Forum Settings
Forums

Yaoi/Shonen Ai (Anime and/or Manga) with Equal Positions in Relationship?

New
Dec 6, 2015 3:14 AM

Dec 2014
In other words, clear out the seme/uke thing from your pretty little heads. Bara has been the only thing that even remotely fits the bill for me, but all I'm really hoping for is less submissive/stereotypically "feminine" guy characters in yaoi/shonen ai. Any suggestions? Both manga and anime applies.
(っ◔◡◔)っ just on my dumb shit
Dec 6, 2015 3:22 AM

Sep 2014
My, we're just gonna have to disagree. ^^ I think having a feminine uke and a manly seme is the right thing for yaoi and real life relationships, and I do hope that the mangaka never change their ways.
You mentioned it yourself, Bara has a lot of material I would never read, so enjoy that. Good luck.
Dec 6, 2015 11:57 AM

Jul 2012
+1 Honto Yajuu
Dec 7, 2015 2:35 AM

Sep 2014
AngelShiva said:
yaoi_renee said:
My, we're just gonna have to disagree. ^^ I think having a feminine uke and a manly seme is the right thing for yaoi and real life relationships, and I do hope that the mangaka never change their ways.
You mentioned it yourself, Bara has a lot of material I would never read, so enjoy that. Good luck.

I can't disagree more with you. And by the way, real life doesn't (always) work like that...
Oh, but it works like that for me ^^
Dec 10, 2015 11:48 AM

Dec 2014
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone...I'll look into those ASAP.
I just don't like applying those kind of roles to LGBT+ relationships, as I am also one, I like reading manga/watching anime that I can resonate with. It's a very similar feeling to when people ask IRL, "who's the guy/girl in the relationship?"
Umm...no, because we're not a hetero couple?
I'm not judging your taste(s), though, yaoi_renee. That's totally fine for you to like what you like. Not being the 'opinion police' or anything here.
Dec 10, 2015 12:06 PM
Dec 2014
Anilapse said:
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone...I'll look into those ASAP.
I just don't like applying those kind of roles to LGBT+ relationships, as I am also one, I like reading manga/watching anime that I can resonate with. It's a very similar feeling to when people ask IRL, "who's the guy/girl in the relationship?"
Umm...no, because we're not a hetero couple?

Totally hear you... On top of that I much prefer the relationship depiction in bara but I like the characyer style of yaoi/shonen ai more. Yaoi has such unhealthy relationships in general.

Why cant we have healthy gay relationships depicted but with characters that look like Yukina from Sekaiichi Hatsukoi or Misaki from Junjou Romantica... Ie, I want healthy twink relationships... Why does it always have to be bears? Nowaki x Hiroki in Junjou Romantica is a great example of the look of a couple I like but holy sh!t is their relationship unhealthy.
omniomiDec 10, 2015 12:09 PM
Dec 10, 2015 1:23 PM
Dec 2014
yaoi_renee said:
I would think calling a relationship "unhealthy" because there's a bottom and a top that don't reverse roles is what's really unhealthy. I guess this is why the gay community can never be unite in one. We're all judgmental afterall -.-
And with that said, I'm not trying to attack anybody, but I think it's quite unhealthy to be indecisive and can't set yourself in one role.

It's not the bottom/top dynamic that's unhealthy. It's the seme almost always forcing themselves on the uke even when the uke is verbally protesting. I know lots of gay couples that are top/bottom with no versatility but I don't know any gay couples with the weird absuive dynamics of yaoi couples. You might claim that it's consensual master/slave play but the shows never establish it as consensual and it's the norm for relationships even though it's just as fringe in the gay community as it is in the straight world for a slave/master dynamic outside isolated role playing sessions.

In my example of Nowaki x Hiroki their relationship is unhealthy because Nowaki basically forces the relationship on Hiroki in the beginning and when Hiroki does comes to love him Nowaki is an emotionally distant dick so much so that he fucks off to another country without saying anything for over a year and expects Hiroki to immediately pick back up when he gets back. In Yaoi the top is always super dominant and almost always an abusive asshole. You can be a top without being abusive and power-bottoms are also a thing.
omniomiDec 10, 2015 1:26 PM
Dec 10, 2015 1:24 PM

Sep 2014
Anilapse said:
I'm not judging your taste(s), though, yaoi_renee. That's totally fine for you to like what you like. Not being the 'opinion police' or anything here.
I agree that we completely disagree, and of course I won't judge you either. I just get annoyed with all the versatiles deciding other's relationships are "unhealthy" because what they like is different.
-cough
AngelShiva said:
And I still can't get why healthy relationships are so hard to find in the yaoi genre... -_-'

omniomi said:
Totally hear you... On top of that I much prefer the relationship depiction in bara but I like the characyer style of yaoi/shonen ai more. Yaoi has such unhealthy relationships in general.

