Forum Settings
Forums

Will Google Eventually Ruin Business For Translators ?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 24, 2015 5:57 PM
Mar 2011
uts suck for Stuff koreaen Japanese and Chinese or abugid based langauges and over all it always weill
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 24, 2015 5:59 PM

Jul 2012
lol it barely works for chinese and japanese

whenever i translate japanese tweets in google translate, it becomes gibberish.....
Nov 24, 2015 6:07 PM

Mar 2008
mayukachan said:
lol it barely works for chinese and japanese

whenever i translate japanese tweets in google translate, it becomes gibberish.....
Tweets are gibberish to begin with.
Nov 24, 2015 6:48 PM

Nov 2011
" Will Google Eventually Ruin Business For Translators ?"

(english) -> japanese -> spanish -> french -> korean -> portuguese -> english

"You want to destroy the last business Google Translator?"

translation seems legit.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Nov 24, 2015 8:28 PM

Mar 2014
Origianal sentence: No matter what circumstances you have, you can grab happiness.

English>Japanese>Spanish>Arabic>German>Zulu (Yeah that's a language.)>Swedish>Maori>Korean>French>Bonsanian>Engrish.

You can not do anything to you good luck liver.

At what point was my liver even brought into this?

My poor liver . . . I'm so sorry Google Translate has shamed you.

Noboru, here was the German: Ungeachtet der Umstände, die Sie haben, werden Sie nicht in der Lage, das Glück zu greifen.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Nov 24, 2015 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
nah it's still shit
Nov 24, 2015 9:28 PM

Sep 2015
Just think about translating something extremely subjective, like stories.
Nov 25, 2015 2:19 AM

May 2015
traed said:
English > Chinese > Hebrew > Russian > Welsh > Greek > then reversed
MAL is a fucked up forum
MAL是一團糟論壇
הוא פורום בלגן MAL
ТЗА является форумом беспорядок
Mal yn anhwylder fforwm
Mal είναι ένα φόρουμ διαταραχή
Fforwm anhwylder Mal yn
Мал расстройства форум
פורום הפרעת מייל
論壇障礙郵件
Forum obstacle Mail

The second Hebrew translation means "Mail Disturbance Forum".
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 25, 2015 2:24 AM

May 2015
Noboru said:
What does?
V2 and VSO
Nov 25, 2015 8:58 AM

Jan 2009
StardustNyako said:
Origianal sentence: No matter what circumstances you have, you can grab happiness.

Noboru, here was the German: Ungeachtet der Umstände, die Sie haben, werden Sie nicht in der Lage, das Glück zu greifen.
The Meaning was already lost in Translation. What the Sentence describes is the Opposite of what you wanted to convey. The only thing missing is the Verb "sein" (to be):
"Ungeachtet der Umstände, die Sie haben, werden Sie nicht in der Lage sein, das Glück zu ergreifen."

More word-for-wordly, it would be "Regardless of the Circumstances that you have, you won't be able/in a Position to grab Happiness."

It's obvious that multiple Machine Translations, especially in exotic Languages, will eventually corrupt the Meaning. The original Sentence directly translated to German would be, according to Google Translate, "Egal welchen Umständen haben Sie, können Sie das Glück zu greifen."

First Fail is, that Dative Case (indirect Object) was used for "Umstände" instead of the Accusative Case (direct Object). Maybe the Translator is too stupid to interpret two Accusative Objects and assumes that if there's one of them, the other has to be in Dative Case.
Then it didn't pick up correctly that the Sentence starts with a subordinated Clause and thus the Pronoun "Sie" and the Verb "haben" should be swapped, because the Verb comes last in Sentences like that. Strangely, the Translator got the Position of the Verb in the Main Sentence right, because it takes the second Position of the whole Sentence since the Sentence started with a subordinated Clause.
The only Thing to criticize on the Main Sentence is that "zu" (to) should've been left out, so one grammatically correct Translation would be "Egal welche Umstände Sie haben, können Sie das Glück ergreifen." although one would rather separate the subordinated Clause with the Main Clause, because they don't make Sense like that, so it would be rather : "Egal welche Umstände Sie haben: Sie können das Glück ergreifen." which would sound less awkward.

edit: "ergreifen" sounds more fitting.

EminemVEVO said:
V2 and VSO
V2 means "Verb on second Position", so it doesn't matter whether you start with the Subject or Object (unless they are too similar that you can only distinguish the Subject from the Object based on its Position, since Subjects normally come before the Objects). It would be something like "A very fast, green Bike rode the annoying, lazy Paul" or "The annoying, lazy Paul rode a very fast, green Bike" (in English, only the latter one is acceptable). In both Cases, the second Idea or Position of the Sentence is highlighted.

VSO means Verb first, then Subject and Object(s) at last. For Example:
"Rode the annoying, lazy Paul a very fast, green Bike."

I don't see how the Example Sentence in VSO is anywhere similar in Structure from the ones with V2. If anything is similar or can be similar to V2, then it's SVO (Subject-Verb-Object) because the Condition that the Verb comes second is still fulfilled.
NoboruNov 25, 2015 9:05 AM
Nov 25, 2015 9:14 AM

May 2015
Noboru said:
V2 means "Verb on second Position", so it doesn't matter whether you start with the Subject or Object (unless they are too similar that you can only distinguish the Subject from the Object based on its Position, since Subjects normally come before the Objects). It would be something like "A very fast, green Bike rode the annoying, lazy Paul" or "The annoying, lazy Paul rode a very fast, green Bike" (in English, only the latter one is acceptable). In both Cases, the second Idea or Position of the Sentence is highlighted.

