Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 29, 2015 9:39 AM

Dec 2012
Street fighter 4 (still play it with it's latest version Ultra)

One of my favorite games ever. I remember watching EVO 2011 SF4 top 8. And it's just drew me in. Saying Poongko destroy Daigo and such. It's the first fighting game that I actually got hardcore about, actually learning combos, timings, punishes. My execution improved massivly after hours of practice. I know as much about this game as the pros do, and was part of the FGC for a while.

I play USF4 online, unfortunately my connection is shit because where I live. I can play a decent match once in a while, and hit my combos if I'm lucky and it's really satisfying.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
It's weird, first time I saw MVC3 when it was hyped and released, I thought it was way too fast for me and not my type of game. But started watching streams and little by little started liking it. Then bought UMVC3, and had quite a learning curve. Now it's really not that fast to me, and I can tell everything that happens in the game. It's came to the point where I actually started preferring it over Street fighter, when I watch streams and such.

The thing I like about it the most, are the long combo. I specifically learn one touch death combos, it feels really good when you do it. Though a lot of people think it's one of the biggest problems within the game.

A big shame that it's scene is almost dead. I wish Capcom is able to make an update to it, but apparently their marvel license expired or something and I doubt MVC4 is going to happen with Capcom financial trouble and it's current effort in revitalizing street fighter.

Aside from those two I tried many fighting games like Persona 4, MK, BlazeBlue, KOF, etc
but they really didn't draw me in like those two, nor did I bother learn much about it, and I don't like watching them on streams at tournaments and events.
Nov 29, 2015 9:43 AM
Apr 2015
Fintan said:
Siruppercut said:

You were thinking of either X-Men vs SF or MSH vs SF on the PS1. The loading time when you tag out your character during the game sucked on both those games. Sega Saturn version with the 4MB ram cart played both those games Arcade perfect.

Oh I meant how the Marvel Vs. Capcom PS1 version just didn't even have the tag out/in options, and I believe there were other drawbacks(don't remember). Never played the ones you mentioned on Ps1. Sounds like they probably should have gone the same route and just eliminated the tag in/out aspect... Better then the game being broken due to the tag out times. It basically just made it more like KOF, it took away a lot of the strategy that was supposed to be in the game though.

Most of the my time playing fighting games was in the arcade and on dreamcast. I didn't even learn about that sega saturn stuff until like 2008 lol. At that point it didn't really matter. PS1 had some good fighting game ports though, like SF alpha's. I always thought the Darkstalkers 3 port for PS1 was good too... What did you think was bad about it?

Loading time, missing animation frames, lower quality sound, and censorship. Blood looks like sweat. It's silly to censor the blood. It's not like it has fatality like MK.

I was wrong about the blood being white. There is no blood in the PS1 version. Mistake it for Mortal Kombat on the SNES where the blood is white.

Source http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/darkstalkers/darkstalkers2.htm
Darkstalkers 3 never really took off in the States, but it was supposedly fairly popular in Japan. Two ports of the game appeared on the PlayStation and Saturn consoles. The Saturn version was virtually identical to its arcade counterpart, and uses the 4MB RAM cart to completely eliminate load times. Unfortunately, since this was only released in Japan, most of us probably had to settle for Darkstalkers 3 on the PlayStation. While inferior to the Saturn version, it is surprisingly decent, a relief after the abysmal PlayStation port of X-Men Vs. Street Fighter. Though there are a ton of missing animations and load times, it's still a close approximation to the original. Both versions include the three characters cut from the arcade game (Donovan, Phobos and Pyron). The PlayStation version also has a slew of extra options to make up for the inferior port quality, such as an art gallery, a character edit mode, the ability to turn on full Savior 2 or Hunter 2 modes, and options to change combo cancels and double jump options. Unfortunately, the minor bits of blood have been completely removed from the American version.
SiruppercutNov 29, 2015 9:57 AM
Nov 29, 2015 10:04 AM

Apr 2011
Siruppercut said:
Fintan said:

Oh I meant how the Marvel Vs. Capcom PS1 version just didn't even have the tag out/in options, and I believe there were other drawbacks(don't remember). Never played the ones you mentioned on Ps1. Sounds like they probably should have gone the same route and just eliminated the tag in/out aspect... Better then the game being broken due to the tag out times. It basically just made it more like KOF, it took away a lot of the strategy that was supposed to be in the game though.

