Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 29, 2015 3:52 PM

Sep 2009
What's the charm? I watched like *checks list* 7 episodes, and I ain't seein' it. Haruhi herself is pretty obnoxious, the other characters are generic, and the MC looks about as bored as I am.
I ask because apparently the franchise netted lots of $
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 29, 2015 3:59 PM

Dec 2012
It wasn't generic back in 2007 tbh
Nov 29, 2015 4:01 PM

Sep 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
What's the charm? I watched like *checks list* 7 episodes, and I ain't seein' it. Haruhi herself is pretty obnoxious, the other characters are generic, and the MC looks about as bored as I am.
well..that's what Gigguk said before he saw the movie..XD
Nov 29, 2015 4:01 PM

Apr 2014
worst girl for me really feel sorry kyon to deal this kind of girl.
Nov 29, 2015 4:02 PM

Sep 2009
TKotarou said:
It wasn't generic back in 2007 tbh

They weren't very interesting though, despite their archetype. I can't remember a single distinctive thing other than that the Haruhi was bored (along with MC), but then suddenly decided to make a relatively normal club. And that she's some sort of interdimensional time bomb.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 29, 2015 4:04 PM

Feb 2013
Much of the appeal comes from it's meta humor regarding anime culture with some unique and memorable gimmicks tossed in. I don't think it's particularly aged well (hence why I don't really care for or think much of it nowadays) but it's not hard to see why it was a big deal in 2006 and why some other shows since have tried to copy it's notes.
Nov 29, 2015 4:07 PM

Jan 2010
I've found it to be enjoyable in a meta sense. Haruhi purposely calls out cliches and attempts to force them into being, reenacting stuff she probably saw in manga. She's apparently a god though, so these cliches, specifically the fantastical stuff, end up happening without her realizing that she's literally making them happen. At least that's the theory, 'cause I don't know what's has been going on with the light novel volumes that weren't adapted. Kyon's there as well to narrate how absurd everything is while playing the detached, indifferent, smart ass narrator who who does his best at grounding the series. Also, there's God Knows and the ending dance which helped the show's popularity to explode.

It probably does seem generic nowadays. Being meta isn't anything new, nor is poking fun at common tropes and cliches. The charm when it came out was its freshness and energy at being as outlandishly wild and fun as possible, giving little heed to the norm. Watching it today probably won't do you much, so take it as you will.

This only addresses the first season by the way. The second season has its own controversies attached and the Disappearance movie, while a powerhouse film I'd argue, comes after actually getting into the series first, which is the most immediate issue.
Nov 29, 2015 4:12 PM
Oct 2015
I'll be honest with you, I saw the whole series just to see the movie. Before watching the movie, I thought the show was kinda boring skipping certain scenes but after watching the movie, I somewhat enjoyed the overall series.
Nov 29, 2015 4:19 PM

Oct 2012
In a nutshell Kyon snark plus Disappearance is the reason I like it. In reality the tv series is just decent fun, its a blend of a lot of different genres from SciFi to Drama to SoL to Supernatural but it manages to feel cohesive. The movie is really exceptional though, probably my favorite Anime movie so far, stand alone or otherwise.
Nov 29, 2015 4:28 PM

Mar 2013
I guess it's supposed to be funny how GOD is a bratty highschool girl terrorizing the school in mundane ways like blackmailing a club for their computer or dragging her followers to play baseball. Along with she can't know she's really god or she might stop keeping things the way she believes they should be and just create chaos for the fun of it. It's not amazing but I remember it being entertaining (skipped endless 8 when I figured out what was going on), if you aren't enjoying it after maybe 10 episodes (don't think the order matters, endless 8 episodes don't count) you can watch the movie which is defiantly the best part of the sereis
Dec 1, 2015 7:02 PM

Nov 2011
Moved and a tiny Cleaning
Oct 28, 2016 9:10 AM

Jan 2015
MortalMelancholy said:

Can't please everyone :3

I love the anime, characters, plot, setting etc. >w<
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.