Forum Settings
Forums

Recommendation Stats: Incorrect / Intentionally Boosted?

New
Nov 19, 2015 2:52 PM

Jun 2007
Whilst I doubt many users even know this page exists, there is a 'recommendation ranking' based on how many users have posted: http://myanimelist.net/recommendations.php?s=userrecs

Stark700 apparently has 1153 anime recs and 875 manga recs. Actual stats? 400 total.
hackrabbits has 738 anime recs. Actual amount? 200.

ALL the users with silly-high numbers like that follow the same pattern. I'm assuming they posted-deleted recs repeatedly and the numbers on stat page didn't decrease. Either way, the numbers are incorrect and the page serves no purpose when so inaccurate.

Also, this is unrelated but there are users that spam recommendations without thought/effort to get higher up the rankings, such as this user who deletes comments complaining about it made by others on his profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/DeadlyTexhnolyze <-- he's made most recs for Texhynolze x100, without any effort whatsoever. (Edit: seems at least 60+ already deleted, but ranking stats still show 260+...)
AironicallyHumanNov 19, 2015 2:57 PM
Nov 19, 2015 3:54 PM

Jan 2012
So what's the important thing about recommendation stats ? does it affect score or something.

Nov 19, 2015 5:21 PM

Jun 2013
They are boosting the amount of recommendations they have by repeatedly making and deleting them. It's just ruining the ratio, I don't know the importance but that's obvious enough to understand and should be stopped.
Nov 20, 2015 7:17 AM

Jun 2007
Yup, what Androphonos said. I would just like to view the page and see which users have legitimately contributed the most, rather than be distracted by the fact people seem to have deleted-reposted to such an extent they have 1600+ more recommendations than they actually do. That's both silly and sad.

Also, users that spam recommendations in order to get to the top are not punished by the stats, going on DeadlyTexhnolyze having so many recs deleted yet his numbers not decreasing.
Nov 20, 2015 3:05 PM

Jun 2010
AironicallyHuman said:
Whilst I doubt many users even know this page exists

I knew it not.
And I also bet half (if not all) of the new devs don't know about it either.

There's probably an easy way to do a hard reset on the counters to make it work again. The same was done with anime stats, profile comments, forum posts, friend requests, etc in the past.
As for the dumb guidelines, I guess that's what we can expect from an environment with only 3 mods for BOTH review and recs entries and not-enforced, lenient guidelines.

But hey, if you value your recommendations, I wouldn't bring the topic up too much, otherwise they might decide to "improve it" just like reviews are being "improved".
Nov 20, 2015 3:21 PM

Jun 2007
xbobx said:
As for the dumb guidelines, I guess that's what we can expect from an environment with only 3 mods for BOTH review and recs entries and not-enforced, lenient guidelines.

But hey, if you value your recommendations, I wouldn't bring the topic up too much, otherwise they might decide to "improve it" just like reviews are being "improved".

...Seriously, only three for both?

I actually edited my OP in order to not ask for stricter guidelines to be enforced, given MAL's recent history of fixing things. :'D Just the stat page stats would suffice. Maybe.

It is annoying, though: the lack of standards when posting/spamming recs: http://s29.postimg.org/6kl3egyo7/Clipboard02t.jpg

^ This guy turned two recs into five and simply C&P'd his text. Not sure if that's worse than the 1-10 word recs that are stuck above other actual recs on older anime pages.
Nov 20, 2015 5:10 PM

Jun 2010
Yeah... I'm afraid all we can do is keep reporting, and keep reporting, and keep reporting, ad infinitum.
Truth is that this is a necro'ing feature. I mean, aside from the shitty "me likes SAO, me be Jar Jar, me like LOGH cuz SAO looks like LOGH and StarTreck" who else writes decent recommendations?
(you're not allowed to count yourself)
Just like reviews, its architecture is the same of 2007 and guidelines were last modified years ago.
The new administration seems to prioritize quantity over quality; so we're likely to get more Facebook-ish features than a revamp on this one.
Still, if you were to suggest some new system/rules/etc you can count with my support.

AironicallyHuman said:
It is annoying, though: the lack of standards when posting/spamming recs: http://s29.postimg.org/6kl3egyo7/Clipboard02t.jpg

KEK.
A shame this club never got to much traffic. These are hilarious.

Back on topic though, someone should definitely check if it's possible to reset those numbers
(and also call out those bad kids on their mischief of number boosting but I doubt that will happen).
Nov 21, 2015 4:30 AM

Jan 2013
It's the other way the "Total Recommendations: ...." counter is the bugged part, while the stats page is accurate. Either the franchises to, or from disappear. I honestly forgot how exactly the bug works, but the stats pages should be accurate.

Regarding people spamming a lot of recs at one time, it's often a set of "didn't know it's public", "didn't know the guidelines", "repetition of recs for the same franchise", etc.. Most often they are genre related, or information available on the entry's page and should be removed. Less often it's actual intentional spamming. Please just report the recs.
Nov 21, 2015 6:23 PM

Jun 2007
I do agree it's an outdated system that is abused, with these no effort examples being the norm (http://myanimelist.net/anime/67/Basilisk:_Kouga_Ninpou_Chou: note the detailed recs) but, with a few tweaks I'm afraid to ask for, it could be a valuable part of the site rather than my hobby.

I wish that club was still active, for this guy is a master of repetition immune to reporting, it seems, since his Berserk x3 SAME THING ones still exist: http://s4.postimg.org/ce1p9lna5/Clipboard02545.jpg

_Ghost_ said:
It's the other way the "Total Recommendations: ...." counter is the bugged part, while the stats page is accurate. Either the franchises to, or from disappear. I honestly forgot how exactly the bug works, but the stats pages should be accurate

Not entirely sure what you're saying, but if it's that Stark700's 2028 stat is accurate and the 400 total is inaccurate, I suggest you either count his recs or just scan your eyes over for a rough estimate. There are roughly a few 100 combined between anime/manga, which matches the 400 tally. Nowhere near even 1000.

On a related note, according to the stat page, 'DeadlyTexnolyze' has 330+ recs. Count how many he has: http://myanimelist.net/profile/DeadlyTexhnolyze/recommendations <-- It seems both stats are inaccurate.

I have posted recommendations for the same series/franchises a number of times. My total count on the stat page and total are in-sync. *shrug*
Nov 24, 2015 6:18 PM

Jan 2013
I guess my post wasn't clear. Recommendations on /profile/.../recommendations disappear. On Stark's page you see 400 out of the 2,028. That is what I meant. The numbers here, and to the left of the profile are the accurate number of recommendations.

If you see a difference between the stats page and the left of the profile, that's due to the stats page updating faster than the profile.

More topics from this board

» On my profile I got the wrong number of total episodes/total time

GamiKhan - 10 hours ago

2 by GamiKhan »»
8 hours ago

Sticky: » Advertisement Complaint Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 22, 2016

464 by traed »»
Today, 2:06 AM

» How do you log out of My anime list on desktop?

Sunryft - Jul 28, 2023

7 by El_Kyube »»
Yesterday, 11:03 PM

» IP ban glitch?

AverageRiceFan - Yesterday

1 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 5:09 PM

» How to change from desktop site back to mobile?

Omaha71 - Sep 9, 2020

9 by Otaku_Khan »»
Yesterday, 6:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.