22.4%
If it were me
77.6%
49 votes
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 29, 2015 12:18 PM

Jan 2009
Here-Hear said:
"It" is singular. so you use "was". You use "were" with a plural noun.
"They were..." "I was..."
I suggest you are be quiet. Even when ignoring the Fact that you haven't heard about the Subjunctive or at the very least, that you're supposed to use "were" in those Cases, what you wrote is still not accurate for the Indicative.
If it were like that, you could say: "you was" in 2nd Person Singular, but unfortunately, the "you" you're using in second Person Singular is actually the "you" in second Person Plural and "thou" in second Person Singular, which had its own Form for Indicative,wast (compare German: warst) and for Subjunctive, wert (compare German: wärst).
Nov 29, 2015 12:20 PM
Jul 2018
The latter sounds pleasing to the ears, albeit 99% of my grammar is fixed by the way it sounds.

My ears do the judging.

Also let's take that "what if" scenario and change the "If it were me" to "If I were you". They're both correct and sound pleasing to the ears.
Nov 29, 2015 12:28 PM

Jan 2009
Fiction-S said:
The latter sounds pleasing to the ears, albeit 99% of my grammar is fixed by the way it sounds.
Same for me and I've also had learned the Sentence: "If I were you, I would..." first.

Besides, "if I were you" really sounds similar to "wenn ich du wär(e)" and hearing something like "if I was you" sounds as wrong to my Ears as saying "wenn ich du war".
Nov 29, 2015 12:32 PM

Nov 2015
I've always said "if it were me"
Nov 29, 2015 12:40 PM

Jan 2009
BubbleGum_ said:
I've always said "if it were me"
And you've never questioned why?
Nov 29, 2015 1:21 PM

May 2014
Noboru said:
Here-Hear said:
"It" is singular. so you use "was". You use "were" with a plural noun.
"They were..." "I was..."
I suggest you are be quiet. Even when ignoring the Fact that you haven't heard about the Subjunctive or at the very least, that you're supposed to use "were" in those Cases, what you wrote is still not accurate for the Indicative.
If it were like that, you could say: "you was" in 2nd Person Singular, but unfortunately, the "you" you're using in second Person Singular is actually the "you" in second Person Plural and "thou" in second Person Singular, which had its own Form for Indicative,wast (compare German: warst) and for Subjunctive, wert (compare German: wärst).

omg ... what has this thread turned into @_@
Nov 29, 2015 1:48 PM

Feb 2014
I think "if it was me" is correct, but I always use "if it were me".

You wouldn't say "it were me". You would say "it was me".

UNLESS THIS IS A TRICK QUESTION AND THE ANSWER IS ACTUALLY "IF IT WAS I"
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Nov 29, 2015 1:52 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:
Mr7Beans said:
go back to school
we didn't learn grammar/spelling in high school
we did fucking essays on novels and news articles

i hate the education system, it's so fucking dumb and poorly organized.
i can't believe a native english speaker, like i, have to ask people about the most basic grammar problems.

There's a difference between Basic and Tricky.

I'd consider this one Tricky. Besides, most people don't even care unless it's some English major you're asking. People know what you mean, anyways.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Nov 29, 2015 2:55 PM

Jan 2009
ZA_WAYD said:
A Grammatic Thread talking about Grammatic.

yosimba2000 said:
So your Brain tells you that it has to be "if it was me", but your Gut Feeling or Heart tells you that "if it were me" is right?

"Me" is correct here, because it's a disjunctive Pronoun.

Besides, most people don't even care unless it's some English major you're asking.
You don't have to be an English major to have the Feeling that "If I was you" sounds plainly wrong. Also, if you were to know enough German, you wouldn't make the Mistake of confusing Indicative with Subjunctive.
NoboruNov 30, 2015 4:05 AM
Nov 29, 2015 4:16 PM

Mar 2008
Depends if it is past or present tense.
Nov 29, 2015 5:02 PM

Feb 2014
Noboru said:
ZA_WAYD said:
A Grammatic Thread talking about Grammatic.

yosimba2000 said:
So your Brain tells you that it has to be "if it was me", but your Gut Feeling or Heart tells you that "if it were me" is right?

"Me" is correct here, because it's a disjunctive Pronoun.

Besides, most people don't even care unless it's some English major you're asking.
You don't have to be an English major to have the Feeling that "If I was you" sounds plainly wrong. Also, if you were to know enough German, you wouldn't make the mistake of confusing Indicative with Subjunctive.

There are some phrases that sound incorrect but are actually right.
I never cared much about the intricacies of grammar.
-Walt Whitman

-Robert A. Heinlein
Nov 29, 2015 5:54 PM
Nov 2015
Hello3245 said:
Isn't this what Google is for? L o l
Nov 29, 2015 5:56 PM
Nov 2015
I don't see the issue here. It's singular either way.
Nov 29, 2015 11:20 PM
Mar 2015
FreePigeon said:
I don't see the issue here. It's singular either way.

Have fun reading; IT IS [U]"WERE."[/U]
NashetaniaNov 29, 2015 11:23 PM
Nov 30, 2015 4:17 AM

Jan 2009
traed said:
Depends if it is past or present tense.
"were" is the Past Subjunctive for all grammatical Persons and the Past Indicative for "you", "we", "you" and "they" while "was" is only the Past Indicative for the 1st (I) and 3rd Person Singular (he/she/it).

yosimba2000 said:
There are some phrases that sound incorrect but are actually right.
I had those with Constructions like "that's me", because the Sentence were ( = wäre) "das bin ich" in German which would be (= würde sein) "that am I" in English and that might have even been the Case until English changed from V2 Word Order (Verb second) to Subject-Verb-Object (SVO), so instead of the Subject Pronoun "I", the Object Pronoun "me" has been being in Use since then, analogous to French "c'est moi".
NoboruNov 30, 2015 10:26 AM
Nov 30, 2015 11:43 PM

Jul 2012
Bump for help!
Nov 30, 2015 11:46 PM

Feb 2015
The comma is not needed..it sort of breaks the flow of the sentence
Nov 30, 2015 11:54 PM

May 2015
Don't put it there.
Dec 1, 2015 12:27 AM
Mar 2015
Eminem said:
Don't put it there.
Dec 1, 2015 12:29 AM

Mar 2008
The comma seems unnecessary.
Dec 1, 2015 3:54 AM

Jan 2009
Just because you ask for advice from a popular person, doesn't mean it'll be helpful.

There is no Need for a Comma if you can replace it with a Pronoun:
"Just because you ask for advice from a popular person It doesn't mean it'll be helpful."

You are neither separating Main Clauses and subordinated Clauses, nor Adverbs ("Today, I"/"..., too") and you don't do an Enumeration or List of Things you name, so a Comma above seems pretty unfit.
Dec 1, 2015 4:13 AM

Jan 2014
I think you need the comma. And even if it's not necessary, using it there helps reading the sentence a lot.

(But I'm not a native English-speaker)
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Dec 1, 2015 4:16 AM

Jul 2015
Get that comma outta there
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

10 by Dracowyn »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 3 hours ago

7 by Theo1899 »»
36 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 1 hour ago

2 by LenRea »»
37 minutes ago

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 11 hours ago

25 by Dracowyn »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

674 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.