Most of the my time playing fighting games was in the arcade and on dreamcast. I didn't even learn about that sega saturn stuff until like 2008 lol. At that point it didn't really matter. PS1 had some good fighting game ports though, like SF alpha's. I always thought the Darkstalkers 3 port for PS1 was good too... What did you think was bad about it?

Loading time, missing animation frames, lower quality sound, and censorship. Blood looks like sweat. It's silly to censor the blood. It's not like it has fatality like MK.

I was wrong about the blood being white. There is no blood in the PS1 version. Mistake it for Mortal Kombat on the SNES where the blood is white.

Source http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/darkstalkers/darkstalkers2.htm
Darkstalkers 3 never really took off in the States, but it was supposedly fairly popular in Japan. Two ports of the game appeared on the PlayStation and Saturn consoles. The Saturn version was virtually identical to its arcade counterpart, and uses the 4MB RAM cart to completely eliminate load times. Unfortunately, since this was only released in Japan, most of us probably had to settle for Darkstalkers 3 on the PlayStation. While inferior to the Saturn version, it is surprisingly decent, a relief after the abysmal PlayStation port of X-Men Vs. Street Fighter. Though there are a ton of missing animations and load times, it's still a close approximation to the original. Both versions include the three characters cut from the arcade game (Donovan, Phobos and Pyron). The PlayStation version also has a slew of extra options to make up for the inferior port quality, such as an art gallery, a character edit mode, the ability to turn on full Savior 2 or Hunter 2 modes, and options to change combo cancels and double jump options. Unfortunately, the minor bits of blood have been completely removed from the American version.

Yeah I had the PS1 version, and knew nothing else about the game. I remember trying to find other Darkstalkers games, which I had no luck until the Dreamcast. We were used to Japanese games being weird like that though. I had fun playing the PS1 port, compared to other fighting game ports me and my friends never felt anything stuck out as being annoying or noticeably bad.

I could care less about blood. I don't like censoring, but since I didn't know anyways...didn't care.
Nov 29, 2015 10:59 AM
Apr 2015
Fintan said:
Yeah I had the PS1 version, and knew nothing else about the game. I remember trying to find other Darkstalkers games, which I had no luck until the Dreamcast. We were used to Japanese games being weird like that though. I had fun playing the PS1 port, compared to other fighting game ports me and my friends never felt anything stuck out as being annoying or noticeably bad.

I could care less about blood. I don't like censoring, but since I didn't know anyways...didn't care.

Other than the loading time the game played fine. I didn't even care about censorship back then. I got the Sega Saturn version because the loading time and I liked the Sega Saturn controller better than the PS1 for fighting games. Still the best gaming pad, although I only use Arcade stick now for fighting games.

The downside of importing games was having to pay $20-$30 more per game. The years go by so fast... I was barely old enough to drink when this game came out.
Dec 6, 2015 8:31 PM

Jun 2009
3. BlazBlue - Story is mind boggling, overall a relatively balanced game since a good number of characters are represented at most tournaments and a lot of people are hella into character loyalty -which makes for really good rivalries and stuff

2. DOA 5 LR - When you play this game with your friends and realize that EVERYTHING YOU DO IS PUNISHABLE thats when it gets fun and hype. Its a game that wil eventually become muscle memory and you'll only need a few matches to remember your combos with your characters- provided you put the work in- since they arent that bad. plus the game is heavily reliant on reading your opponent's and punishing accordingly

1. Super Smash Bros Melee/ Project Melee
Mar 16, 2016 10:33 AM

Aug 2012
Skullgirls - Best fighting game ever made, hands down;
Guilty Gear Series - AC, +R and Xrd;
Ultra Street Fighter 4 - people love to talk shit about this game, but it was good;
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike - Really unique and fun FG;
Blazblue CP - I only played this game because of Azrael but now I'm really into it. It's a lot of fun.
Mar 16, 2016 10:36 AM

Dec 2015
Mortal Kombat is the only one I've played so...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 16, 2016 12:48 PM

Sep 2015
Love KOF till the dirt nap the overall game play is awesome I also I'm an big billy Kane fanatic hahaha I will light fire up that dookie maker to any opponent.

