Forum Settings
Forums

"Do you know any famous people/celebrity who watch anime or read manga?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Dec 31, 2009 3:32 AM

Dec 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:

Any adaptation Hollywood makes will suck ass. Zac Efron will never be a good Light. No matter how many people say so. Keanu Reeves will fucking suck as Spike.

My my quite the angry little lad are ya? Jumping to conclusions like a bloke still in grammar school.

Well the Zac Efron as Light thing was never a Hollywood idea, Warner Bros had their eye on Chase Crawford or Ben Barnes for the role as "Luke" last I checked. The Zac Efron bit was actually the fan pick because of how similar they look. I like to think its because Efron is a fan of the manga itself and probably based his casual attire on Light. As for his acting ability well he's untapped talent but he hasn't done much outside of his type cast so no one can say for sure if he's a good pick or not. Unless you happen to see him audition for the part. Personally I think Ben Barnes is the far better choice.

As for Keanu Reeves well its not so much "Hollywood's Cowboy Bebop" more over "Keanu Reeves' Cowboy Bebop" since he's practically the only person in the entire production that wants to do this film and pushed both Fox and Sunrise to go through with it. I'm sure both people in the production and many others wouldn't have Reeves as their first choice for his wooden acting but no one can say for sure if he'll be a horrible Spike.
Dec 31, 2009 4:37 PM

Jul 2008
Death Note is a series that Hollywood can actually adapt. It is not that hard. As much as I dislike Zac Efron, he would make a good Light. Given that he actually tries and gets in a crazy mentality, he could pull it off. You guys are acting like Death Note is some holy series. The Speed Racer movie was good, so king that assholes.

DBZ is a really rare case where it was just terrible with not redeeming qualities.
Jan 1, 2010 7:01 AM

Sep 2007
DoctorForHire said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Any adaptation Hollywood makes will suck ass. Zac Efron will never be a good Light. No matter how many people say so. Keanu Reeves will fucking suck as Spike.

My my quite the angry little lad are ya? Jumping to conclusions like a bloke still in grammar school.

No kidding. This is the same kind of person that would have blindly complained about Michael Keaton playing Batman, and yet he's considered one of the best Batmans ever. I hate when people make a blanket statement based solely on the fact that an actor has only played one type of role. Zac's only 20 or so. He has plenty of room to grow. He already looks like Light and he's a fan of the series. That's 2 bonuses that would make me want to choose him over somebody else if i were directing because I know he'd be dedicated to doing it right.

Jeez...just look at Bruce Willis, Robin Williams, & Tom Hanks. They all started their acting careers in comedic roles, but they're also respected as great dramatic actors as well. WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT?!

Touka said:
Gackt Camui (dunno who this guy is but im told he likes anime)
He's a Japanese musician.

Major_G said:
Gackt gets MAJOR props from me for doing a music video that takes place in a destroyed Gundam.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines
Jan 1, 2010 7:07 AM

Feb 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:

Any adaptation Hollywood makes will suck ass.

Right, because Hollywood has never, ever made a good movie, or a good adaptation of anything.

Seriously, I know it's the "cool" thing to bash the lack of quality in Hollywood films these days, but most of us will end up watching them. Are your most favorite movies all foreign made or independent?

Jan 4, 2010 5:00 PM

Aug 2007
DoctorForHire said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Well the Zac Efron as Light thing was never a Hollywood idea, Warner Bros had their eye on Chase Crawford or Ben Barnes for the role as "Luke" last I checked. The Zac Efron bit was actually the fan pick because of how similar they look. I like to think its because Efron is a fan of the manga itself and probably based his casual attire on Light. As for his acting ability well he's untapped talent but he hasn't done much outside of his type cast so no one can say for sure if he's a good pick or not. Unless you happen to see him audition for the part. Personally I think Ben Barnes is the far better choice.

