Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Nov 22, 2015 5:44 PM

Nov 2009
martelor said:
#me: Grab the popcorn and enjoy the movie

you need lots of popcorn tho, enough for 2 years.

Also, I get this strange feeling that some ppls here "fantasize" about Mimi in "that way"...

DATS24 said:

well, it's kinda sad that ppl like never ending silly adventure with stupid character resetting over the time and never grow up more than an actual series that have an ending and the characters do grow up

Yea, I like Digimon too, it's a good show.

But as said, being a non-continues show makes it more forgettable than Pokemon who just continues... people around the world would know what Pokemon is before they know what Digimon is. (or not even know of Digimon at all, like that one guy in this thread asking if he should watch Digimon before watching this... tells you it's his first time looking into Digimon)
amlgNov 22, 2015 6:02 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Nov 22, 2015 6:08 PM

Mar 2008
Wow, where the heck did all the complaining come from. Considering what I thought might happen with Toei, this was everything I could have hoped for.

The only critiques I'd have would be the lack of mention of what is up with the season 2 cast (which may be covered next movie) and the lack of communication in the end fight. Digimon aren't Pokemon, they can talk.

But honestly this was downright amazing in terms of a Digimon sequel. The cast is older and they are facing things more seriously. Monster battles in the city are a big deal with major consequences so it's good that Tai is actually dealing with those concerns.

I mean come on that Greymon vs Kuwagamon first fight was nostalgia gold.

And yeah they are tackling the shipping wars head on.

Also interesting to see Joe apparently hitting his academic ceiling here. He may have to face the reality that he just can't be a doctor and has to find a different route.
Nov 22, 2015 6:30 PM
Apr 2013
amlg said:
martelor said:
#me: Grab the popcorn and enjoy the movie

you need lots of popcorn tho, enough for 2 years.

Also, I get this strange feeling that some ppls here "fantasize" about Mimi in "that way"...

DATS24 said:

well, it's kinda sad that ppl like never ending silly adventure with stupid character resetting over the time and never grow up more than an actual series that have an ending and the characters do grow up

Yea, I like Digimon too, it's a good show.

But as said, being a non-continues show makes it more forgettable than Pokemon who just continues... people around the world would know what Pokemon is before they know what Digimon is. (or not even know of Digimon at all, like that one guy in this thread asking if he should watch Digimon before watching this... tells you it's his first time looking into Digimon)

I think that it's not forgettable for many ppl, having a big fanbase proved it. Some things would be better being not that popular coz most of very popular things nowadays are bad. I myself prefer digimon to be like this, being not that popular is good.
Nov 22, 2015 6:31 PM

Mar 2015
srwgfan said:
Ah it's finally here! :) just finished watching it and there are some complaints that i would like to point it out.

1. Characters Design

I don't like it very much i was hoping Toei would hire Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru back and letting him doing the art for this sequel :/ Oh well.. i guess it's impossible now :( It might take a while to get used to it. But i'm glad that they didn't alter the original Digimon designs though :)

2. Missing Shouting Power Attacks and Missing Digimon Hurt/Cries sound effects

I wonder if it's just me that noticed something is missing during the fights? I would be lying to myself if i didn't felt anything strange during the fights. Watching Digimon fighting is awesome! but it felt really really weird when the Chosen Ones Digimons isn't shouting it's power attacks like it used to =.= And let's not forget about the Hurt/Cries sound effects it's missing as well :( Definitely felt that it was rushed. It's so freaking weird that whenever The Chosen Ones Digimons join in the fight and they automatically became muted :( EXCEPT Togemon she did indeed shout her Power Attack Chiku Chiku Bam Bam thank god! :)

Besides of that, all i heard was punching,kicking stomping,ramming into objects, explosion sound effects. I really hope they won't screw this up! =.=

I totally agreed with the shouting attacks being missing as I pointed out in page 4. I mean come on. For the last 15 years they have always been doing it and now it's gone? The game, the movies, the series, all have those shouting attacks and cries. Now it's just like a still animation with no sound effect.

Nov 22, 2015 6:49 PM
Apr 2013
DarklordVor said:
srwgfan said:
Ah it's finally here! :) just finished watching it and there are some complaints that i would like to point it out.

1. Characters Design

I don't like it very much i was hoping Toei would hire Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru back and letting him doing the art for this sequel :/ Oh well.. i guess it's impossible now :( It might take a while to get used to it. But i'm glad that they didn't alter the original Digimon designs though :)

2. Missing Shouting Power Attacks and Missing Digimon Hurt/Cries sound effects

I wonder if it's just me that noticed something is missing during the fights? I would be lying to myself if i didn't felt anything strange during the fights. Watching Digimon fighting is awesome! but it felt really really weird when the Chosen Ones Digimons isn't shouting it's power attacks like it used to =.= And let's not forget about the Hurt/Cries sound effects it's missing as well :( Definitely felt that it was rushed. It's so freaking weird that whenever The Chosen Ones Digimons join in the fight and they automatically became muted :( EXCEPT Togemon she did indeed shout her Power Attack Chiku Chiku Bam Bam thank god! :)

Besides of that, all i heard was punching,kicking stomping,ramming into objects, explosion sound effects. I really hope they won't screw this up! =.=

