Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 28, 2016 3:39 PM

Nov 2008
Yeah, Souma is the "rival". Once in a blue moon, the rival is a better choice than the canon character.

This was one of those times.

But people hate him BECAUSE HE'S A MAN IN A YURI. "BOOO MEN".

Yaoi fangirls aren't any better though.

Jan 28, 2016 3:52 PM

Nov 2015
TitanAnteus said:
Ryothatic said:
Ah opinions. I just couldn't get behind the main pairing. She literally finds out what a shitty guy he was and was like "No, stop acting like this. This wasn't how I idealized you to be". He gets a bit better and their bit at the end is cute, but everything else is just so forced and I just don't care. At the point where I was supposed to sympathize with him after she forgets him and goes off with the other guy, I just laughed.

You're not even that wrong about Chikane/Himeko to be honest. Their whole romance arc in the original manga/anime was really, REALLY shitty.
Interferring male character: Check.
Fuckin' RAPE: Check.
No negative repercussions for said rape: Check.
I just give it a pass because they're iconic. But they're not even bad in Kyoshiro so its fine. The only time I felt anything was when those two were on screen.

Interferring male character: ?

Do non-yuri romances have a distinction for those kind of characters? Aren't they just called rivals or are just a non-element.

In every hetero anime with a yuri girl trying to get the girl, the protagonist is never affected by that character, and the fans either find her interesting or don't even bother with her.

What's with yuri fans. My first taste of this hate was with Cross Ange but i never knew it was just a thing for you guys or girls whatever.
It's just a yuri trope, dude. The distinction is Cross Ange isn't a yuri anime, so Tusk isn't what you would call an "interfering male character. I'm a fan of yuri but that doesn't neccesarily mean that I'm adverse to having male characters in one. That's just the trope that people use to refer to male characters that are present as love rivals in yuri anime/manga. Its more of a jokey term for them, but it does bother people. I guess it the reason why it bothers people because its often there just to perpetuate the notion that girls can't really gay, they're either bisexual or only show interest in woman until guys come along.

And I agree with Chiibi around how Soma was a better choice for Himeko, in terms of the plot anyway. We were given no indication that Himeko ever saw Chikane as more than just a friend until the end. As I said earlier, I enjoy yuri and its by far my most loved genre, but criticism is given where criticism is due. Kannazuki no Miko is a shitty yuri love story.
RyothaticJan 28, 2016 3:57 PM
Jan 28, 2016 3:56 PM

Nov 2008
Ryothatic said:

And I agree with Chiibi around how Soma was a better choice for Himeko, in terms of the plot anyway. We were given no indication that Himeko ever saw Chikane as more than just a friend until the end.

*eyes shine*

My....my dear nakama.....I shall grasp your hand for the sake of NAKAMA POWER. xD

Speaking of kiss scenes (on topic) XD

F*CK YEAH. SOMEONE ELSE CARES TOO.
ChiibiJan 28, 2016 4:05 PM

Jan 28, 2016 4:11 PM

Jan 2013
Ryothatic said:

And I agree with Chiibi around how Soma was a better choice for Himeko, in terms of the plot anyway. We were given no indication that Himeko ever saw Chikane as more than just a friend until the end.

I have just gotten a lot of respect for you since you're at least aware of your own biases.

Glad to know that even if we don't agree we can still hold a conversation.
Jan 28, 2016 4:48 PM
Oct 2015
Chiibi said:
Yeah, Souma is the "rival". Once in a blue moon, the rival is a better choice than the canon character.

This was one of those times.

But people hate him BECAUSE HE'S A MAN IN A YURI. "BOOO MEN".

Yaoi fangirls aren't any better though.

Honestly, he was the only entertaining character in that shitty show. And that was just because he yelled all the time and it was kind of funny
Jan 28, 2016 5:12 PM

Aug 2015
As an anime fan who hasn't completed a mainly romance series yet, I do seem to like the kissing scenes when done right.
I am currently watching Your Lie In April, so we'll see what I think of romance animes after that. Also, it somewhat bothers me when implied kisses happen.

Jan 29, 2016 5:52 AM

Nov 2009
CherryLover said:
flannan said:

I've seen plenty initiated by the female. Including in harems.

Notice how I said "usually one-sided." Of course, not every example of anime kissing is one-sided, but you cannot deny the fact that more often than not, kissing is initiated by the male in anime.

I've never tried counting this, but it seems to me that there's no lack of balance there. Plenty of girls kissing male lead out of the blue to claim ownership, for example.

p1k4ch3w said:
In romance anime, kissing and sex should be considered a pretty normal development in a relationship. Yet the people who make these stories appear to be shy maidens who've never been in a relationship, and this is reflected in their characters.

You might be right. Except not all of the authors are female.
Jan 29, 2016 7:58 AM

Mar 2011
flannan said:
p1k4ch3w said:
In romance anime, kissing and sex should be considered a pretty normal development in a relationship. Yet the people who make these stories appear to be shy maidens who've never been in a relationship, and this is reflected in their characters.

You might be right. Except not all of the authors are female.

Even if they're not female, I'd still call them maidens.

To be honest, I don't know what the male equivalent of maiden is..
Jan 29, 2016 8:20 AM

Jun 2008
Orevataf said:
JustALEX said:
It can be good, but Japan needs to stop thinking that a kiss is such a big fucking deal...

Well in Japan, culturally it really quite is a big deal.

I'm Latin...so, kissing (on the cheek) is literally a greeting....
Jan 29, 2016 8:44 AM

Sep 2012
Meh, I dislike overly romanticized idea of a kiss that Japan projects in manga/anime. I mean, in some shows, people date for like half a year before even holding hands, and no matter how great that "last scene" is, I usually just go meh. I rarely watch anime solely for kissing scenes, mostly for interactions between the main couple or something. It's cool when they're there, but they usually aren't really that important to me.

