in the cave was not the truest truth. They can be manipulated to things that they want the prisoners to see. He has seen the highest form of truth. He goes back to the cave and proclaim his discovery but the prisoners won't believe him.

Now, relating this to atheism. All of us have been taught that there is a God. It is considered empirical knowledge. But do you desire a deeper form of truth? Are you willing to be unchained and see the world? Or would you rather be satisfied playing with the shadows inside the cave? Will the truth you will see outside be considered as a truth for everyone? Stubbornness is a dominant human trait. Maybe the truth you have come up with is that there is no God, could be possible that there is a universal God. Once we return to that cave, no one would agree. You get stigmatized. You try to help others by removing their chains but they are too afraid of the unknown reality, the truth.

Getting stigmatized is a natural occurrence if you go against the flow. But the real question is, is the truth worth suffering for?
WE GOT A WINNER! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 10, 2015 6:06 AM

Oct 2011
Lothric said:
BlueKite said:

WE GOT A WINNER! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 10, 2015 6:08 AM

May 2015
Because they ruin everything.
Dec 10, 2015 6:09 AM

Jul 2014
Because they're usually assholes
Dec 10, 2015 6:12 AM

Oct 2011
Bayaw said:
BlueKite said:
Too long. Cant understand this pretentiousness
Then you are a prisoner of the cave.
Dec 10, 2015 6:14 AM

Oct 2011
Bayaw said:
BlueKite said:
Then you are a prisoner of the cave.
3deep5u to be honest
I guess you need that extra brain cell.
Dec 10, 2015 6:15 AM

Apr 2015
He doesn't want to face the truth he will stay in the darkness forever chained ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 10, 2015 6:23 AM

Apr 2011
There's a pretty big societal shift regarding religion, more people then ever now don't believe in the traditional religions or god/s. This will only increase in my opinion with more knowledge and science showing us how we as humans came to exist and the mysteries that were a big part of religion forming in the first place are answered.

I personally think there will always be forms of religion no matter what science proves though.
Dec 10, 2015 7:28 AM

Jan 2014
There are any number of reasons.

There's the genuine belief that they are amoral. People just confuse the point of having no basis for morality with actually acting it out. You don't need the former to do the latter, but the latter is meaningless without it.

There's also the historical aspect with atheistic states like Stalin's Soviet Union and Mao's China committing horrible atrocities and persecution.

There's the smugness and arrogance that is typically associated with atheists because of some superiority in "muh logic!"

There's those who just don't like people going against the flow.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 10, 2015 7:36 AM
Jul 2018
ibear said:
Because they're usually assholes
(the ones on the internet for the most part).

Also, as a general rule people favor members of their own group. The majority of the world is religious and thus to reject religion makes one a member of a minority outgroup. There's a number of other reasons.

Favorite thinker: Friedrich Nietzsche
Dec 10, 2015 7:41 AM

Jul 2015
Because the only thing monotheistic religions hate more than other religions is the lack of religion. They can somehow understand believing in a false god, but not believing scares them.
Dec 10, 2015 7:41 AM

Mar 2008
RedRoseFring said:
There's also the historical aspect with atheistic states like Stalin's Soviet Union and Mao's China committing horrible atrocities and persecution.
I dont really consider those atheist states. They merely are against religion for the sake of gaining power of influence becoming their peoples gods.
Dec 10, 2015 7:53 AM
Oct 2014
I don't feel nor see any stigmas concerning atheists here. It's probably more stigmas around hardcore Christians then.

My guess is that in other countries they see religion as the platform of morality. How someone can see the Bible as moral if you followed it literally, is hard for me to understand. I won't deny though that some typical Protestant moral has influenced me - the major and traditional religion around here. I don't see why there has to be a God, however, to follow those ideals.

Dec 10, 2015 8:09 AM

Oct 2013
Something about fat people wearing hats
Dec 10, 2015 9:00 AM

Feb 2015
im not sure ,not a new thing though, im from the american south ( very religious region.) that being said im rather skeptical of religion so i dont mind atheist at all.
Dec 10, 2015 9:15 AM
May 2015
Because it's what cool Christian kids do.
Dec 10, 2015 9:18 AM

Nov 2015
This is not 'stigma' but rather the aversion to the militant stance some atheists have taken in the past; for example, Richard Dawkins' book ''The God Delusion'' is simply and purely a rant; aimed only at the vilification of religion not at discrediting the fundamentals thereof. What atheist thinkers need to understand is that, not being a theologian is where they should draw the line of 'not making any comment on religion'; sure, if you want to pass it out as an 'opinion' of yours, then go ahead, but when you project it as a fact, as Richard Dawkins has been observed to do, then you have a whole another thing coming for you.

