Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2009 3:01 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Although it was very slow-paced and the ending was not the most satisfying one, I still enjoyed this OVA. It's true that a big part of it consists of flashbacks, but those are amazingly well-done with fluid and stunning new animation.
Apr 11, 2010 2:15 PM

May 2008
I pretty much enjoyed the fight with the guy that kidnapped Kaoru. It was pretty bad-ass <3
Jun 20, 2013 3:11 PM

Jan 2013
This part is like a remember the series with all those flash-backs. But the second part will make up for it. Second part is really strong.
Jul 28, 2014 12:51 PM

Oct 2013
Oddly enough, I actually don't hate the voice acting. I hated the dub cast for the New Kyoto Arc OVA and for the RK movie, but I guess I'm either just getting used to the cast changes (some of them changing with every bloody entry) or they fit the tone and atmosphere of this OVA better. The art, on the other hand, is weird. It worked for Trust & Betrayal but it doesn't really work under the light of the RK series.

Anyway, I enjoyed this OVA. Didn't love it, but definitely enjoyed it. The flashbacks mostly covered things I hadn't seen for a couple months now, so they didn't bore me any. Plus, the fact they were portrayed under a different atmosphere with different dialogue helped (for the most part; Kenshin's "somewhat" reply to Kaoru when she showed up in Kyoto was ridiculously bad).

Judging by the end, it seems like the next episode will summarize the second story arc of the manga - y'know, the one which was never even animated to begin with. Being that I haven't read it... I'm kinda concerned to watch the next episode of this OVA without having it spoiled to me before I even can read it, lol.

I hope Kenshin isn't really going to die out in the sea (?) like the opening implied. <_> I heard this OVA is really depressing, but if it just throws the depressing event(s) at you right at the beginning, it kind of ruins the point.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 28, 2016 4:42 PM

May 2012
Ooh I sure loved this! The whole anime felt totally different, more mature and realistic if I must put some words to it! The animation and art were obviously superior and did create this better atmosphere and setting.

Quite love the way they handled this way of recapping the series, very well put in picture and I'm looking quite forward to see what the second episode will offer!
Sep 2, 2018 8:59 PM

Jul 2017
Awesome episode with a new perspective on the story from Kaoru and more realistic than the anime TV show. Kenshin comes off as rather cold and distant just as someone in his position would be. It does seem like he is trying though.
Apr 16, 2020 9:05 AM

Sep 2019
I want to share my story on this anime. First I heard about this anime on a YouTube video and it interests me. The YouTuber was talking about the prologue (4EP OVA). So at the time I was already captivated by the show so planned to watch the show just after a day. And man during that time I was completely invested in it. It was like I am right beside Kenshin. It just blew my mind. My thoughts were at that time: in just 4 ep im feeling like I know his entire character I can feel his pain. So was so happy and soon after I find out there is more 95EP of Kenshin that I can watch,continuation! I was like GOD thank you. But I was a fool just after watching the first episode I was like: who is this guy? What is this shit? Who's that bitch? (kouru). It was so bad that I was feeling like vomiting. My thoughts were:
1) why they added comedy in it? Kenshin is a heavy character. He is composed and calm. Seeing him like this makes me sad.

2) why this bitch who is basically Sakura trying to drag my man Kenshin like he's no shit? No I don't have any problem with her just don't try to insulate my man Kenshin.

3) what is with the animation? Yo I know it was made in 1995 but I can recall a show name Cowboy Bebop and the animation on that show by keeping it mind it was made in the same era is just amazing.

At that time I was at EP 6.
I figured out I just can't so I decided to drop the show.

And now watching this specific episode and the rewind of the 95ep show with out comedy is making me feel happy. They should just do this kind of animation on the 95ep series. Plot is important but you can just read manga for it. But an anime is half about the animation and half about other things.

Basically Im trying to say is that this show is good, I'm happy I watched it.
AvichiiApr 16, 2020 9:16 AM
Dec 17, 2020 5:46 AM
Dec 2020
okkkklklllkkkkkkkkkkkk
Jun 21, 2021 7:27 PM
Jun 2021
I like this movie. Always
Jan 17, 2022 6:41 PM

Nov 2010
Cameo of Shishio is always welcome!

Fate is so cruel to Kenshin. After everything he has gone through, now he has a debilitating disease. Also, he lived long enough to see Japan become evil. There's no peace for him.

The missing Jinchu arc! I can't wait for the shin anime project.
Sep 12, 2022 9:48 AM
May 2022
man the animeeeeeeeeeee

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Seisouhen Episode 2 Discussion

gohdan - May 2, 2010

28 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 23, 2022 8:25 PM

» Aniplex Blu-ray missing scenes?

Nishimura - Jun 26, 2013

1 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
Jun 13, 2022 11:33 PM

» Just beautiful .. help reach this to a lot of people

Arcus____ - Jun 5, 2021

0 by Arcus____ »»
Jun 5, 2021 3:30 PM

» A director's cut version?

Mylo_08 - Jan 22, 2020

1 by WatchTillTandava »»
Mar 25, 2020 7:45 PM

» the ending... ( 1 2 )

Romeo - Apr 19, 2008

65 by Tatsuya »»
Aug 3, 2019 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.