As for Keanu Reeves well its not so much "Hollywood's Cowboy Bebop" more over "Keanu Reeves' Cowboy Bebop" since he's practically the only person in the entire production that wants to do this film and pushed both Fox and Sunrise to go through with it. I'm sure both people in the production and many others wouldn't have Reeves as their first choice for his wooden acting but no one can say for sure if he'll be a horrible Spike.

It's Hollywood. They would just fuck up Death Note. It should never be made and it doesn't matter if somebody is a fan of a series. It will still be shit. Cowboy Bebop will be shitty. Keanu Reeves + good anime = double shit Hollywood adaptation.

ArtRodriguez said:
Death Note is a series that Hollywood can actually adapt. It is not that hard. As much as I dislike Zac Efron, he would make a good Light. Given that he actually tries and gets in a crazy mentality, he could pull it off. You guys are acting like Death Note is some holy series. The Speed Racer movie was good, so king that assholes.

DBZ is a really rare case where it was just terrible with not redeeming qualities.

Speed Racer was good? That's a good laugh. DBZ is not a rare case. DBZ is 100% what happens when Hollywood touches anime.

ArnoldK said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Any adaptation Hollywood makes will suck ass.

Right, because Hollywood has never, ever made a good movie, or a good adaptation of anything.

Seriously, I know it's the "cool" thing to bash the lack of quality in Hollywood films these days, but most of us will end up watching them. Are your most favorite movies all foreign made or independent?

I should have said anime adaptation. Actually pretty much the only good adaptations they do are books and comics. They should stay away from anime and video games.
Jan 4, 2010 7:42 PM

Oct 2009
Lots of bashing on Hollywood anime adaptations I see...

In my opinion, I like anime to stay as anime, and not be adapted into live action films. I mean, when it's anime it's obvious how unrealistic it can be, but anime can pull that off and still be a fun movie. It's harder to make an anime adaptation though.. I haven't watched many anime adaptations though, but the first time I saw DBZ as a live-action film was... Interesting <.< I don't think I'll criticize the movies just yet since they aren't out yet, but I'm not planning to keep my hopes up for Death Note or Cowboy Bebop.

" ... carpenters fashion wood; wise people fashion themselves" - Buddhism
Jan 4, 2010 9:16 PM

Jun 2009
The only one I know is Samuel L. Jackson. I've seen him in some interviews that he likes anime.
Jan 5, 2010 6:12 AM

Dec 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:

It's Hollywood. They would just fuck up Death Note. It should never be made and it doesn't matter if somebody is a fan of a series. It will still be shit. Cowboy Bebop will be shitty. Keanu Reeves + good anime = double shit Hollywood adaptation.

Speed Racer was good? That's a good laugh. DBZ is not a rare case. DBZ is 100% what happens when Hollywood touches anime.

I should have said anime adaptation. Actually pretty much the only good adaptations they do are books and comics. They should stay away from anime and video games.

Now now calm down boy, don't get all cross.

I understand you think Hollywood is some big giant entity that torches anything it touches. But sorry to tell you this, its not. Its a series of people and politics all working for different goals and interests. When an adaptations goes awry and comes out like shit its not cause of one giant monster like you think it is. Its because of multiple reasons, crappy budget, horrible script, bad acting, and director's or production staff that really don't care about the project and throw on anything to it, just to name a few reasons.

Lets use Dragonball Evolution for example, the only other American live action attempt at a Japanese anime (the other being Speed Racer obviously). Fox is known for having a money hungry group of big wigs in control (which is why most of their shows get canceled and a lot of their movies are really cheap and poor adaptations of popular franchises), during the Writers Strike they hired some cheap no name writer to do Dragonball because all the good writers (IE the Writers Guild of America) were on strike. Fox didn't care so they didn't listen to the golden rule of "Don't put have non WGA writers write anything for you" and got some horrible writer to write Dragonball for next to nothing. Ben Ramses (the writer) didn't watch Dragonball at all, he was paid to write another shit script knowing next to nothing about the franchise. Fox didn't care they just wanted it done, put into production, and count the money they'll make.