My favorite atheist thinker would be Bertrand Russel - ignoring his remarks about religion and his falsifiable quote about eternal punishment - in the sense that it would not make anyone less human - that you posted. Perhaps, the best atheist thinker that has ever graced the Earth's embrace was Epicurus. He was the realest nigga.
Dec 10, 2015 9:38 AM

Mar 2008
PerpetualTrance said:
This is not 'stigma' but rather the aversion to the militant stance some atheists have taken in the past
Atheism is illegal in Afghanistan, Iran, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates and Yemen. Punishable with up to the death penalty.

In the US there is a slightly higher percentage of people who would vote for a Muslim to be president than they would an atheist and its only a bit over half for something theoretical. Even homosexuals stand a higher chance. In 7 states of the US atheists are banned from running for public office.

It IS a stigma.
Dec 10, 2015 9:42 AM

Nov 2015
traed said:
PerpetualTrance said:
This is not 'stigma' but rather the aversion to the militant stance some atheists have taken in the past
Atheism is illegal in Afghanistan, Iran, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates and Yemen. Punishable with up to the death penalty.

In the US there is a slightly higher percentage of people who would vote for a Muslim to be president than they would an atheist and its only a bit over half for something theoretical. Even homosexuals stand a higher chance. In 7 states of the US atheists are banned from running for public office.

It IS a stigma.

I'm only surprised by US. Muslim countries are known for being retarded. I didn't know US had such a high percentage of Christians..... does it?
Dec 10, 2015 9:49 AM

Mar 2008
PerpetualTrance said:
I'm only surprised by US. Muslim countries are known for being retarded. I didn't know US had such a high percentage of Christians..... does it?

Its like 70% Christian and 22% unaffiliated (atheist, agnostic, non religious theist).
http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/
Dec 10, 2015 9:53 AM

Nov 2015
traed said:
PerpetualTrance said:

Its like 70% Christian and 22% unaffiliated (atheist, agnostic, non religious theist).
http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

Well, that makes it obvious. It's not a 'stigma' but a 'bias'.
Dec 10, 2015 9:55 AM

Apr 2014
PerpetualTrance said:
This is not 'stigma' but rather the aversion to the militant stance some atheists have taken in the past; for example, Richard Dawkins' book ''The God Delusion'' is simply and purely a rant; aimed only at the vilification of religion not at discrediting the fundamentals thereof. What atheist thinkers need to understand is that, not being a theologian is where they should draw the line of 'not making any comment on religion'; sure, if you want to pass it out as an 'opinion' of yours, then go ahead, but when you project it as a fact, as Richard Dawkins has been observed to do, then you have a whole another thing coming for you.

My favorite atheist thinker would be Bertrand Russel - ignoring his remarks about religion and his falsifiable quote about eternal punishment - in the sense that it would not make anyone less human - that you posted. Perhaps, the best atheist thinker that has ever graced the Earth's embrace was Epicurus. He was the realest nigga.
This is interesting as well. I don't think you need to know too much theology to question the nature of god.

There's a stigma to talking about god the father in Christianity (which is the god they still believe in). If you read the old testament why isn't he a "moral monster"? A god who would flood his creations for being disobediant as the easiest way to dispose of them. A person of faith can still just ramble on about god being moral and religion being 100% perfect, but it's always the atheist who gets treated worse for saying "maybe god isn't good".
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Dec 10, 2015 9:57 AM

Mar 2008
PerpetualTrance said:

Nah its a stigma still. There are some atheists who hide being atheists openly and take part in church so they can fit in.
Dec 10, 2015 10:10 AM

Nov 2015
Dick_Dawkins said:
This is interesting as well. I don't think you need to know too much theology to question the nature of god.

There's a stigma to talking about god the father in Christianity (which is the god they still believe in). If you read the old testament why isn't he a "moral monster"? A god who would flood his creations for being disobediant as the easiest way to dispose of them. A person of faith can still just ramble on about god being moral and religion being 100% perfect, but it's always the atheist who gets treated worse for saying "maybe god isn't good".

That can be judged by the query, whether theologians question God or not. If they do, then it doesn't make a difference whether you're a theologian or not because, then, God in his very nature would be questionable. If the theologians don't question him then it simply means you do not know enough.

As for your other question, I'm not here to answer that Mantis. You know I never do.

traed said:
PerpetualTrance said:

Nah its a stigma still. There are some atheists who hide being atheists openly and take part in church so they can fit in.

That would be in a conservative society. The same could be said about a Christian turning Muslim in a conservative society. At this level, it's a stigma. At the State level, it would be bias or prejudice. After all, what percentage of Americans would want a Muslim president?
Dec 10, 2015 10:18 AM

May 2015
Because some people still believe that if you don't worship God you'll burn in hell. I have no idea why America still does this, really...
Dec 10, 2015 10:35 AM

May 2013
Atheists don't have it worse than anyone else lol. All groups and belief systems will be bashed on at one point or another.