I totally agreed with the shouting attacks being missing as I pointed out in page 4. I mean come on. For the last 15 years they have always been doing it and now it's gone? The game, the movies, the series, all have those shouting attacks and cries. Now it's just like a still animation with no sound effect.

bokura no war game movie also doesn't shout attacks AT ALL, yet it's still the digimon movie most ppl admired. Double standard at its best
Nov 22, 2015 7:53 PM

Apr 2008
the pacing and feel of the anime is obviously more mature than 01 and 02, which i love. the design and animation styles take some getting used to. i felt like the fan service was a little bit over the top and i wish there was a little more reveal on what exactly went on with the 02 kids, and i could care less about the new girl, but overall really enjoyed it. it's too bad we have to wait another couple months for the next installment :( guess I'll finish rewatching Tamers in the mean while..
Nov 23, 2015 1:57 AM

Aug 2013
I enjoyed it. The new character designs didn't bother me.

I did have a problem with the final fight. It felt rushed. I wanted to see the new transformations and I wanted some voices.

The Taichi inner conflict stuff was dragged out a bit too much.

7/10
garydaiNov 26, 2015 12:38 AM
Nov 23, 2015 5:14 AM

Jul 2013
MrKai23 said:
I don't know how they screwed up so bad. Bad animation, bad writing and the fights were also bad. Omegamon and the Utlimate forms were a DEUS machine. Like they put no thought into this when they made it.

Digimon seasons aren't perfect but they were enjoyable. Tri just made me cringe.

Did you even watch Bokura no War Game? They had Ultimate evolutions long before and Omegamon first appeared during the movie and even made a second appearance on Diablomon's Strikes Back though this one is questionable considering the chances of it getting retconned.
Nov 23, 2015 5:25 AM

May 2011
Whining is very funny.
Nov 23, 2015 6:00 AM

May 2009
Damage control is just as funny.
Nov 23, 2015 6:05 AM
Nov 2015
I thought the movie was quite astounding in many aspects.

-For one thing, the opening definitely had us going "Wha...." with the 02 season characters looking like they got destroyed by something. We can't be sure if Alphamon is the one responsible for their downfall or not since he could've appeared after they had fallen.

-The overall animation admittedly took some time to get used to since we're used to seeing the old drawing of the season 01 characters, but I grew to like the new style.

-Taichi's hesitation to fight makes sense on a very human level. He's almost an adult, so he begins to feel responsibility over his actions. Of course, what Yamato said was true, but if I had been in Taichi's shoes, I don't think I could've even moved. Thinking about accidentally killing other people would be nerve wracking, wouldn't it? I mean, having a digimon partner that can practically take out an army tank is a huge responsibility itself.

-I don't mind the changes in the evolution sequence. I thought it was a pretty cool revamp of the original. Somewhat new and yet, still classic is what I felt it to be.

-Not calling out the attack names was somewhat of an interesting change (I noticed only Togemon actually called out the attack name), but I don't mind that either. It's more realistic that way (if you can ever have a rating for realism in digimon).

-It's just a pity that Jyou and Gomamon barely got any screen time. I mean, I've heard that the next part of the movie will most likely feature Gomamon's Ultimate(Mega in English I guess) evolution, but I really wanted to see him evolve into Ikkakumon along with the others.

-I'm wondering when and how Meiko met with Meikumon(?) and when she got her digivice. I've heard that Meikumon was the digimon that was born from the egg shown at the very beginning of part 1 which apparently had a virus in it.

-I definitely want to know why the gang didn't even think about the season 02 cast. I mean, judging from Hikari and Takeru's digivices, they must be in a timeline when season 02 did happen. Hopefully, part 2 will clarify this at least.

-I kept wondering why the others didn't go to their Perfect(Ultimate in English) level when fighting Alphamon. Gabumon and Agumon sure didn't have any problem going to Ultimate(Mega) and finally Jogressing into Omegamon.

-I wonder if Gennai will show up again. That would be pretty cool, but I never did understand how he managed to go back to being young again...Also, I wonder if Daigo Nishijima(?)'s motives are good or secretly evil. Same goes for the organization that he works for.

-Pretty cool how Taichi's goggles have an actual use now. It would've made more sense if all of them had one, but I guess Koushiro only had time for one.

-Yamato and Taichi's rivalry/friendship is pretty much the same. It's just that they're now actually bickering about stuff that really matters now. Glad to see them teaming up in the end again like old times.

-I can understand all the complaints about Taichi having too many flashbacks of destroyed buildings. I mean, it just seems like a way to make up for some time the animators have to cover without having to use new scenes. I can understand that, but it is still disappointing.

-By the way, is this the first time they actually destroyed a digimon that wasn't inherently evil or made up of Dark Towers? I only remember them killing off digimons like the Dark Masters or digimons made of Dark Towers, but not any other type of digimon.
Nov 23, 2015 6:17 AM
Nov 2015
Oh, I really liked the scene where Taichi's mom actually interacted with Tailmon and Agumon. We rarely see adults interact with digimon, so that was pretty cool.