So the shit script is done, time to get a director attached. How Fox does it? They pay some director known for a couple average films to do it regardless if they like the script or not, James Wong. When a director is forced to do something he doesn't even like the quality of the production will drop severely. That's why Spider-Man 3 turned out so awry, Raimi's ideas were thrown in the trash and he was forced to used Venom, a character he thought could never work as a primary antagonist for one movie. All because Sony should have just let Raimi do his work instead of butting their noses in.

Then comes the cast, Fox just rinsed and repeated what they did for the director in this case. The entirety of the cast (except for James Marsters who acts like a complete twat at times) hated the script and it showed in their acting. But when you're a relatively unknown actor trying to get work you can't say yay or nay to whatever role comes your way. Unless you're trying to be a professional homeless bum that is.

Now then you have a horrible screenplay, a director that knows this movie will fail, and a cast that agrees. Add them together and you get a bad movie. This is why many adaptations fail because of one or more of these reasons. Usually the screenplay though.

And its not just America that fails to these problems. Hong Kong and Japan have both failed at this many many times. Like Hong Kong's upcoming King of Fighters movie, that was doomed from the moment they hired a director (who is a brilliant martial arts director might I add) that didn't even know KoF was a video game. How bout how Japan botched up Sukeban Deka with that 2006 remake. Or the multiple Hong Kong attempts at Crying Freeman, all terrible. Even Japan treats some of their most beloved franchises like garbage like the Kamen Rider franchise or when Sunrise had that horrible G-Saviour movie put out for the Gundam franchise.

Now when the production team has a level head and actual shows at least an iota of care in the production then the adaptation will turn out well. Lets look at Iron Man: A screenwriter that was very familiar with the source and very experienced in writing. A director that knows how to treat the source with respect and what the movie calls for. A studio and producer that knew which director to pick and let them do their creative work as well as giving appropriate funds. And finally a cast that was not only full of pretty damn good actors and actresses but a few of them (namely RDJ himself who reads Marvel avidly) were incredibly familiar with the source and their characters and knew exactly how to play the role.

Its very possible for an anime, manga, or video game adaption to turn out like that, look at Dragon Tiger Gate, Initial D, Cutey Honey, or Mortal Kombat. Its naive and childish to think its impossible. Its just that most people don't treat the adaptations with the same amount of respect as how most novels are treated and some comic books are.

And the Speed Racer movie, while a very quirky movie with a plot that has its fair share of problems, was very close to the source. Which also had a pretty terrible plot and even worst dialogue. Can't blame them for sticking as close to the source as possible, but sometimes the material calls for straying away just a wee bit. The biggest thing out of that movie would be the fact that John Goodman and Susan Sarandan were really giving their A game for a C movie.
Jan 12, 2010 5:42 AM

Nov 2008
I think Hollywood should really put all got have to make a respectable outcome when it comes to adapting an anime. And why make an adpatation anyway when in my opinion anime should remain an anime.
Jan 28, 2010 10:14 PM
Oct 2009
I remember reading a while ago on wikipedia that Robin Williams is a big fan of Evangelion.

Oh yeah.... I also remember watching a special about anime in America on YouTube and apparently Rob Zombie is also into anime. From listening to his songs and knowing about the movies he's directed/been involved in or whatever, I can take a wild guess of anime he probably likes. Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D or other similarly gory horror anime are right up his alley. Actually, his previous band White Zombie even had a song called Devil Man. I wouldn't be surprised if the anime of the same name by Go Nagai inspired that song.
TraumaQueenAmyJan 29, 2010 12:52 AM
Jan 28, 2010 10:50 PM

Oct 2009
"The Babyfaced Assassin" Josh Barnett, mixed martial artist

Jan 29, 2010 5:55 AM

Jun 2009
Lauri Ylonen of The Rasmus has credited one of his hairstyles to DBZ
and Davey Havok of AFI has referred to himself as a faux anime pretty boy
I won't be fooled by a mere 3-d girl!!!