I love street fighter also can not leave that one out at all
Mar 16, 2016 10:54 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I've spent way more time with USF4 than with any other fighting game. I'm pretty bad, but it's still a lot of fun.

Also Blazblue sounds interesting. May have to check them out.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 17, 2016 3:14 AM
May 2009
Tekken, DOA.

Naruto Narumettie Hero. Or something. Basically 2D Fighting game, but with 3D Graphics similar to Street Fighter 4, but had the DBZ Budokai mechanics.

Was fun. Especially unlocking the Hokages.
Mar 20, 2016 6:58 AM

Apr 2011
insan3soldiern said:
Well, I've spent way more time with USF4 than with any other fighting game. I'm pretty bad, but it's still a lot of fun.

Street fighter is a great game to start with(any of them really) for you first fighting game to get into. The thing with fighting games is usually people will learn pretty slow, but then have a kind of awakening where things click and they kind of "get it". Playing people online will always be tough, they a lot of the time have been playing these games for sometimes 20+ years. It might not be the same game they were playing that whole time, but the fundamentals have not changed much from game to game. Basically if you're good at one Capcom fighting game you can get at least competitive with all the others fairly quick, and not just Capcom of course but I think of their games as the blueprint for all others.
Mar 20, 2016 2:19 PM

Jun 2009
Fintan said:
insan3soldiern said:

Street fighter is a great game to start with(any of them really) for you first fighting game to get into. The thing with fighting games is usually people will learn pretty slow, but then have a kind of awakening where things click and they kind of "get it". Playing people online will always be tough, they a lot of the time have been playing these games for sometimes 20+ years. It might not be the same game they were playing that whole time, but the fundamentals have not changed much from game to game. Basically if you're good at one Capcom fighting game you can get at least competitive with all the others fairly quick, and not just Capcom of course but I think of their games as the blueprint for all others.

Yeah, I've started doing decent but as you say it gets pretty brutal when I go against really good players. You know guys that seem to know every trick in the book, every answer to whatever I do. What I've been doing is doing ranked matches and not worrying so much about winning as just watching how people use the characters.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 21, 2016 8:15 PM

Feb 2015
wwe games (wwe SvR, wwe 2K, ..)

i also like Guilty Gear
Apr 6, 2016 5:41 PM

Apr 2016
I suck at fighting games but i do enjoy Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Marvel vs Capcom.
Apr 7, 2016 1:31 PM

Nov 2012
Tekken 5 is my favorite fighting game of all time but Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Street Fighter III: Third Strike, KoF 95/99 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 are among my favorites after that.
Apr 7, 2016 1:34 PM

Dec 2012
Ston3_FreeN7 said:

What character do you play? What's your PP?
Apr 7, 2016 1:59 PM

Jun 2009
tsudecimo said:
Ston3_FreeN7 said:

I play Sakura after pretty much exclusively doing the rookie thing and playing Ryu, but at this point I've pretty much moved on to SFV where I play Karin. I'd have to look up my PP, but it's pretty low.

edit: 284 pp
Ston3_FreeN7Apr 7, 2016 2:15 PM

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 7, 2016 2:31 PM

Dec 2012
Ston3_FreeN7 said:
tsudecimo said:

I play Sakura after pretty much exclusively doing the rookie thing and playing Ryu, but at this point I've pretty much moved on to SFV where I play Karin. I'd have to look up my PP, but it's pretty low.

edit: 284 pp

Oh I see.

I recommend watching youtube videos for Karin. They have really helpful stuff for her combos and punishes and such.
Apr 9, 2016 5:52 AM

Feb 2015
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Last Blade 2
Samurai Shodown V Special (arcade version)
KOF 98UM & KOF Xlll
Marvel vs Capcom 1 & 2
Capcom vs SNK 2
Thrid Strike
Alpha 3
Apr 9, 2016 6:02 AM

Feb 2015
Super Smash Bros. are the only fighting games I've put in a decent amount of time. I love the freedom of creating your own combos instead of having to memorise button inputs.