And I think a bit of slice of life theme in the movie wasn't bad either. It seems more relatable that way. They are in the real world after all, not in the Digital World.
Nov 23, 2015 6:23 AM
Nov 2015
Just came up with another question while rewatching the last scene. Why does it seem like part of Omegamon's head was disappearing just as he was using the Garuru Blaster? That fight scene seemed pretty awkward...
Nov 23, 2015 6:29 AM
Apr 2013
qano92 said:
Just came up with another question while rewatching the last scene. Why does it seem like part of Omegamon's head was disappearing just as he was using the Garuru Blaster? That fight scene seemed pretty awkward...

you noticed that they became baby level after that? I guess too much energy used, or forced
Nov 23, 2015 6:40 AM

May 2009
Saw the movie in the theaters and then watched it again to see if I misunderstood anything. For the most part I liked it, but there were some things I did dislike...

Evolution sequences: For me, I didn't like them much at all. I know they were trying to update it and make it cooler....but I kinda didn't mind the original evolution sequences. I guess I just prefer a dark background as opposed to a bright one.

Attack calls: This is minor, but other than Togemon's "Chiku Chiku Bang Bang", I missed hearing everyone else's attack calls.

Voices: I didn't care for some of the voices for the kids...mainly Hikari and Sora for some reason. The others I didn't mind so much...but still miss the original voice cast for the kids. It was strange hearing AiM performing the ending (I didn't like it, personally and prefer the original version), but not reprising her role as Mimi.

2005 vs 2015: I know this movie should be taking place in 2005, but at some points it felt more like 2015. I can't pinpoint it exactly...but mostly the phones. Those good streams they were getting on their phones just surprised me, given that wi-fi being everywhere wasn't really much of a thing here until maybe a couple of years ago. I also didn't know that phones in 2005 (even here in Japan) had a camera function...but who knows, I could be wrong. The clothes at times felt more 2015 than 2005 as well (I'm looking at you Takeru and Yamato lol)...but yeah, this is just me being nitpicky.

02 cast: Okay, unlike some, I liked the 02 kids. I didn't have a problem with them being defeated or whatnot and I'm hoping that it gets explained and that for the next few films they cast for those characters and their Digimon (and here's hoping they keep their original seiyuu like the Adventure Digimon...although it'd be weird to have Urawa Megumi back for Armadimon and not Iori...), but I had a super MAJOR problem with the fact that the kids themselves didn't mention them at all, especially Takeru and Hikari. Daisuke is in the same year as Takeru and Hikari. Iori and Miyako live in the same building as Takeru. Ken is their friend. Daisuke and Hikari's paths home are the same, just as Iori, Miyako, and Takeru's are the same. All of them would be in junior high school, minus Iori who'd still be an elementary school student. I mean, what the heck? This is the only real legit problem I had with the movie, actually. It also bothered me that Takeru and Hikari weren't with the others for that battle the other 02 kids were in. Where were they? Why weren't they there? I know that this is part 1 of 6, so I'm willing to give this a partial pass.

Suspension of disbelief: Koushirou having his own office... lol I don't like it, but I don't dislike it either. Just surprised me.

Other than these things, I'm sort of okay with the film. I really liked Taichi in this film. It is something to think about. Yes, their Digimon are fighting to help others, but in such circumstances, there'll always be innocent victims in all of it because of the destruction caused. I can understand how bad he must feel being an indirect cause of that. Of course he probably didn't think about it, as his main adventure was in the Digital World and even in the real world, now that I think about it, had he ever witnessed those being harmed from their battles before? I don't recall it at all. Either way, I like how this just shows how much Taichi has matured and grown. He's not all, jump in and fight now, and think later.

People going on about Jou...well, I had no problem with his role for this film and being busy. He's in his last year of high school and preparing for university entrance exams. He was also preparing for junior high entrance exams back in 01 (which isn't common at all, unless going to a private junior high school, which he was for 02) and probably studying a lot in 02 for his his high school entrance exam. Here in Japan they take that very very seriously. He's also intent on becoming a doctor and has to get into a GOOD university and university entrance exams are pretty challenging...so I had no problem with Jou being busy studying as I predicted this would be the case regardless given his age and such and was just expecting it anyway.

Oh yeah, I also liked the Koushirou x Mimi stuff, but I'm being a bit hypocritical since that's my all-time favorite pairing period. Thank you love-letter drama from 15 years ago for really getting me into that pairing. lol It's just so cute seeing Koushirou in this way. He's being indirectly direct, if that makes any sense as the others seemed to have picked up on it. lol Wonder where they'll go with that...

FlareKnight said:
But honestly this was downright amazing in terms of a Digimon sequel. The cast is older and they are facing things more seriously. Monster battles in the city are a big deal with major consequences so it's good that Tai is actually dealing with those concerns.
Yes, I felt this was well-done, realistic, and believable. Most of their battles had been in the Digital World, not the real world. Mostly, things were taken care of or dealt with before anything truly major happened. Witnessing it just opened Taichi's eyes.
Also interesting to see Joe apparently hitting his academic ceiling here. He may have to face the reality that he just can't be a doctor and has to find a different route.
He's probably studying too much. We know he has to become a doctor though. I'm pretty sure that they're not ditching or ignoring the canon of Adventure 02 since the 02 kids do exist.
Nov 23, 2015 6:48 AM

May 2015
Nostalgic, but could be done better. 6/10

Nice job Toei
Nov 23, 2015 6:48 AM

Sep 2007
where is everyone watching this from?
Nov 23, 2015 7:01 AM
Sep 2011
ssjup81 said:
but I had a super MAJOR problem with the fact that the kids themselves didn't mention them at all, especially Takeru and Hikari. Daisuke is in the same year as Takeru and Hikari. Iori and Miyako live in the same building as Takeru. Ken is their friend. Daisuke and Hikari's paths home are the same, just as Iori, Miyako, and Takeru's are the same. All of them would be in junior high school, minus Iori who'd still be an elementary school student. I mean, what the heck? This is the only real legit problem I had with the movie, actually.