Maybe a better question would be 'what is the stigma against atheists' and to me it would be that they are over-eager to argue with Christians and 'crush their faith.' With 'unbeatable' facts and logic. That's my stigma against them anyhow. It's a good one too as I used to be a hardcore atheist ;)

xMizu_Dec 10, 2015 10:48 AM
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Dec 10, 2015 10:37 AM

Apr 2014
RedRoseFring said:

There's the genuine belief that they are amoral. People just confuse the point of having no basis for morality with actually acting it out. You don't need the former to do the latter, but the latter is meaningless without it.
The basis for morality is that we want to live in a better society, you've mistaken it for being meaningless only because you believe in god. When you preach the bible the only observable result is that it is being preached to better society. Atheisits have plenty of noble reasons to be moral, check out my Penn Jillette quote.
Trance said:
Dec 10, 2015 11:13 AM

Apr 2014
shotz_ said:
Martin said:
i'm actually starting more and more believe this (at the very least with fundies/the truly religious). many ppl like this in my family and after hearing them say god spoke to them so many times and believing god is punishing america for it's social liberalism with natural disasters, you can't deny the delusion. it's actually kind of frightening to me hearing people talk like that.

delusion isn't enough to warrant a mental illness alone, but it's pretty close. i mean we don't humor full grown adults who say their imaginary friend spoke to them, yet to have that relationship with god is seen as normal, and even expected in many circles.
If you say god created evil or creates calamity you'll get bashed so fast.

But the thing is I wouldn't put it past god to do that.

Isaiah 45:7
Trance said:
Dec 10, 2015 11:17 AM

Nov 2011
one of my favorites is neither atheist or religious, but agnostic
John V. Neumann. The father of modern computer. Without him, we wouldn't have the computers / smartphones / tablets that we have today, and we probably wouldn't have internet, either. He also made significant contribution in several fields and was one of the most influential mathematicians to ever have lived.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Dec 10, 2015 12:35 PM

Feb 2013
Because they are annoying.

I like a lot of atheists. But many outspoken Atheist not even including the feminists, Seem to have this war against religion. For not much of a reason.

I understand that they don't get it or often don't like it, but many of this arguments seem silly anyway why should none believers care. You are given your freedom much like they are.
Dec 10, 2015 12:37 PM

Jul 2015
traed said:
In 7 states of the US atheists are banned from running for public office.

It IS a stigma.

Lel USA topkek as usual.
Dec 10, 2015 12:37 PM

Aug 2013
old people haven't died yet
Dec 10, 2015 1:06 PM

May 2015
As an atheist myself, it is because Dawkins is the face of atheism and he and his fans are huge assholes, so people tend to assume all atheists are assholes while in fact there are all kinds of atheists with all kinds of personalities just like people of all religions.
Dec 10, 2015 2:11 PM

Apr 2014
GrimStorm said:
As an atheist myself, it is because Dawkins is the face of atheism and he and his fans are huge assholes, so people tend to assume all atheists are assholes while in fact there are all kinds of atheists with all kinds of personalities just like people of all religions.
I don't see how he is. Could you explain that please?

This video describes everything he ever does. The video shows the stigma to atheism, and how religious people aren't seen as assholes more often.

I don't think he ever crosses the line. Look at what he does in this video.

.He mocks creationism. Creationism isn't compatible with science as it's differen't from the idea that god simply started the big bang.

.He defends ridiculous points Christians give all the time. In this it's the comment about Hitler and Stalin. All he needed to say to show the Christian presenter as a biased idiot is to reply "I don't either" when O'reilly said "I don't think they had any moral foundattion whatsoever". Dawkins won there. Redrosefring tried making the same point earlier whilst disproving his own point by saying you don't need a basis of morality to act good. Don't mention Hitler if you want to say stuff like that.

.He ridicules the fallacy all religious people by default by into (it's fine to believe it, but it's not a superior position to agnostic atheism). The fallacy is that they have to believe and assert what is and isn't a creation. Sand dunes look really pretty but that doesn't mean they're "designed" or "created" by god. There's no point at all in a religious person saying the world is so complex it must have been designed because they beleive everything was designed, even the non complex stuff.

Richard Dawkins does nothing wrong, he's entitled to his studies and has yet to be put in his place by theologians about what he's said wrong. Someone religious believes their religion is the special snowflake, so they can get away with slandering other religions whilst appearing to people as intellectual. Atheists are still the only group that are expected to stay silent.

Trance said:
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

16 by Adverrito »»
4 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

32 by KenaiPhoenix »»
4 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

16 by Adverrito »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

20 by KenaiPhoenix »»
23 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Today

26 by KenaiPhoenix »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.