'Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!' 2016 Rankings Revealed

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 26, 2015 7:06 AM
Oct 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:
barmar said:

They're not?

I'm not sure. I don't know how they decide what is or is not eligible. Hence that was a question and not a statement.

I don't recall ever seeing one on the rankings, though.
Well that label did start somewhere around 2013,but yea none of them have ever been on the list so far now that I checked again.But I have not heard anything like them not being eligible/or not collaborating or something of the sort.I'm sure they should be.

You know what?(Salt:on) Must've been the collaborators! It's their fault!Repelling the "Tensei" Invasion that is trying to enlighten the masses! But they will not have the last laugh! HP is going to tank it to no end in the coming years! Mark my words! Kappa

Zefyris said:

Well that poll is asking what you find was the most impressive/bestamong novels published this last year.Obviously lots of peopels are just going to vote like mob for their favourite series without caring if the volume of this year were good enough to justify it. I mean look at Index still in the top 10 for example.
But still, even if WN are more polished in LN format, the story in itself will not surprise them again, so the chances are high that except for hardcore fans of a specific series, that title will not come to mind when they're voting. THey can only vote for 5 titles too.
If you look at the ranking, even though Overlord sold like crazy during the adaptation (ranked in weekly sales 19 times in row), it's still ranked lower than Rokka, who also had an anime this year but didn't even sell enough to have its older volumes rank one single week in the ranking this year. Overlord is originally a Wn, whereas rokka is not. This is definitely playing a role.
While that might have played a role,Overlord WN is significantly different from the LN,some of characters are absent in the WN that were later on added to the light novel(Albedo is one example).Not to mention of course the overall direction of the story and other countless differences. Not sure about WN version of Vol 9 though since I haven't read it.But you do still have a point.

BTW Overlord did get 0 from monitors didn't it? No really whats up with them this year.(Can't see the pattern here! )

*3. Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin
*4. Eirun Last Code: Kakuu Sekai yori Senjou e
*5. Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?

All of these got a 0 as well.
barmarNov 26, 2015 7:11 AM
Nov 26, 2015 7:35 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Pretty much sure that every LN that doesnt have an anime adaptation in this top 10 will get one soon.
DatRandomDudeNov 26, 2015 8:00 AM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 26, 2015 7:54 AM
Jul 2018
Zazie122 said:
Misaka needs to fuck off already.

<3
Nov 26, 2015 8:09 AM

Dec 2014
Zazie122 said:
Misaka needs to fuck off already.

Oh cmon.... Biribiri is not that bad.... :)

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru

FTW!!!! ( °3°)/
Nov 26, 2015 8:23 AM

Nov 2013
DatRandomDude said:
Pretty much sure that every LN that doesnt have an anime adaptation in this top 10 will get one soon.

Not every LN that appeared in this rankings earlier got an anime adaptation.
Nov 26, 2015 9:27 AM
Apr 2015
Ramkec said:
Vindstot said:
No Monogatari or Nisio titles on the list? I am disappoint.

That series is getting less and less relevant by each day.

It's just a popularity ranking. Japanmen prefer self inserts.

Zefyris said:

Best LN in the top 10 afaik. sukasuka is a new title with three volumes over one year that almost got cancelled several times due to poor sales. It's a miracle it's still here, and it's a beautiful story. Volume 2 for example on amazon has nothing but 5 star ratings. Not a single lower rating. Everyone is praising it and I agree, this is far too good to be interrupted.

Alderamin was very good as usual. One of the best military work I've read, and the characters are really likeable, and well developed. Nice

Can you give a summary what SukaSuka is about?
Nov 26, 2015 9:50 AM

Apr 2013
Risara said:
Ramkec said:

It's just a popularity ranking. Japanmen prefer self inserts.

More like, I don't think koudansha box are eligible anymore since a while. Koudansha box is a very pricey edition that is quite opposed to what light novel are supposed to be.