Same. That surprised me as well.

All in all I had a nice time with this movie. It started out kinda slow, but it was nice to give us a look at how the lives of the main cast are going in a mundane scenario.

Still not too keen on the character designs, but I can understand that this isn't a kid mon-battling movie. It's made for the people who watched Adventure as kids and are now grown up, so it would understandably have a more mature character design thing going. Only thing is it makes a lot of the characters look very similar. They tend to have similar looking faces, making similar expressions.

I spent much of the film wondering if anyone was capable of going past the first evolution stage, but then suddenly Metalgreymon, so now I'm wondering if the others can too.

It's still super jarring hearing Gatomon/Tailmon having such a mature, womanly voice instead of the ridiculous one she has in the dub. Other than that I'm fine with the voices, although Palmon's Japanese voice is kinda grating.

As mentioned above, I liked how Tai/chi is noticing the destruction around him, and the show is really emphasizing it . The first season didn't make much of a big deal out of it even when battles took place in the real world.

The little scene where Tai/chi and Hi/Kari's mom talks to "Agu-chan" and "Tail-chan" was adorable. It's nice to see that she's totally okay with them. Speaking of which, I really liked the whole thing with the news reports painting Digimon in a negative light. It puts a lot more of a serious and mature theme to this whole Digimon thing. That and this shady organization is kinda reminding me of Tamers.

I can never see that one building (I think in Zero Two is was said to be a TV station?) with the big sphere without remembering how Wargreymon and Metalgarururmon drove it into the crotch of VenomMyotismon/Vamdemon. The beast within.

New girl is kinda meh. Very shy and whimpery, and probably going to be a damsel in distress at some point. But at least it's her partner Digimon they're after and not her.

It's very amusing to see who has changed and who hasn't.

All in all a nice start and I'll definitely look forward to the next chapter in this.
Nov 23, 2015 7:01 AM

Jan 2011
Jax said:

ssjup81 said:
but I had a super MAJOR problem with the fact that the kids themselves didn't mention them at all, especially Takeru and Hikari. Daisuke is in the same year as Takeru and Hikari. Iori and Miyako live in the same building as Takeru. Ken is their friend. Daisuke and Hikari's paths home are the same, just as Iori, Miyako, and Takeru's are the same. All of them would be in junior high school, minus Iori who'd still be an elementary school student. I mean, what the heck? This is the only real legit problem I had with the movie, actually.

Or maybe it's intended that way and we will see why in the next episodes ...I hope so, cause it made me wonder too :p If there is no reason behind it, then it will be a crappy plot hole :|
RaffNov 23, 2015 7:17 AM

Nov 23, 2015 7:04 AM
Sep 2015
I thought the movie was rather bland. Choppy animation aside, there was too much drama added without a balance being struck just to establish new issues between the characters that feel rather forced in for the sake of angst. I get that Tai is now more mature to consider consequences but when his friends are able to put their worries to rest and Tai retains his worries, it concerns me that this will be his main trait throughout the remaining movies.

At least, Alphamon vs Omegamon was cool. Aside from that and nostalgia teasing, 3/5.
Nov 23, 2015 7:08 AM
Nov 2015
DATS24 said:
qano92 said:

you noticed that they became baby level after that? I guess too much energy used, or forced

Eh, I never thought about it like that...I guess that would make sense
Nov 23, 2015 7:13 AM
Nov 2015
ssjup81 said:

Suspension of disbelief: Koushirou having his own office... lol I don't like it, but I don't dislike it either. Just surprised me.

Oh yeah, that part completely threw me off guard as well. Where the heck do you even get the money to rent that place and that equipment? I'm like "Why hasn't Koushiro gone to MIT yet?"
Nov 23, 2015 9:23 AM

Jun 2009
MrKai23 said:
I don't know how they screwed up so bad. Bad animation, bad writing and the fights were also bad. Omegamon and the Utlimate forms were a DEUS machine. Like they put no thought into this when they made it.

Digimon seasons aren't perfect but they were enjoyable. Tri just made me cringe.

finally, some sense.
Nov 23, 2015 11:14 AM

Dec 2009
I have low standards probably, I loved it. Definitely had the feeling of a mature Digimon series, or at least tried to with Taichi struggling with the rammifications of his actions.

