Forum Settings
Forums

I feel like old animes are a LOT less "ecchi"

New
Nov 29, 2015 10:45 PM

Sep 2009
And when I say ecchi, I'm not talking about nudity; it's not surprising that people will be nude some of the time. I'm talking about shows like DxD and HOTD. Nowadays, it's like over half the shows currently airing are ecchi, or have quite a bit of ecchi.
Old as in ~Pre 2005?
Ecchi: Extra skin shown for the sake of extra skin shown. Has little relevance to plot/mood/atmosphere. Or something obviously aimed at being provocative.

Nevermind, peoples. Apparently the majority of you are incapable of giving an "I agree, because xyz," or an "I disagree because lmn," and can only ignore the context and make pointless assumptions.
MortalMelancholyNov 30, 2015 12:33 AM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 29, 2015 10:52 PM

Feb 2013
a time without shimoneta and monmusu is not a time worth living in

luckily, the Time Traveler Association agrees, this is why this period of time has a large number of time travelers

"enjoy yer ecchi and 4 girls slice of life, they ain't gonna last long" - Time Traveler Association 2035
Nov 29, 2015 10:56 PM

Oct 2014
Ghost Stories has a lot of jokes about panties and it's from 2000. I think some of them might be dub-only, but there were some panty shots as well.
Nov 29, 2015 11:04 PM

Jul 2012
I think it's more spread out through the entire series now where older anime would dedicate an episode or a scene to it and with newer it's a recurring theme through the whole anime.
MiraniaNov 29, 2015 11:18 PM
Nov 29, 2015 11:05 PM

Apr 2013
Yeah I've been watching some old stuff lately and it's definitely not nearly as "Hey MC check out my boobs, wanna jump in my butt?" as today's shows are thats for sure. Nothing wrong with those sexual jokes and tropes but do you really need an ENTIRE series that is literally just that... Every single season ....
Nov 29, 2015 11:07 PM
Sep 2013
Majority of modern seasonal anime air 2:00am on local channel and depending on DVD/BD sales
Most of older anime air prime time/day time and air major broadcasting

In other words,Anime as otaku hobby is recent phenomenon.There were only kids/mainstream anime in 1990s on TV
Todays conterpart of older anime are Yokai Watch,One Piece,Haikyuu,Diamond no Ace you don't see nuidity either.

There were no anime like owarimonogatari(2:05-2:35AM) because there were no late-night anime in the past in the first place.

umashikanekoNov 29, 2015 11:29 PM
Nov 29, 2015 11:19 PM

Jun 2011
Chry said:
Yeah I've been watching some old stuff lately and it's definitely not nearly as "Hey MC check out my boobs, wanna jump in my butt?" as today's shows are thats for sure. Nothing wrong with those sexual jokes and tropes but do you really need an ENTIRE series that is literally just that... Every single season ....
The same could be said about any other Anime...

Some users just can't adapt to changes. And "over half of the shows" sounds like an exaggeration. Or give solid proof that it indeed is so. Nevertheless it is what people demand nowadays, what can you do about it?

Edit: Just went over a list of currently airing Anime. Like 1/3-1/4 can be considered ecchi or have a lot of ecchi elements. So saying that it overweighs anything else is just wrong.
DomiNov 29, 2015 11:24 PM
I'm feeling thank you
Nov 29, 2015 11:25 PM

Apr 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
And when I say ecchi, I'm not talking about nudity; it's not surprising that people will be nude some of the time. I'm talking about shows like DxD and HOTD. Nowadays, it's like over half the shows currently airing are ecchi, or have quite a bit of ecchi.
Old as in ~Pre 2005?

From this season, I count 7 out of 63 tagged with ecchi. You must be terrific at math. Btw, just for the record, that's 11.1%.

EDIT: I did a recount and found I'd made a mistake. 6 out of 63 are tagged with ecchi. That's 9.5%.
yhunataNov 29, 2015 11:29 PM
Nov 29, 2015 11:28 PM

Jun 2011
yhunata said:
From this season, I count 7 out of 63 tagged with ecchi. You must be terrific at math. Btw, just for the record, that's 11.1%.
Excluding kids anime and including shows not tagged ecchi but have elements and you come to maybe 25%-30%. Too lazy to math. :P
Showing it holds no significance.
I'm feeling thank you
Nov 29, 2015 11:31 PM

Apr 2011
Domi said:
yhunata said:
Excluding kids anime and including shows not tagged ecchi but have elements and you come to maybe 25%-30%. Too lazy to math. :P

Hold on, why are you excluding kids anime? Are they not anime from now as well?
Nov 29, 2015 11:32 PM

Jun 2011
yhunata said:
Domi said:

No, thats not what I ment. Just that kids Anime are automatically falling out of the criteria for possibly having ecchi elements for obvious reasons.
I'm feeling thank you
Nov 29, 2015 11:35 PM

Apr 2011
Domi said:
yhunata said:

No, thats not what I ment. Just that kids Anime are automatically falling out of the criteria for possibly having ecchi elements for obvious reasons.