Risara said:
Zefyris said:

Best LN in the top 10 afaik. sukasuka is a new title with three volumes over one year that almost got cancelled several times due to poor sales. It's a miracle it's still here, and it's a beautiful story. Volume 2 for example on amazon has nothing but 5 star ratings. Not a single lower rating. Everyone is praising it and I agree, this is far too good to be interrupted.

Alderamin was very good as usual. One of the best military work I've read, and the characters are really likeable, and well developed. Nice

Can you give a summary what SukaSuka is about?

Sure, I'll just copy/paste what I wrote when Stark asked me the same thing a few hours ago :
Shuumatsu is the best new work I've read in quite a while. There's no action/ecchi/harem in this btw, despite a girl with a sword on the first cover.
It has a very sad feel about it, since it's about a man who take care of young girls who are used as the last defence of the survivors after an apocalypse. In a very kamikaze way, and that race doesn't care for their own life, and don't even understand the value of their own life to begin with. Rather than fighting (he can't), he will try teach them to want to live. As well as how to survive better. It's basically like he's the lead of an orphanage, like he was 500 years ago, but this time a very cruel orphanage. Those girls aren't considered peoples, they are considered weapons.

What it's about :
Nov 26, 2015 9:58 AM

Dec 2014
^is there a translation for shuumatsu??? (Tried using google-sensei....)
Your summary is kind of interesting... I just finished vol 1 of alderamin and it is quite good....
Nov 26, 2015 10:12 AM

Apr 2013
No there isn't, it's not well known at all, and it's a series that started around one year ago, so it's fairly recent too.
Alderamin's volume 1 is pretty much the weakest of all the volumes ImO.
Nov 26, 2015 10:18 AM

Dec 2014
Oic... Ty for the info. :)
Nov 26, 2015 11:08 AM
Aug 2014
Awesome! I love Oregairu and I'm so glad to see it on top. Hachiman definitely deserves the spot of best Male MC.
Nov 26, 2015 12:34 PM

Aug 2015
only no game no life is exception in that list
Nov 26, 2015 1:11 PM

Jun 2015
Oregairu domination lol
Nov 26, 2015 5:25 PM
Apr 2015
Come on just give us Index III :'(
Nov 26, 2015 8:40 PM

Oct 2007
Ramkec said:
Vindstot said:
No Monogatari or Nisio titles on the list? I am disappoint.

I've started to notice and I can only see this as a good thing and have been presently surprised at how muted and keeping to themselves people are over the Owarimonogatari season compared to past ones such that I don't have to deal with listening to that fanbases "opinions" and beaking off if I choose not to which I definitely do.

Also generally saying you're going to end something and then immediately launching into more of it without even so much as a few months layoff is pretty poor form and tends to lead to things wearing out their welcome and their and the authors reputation dropping faster than not bald faced lying about your plans for it at all. Aside from things marketed largely at kids people do get worn out a bit over certain things too that clearly need a break from constant sequels and installments, it's happened to Gundam a few times in the mid 90's and late 00's, it's been happening to Precure slowly but surely over the years, it's just natural.
PeacingOutNov 26, 2015 8:45 PM
Nov 26, 2015 8:54 PM

Sep 2013
D-Joe said:
ichii_1 said:
"overlord nowhere in sight"

It's in #25
Here is Top 60/30/30/57 of LNs/Female/Male/Illustrators
https://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=5710629&postcount=536

It's okay I guess, needs new seasons for more exposure.
No females made it :O

Novels
25. Overlord <3

Male
14. Ainz Ooal Gown (Overlord), sasuga Ainz-sama.

Illustrator
28. so-bin (Overlord)

ichii_1Nov 26, 2015 9:55 PM
Nov 26, 2015 11:36 PM
May 2012
Snafu s3.
Nov 26, 2015 11:56 PM

Apr 2013
ichii_1 said:
D-Joe said:

It's in #25
Here is Top 60/30/30/57 of LNs/Female/Male/Illustrators
https://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=5710629&postcount=536

It's okay I guess, needs new seasons for more exposure.