They straight up destroyed the entire boardwalk they were on. You don't really think about the results of your actions because we could never cause destruction on such wide scale, but I understand why Taichi would suddenly freeze.
Nov 23, 2015 2:47 PM
Dec 2013
MisterPuma said:
Are Davis and the rest of 02 kids really dead? O_O

Great start! Loved every bit of it.
Not dead more like imprisioned.
Nov 23, 2015 3:05 PM

May 2009
Raff said:
Jax said:

ssjup81 said:

Or maybe it's intended that way and we will see why in the next episodes ...I hope so, cause it made me wonder too :p If there is no reason behind it, then it will be a crappy plot hole :|
I really really hope so. It'd make me want to slap all the Adventure kids if not.
qano92 said:
ssjup81 said:

Oh yeah, that part completely threw me off guard as well. Where the heck do you even get the money to rent that place and that equipment? I'm like "Why hasn't Koushiro gone to MIT yet?"
I used to always joke that Koushirou did illegal things online...like hacking government files and stuff. Maybe my delusional head canon isn't so far off. lol

When watching in the theater, I was confused there. I thought it was his father's office. So yeah, this kid actually has money somehow, unless his parents are funding it. That may also explain the plane fare thing too. He seemed nonplussed about it when checking prices.
Nov 23, 2015 4:43 PM

Sep 2014
I've watched the 4 parts of this movie (I guess) and, even It's nostalgic, It's well done, I like the charac-design and stuffs, the thing I don't really understand is why It has so few interactions between the heroes with their Digimons?

The heroes are now teenagers and It's good to know what happens to them but It's like the entire "movie" is about them and not for the Digimons. It's kinda odd.
Plus, nobody asks them what happen to the Digital World? Why the Digimons are come back?

Did I miss something?
BalongNov 23, 2015 5:00 PM
Nov 23, 2015 4:55 PM
Mar 2013
Okay so I'm seriously dissapointed.
All I wanted was a bit nostalgia and more story around digimon.
What I got was a clusterfuck:

- 02 Kids got defeated and nobody even mentions them ? Like they were friends AND fought together as Digiknights. So if I was Takeru contacting Daisuke would have been the very first thing after fighting at the airport.

- They seriously fought in Champion level all the time when they would beat the crap out of the Kuwagamon in Ultra Level at the airport? And even without data on Alphamon they should just go Ultra just to be safe judging from it's apperance.
-> AND FINALLY AT LEAST AGUMON AND GABUMON EVOLVE AND THEY JUST SKIP SUPER FAST THROUGH ULTRA AND MEGA AND DIDNT EVEN ANIMATE IT LIKE WHAT THE ACTUAL F*** ???

- No Attackmoves yelled and fighting sound was totally off. Way too many explotions and no voices at all.

- Taichi going from hero to zero in 90 Minutes was also cringeworthy to watch. Especially now when he's older he should know that actually fighting the evil Digimon controled and with teamwork should result in the least destruction and casualties, yet he pussys around and lets Alphamon destroy the whole building and nearly kill the new Girl.

The whole "charater development" felt so forced. I really hope they improve some things for the next ...
mrmrxxxNov 23, 2015 4:59 PM
Nov 23, 2015 6:26 PM
Oct 2014
ahhh the nostalgia, it feels good

I liked the animation, the fact that Tai now thinks about the concequences (okay, maybe he thinks to much) and that the "kids" dont yell stuf like 'YOU CAN DO IT!" or " I BELIEVE IN YOU" all the time
This things really makes it seems like they have grown up but still show us what we want

That last battle wasnt as much as i expected. Sure Alphamon was a badass but it seems like the fight didnt have neither sound or music

And its just me that found Tailmon (Gatomon?) voice strange? her voice it's so low-pitched
zefrosNov 23, 2015 6:29 PM
Nov 23, 2015 11:19 PM
Nov 2015
zefros said:

And its just me that found Tailmon (Gatomon?) voice strange? her voice it's so low-pitched

I'm sure all the original voice actors for the digimons are reprising their roles for the movie. I didn't think Tailmon's voice was different. Perhaps you're more used to the dubbed version?
Nov 23, 2015 11:44 PM
Nov 2014
Was really hyped about the released of the movie (i think it is called movie, thou it is separated into a few parts, dont mind that much).
Honestly, I am really expecting a lot from this, as no doubt, this anime was the all time favourite of mine, childhood or not, ALL TIME. (thou i kinda stopped after digimon tamers, still adventure & 02 still the BEST)

Let me flashback a little after watching the first 4 episodes (1 episode, whatever ~)
people talked about character design, well, i actually dont mind much as things might be changing after a few years (right ??) even when u graduated from high schools, gone to colleges, when u met ur high school friends u will be feeling the same after so long of 'lost contact' (my experience of course). so, the design just went on OKAY ~ after a few minutes.
music ~ ohhh music, the OP brings a lot of memories >.< and i am kinda glad they dint use back the first version of it. thou the new 1 lacks power (due to singer's vocal problem, shout out to Mr. Wada Kouji recovery from the sickness, glad he's ok). but it do give the feels of nostalgic ~
evolution sequence is the one that gv me the best feel (chill down the spine !!). new one, not bad, but just ok ~ whenever the intro played, OH LORD !! POWER !! which is the MAIN reason why the evolution gv me the chills, music ~ animation wise, still prefer the original. (nice touch for Birdramon, flames looks good, ANGEMON, dayyum ! he kicked ass on the first series (first part), now the with the new design, he look's BA ~
additional of attack moves will be a great plus point if they added in, which unfortunately, they dint. =.= "
fighting wise, it was ok. but totally disappointed by the last fight, alphamon vs omegamon (dude, it was the fight of the episode), alphamon with his Oryuken, wings out ~ omegamon with its transient sword out, hood flying... dude ! i was expecting for a great battle or perhaps a great undecided fight, with superb cliffhanger.. all i got is a cliffhanger with a totally disappointed grown-ups who expect for a epic digimon battle that will be ranked as one of THE BEST ever..
but Meh ~ big let down.

overall, due to my likes towards the series, i couldnt say i dislike the movie, but i am almost at the negative side of "okayyyyyyy".
Nov 24, 2015 12:40 AM

Nov 2011
That wasn't bad at all.