Still, Sakura Trick n.o.1! One of the few anime that portrayed a realistic relationship between teenagers (well, at least in kissing department) even though it's between girls. gr8 m8 8/8 would watch again.
Jan 29, 2016 2:17 PM

May 2014
Problem is that the animation is usually never good enough to make it look like anything more than two polygons sharing a side for a couple seconds.

If you have highly detailed animation then a kiss can look fine. But outside of movies that rarely happens.

Not to mention most romance anime are trash so I'm not invested in the moment at all - assuming I watch it long enough to get to the kiss in the first place.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jan 29, 2016 2:18 PM

Jul 2015
I like the kissing scenes but there weren't really a lot of them in the anime series I've seen, yet we could use a little more romance in anime.
Jan 29, 2016 5:59 PM

Apr 2013
I prefer seeing kissing onscreen in anime than live-action nine-out-of-ten times. Animated kisses aren't easy to do, so when they're done right, I find it impressive (regardless if it's supposed to be tender, sexy, or not). A few comments here say Toradora!'s kiss was awkward, but I have it as one of my top favorite kisses for its execution.
Jan 30, 2016 6:07 AM

Nov 2013
i like yuri kissing, hue hue hue
but, not for romance scene -_-
Jan 30, 2016 7:29 AM

Nov 2014
TheFilthyCasual said:
Problem is that the animation is usually never good enough to make it look like anything more than two polygons sharing a side for a couple seconds.

If you have highly detailed animation then a kiss can look fine. But outside of movies that rarely happens.

That's unfortunately true. With good animation, even a kiss between two lions can be amazing. For example, take the Simba and Nala kiss at 2:04 in the video below. The animation is really smooth and detailed. Romance is subtle; you can't do subtlety without inbetweening. And it's kind of funny to think that if Lion King had been an anime, Simba probably would have ran off at Nala's ready-for-sex face, haha. Or he wouldn't have ever gotten that close to her to begin with.

Jan 30, 2016 10:11 AM

Jul 2015
aikaflip said:
And it's kind of funny to think that if Lion King had been an anime......

From what I know it's a ripoff of Kimba the white lion .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 30, 2016 1:35 PM

Nov 2014
SodiumChloride said:
aikaflip said:

From what I know it's a ripoff of Kimba the white lion .

Probably. Lion King is still incredible though.
Jan 30, 2016 2:03 PM

Aug 2009
They're pretty sensual and I like them because they give me a reason to start feeling the relationship between two characters. I don't like implied ones, but they're better than none at all.
Feb 3, 2016 11:10 PM

Feb 2015
aikaflip said:

there were still do me eyes in the movie though. pretty hard to avoid.

*MAJOR LOVELY COMPLEX SPOILERS*
Feb 3, 2016 11:41 PM

May 2014
I definitely prefer the romantic sort over.. Well, the gifs on the first page, lol.

I don't think I really care if a kiss happens in a series though, idk. I don't think I'd be disappointed if it didn't, since relationship-wise I rather confessions/verbal confirmation of some kind anyway. There's no rule that says you can't have both of those, and they do tend to go hand in hand, but ehhh, I don't cross my fingers for it.

Like, in Working, for example.

Also my fav kiss is from Shingeki no Bahamut, nothing's come close to that so far. Please check it out if you like the feelsy sort of kisses, OP. c:
Feb 3, 2016 11:51 PM

Nov 2015
I dont mind a kiss scene but a short and abrupt one.

I dont like those anime that are centered on ecchi harem stuff which shows kissing throughout the entire anime. Love stories get too sick, it has too much emotions.

Maybe a small nice sweet one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 4, 2016 12:18 PM

Nov 2008
TheFilthyCasual said:

I don't agree at all. Anime/manga kisses certainly look a helluva lot prettier than two real people kissing, even in live action movies.

And I wanted SO MUCH to enjoy that RapunzelxFlynn kiss but couldn't because that hideous haircut ruined everything. It looks like he ended up with a different girl. ;_;

Thanks a lot, Disney. Brilliant move.

Not to mention most romance anime are trash

Now that is definitely not true.
ChiibiFeb 4, 2016 12:42 PM

Jan 13, 2017 11:57 AM

Sep 2013
Kissing scenes are lewd. I think the only correct way to show romantic feelings between teens is by making them awkwardly hold hands in the last episode, otherwise there could be a baby boom in Japan, which they don't want for obvious reasons. Remember, if holding hands is the first step to pregnancy, what would kisses be? A step too close to it.
Jan 13, 2017 11:59 AM

Aug 2016
I don't like kissing scenes at all unless I really ship the characters, which is not the case 90% of the time. It makes me feel awkward to watch two cartoon characters make out while I'm watching x) I don't mind people kissing in real-life movies but in anime I just can't stand it. I don't mind pecks tho, that's kinda cute.
Jan 13, 2017 12:03 PM

Jul 2013

There's a proper section to ask for this stuff but to answer your question, I think that came from Kuzu no Honkai which is currently airing right now.
Jan 13, 2017 3:55 PM

Mar 2011
kissing both irl and fictional is gross. Get that shit away from me.
Jan 13, 2017 4:00 PM

Sep 2016
gross, badly animated, most shojo romance anime is shit anyway
the best ones like nodame and la corda don't really have kissing scene
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 13, 2017 4:11 PM

Sep 2011
If it's done well, then I love them, but to me that's a rare occurence in anime. I think Steins;Gate was the only one that stood out to me.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

25 by Gator »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

44 by Gator »»
10 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

51 by Gator »»
11 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

29 by Ratris_Decision »»
12 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

87 by Gator »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.