Jan 29, 2010 6:04 AM

May 2008
My friend...
He's on Bass and vocals in the Thrash Metal band - Soul AssasinS - He's name is Alemao...
He's favourite anime is Detroit Metal City ;D...
Jan 29, 2010 1:59 PM

Oct 2008
What do you people think of Britney Spears?
Her video "Break the Ice" was pretty anime-ish.

Jan 29, 2010 2:18 PM

Aug 2008
WWE Superstar John Cena is a fan of "Fist of the North Star"
which only made me like him even more

Jan 29, 2010 4:05 PM

Jun 2009
Kenju said:
WWE Superstar John Cena is a fan of "Fist of the North Star"
which only made me like him even more

Yeah that is pretty cool
I won't be fooled by a mere 3-d girl!!!

Jan 29, 2010 9:32 PM

Jan 2010
DoctorForHire said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

actually Sunrise agreed, and the entire original creator and cast is going to do a complete overview of it. It does have SOME hope, but even if it doesn't, I'm still a hardcore Bebop fan so I'll watch it either way.
Jan 29, 2010 9:36 PM

Jul 2008
-Karma- said:
My friend...
He's on Bass and vocals in the Thrash Metal band - Soul AssasinS - He's name is Alemao...
He's favourite anime is Detroit Metal City ;D...

Yeah he's not a celebrity.
Jan 29, 2010 10:07 PM

Aug 2009
DoctorForHire said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Even though everything you've just said was very informing and insightful, I don't think you'll get it into his head. Unfortunetly, most fanboy/Japanophiles are like that. They go into rage mode once western culture decides to interfere with the "precious-ness" of their idea of what Japanese pop culture is. In their mind: Japan >>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest of the world even if something Japan has produced is terrible.

Anyway, I've heard that Kirsten Dunst was a huge fan of Sailor Moon when she was younger. Recently, she's been seen in Akihabara, Japan (i.e the city of otaku) dressed up in what looks like Lucky Star cosplay. I think that's pretty cool of her even though I'm not a big LS fan. Here's a pic of her:

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Jan 30, 2010 10:14 AM

Aug 2007
Selkaine said:
DoctorForHire said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Even though everything you've just said was very informing and insightful, I don't think you'll get it into his head. Unfortunetly, most fanboy/Japanophiles are like that. They go into rage mode once western culture decides to interfere with the "precious-ness" of their idea of what Japanese pop culture is. In their mind: Japan >>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest of the world even if something Japan has produced is terrible.

Anyway, I've heard that Kirsten Dunst was a huge fan of Sailor Moon when she was younger. Recently, she's been seen in Akihabara, Japan (i.e the city of otaku) dressed up in what looks like Lucky Star cosplay. I think that's pretty cool of her even though I'm not a big LS fan. Here's a pic of her:

You're pretty fucking stupid. Where did I say that it's because it's Japanese? I said Hollywood fucks up almost any adaptations they do. It's fucking hilarious you think I'm a weeabo. Well we've already established you can't read so you will just misread this again.
Jan 30, 2010 12:24 PM

Nov 2009
After Robin Williams did the Genie in (the original) Alladin I think that got him started down the anime path, or at least depened his interest. He's always remarked that it was on of him most fun and memorable roles he's ever played. Anime humor and him go along hand in hand ^^

James Cameron doing a LA Battle Angel could be really good, especially if he could draw Ridley Scott into helping out. I can't think of a better director that would do their homework and work to produce a quality movie that is entertaining, but a great work on its own (not a sellout).

One musicians I'm an acquantice with, Glenn Danzig is a huge anime fun. He collects comic and animation art. Always a blast to see him at SDCC behind the dealers table selling stuff, or running around buying it like a kid in a candy store.
Jan 31, 2010 12:06 AM

Aug 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:

You're pretty fucking stupid. Where did I say that it's because it's Japanese? I said Hollywood fucks up almost any adaptations they do. It's fucking hilarious you think I'm a weeabo. Well we've already established you can't read so you will just misread this again.