I didn't expect Alphamon to be big bad but damn. I was laughing when they fight him with their champion level digimon, the guy is mega level for god sake.

The Omegamon vs Alphamon bit was pretty nice. I guess every Royal Knight members have make appearance in the anime form now.

It pretty confusing though, whatever happened to 02 kids? Did this happen before that? Takeru and Hikaru's Digivice already changed form.
Kaiser-chanNov 24, 2015 12:48 AM

Nov 24, 2015 2:22 AM

May 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if they shoehorn in Gallantmon and other knights who made appearances in other series'. From the spoiler, I suspect we can expect a Imperialdramon vs Omegamon fight coming soon.
Nov 24, 2015 2:34 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Great for nostalgia, but apart from that, it was mediocre.

Tai's dilemma with the city getting destroyed was annoying since the flashback of debris and lack of human presence kept appearing in his mind. Yea, we get the point that the person with the cell phone and the bag could have died.
When Tai was getting attacked in the city, it looked like the digimon was intentionally crashing into buildings rather than attacking him.

Did anyone also notice the number of times smoke covered the screen?

And how does an anime have horrible music placement? The music was off; I think it happened somewhere around part 2.

The part when Koushirou was rambling off under the bridge while everyone was arguing and clearly talking over him was just bizarre. Was he that engrossed with his data? There were also times that his mouth was shut while he was talking.

Nice job Toei.
Nov 24, 2015 3:36 AM
Jun 2010
I liked it. I don't know what kind of unrealistic expectatives you people had to be so disappointed and upset.

I must say I get the impression a lot of these complaints are just to jump on the TOEI IS SHIIIIT bandwagon that has been going on since DBS brought more attention to the studio (as it was bad in the technical deopartment for years by now yet no one ever commented on it), even though Toei had little to no involvement animating this movie.

Now, obviously it is mediocre in the animation department, but I think people are overreacting too much. You watch much worsely animated shit every season and know it. And in the context of the franchise, it's good, better than anything that has been done before in the technical department (with the exception of the 2 Mamoru Hosoda directed movies). I also liked the battles, they wre a lot more dynamic than digimon battles usually are. Yeah some jerky motions here and there but passable in a general context, and good in the context of the franchise. I must say I also like how the digimon are designed, even though some Child levels look weird, the big digimon, Adult level and up look really cool. I like the character design also, so no complaints here.

About Taichi's character and whatnot is more a personal opinion than anything, but I do like his change. As he puts it, now that he's older he sees more and understand less of the world, he's aimless and don't really know what to do with his life. I think the scenes where he discuss it with Yamato and Agumon were well handled. The major issue is how heavy handed those flashbacks are, that's what ruins it, specially during the Alphamon fight. I get what they intended to do with it, but it was lame. Still sets the character on a path with good potential for development next movies,

One thing I liked is the attention to detail. Besides Takeru and Hikari's D3, there are a lot of nods for fans to get. A few locations were the same fights took place in some past movie or series. Besides the Fuji TV Building they fought Vamdemon in, there is the spot Armagemon was defeated, Not to mention that cliff in the Digital World looks a lot like the same one from the first Adventure episode. When the digimon go into Koushirou's cyber room, they get the same lighting and colors they had when going in the internet in past movies. You can call it nostalgia pandering, because it is, but it also shows that the staff knows the previous works to some degree of detail.

As for story... Well there's nothing much to say, it's movie 1 of 6. It was more meant to establish characters and plot threads than to develop the story. And it does it pretty well. Everyone is reintroduced, you see how everyone is doing and how they changed. It also stes a personal struggle for the protagonist and develop it decently, as I said I don't think the unnecessary flashbacks detract from it that much (as a side note, I was expecting WORSE direction. I don't like the director of this project).
The chacters all are recgoznizable and feel the same, even though little by little differences from how they were last time we've seen them start showing. The exception is Taichi, but Taichi changing is something the narrative stresses a lot so it can't be called a fail at capturing who the character is, it's a deliberate change. But everyone else is just the way I expected them to be.
There's enough questions presented to be developed in latter movies: who is Alphamon and what does he want with Meicoomon, what is those agents deal, what the fuck Gennai is thinking, what exactly is this Infection, why the Digital Gate is closed and what happened to the 02 kids.

Oh yeah, the 02 kids. The thing that annoyed me the most this episode is how the Chosen Children don't mention them. I must say I was expecting this to happen (as the first movie of a Original 8 focused series is supposed to focus on the Original 8), but it was still jarring seeing Taichi, Hikari or Takeru not mention them. They better address to this issue in the second movie (and they will, if the Imperialdramon on poster is any indication).

The weakest point is by far the soundtrack. Adventure had a stellar OST, and most background music in Tri is forgettable, the few that stand out are either light remixes or straight out lifts from the original. I hope they step up their game in the next movies because as it is, it's going to be the worst OST from the franchise (before anyone mentions Xros Wars, the sheer variety and quality of the Insert Songs kind of balances out it's weak bgm).