Oh, might as well just take out all the non-ecchi anime as well. After all, they don't have those elements either, right? Either take them all or take none.

Sep 2009
yhunata said:
MortalMelancholy said:
Old as in ~Pre 2005?

EDIT: I did a recount and found I'd made a mistake. 6 out of 63 are tagged with ecchi. That's 9.5%.

Most of the ones that aren't tagged with ecchi still have ecchi.
You're so salty lol

Apr 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
yhunata said:

Prove it.
Nov 29, 2015 11:37 PM

Jun 2011
yhunata said:
Domi said:

Oh, might as well just take out all the non-ecchi anime as well. After all, they don't have those elements either, right? Either take them all or take none.
I don't know why you get so upset about it, because it just was to show that even when you only count shows targeted at a mature audience the rate of ecchi is still really low. I didn't intend to diss any kids Anime.
I'm feeling thank you
Nov 29, 2015 11:40 PM

Apr 2011
Domi said:
I don't know why you get so upset about it, because it just was to show that even when you only count shows targeted at a mature audience the rate of ecchi is still really low. I didn't intend to diss any kids Anime.

I'm not upset. I'm merely stating that kids anime also counts towards anime premiering this season.
Nov 29, 2015 11:41 PM

Sep 2009
yhunata said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Prove it.

I'd have to watch them though, and I don't have that much time.
Feb 2013
Theres nothing wrong with having fan service in non ecchis,

Complaining about ecchi in ecchi is just complaining about the genre in general. People who watch ecchi like to see ecchi. If you dont, then dont watch.
Feb 2014
Anime*

Also define "ecchi"

Apr 2015
I mean older anime didn't have censoring, and a fair amount weren't afraid of nudity. But yes you're pointing out the obvious by saying there is more ecchi anime now.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Nov 29, 2015 11:42 PM

Apr 2011
MortalMelancholy said:

So how can you say:
MortalMelancholy said:

A word of advice; next time you make a thread, make sure you have facts to back you up and don't just spout bullshit.
Nov 29, 2015 11:44 PM

Jun 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
Like the people who call shit on Anime before they air, that is not how you form an opinion. Just assumptions or prejudices without solid proof.
I'm feeling thank you
Nov 29, 2015 11:44 PM

Sep 2009
yhunata said:
MortalMelancholy said:

So how can you say:
MortalMelancholy said:

A word of advice; next time you make a thread, make sure you have facts to back you up and don't just spout bullshit.

I can't be bothered to prove a point for free. If I got something out of it, it'd be pretty easy to find an ecchi scene in the majority of them. You can't prove the contrary either.
Nov 29, 2015 11:46 PM

Apr 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
I can't be bothered to prove a point for free. If I got something out of it, it'd be pretty easy to find an ecchi scene in the majority of them. You can't prove the contrary either.

Except I did. I linked you to a page which shows everything airing this season and even counted out the amount tagged as ecchi. Since I don't watch everything, that's the most I could do with the resources at hand. You, on the hand, couldn't even be bothered to do that much when, as the person making the claim, the burden of proof lies on you.
Nov 29, 2015 11:47 PM

Jun 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
You first talk about "quite a bit of ecchi" and now only about "an ecchi scene"? If that it what defines it for you then probably 99% of all Anime are ecchi.
I'm feeling thank you
Nov 29, 2015 11:48 PM

Sep 2009
Domi said:
MortalMelancholy said:
You first talk about "quite a bit of ecchi" and now only about "an ecchi scene"? If that it what defines it for you then probably 99% of all Anime are ecchi.

If there's one, there's probably more to follow.
Nov 29, 2015 11:49 PM

Apr 2011
Stop while you still can, mate.
Nov 29, 2015 11:52 PM

Jun 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
Domi said:

If there's one, there's probably more to follow.
Then you need to define when an Anime does qualify as "Ecchi related". I doubt that 3-4 scenes in a 24 episode series would fall into that criteria.
I'm feeling thank you
Nov 29, 2015 11:52 PM

Sep 2009
yhunata said:

Look guy, I said "I feel like there's more ecchi nowadays." If you want me to prove my opinion, you prove whatever yours happens to be.
Me: "it's like over half the shows currently airing are ecchi" That's indeed what it feels like.
Me in your head: "By my statistical analysis, approximately 51% of anime shows are ecchi category."
Troll someone else, thanks.
Nov 29, 2015 11:54 PM

Apr 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
yhunata said:

Look guy, I said "I feel like there's more ecchi nowadays." If you want me to prove my opinion, you prove whatever yours happens to be.
Me: "it's like over half the shows currently airing are ecchi" That's indeed what it feels like.
Me in your head: "By my statistical analysis, approximately 51% of anime shows are ecchi category."

And here comes the insults, albeit tamer than usual. Me telling you to prove your claim isn't me being a troll.
Nov 29, 2015 11:54 PM

Jun 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
Me: "it's like over half the shows currently airing are ecchi" That's indeed what it feels like..
There lies the problem actually. Because you can't say that when you aren't watching a good amount of shows.
I'm feeling thank you
Nov 29, 2015 11:56 PM

Apr 2011
MortalMelancholy said:

NSFW?