U mad?

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Feb 1, 2010 5:31 PM

Nov 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Selkaine said:
DoctorForHire said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

How cute! But it's definitely not a Lucky Star cosplay..

XD

Feb 1, 2010 5:40 PM

Jun 2008
No one has said Seth Green yet? Almost every other episode of Robot Chicken has an anime reference somewhere.

Kanye West being a fan of hentai...surprise there. No, really - I'm surprised.
Feb 1, 2010 8:00 PM

Aug 2009
BadLuckTuck said:
No one has said Seth Green yet? Almost every other episode of Robot Chicken has an anime reference somewhere.

Actually I thought Seth Green, or at least the writers, would be a big fan of hentai. I remember seeing a robot chicken clip with a tentacle monster calling an anime school girl on the phone for a date and one with Queen Beryl from Sailor Moon being a futa.

Wow. Kanye West, huh? .....

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Feb 1, 2010 8:10 PM

Jun 2008
Selkaine said:
BadLuckTuck said:

Actually I thought Seth Green, or at least the writers, would be a big fan of hentai. I remember seeing a robot chicken clip with a tentacle monster calling an anime school girl on the phone for a date and one with Queen Beryl from Sailor Moon being a futa.

Wow. Kanye West, huh? .....

I also saw a few with DBZ, one with Inu Yasha, and I do believe I saw the one with Sailor Moon (the one I saw, the guy kept on getting a boner every time she came to stop him or whatever.) I even think I heard somewhere that he went to a con or something, but it was probably the San Diego Comic Con.
Feb 1, 2010 10:08 PM

Aug 2006
Can't think of any really famous actors of anything, but a few people related to my other hobbies (which would be skateboarding, not rap). In other words, niche celebrities.

Jeremy Klein, who was a really popular skateboarder in the 90's is really into anime. He even had a signature board in the early 90's with the Knight Sabers on it. His company actually takes popular anime girls (mostly from the 90's) and uses them on boards after changing them just enough to not get sued. Which would be awesome except that whoever does the art for him sucks and has too much of an American-ish style. Since I found his email address a few years ago but forgot about it, I'm totally about to email him and ask him what I should watch next, since my plan to watch list is ungodly long.

Continuing the skateboarding theme another popular skateboarder from the 90's / early 2000's, Chad Muska mentions Outlaw Star in one of his songs when he dabbled as a rapper (I think it featured Jeru the Damaja), but since the other references in that song mention all American comic book / cartoon characters, I wouldn't say he's probably that into anime.

Also, I saw someone mention Lupe Fiasco. Fuck that guy. If he's as into anime as he is into skateboarding, than he's seen a handful of stuff from the early 2000's or late 90's at best. He's just looking for a way to be popular by being different (and unfortunately succeeding).
Feb 2, 2010 12:56 AM
Dec 2008
BadLuckTuck said:

I'm now thinking about Kanye West watching Boku no Pico.

Feels bad man.
Feb 2, 2010 2:17 AM

Aug 2009
Usami-Haru said:
BadLuckTuck said:

Feels bad man.

I just LOL'd like hell

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Feb 2, 2010 2:33 AM

Jan 2010
Zac Efron I am positive, but can't remember what anime he liked. Could be Pokemon...
Feb 2, 2010 2:35 AM

Oct 2009
Usami-Haru said:
BadLuckTuck said:

Feels bad man.
lol
Feb 2, 2010 3:19 AM

Aug 2009
werr-y said:
Zac Efron I am positive, but can't remember what anime he liked. Could be Pokemon...

They say he's a huge fan of Death Note and Full Metal Panic. Reads the manga too.

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Feb 2, 2010 3:21 AM

Oct 2009
Otacons_Girl said:
The guys from Linkin Park all say they are big anime fans.
Keanu Reeves has said he likes Sci-fi anime and he's playing Spike now....
James Cameron is another big fan. He wants to do Battle Angel which would be interesting.
Quentin Tarentino is also a big anime fan.
Robin Williams is a huge anime fan. He collects a lot of anime, he mentions his love of anime in many, many interviews.