Now, as a fan of the franchise as a whole (and I should say I'm not the biggest fan of Adventure, even though I do recognize it's qualities), I'm satisfied with this episode. I wasn't all that hyped for it, as I would have liked a new original season than an Adventure sequel, but it didn't really disappoint me neither as "Adventure 3" nor as a new Digimon series. Honestly, a lot of complaints I see is from people who've only watched Adventure in their childhoold, never followed the franchise or even rewatched Adventure to see it's flaws, and had retardely high expectations for some reason.

Now even if I were to judge the movie outside the context of the franchise, it would be a 5 or 6 out of 10. It's decent, does what it's supposed to do yet has many flaws. But as part of Digimon and a Sequel do Adventure, I give a 8/10 for this first movie.
Caio_EstevesNov 24, 2015 3:50 AM
Nov 24, 2015 4:54 AM

Jul 2013
zefros said:

IIRC, Gatomon's voice in the original Japanese dub was low pitched to represent her maturity as a Champion level Digimon. English dub gave her a cute voice instead.
Nov 24, 2015 4:56 AM

Jan 2011
I was smiling so damn much when Agumon showed up. Argh why does Toei have to be such whores though, turning what's obviously intended as a TV series into a set of movies?

Izzy gives no fucks about Tai and Matt fighting, but Joe having a girlfriend is of grave importance.
Nov 24, 2015 5:07 AM
Apr 2013
KaiserNazrin said:
That wasn't bad at all.

I didn't expect Alphamon to be big bad but damn. I was laughing when they fight him with their champion level digimon, the guy is mega level for god sake.

The Omegamon vs Alphamon bit was pretty nice. I guess every Royal Knight members have make appearance in the anime form now.

It pretty confusing though, whatever happened to 02 kids? Did this happen before that? Takeru and Hikaru's Digivice already changed form.

why many ppl thought Alphamon was a big bad? Did you not realize that Alpha stopped the kuwagamon rampage and it never intended to destroy the city and killing the chosen children, its focus is Meikuumon after all.
Nov 24, 2015 5:49 AM

Mar 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
Argh why does Toei have to be such whores though, turning what's obviously intended as a TV series into a set of movies?
Have you seen the animation of Battle of Gods & Resurrection F compared to Dragon Ball Super? You should on your hands & knees thanking Toei for not making it a TV series!
Nov 24, 2015 6:07 AM

Nov 2011
DATS24 said:
KaiserNazrin said:
That wasn't bad at all.

why many ppl thought Alphamon was a big bad? Did you not realize that Alpha stopped the kuwagamon rampage and it never intended to destroy the city and killing the chosen children, its focus is Meikuumon after all.

I won't say he stopped the rampage considering the digidestined beat them all but one. Beside shooting fucking laser at fucking kid is clearly not very nice. It doesn't justfiy anything it did.

Nov 24, 2015 6:09 AM
Mar 2008
ziggy_Z said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Argh why does Toei have to be such whores though, turning what's obviously intended as a TV series into a set of movies?
Have you seen the animation of Battle of Gods & Resurrection F compared to Dragon Ball Super? You should on your hands & knees thanking Toei for not making it a TV series!

.............or even an ONA Series.......
Nov 24, 2015 6:22 AM
Jun 2010
MahadoKusanagi said:
ziggy_Z said:

Yeah, I'm glad it's a movie series to not have to deal with Saint Seiya Soul of Gold level fuckery.
SoG clearly has a lot of love for Saint Seiya on it, and has a good story for the series (low) standards, but the animation and consistency are horrendous.

Tri would probably have gone down the same route if it was a tv or ONA series.

---

About Alphamon, I also think he's obviously not a bad guy, but for all intents and purposes he is the main enemy of this movie.
Caio_EstevesNov 24, 2015 6:29 AM
Nov 24, 2015 6:38 AM
Dec 2009
I loved it! I was looking for a heartwarming trip down memory lane and this hit the spot. The "new" character designs didn't bother me. They all still look like themselves. The guys have all grown handsome and the girls have all turned into ladies... I love this group of characters!!

There were so many little great moments... I love how they've all changed and grown up... yet are still the same in many ways (Taichi and Yamato fighting, haha). I feel like I grew up with the Digidestined and it was nice to see them again. I look forward to future installments!!

qano92 said:
ssjup81 said:

I guess he's supposed to be part of some hot startup, haha. Yeah his family seems well off to begin with but this was a bit over the top.
Nov 24, 2015 6:40 AM
Mar 2008
Caio_Esteves said:
MahadoKusanagi said:

Yeah, I'm glad it's a movie series to not have to deal with Saint Seiya Soul of Gold level fuckery.
SoG clearly has a lot of love for Saint Seiya on it, and has a good story for the series (low) standards, but the animation and consistency are horrendous.

Tri would probably have gone down the same route if it was a tv or ONA series.

---

About Alphamon, I also think he's obviously not a bad guy, but for all intents and purposes he is the main enemy of this movie.

Then good thing that i know the original Seiya but didnt watch Seiya Gold. I probably would go full rage mode as i did with SM Crystal and DB Super.
But if everything else in Seiya Gold is good and only the animation can be horrendous.............maybe it deserves a little pass............just a little because the rest is ok.................unlike crap like Crystal and Super that are crap altogether, no?