You mean the momentary ecchi scenes, though the anime doesn't really center on ecchi?
Nov 29, 2015 11:56 PM

Apr 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
yhunata said:

In that case let me tell you the answer: You're wrong.
Nov 29, 2015 11:58 PM

Sep 2009
yomachi said:
MortalMelancholy said:

NSFW?

You mean the momentary ecchi scenes, though the anime doesn't really center on ecchi?

I do consider that ecchi, yes.

Gator said:

Thanks for that proven and well thought out answer.
Nov 30, 2015 12:03 AM
Feb 2013
yomachi said:
MortalMelancholy said:

NSFW?

Whenever i watch stuff like this I have little feeling towards them, but I could just imagine people on this forum screaming in their heads at this stuff, and Im just like wow theres no need to get your panties in a bunch over stuff like this.

I mean i guess i you had some kind of repulsion against the female body, I could understand your peoples need to complain. Like Id probably complain if anime had gay fanservice in every episode. (actually, I probably wouldnt even then, unless it was hardcore level)
KendiKongNov 30, 2015 12:07 AM
Nov 30, 2015 12:15 AM

Nov 2011
But OPM doesn't have ecchi so all is well.

Nov 30, 2015 12:15 AM

Apr 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
Gator said:

Thanks for that proven and well thought out answer.

No problem, I tried to adjust to your reasoning.
Nov 30, 2015 2:31 AM

Oct 2015
Obvious you don't know about the grandfather of all ecchi anime :P

http://myanimelist.net/anime/3391/Maicching_Machiko_Sensei?q=Miss%20Ma
Nov 30, 2015 2:33 AM
Feb 2011
idk, the pre 2000 year ecchi titles were at least actually quality ecchi unlike this new shit

though yes, there were less of them
Nov 30, 2015 2:41 AM

Jun 2008
dfsafsaf said:
idk, the pre 2000 year ecchi titles were at least actually quality ecchi unlike this new shit

Name one.

And have you seen the Monogatari seasons, NGNL, Prison School?

Plenty of quality ecchi right there.
Nov 30, 2015 2:50 AM

Jul 2015
JustALEX said:
dfsafsaf said:

Name one.

And have you seen the Monogatari seasons, NGNL, Prison School?

Plenty of quality ecchi right there.

Golden Boy

(not saying I agree with OP or anything)
Nov 30, 2015 3:03 AM

Apr 2011
That's why retro is generally better than modern shows. A lot less focus on ecchi moments and when there is it's mostly a moderate, tasteful amount, not over the top fanservice every other minute.
Nov 30, 2015 3:09 AM

Mar 2012
*ahem*Ranma 1/2*ahem*Jigoku Sensei Nube*ahem*
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Nov 30, 2015 4:31 AM

Sep 2015
Seems like you're confusing ecchi with fanservice.

Ecchi anime are still quite rare. A lot of anime have fanservice in them; few anime have ecchi scenes like Testament or Highschool Dxd.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Nov 30, 2015 4:33 AM

Dec 2012
There is less anime in as a whole back then, so it's a pointless comparison. And the percentage of new anime people watched are more than the old anime they watched, as you naturally would only watch the praise and highly rated old anime.

And even then the ecchi anime percentage is not that high as proven above. It's seems unreasonable to count even anime that have 1 or 2 ecchi scene. Where is the arbitrarily line drawn?
Nov 30, 2015 4:37 AM

Jun 2011
Well, OP took the "I'm right and you're just ignorant" path judging by the modified first post. Sigh.
I'm feeling thank you
Nov 30, 2015 6:42 AM

Mar 2015
ReaperCreeper said:
Go Nagai, son.
one of go nagai manga is WSJ (shounen) title and it adapted as hentai. kids those days pretty brutal compare to kids this days. kids these days are soo pussy.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/12808/Harenchi_Gakuen
KumaNov 30, 2015 9:51 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 30, 2015 9:47 AM

Jul 2015
they sell
Well Duh...

Nov 30, 2015 9:58 AM

May 2012
Lum said:
That's why retro is generally better than modern shows. A lot less focus on ecchi moments and when there is it's mostly a moderate, tasteful amount, not over the top fanservice every other minute.

I take it you never watched Najica Blitz Tactics (2001) unless that isn't "retro" enough.
Nov 30, 2015 10:48 AM
Jul 2018
I'm not going to take the time to actually count how many "ecchi" shows existed before 2000, but in my experience yes, you are right OP.

The stuff I watched in the 90s, and possibly even early 2000s, definitely had less pandering than the stuff I am recommended these days.

Again, that is not evidence of anything, it's just my personal experience.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 10 hours ago

40 by _FRB_ »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 7 hours ago

17 by LostSpectre »»
2 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

40 by traed »»
14 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

176 by ISeeLifePeople »»
19 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

89 by FanofAction »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.