Never really thought about it. But this is really interesting :)

Feb 2, 2010 1:41 PM

Jun 2008
Usami-Haru said:
BadLuckTuck said:

Feels bad man.

It does. But I would be less surprised if he did.
Feb 2, 2010 5:00 PM

Aug 2009
EternalSnowXx said:
Ooh, they guys from Cinema Bizarre are anime fans (you might not have heard of them, but they're reasonably big in Germany and they opened for Lady GaGa during her tour).
They met at an anime convention.

Hmm... you know they do look like irl bishounen

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Feb 7, 2010 12:18 AM

Nov 2008
Kirsten-chan said:

I don'y think she's a fan it's out of her character..

Though we didn't know anime fans are around the world..

n_n
la_tigraApr 22, 2010 7:36 AM
Feb 7, 2010 1:25 AM

Aug 2007
la_tigra said:
Kirsten-chan said:

I don'y think she's a fan it's out of her character..

Though we didn't know Otakus are around the world..

n_n

Otaku does not mean anime fan.
Apr 22, 2010 7:39 AM

Nov 2008
Sorry my bad..
Apr 22, 2010 9:38 AM

Nov 2008
Kirsten Dunce

There's a music video on Youtube about her being an anime fan but it's NSFW (contains hentai).

Apr 22, 2010 5:13 PM

Dec 2009
Hoppy said:
Kirsten Dunce

There's a music video on Youtube about her being an anime fan but it's NSFW (contains hentai).
can you send me a link to that? im curious
Apr 22, 2010 6:06 PM

Apr 2009
Voltaire (the goth musician) likes anime. YES.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Apr 23, 2010 8:03 AM

Nov 2007
Oh god... this thread made my day.
Srs shock.

Hide and Seek

The Resistance
Apr 23, 2010 11:45 AM

Aug 2007
Hoppy said:
Kirsten Dunce

Just post it here.
Apr 23, 2010 3:35 PM

Aug 2009
CottonCandyLover said:
hayley williams is now officially even more awesome than i originally thought she was.

I feel the same way, CottonCandyLover XD

Also I haven't seen anyone mention the Vanguard of Hip Hop, Lupe Fiasco! Who I prefer over Mr. West.

In Kanye West's track "Touch the Sky," Lupe introduces himself with this,

"Yes, yes, yes guess who's on third, Lupe steal like Lupin the 3rd"

And in a track Lupe has titled Daydreamin' he's talking about being in a gaint robot. As to what series he's referencing I don't know. There's also talk that he refers to other anime in his works too (which wouldn't suprise me)

If there's still any doubt, he has a side project punk-rock band called Japanese Cartoons. That speaks for itself.
Apr 23, 2010 3:43 PM

Feb 2009
Its old news but I remember the band Linkin Park showed a lot of interest in anime. I remember a music video where they showed gundam figurines and a there was a gundam robot thing on their Re-Animation album cover. Also one of their music DVDs had a manga with it. (sorry if this was already mentioned, I didnt look through all the posts)
Apr 23, 2010 4:02 PM

Nov 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Hoppy said:
Kirsten Dunce

Just post it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imvxyMz-ru4

NSFW warning

Apr 30, 2010 8:23 PM

Mar 2010
The former Prime Minister of Japan, Taro Aso and Shoko Nakagawa are otaku
Jul 1, 2010 3:44 PM
Jul 2018
Among the celebrities is Bosco Wong who watched Creamy Mami. Bosco is a famous + hit+ top actor and singer in Hong Kong.
Jul 6, 2010 7:34 AM

Nov 2008
o_O
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

24 by luckyrune »»
9 seconds ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

68 by DigiCat »»
6 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 2 hours ago

5 by Nirinbo »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Yesterday

15 by SnipeStrike »»
12 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

28 by SnipeStrike »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.