About Alphamon...............who says he is the bad guy? He is more likely to be on a mission or something. And as a mission, he is one that stops at nothing for it (almost nothing). He attacked, but was definitely not to destroy the city as if he has nothing else to do.
Nov 24, 2015 6:50 AM
Jun 2010
MahadoKusanagi said:

Then good thing that i know the original Seiya but didnt watch Seiya Gold. I probably would go full rage mode as i did with SM Crystal and DB Super.
But if everything else in Seiya Gold is good and only the animation can be horrendous.............maybe it deserves a little pass............just a little because the rest is ok.................unlike crap like Crystal and Super that are crap altogether, no?

About Alphamon...............who says he is the bad guy? He is more likely to be on a mission or something. And as a mission, he is one that stops at nothing for it (almost nothing). He attacked, but was definitely not to destroy the city as if he has nothing else to do.

Not to mention it never attacked the chosen children digimon, just defended itself and attacked to fend them off, not destroy them. He clearly has nothing against them.

About Soul of Gold, it has some problems besides the animation, but it's the kind of issue any SS series has, so I'm not bothered by it. Like I said, it's good in the context of what you would expect of Saint Seiya.

And I don't really care about animation. It's nice to see something well done, sure, but I don't get as angry as I see people getting. Maybe all these years following Precure and Digimon made me numb to usual Toei animation. I usually make a game out of spoting all the offmodel characters and find it rather amusing, instead of getting pissed.
Nov 24, 2015 6:50 AM
Apr 2013
KaiserNazrin said:
DATS24 said:

I won't say he stopped the rampage considering the digidestined beat them all but one. Beside shooting fucking laser at fucking kid is clearly not very nice. It doesn't justfiy anything it did.

It's targetting Meikuumon for sure. Meiko is at fault coz she endangered herself. Alphamon was never really black or white tbh.
Nov 24, 2015 6:52 AM
Apr 2013
Caio_Esteves said:
MahadoKusanagi said:

Not to mention it never attacked the chosen children digimon, just defended itself and attacked to fend them off, not destroy them. He clearly has nothing against them.

About Soul of Gold, it has some problems besides the animation, but it's the kind of issue any SS series has, so I'm not bothered by it. Like I said, it's good in the context of what you would expect of Saint Seiya.

And I don't really care about animation. It's nice to see something well done, sure, but I don't get as angry as I see people getting. Maybe all these years following Precure and Digimon made me numb to usual Toei animation. I usually make a game out of spoting all the offmodel characters and find it rather amusing, instead of getting pissed.

I guess nowadays Digimon rather focus on their games, bcos their recent games are mostly awesome and Cyber Sleuth was very nice. They also do a high effort for Next 0rder
Nov 24, 2015 6:59 AM
Jun 2010
Well not really. Digimon was basically dead in the videogames from 2007 to 2011.
Then Bandai decided to get their shit togheter for the 15th anniversary and put some effort in Re:Digitize, wich made the franchise get in this string of entartaining games for a while.

But usually people enjoy the anime and manga way more than any of the games. Honestly, with the exception of these few recent games, I wouldn't have bothered playing any of the previous digimon games was I not already a fan. Most games are passable at best and terrible at worst, when it comes to gameplay and story.
Nov 24, 2015 7:02 AM
Jan 2011
Okashi said:
Tai, I thought you were cool, man... I thought you were cool.

He's grown up. A lot of it has to do with realizing that you're in command of a living WMD...

stand said:
BliuBliu said:
*Sigh* Why do Digimon Adventure fans only care about shipping people?

Don't you know that the second best option to resort to when you can't find love in real life is to ship fictional people?

Hikari x Takeru <333 Kyaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Heh - I ship that too.
KanameFujiwaraNov 24, 2015 7:23 AM
Nov 24, 2015 7:16 AM
Jan 2011
SweetKotomi said:
I return feels trip to the nostalgic show most of us grew up watching. Nice to see Kuwagomon back. Like Greymon said, he was sure stronger, a lot stronger than when he faced him back in the Digi World. Kuwagomon took them fire ball blasts like they were nothing. I wonder why Taichi didn't tell Agumon to Digivolve to MetalGreymon at least, it appeared like Kuwagomon was slightly stronger than Greymon.

One thing I noticed was Kari didn't have her new Digivice and Gatomon didn't evolve to Neferimon. She just stayed in her base form.

Davis and friends got taken out too easily. Aren't Vemon+Wormon able to reach the level of like Omnimon when they combine their power?

Also, Alphamon is said to be one of the Royal Knights, no wonder it was so strong.

Imperialdramon Paladin Mode is the strongest digimon but they need Omegamon for that to work. Even fighter mode is not a threat against Alphamon.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you like the character design in Tri? ( 1 2 3 )

cro3 - Feb 20, 2015

106 by JVskunkape »»
Aug 28, 2023 12:48 AM

» Why does everyone hate the 02 characters?

12ylie - May 12, 2015

22 by JVskunkape »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:42 PM

» Can I watch this without watching any of the previous Digimons ?

reyqq - Sep 15, 2021

9 by Ducksama14 »»
Apr 2, 2022 9:30 PM

» Plot holes in 02?

cro3 - Mar 16, 2015

29 by Ducksama14 »»
Apr 2, 2022 9:25 PM

Poll: » sora ( 1 2 )

ninjastarforcex - Dec 15, 2014

81 by StormxNightmare »»
Dec 3, 2020 8:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.