I'm a feminine man myself, so of course I'm extremely happy with the yaoi material where I can relate to the uke being feminine and the girl in the relationship and I want my boyfriend to be manly and the one who protects me and all that.
Dec 10, 2015 1:26 PM

Sep 2014
omniomi said:
It's not the bottom/top dynamic that's unhealthy. It's the seme almost always forcing themselves on the uke even when the uke is verbally protesting. I know lots of gay couples that are top/bottom with no versatility but I don't know any gay couples with the weird absuive dynamics of yaoi couples.

In my example of Nowaki x Hiroki their relationship is unhealthy because Nowaki basically forces the relationship on Hiroki in the beginning and when Hiroki does comes to love him Nowaki is an emotionally distant dick so much so that he fucks off to another country without saying anything for over a year and expects Hiroki to immediately pick back up when he gets back. In Yaoi the top is always super dominant and almost always an abusive asshole. You can be a top without being abusive and power-bottoms are also a thing.
Oh, I apologize if I have made a mistake. I actually deleted that post already after realizing what people were saying, but I still have to disagree. Not all seme are abusive. Actually, most of them aren't, unless you've been reading a lot of yaoi hentai :p
Dec 10, 2015 1:29 PM
Dec 2014
yaoi_renee said:
I'm a feminine man myself, so of course I'm extremely happy with the yaoi material where I can relate to the uke being feminine and the girl in the relationship and I want my boyfriend to be manly and the one who protects me and all that.

I'm a top, and an "otter" (I'm thin and in shape but I have a beard and body hair.) I like feminine bottoms... So that part of Yaoi is fine with me. What I don't like is that "no" means yes and most of the tops are abusive either emotionally, physically sexually, or all three. I hate the way it portrays tops and constantly shows bottoms being abused. I watch how Usami treats Misaki [Junjou] for example and all I can think is "come live with me Misaki, I'll treat you properly" I can't relate to Usami at all
Dec 10, 2015 1:31 PM
Dec 2014
yaoi_renee said:
Oh, I apologize if I have made a mistake. I actually deleted that post already after realizing what people were saying, but I still have to disagree. Not all seme are abusive. Actually, most of them aren't, unless you've been reading a lot of yaoi hentai :p

I have yet to see healthy top/bottom relationships in yaoi but my exposure is rather narrow. I thought that's what this thread was for though? I am not OP but what I would love is a list of healthy top/bottom yaoi relationships they do not need to be vers/vers.
Dec 10, 2015 1:39 PM

Sep 2014
omniomi said:
What I don't like is that "no" means yes and most of the tops are abusive either emotionally, physically sexually, or all three. I hate the way it portrays tops and constantly shows bottoms being abused. I watch how Usami treats Misaki [Junjou] for example and all I can think is "come live with me Misaki, I'll treat you properly" I can't relate to Usami at all
I see your point, but I somehow feel like the when that happens, the uke actually wants it to happen, but they are playing hard to get, you know. It's not like they are getting abused or raped, because if that was the case, the manga would be a lot darker and with more drama in it.

omniomi said:
I have yet to see healthy top/bottom relationships in yaoi but my exposure is rather narrow. I thought that's what this thread was for though? I am not OP but what I would love is a list of healthy top/bottom yaoi relationships they do not need to be vers/vers.
Check out my top 5 :D they are quite amazing, and I don't think they contain any of what you seem to think is "abuse"
Jul 25, 2016 3:01 AM

Dec 2014
Wow, I haven't been keeping up w/ MAL in a long time. I like the discussion that went on here, though. Guess I'm bumping my own thread by saying this. Honto Yajuu is cute, thanks for the suggestion!
Jul 25, 2016 3:36 AM

Jun 2015
Jul 25, 2016 4:40 AM

Feb 2016
Anything by Kii, Kanna

Hidamari ga Kikoeru
Nirameba Koi - i don't think this one has anything forced but it's been awhile.
Bouzu to Kumo - seme like uke and uke like seme. The seme is... forceful at times but the uke just goes with it.
Omairi desu yo

+1 to Hanto Yajuu, Sonna Me de Mitekure
Jul 26, 2016 2:40 AM

Dec 2014
Cabinsqid said:
Anything by Kii, Kanna

Hidamari ga Kikoeru
Nirameba Koi - i don't think this one has anything forced but it's been awhile.
Bouzu to Kumo - seme like uke and uke like seme. The seme is... forceful at times but the uke just goes with it.
Omairi desu yo

+1 to Hanto Yajuu, Sonna Me de Mitekure

Read Hanto Yajuu, currently reading Hidamari ga Kikoeru (loving it) and I'm looking into the others for when I finish this one. Thanks~

More topics from this board

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - Yesterday

18 by mo_lave »»
46 minutes ago

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - Yesterday

6 by DMind »»
Today, 2:05 AM

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
Today, 1:02 AM

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

15 by r3v3l3v3l »»
Yesterday, 10:09 PM

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Yesterday

6 by Skuletor »»
Yesterday, 4:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.