That would probably have little to no influence at all.

Tengai said:
Snafu s3.

There's isn't even a single volume released after the end of the s2. The lack of material is complete. Furthermore, I highly doubt this series will go far enough in volume to have enough material for a s3 before ending.
Nov 27, 2015 2:52 AM

Oct 2007
Stark700 said:
*8. Saika Totsuka (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.)

Oh yeah best male characte, but in what way?

The list is either lazy list or they should change the title to "This Light Novel is Popular!"

No wonder one should only take top internet list with a grain of salt. They tell you nothing but "I love this series because I love it."

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Nov 27, 2015 1:26 PM

Apr 2013
Siva said:
Stark700 said:

The list is either lazy list or they should change the title to "This Light Novel is Popular!"

No wonder one should only take top internet list with a grain of salt. They tell you nothing but "I love this series because I love it."

The poll for the novel ranking isn't a simple popularity poll (the characters and the illustrator are however).
If it was only a popularity poll, almost half of that top 10 wouldn't even make it to a top 100.
Nov 27, 2015 11:39 PM
Oct 2011
Siva said:
Stark700 said:

Illu and characater list are the result of pure popularity votes.

For the novels there are 3 types of voters ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°):

Nov 28, 2015 12:31 AM

Apr 2013
barmar said:

For the novels there are 3 types of voters ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°):

Rofl. The 1 and 3 are very appropriate, good job.
Nov 28, 2015 7:43 AM

Jun 2013
As always, Index dominates these rankings hard. Just hoping the series gains it's charm back that has been lost after NT vol 10. Feeling same for Oregairu after vol 9 (or maybe I've to just get back in the loop).

Some of the new titles seem interesting. Will have to bait n' fish for some translators on bakatsuki.

Terribly disappointed about SO-BIN's ranking.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Nov 28, 2015 9:06 AM
Jan 2015
Oregairu
Index
SAO
Mahouka
NGNL

I'm glad all of them are ranked really high, with Mahouka just barely missing the top 10 at 11th.

Durarara and Monogatari need more love though
My Queens

Nov 29, 2015 1:00 AM

Jan 2015
That feel when Mushoku Tensei isn't ranked at all.

Unsurprisingly Biribiri is still popular. And Oregairu continues to dominate in popularity. Can't wait for the inevitable troll ending.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Nov 29, 2015 1:07 AM

Apr 2013
Mushoku tensei is another WN so 1) it enters in the same explanation I gave above (yes know that in case of Mushoku tensei the LN version is very different) AND Mushoku tensei isn't even especially popular in japan to begin with. The sales aren't anything impressive.
Nov 29, 2015 2:30 AM

Mar 2013
OreGairu domination.
Nov 30, 2015 2:02 AM

Sep 2013
Misaka Mikoto has taken her spot again :D
Nov 30, 2015 7:54 PM

Jan 2015
Zefyris said:
Mushoku tensei is another WN so 1) it enters in the same explanation I gave above (yes know that in case of Mushoku tensei the LN version is very different) AND Mushoku tensei isn't even especially popular in japan to begin with. The sales aren't anything impressive.

What's the difference between the WN and LN? Or which is on Baka-tsuki? Because that was one pretty kick-ass read.
Dec 1, 2015 10:12 AM
Oct 2011
bobzanny said:

What's the difference between the WN and LN? Or which is on Baka-tsuki? Because that was one pretty kick-ass read.
Hmm did you check the notes on baka-tsuki they say which one is from where(only the first volume and a bit of 2 I think..... the rest is WN)

As for the differences so far(there are only 8 LN volumes out) there's not much it seems, except for Vol7 which is a new story that takes place between the original vol 6 and vol 7 of the WN.You know when Rudeus was still adventuring all those years.
barmarDec 1, 2015 10:28 AM
Dec 1, 2015 2:48 PM

Jan 2015
barmar said:
bobzanny said:

Hmm did you check the notes on baka-tsuki they say which one is from where(only the first volume and a bit of 2 I think..... the rest is WN)

As for the differences so far(there are only 8 LN volumes out) there's not much it seems, except for Vol7 which is a new story that takes place between the original vol 6 and vol 7 of the WN.You know when Rudeus was still adventuring all those years.