But the verb isn't in the second position in any of those sentences?
Nov 25, 2015 9:15 AM

Oct 2014
I don't think so they can't even get idioms right
Nov 25, 2015 9:28 AM

May 2015
Cnon said:
I don't think so they can't even get idioms right

I give seventeen in that.
Nov 25, 2015 9:37 AM

Mar 2014
Noboru: German seems complicated. LOL but you're really skilled at breaking down sentences into clauses. I've never heard of these terms LOL. LAnguage can be really complicated.

I studied Japanese all 4 years of high school so whn I translated this into Japanese, I knew GT had made it a double negative as you saw in it's German translation. I'd decided to leave it and see if it would change back.

Tried this experiment again with a different phrase:

English: When a rainbow appears I become a Rabbit.
Welsh:Pan enfys yn ymddangos , yr wyf yn dod yn cwningen .
Russian:Когда появится радуга , я стану кролика .
Arabic: عندما ترى قوس قزح ، وسوف تصبح الأرانب.
Japanese: あなたは虹を見て、ウサギになりますとき。
Polish:Zajrzeć na tęczy, gdy będzie to królik .
Korean:이 토끼 때 무지개 봐
German:Sehen Sie, wenn dieses Kaninchen Regenbogen
Swedish: Se om detta Rabbit Rainbow (LOL)
Greek:Se om Detta Κουνέλι Rainbow
Czech: SE om Detta Rabbit Duha

Can't seem to get it to translate back to English at this point, so I put the German back in and returned to English.

English: See if this Rabbit Rainbow.

Once again the problem, as far as I can tell began with the Japanese. The subject of the sentence is "anata" or You, which was not in the original sentence. Th first part translates to "When you see a rainbow," (Not Google translate, this is me translating Japanese.)
Second part is right exept there should not be the "toki" at the very end. In this case "Toki" means "When" however the verb in the first part being in the conjugation it's in conveys basically the same meaning, making the とき needless.

English to German directly: Wenn ein Regenbogen erscheint , werde ich ein Kaninchen .
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Nov 25, 2015 11:55 AM

Jan 2009
EminemVEVO said:
But the verb isn't in the second position in any of those sentences?
2nd Position doesn't mean second Word. It means second Position in either S-V-O (Subject - Verb - Object) like in English or O-V-S (Object-Verb-Subject). It just states that both are possible.
The Sentence "Gorgeous Flowers blossom in the sunny Field" doesn't have the Verb "blossom" as the second Word, either. Yet the Structure Subject(s) first, Verb second and Object(s) stay(s) the same with the Verb as the second Thing in the Structure.

StardustNyako said:
German seems complicated. LOL but you're really skilled at breaking down sentences into clauses. I've never heard of these terms LOL.
I can't make any Statements from a Learner's Point, but I wouldn't classify German under the most complicated Languages.
Which one of the Terms haven't you heard? I can understand V2 (Verb second) or VF (Verb final), but you should've at least heard about what a Subject, a Verb, an Object and a subordinated Clause/Main Clause is in English Classes.

StardustNyako said:
Wenn ein Regenbogen erscheint , werde ich ein Kaninchen .
While you can translate it to that, it sounds very awkward. I would rather use: Wenn ein Regenbogen erscheint, verwand(e)le ich mich in ein Kaninchen" which would be "If a Rainbow appears, I turn/change into a Rabbit."

Actually, the Japanese Interpretation "When you see a rainbow" is already fine and dandy as it doesn't change the Meaning. But if other Languages are depending on other words like "when", which may be missed or scrambled in the one or other Language and it doesn't get translated back on its proper Place, it will destroy the whole Interpretation.
NoboruNov 25, 2015 11:58 AM
Nov 25, 2015 11:57 AM

May 2015
Do you include adverbs? Or is it only subjects, verbs and objects?
Nov 25, 2015 12:03 PM

Jan 2009
EminemVEVO said:
Do you include adverbs? Or is it only subjects, verbs and objects?
The Basic Structure only includes Subjects, Verbs and Objects. But that doesn't mean that you can't use an Adverb; they are just not considered as being either first, second or final Position in a Sentence.

For Example, you could say the very primitive Sentence: "I drink Water." Which has everything needed to make a Statement. Of Course, you can describe the Action more in Detail: "I quickly drink Water" or "I drink Water fast" in which Cases there is still Subject first (I), Verb second (drink) and Object last (Water). What else is in the Sentence isn't of Importance for the Basic Structure.
NoboruNov 25, 2015 12:07 PM
Nov 25, 2015 12:22 PM

Jan 2015
Google Translate is terrible. It's bad enough when you translate an Indo-European language (their structures are similar to eachother), and when it's another language with a different grammar system, it's a disaster.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

16 by Adverrito »»
22 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

32 by KenaiPhoenix »»
22 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

16 by Adverrito »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

20 by KenaiPhoenix »»
41 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Today

26 by KenaiPhoenix »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.