I've played a few other, more traditional fighting games, but never got any good at them.
Apr 9, 2016 6:46 AM

Feb 2012
Probably Melee and Soul Calibur II, though there are games that I put more hours in. Also I used to play a lot of Tekken in the 32-bit era. I have tried the newer entries, but I've found them lacking in balance and interesting play modes.
Apr 9, 2016 8:38 AM

Nov 2015
My favorite fighting games ever:

Rival Schools (very niche I know lol good memories playing it back in the day)
MvC2 (truly a classic game. SOO good and better than 3 imo)
Tekken 3 (this and rival schools were huge parts of my childhood gaming)
Mortal Kombat (Shoutout to my mom who didn't care about how 'bad' it was and let me and my cousins play it whenever we wanted. She da real MVP doe)
SSBM (everyone has memories playing smash. I used to have small tourneys at my house lol)
as for more recent fighting games:

Mortal Kombat X/ Injustice: Started my recent trend for picking rush-down characters for some reason. When I played MKX my Jax was getting really good and in Injustice I very rarely ever lost with Doomsday. Games are too easy online tbh most kids just aren't competitive.

P4AU: Haven't played much but I love the series so this game is awesome lol. Also easy for people to get into

recently I've been playing some Street Fighter and it's pretty good! I haven't been able to put in as much time as I like with my Cammy but hey I still got it a little lol.

Hypest moment of all time in fighting games is Daigo v Justin Wong.. moment 37. DAMN that was hype lol. Every Evo has it's great moments though and nobody gets down like the FGC
Apr 9, 2016 10:21 AM

Mar 2009
Dead or Alive 5- Fast gameplay, fun to play character and... Kasumi is my WAIFU

Soul Calibut 5- Althought the story mode is pretty bad, the gameplay and the characters are super fun. The character creation is amazing

Ultra Street Fighter 4- Solid gameplay, and a lot of characters to play

Jojo's Bizarre Advnture All Star Battle: Solid gameplay, a lot of funservice, and many many things to unlock
Apr 9, 2016 10:38 AM
Jul 2018
Don't really play fighting games but Lethal League is pretty cool. If only someone would make a FLCL sprite pack...
Apr 9, 2016 12:28 PM

Oct 2015
Guilty Gear XX and Touhou Urban Legend in Limbo. I don't play fighting games much.
Apr 9, 2016 10:59 PM

Aug 2014
Definitely Super Smash Bros. - I actually prefer Brawl and the 3DS/Wii U versions over Melee, though all three are very solid in general. Haven't played the original one though (I did have a N64 in my house, but hardly many games for it).

I find Street Fighter grossly overrated (and expensive!) in general, and haven't had enough experience with other fighting games to comment on them (I might get Pokken Tournament and/or Hyrule Warriors Legends sometime down the road).
Apr 10, 2016 10:11 PM

Aug 2014
Street Fighter IV. I'm not an extreme fighting game guy, but damn was that game fun. I plan to get SFV down the road.
Apr 10, 2016 11:12 PM
Mar 2008
I am not that much into Fighting Games but i played a lot of them and it depends what type it is.

When its 2D then nothing beats "Guilty Gear" Series
When its 3D then nothing beats "Dead or Alive" Series

When it comes to Street Fighter, i always prefered King of Fighters over SF.
Apr 11, 2016 4:36 AM

Dec 2011
I'm not that big on fighting games but I do enjoy Soul Calibur and Smash Bros. I grew up playing Tekken but lost interest in it years ago.
Apr 11, 2016 5:03 AM

Mar 2016
Street Fighter! Tekken!
*ponders*
Apr 11, 2016 10:22 AM

Jan 2016
I play Guilty Gear, Blazblue, and Street fighter. I enjoyed Persona 4 Ultimax as well. I'm mainly trying to get better at Blazblue and Guilty Gear. Good characters, mechanics, music, and of course it's fun and hype.
Apr 11, 2016 10:30 AM

Nov 2013
Tekken 5 probably. best Tekken, the story makes sense it's kinda addictive and the "modification" feature is cool aswell.

Naruto ultimate hero 3 is also great. Good gameplay, very accessible adventure, I played it in japanese but I manage to get all the characters.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Yesterday

11 by Citrone39 »»
2 hours ago

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

33 by juanlqr »»
3 hours ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

7 by _untitled »»
4 hours ago

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

24 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
7 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

136 by L0bsterman »»
Yesterday, 9:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.