Well I knew that some volumes were LN and most were WN but I didn't know how much content was actually different. It almost sounded that the LN and WN had major differences.
Dec 1, 2015 2:53 PM

Apr 2013
bobzanny said:
barmar said:

Well I knew that some volumes were LN and most were WN but I didn't know how much content was actually different. It almost sounded that the LN and WN had major differences.

To clarify, in Mushoku tensei's case, I haven't read either version. I simply remember reading several times that the story diverges greatly passed several volumes. How much those comments were true and in what do they diverge, that I don't know.
Dec 1, 2015 3:08 PM

Jun 2013
Zefyris said:
bobzanny said:

To clarify, in Mushoku tensei's case, I haven't read either version. I simply remember reading several times that the story diverges greatly passed several volumes. How much those comments were true and in what do they diverge, that I don't know.

I think you heard that about tate no yuusha, after some volume the story diverges in LN from WN very much. Mushoku tensei is same save for additional new content like vol 7 or extra short stories.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Dec 2, 2015 5:27 AM

Apr 2013
^Now that you mention it, that's very possible indeed I'm confusing those two on that point. Well, if Mushoku tensei doesn't have big difference, it fits even more my explanation about why WN have a hard time to rank.
Dec 4, 2015 7:19 AM

Jan 2014
Not much changed from the last year's rankings. Misaka back to top and SAO number 2. Nice :)

Zefyris said:

yakami95 said:
Really? Sao and kirito in the second place? I can not understand this ranking

The ranking concern the volumes released on the last one year period of time. IF a series wasn't that good but that the last few volumes published were far better for example, it deserves to be higher. For example NGNL volume 6 was far FAR better than the previous one. And last year it ranked very high. That was fully deserved. It's less deserved this year, but volume 7 was stil better than volumes 1-5 imo.
As such, what is ranked here about SAO are the last current volumes of the alicization arc. Which are said to be quite better than the previous arc (I don't know, didn't read them). Obviously still, SAO is the LN that sells the most currently. SO you're going to have peoples voting for it just because they're fan, just like Index.

That's right.
Fun thing is, if you check the rankings from the last year, the most votes SAO gets are not from casual readers (oregairu completely overpowers any other LN in this category), but instead from the pros (if I'm not mistaken with the industry, which as far as I remember, mostly votes for a new and unpopular series). SAO got like 2x votes the second place. So ye... That's why it's so high on the list, because of the weighted rankings, rather then actual popularity.
TapuTapuuDec 4, 2015 7:29 AM
Dec 18, 2015 1:43 AM
Jul 2018
*2. Yukino Yukinoshita (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.)
Shit taste confirmed. I will commit sudoku now, Japanese people's taste prefference is beyond help.
Dec 18, 2015 4:30 PM

Nov 2013
Onii-chan said:
*2. Yukino Yukinoshita (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.)
Shit taste confirmed. I will commit sudoku now, Japanese people's taste prefference is beyond help.

Salty about the fact the Yukinon is best grill?
Dec 19, 2015 8:13 AM

Sep 2014
I have to admit, seeing Yahari dominate made me smile c:

It's nice to see index be popular too.(s3 wheeeeeeeeeen)
Jan 22, 2016 2:42 AM
Dec 2015
Where's the fuck ESCAPE SPEED anime adaptation???

It's AMAZING by the way
Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

58 by bibyy »»
23 minutes ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
2 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 5 hours ago

1 by deg »»
4 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.