Forum Settings
Forums

Where do Japanese people go to read manga online?

New
Nov 28, 2015 2:33 AM

Jul 2012
For English speakers, there's sites like Mangafox and Batoto. For Chinese speakers, there's like various sites. Even Korean has a few.

So where's Japan's?
Nov 28, 2015 2:57 AM

Sep 2009
Prob easier for them to buy, borrow, or hit up a library.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 28, 2015 2:57 AM
Jun 2015
They buy them?
Nov 28, 2015 2:58 AM

Jul 2012
umashikaneko said:
No free stream site as far as i know,there are illegal download sites but no where nearly as big/organized as major English sites.
Yeah I know of all of them. It's a shame they're missing a lot of volumes in each series.

JewellTH said:
They buy them?
Or just read them in convenience stores I guess
Nov 28, 2015 2:59 AM

Sep 2015
they buy them.
also they have manga cafes to read them.
Nov 28, 2015 3:09 AM

Oct 2012
It's more underground in Japan than over here. I don't think there are any big sites where you can read multiple manga online.
Since Japan is the target audience for most manga most Japanese anti piracy is directed against Japanese sites. (Or sites visited by a lot of Japanese.)
Also the general opinion in Japan is a lot more against piracy than it is over here.
Which is a good thing for us. Because if Japanese people didn't buy so much manga, anime, figurines, vns, lns, etc. Then not as many would be produced.
Nov 28, 2015 3:12 AM

Jul 2012
Laniaka said:
Also the general opinion in Japan is a lot more against piracy than it is over here.
really??? didn't kissanime shut down like a day ago?
Nov 28, 2015 3:13 AM
Mar 2011
Laniaka said:
It's more underground in Japan than over here. I don't think there are any big sites where you can read multiple manga online.
Since Japan is the target audience for most manga most Japanese anti piracy is directed against Japanese sites. (Or sites visited by a lot of Japanese.)
Which is a good thing for us. Because if Japanese people didn't buy so much manga, anime, figurines, vns, lns, etc. Then not as many would be produced.

big japanese p2p programs are still used i know cusei used share alot on Utane and winny untll 2.5 years ago when i my node range got hit
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 28, 2015 3:16 AM

Oct 2012
mayukachan said:
Laniaka said:
Well I'm no expert but I once saw some Japanese person say that if you tell random fellow fans that you're a pirate there's a decent chance they get angry at you.
While over here everyone and their mother is a pirate.
Nov 28, 2015 3:16 AM

Nov 2011
Considering how strict they are against uploading manga and anime on the internet, I won't be surprised if there are very few website for that, its not worth the risk.

Nov 28, 2015 3:17 AM

Mar 2014
mayukachan said:
Laniaka said:
I have no clue what those threads were about. I checked it out then and I just checked it now and it always worked.
Nov 28, 2015 3:19 AM

Oct 2012
DateYutaka said:
Laniaka said:

big japanese p2p programs are still used i know cusei used share alot on Utane and winny untll 2.5 years ago when i my node range got hit
I didn't say that it's really underground but that it's more underground than here. Big p2p programs is more underground than typing the manga name in google and there being a bunch of illegal manga reading sites in the top hits.
Nov 28, 2015 3:21 AM

Jul 2012
ziggy_Z said:
mayukachan said:
I have no clue what those threads were about. I checked it out then and I just checked it now and it always worked.
the videos dont apparantly

DateYutaka said:
Laniaka said:

oh, can you explain how p2p programs work? is it like torrenting?
Nov 28, 2015 3:22 AM
Mar 2011
Laniaka said:
DateYutaka said:

I didn't mean that it's really underground but that it's more underground than here. Big p2p programs is more underground than typing in the manga name in google and there being a bunch of illegal manga reading sites in the top hits.

untill the crack down people use direct p2p networks as the west used torrents its just when the crackdown happned when the Japanese nativws began using torrents more widly for everything
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Nov 28, 2015 3:25 AM
Mar 2011
mayukachan said:
ziggy_Z said:

DateYutaka said:

oh, can you explain how p2p programs work? is it like torrenting?

yes but alot less automated and more person ot person in most cases

Nov 29, 2015 3:56 PM
Sep 2015
Copyright laws are A lot stricter than they are here in the states so most people just buy the series.
Nov 29, 2015 9:59 PM

Jan 2014
Each publisher does things differently. A lot of them offer eBooks, often with the focus on downloading to e-readers rather than streaming. This can be through websites they run like Kadokawa's BookWalker (which just launched an English site) or sites like Amazon or Renta. In addition, an increasing number of manga are serialised in webmagazines, usually for free, whether on dedicated magazine sites, or platforms like Nico Nico Douga or Pixiv.

Probably the main reason there is less piracy in Japan is that manga is more easily and cheaply available. (Although having to torrent it probably contributes, and publishers are more interested in stopping piracy where it actually competes with their sales.) There is very little different between the relevant copyright laws in Japan and the US, and neither country has been successful in stopping torrent search engines or the like.
Nov 29, 2015 10:08 PM

Apr 2012
JewellTH said:
They buy them?
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Nov 29, 2015 11:11 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Probably just buy them because they can.

mayukachan said:

A lot don't, but not all of them.
Nov 30, 2015 12:34 AM

Dec 2011
There are plenty of online manga magazines which can be read for free. So why use illegal methods?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 30, 2015 12:39 AM

May 2008
Yeah, they don't tend to do it illegally. It's pretty cheap to buy manga, especially digital versions. And I think sometimes you can read the first chapter/volume for free, depending on the publisher.
Nov 30, 2015 2:39 AM

Aug 2014
I heard manga is a lot cheaper there than over here, so it's easier to buy a whole series.
Nov 30, 2015 4:13 PM

Jul 2012
Ardanaz said:
I heard manga is a lot cheaper there than over here, so it's easier to buy a whole series.
it's like 4 dollars (400 yen ish, i've heard)
Nov 30, 2015 6:32 PM

Jan 2014
mayukachan said:
Ardanaz said:
it's like 4 dollars (400 yen ish, i've heard)

Yep, that's typical for shounen and shoujo tankoubons new. Seinen and josei are usually around ¥600 and from more niche imprints they can be closer to ¥1000 (which is still just US$8.10). But you can get them even cheaper (¥120) used from Amazon.co.jp or Book Off stores.
Nov 30, 2015 9:30 PM

Nov 2015
I agree. They buy them instead of reading it online XD

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

375 by YahwehTzVaoth »»
3 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

151 by Armandoriel »»
5 hours ago

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - Today

1 by Alexioos95 »»
5 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

21 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:55 PM

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

52 by Luxology »»
Yesterday, 5:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.