Forum Settings
Forums

[Organizational] A Role-Players Guide to Battles and Godmodding *PLEASE READ*

New
Nov 10, 2015 6:51 PM

Feb 2015
[u][i]A Roleplayers Guide: Battles[/u][/i]

This is my write up on how to perform in battles. Now I would like to preface this by saying, I am certainly not perfect at battles either. Every battle is different, and presents different challenges. I make mistakes and have issues as well. But, I try to follow these ideals and they seem to work out. Other would tend to agree. SO without further ado, a Battle guide. Hopefully the battle guide to end all battle guides.

[u]Section 1: What does a good battle post contain?[/u]

Well a good battle post contains details. Lots and lots of details. I look at it this way. When I battle, I picture the move I am going to make my character perform, in my head first. I take that snapshot and then use it formulate my post. This is where details come in.

The goal, is to provide enough details, that the snapshot I am seeing my character perform in my head, is very very similar to what my opponent pictures my character doing, when he reads the post. To accomplish this task, you need to use quite a bit of details. Descriptive adjectives are your best friend in this situation. Take for a example, a one line battle post such as:

“Bob attacked and slashed with his sword.”

Yes, you can vaguely understand what Bob did. But, when I picture bob attacking in my head, the chances are, what I am picturing is still at least moderately different than what my opponent was envisioning when he made the post. So when some adjectives and other devices are used to spruce up this post with details, the move I envision Bob doing, is much closer to what Bob’s original poster was also envisioning and therefore intending.

Example:

“Bob lunged forward at his opponent. He raised his sword over his head and brought it slicing downwards in a vertical slash. Right at his opponent. He used all his strength and the sword moved with great speed.”

See the Difference? They were both the same move. With the same outcome and same execution. But I would almost bet, that not everyone thought that bob was slashing like he did. Now the opponent has a much clearer idea of what your trying to have your character perform. This makes his response usually come quicker, because he doesn’t have to think about what you are trying to do. He can read it and basically know what your character performed. This also helps alleviate any other misinterpretations or misunderstanding, while in turn, helps alleviate disputes, annoyance, and will keep all the role-players in a generally better mood.

[u]Section 2: Godmodding[/u]

There are many different forms of Godmodding. I will explain what all those forms are and then how to avoid Godmodding in a battle. I use the term Godmodding to describe all different forms.

Form 1 - Godmoding

Godmod (noun) - Godmoding specific to character creation, skills, and certain situations.

Godmoding

Form 2 - Powerplaying

Powerplay (noun) - Godmoding by controlling another roleplayer’s character without permission.

Powerplayer (noun) - A roleplayer who exerts powerplay.

Powerplaying (verb) - The act of controlling another character in active roleplay.

Bunnying (verb) - A synonym for powerplay, arising from Tumblr RPGs.

Powerplay

Form 3 - Metagaming

Metagaming (verb) - The use of out of character knowledge in character.

Metagamer (noun) - One who has metagamed or metagames.

Metagaming

Form 4 - Retconning

Retcon (noun) - The rescinding of a plot or In Character occurrence; roleplayers acting as if a plot never occurred.

Retconning (verb) - The act of rescinding of a plot, or otherwise acting as if it did not exist.

Retconning

Please Visit the following links for more information, examples, and advice on how to avoid each specific form of Godmodding. Since these links provide everything you need to know, you cannot say you did not know about it. We have given you every opportunity and plenty of resources to help you. You will have a few warnings, but ignorance is not a good excuse.

The best way to avoid God modding in a battle is very simple. Any action your character makes, has a positive or negative consequence. Which means, your opponent must be allowed to react to EVERYTHING you do. So no hits can be landed by you in one post. Whether a hit is landed is up to the admins and your opponent. Other things though need to be addressed. Things that take time, such as closing a gap with an opponents character, Surrounding an opponent if you have more allies, are things that can be godmodding if done in one post. It takes time to surround someone. It cannot be done in one post. You opponent must be able to react to the movement of your allies in the attempt to surround you. Unless your allies were hidden on the flanks. Always keep in mind, that your opponent needs to have the opportunity to React to everything you do in a battle.

[u]Section 3: Posting Order[/u]

The posting order is a very important section. I’m guilty of sometimes breaking this rule, though it is a very important rule. During a battle, all occupants have the right to post once per cycle. Now to define a cycle. A Cycle, is the process of which all players in the battle on both sides post once. So all players on both sides post once = 1 cycle.

If no posting order is established, then the players can post in any order during the cycle. If a posting order is established, then the players must post in that said order. Sometimes the posting order will allow a player to post more than once. That is the only time it is acceptable.

If a cycle is coming to an end and you want to post near the beginning of the next cycle you can always try to reserve your place to post. Most clubs will allow it, and they should allow it. Especially since Everyone’s posts can be of varying length. So it may take you longer to form your post. So Reserving can be a good thing.

If you see people posting more than once per cycle, and it is giving them an advantage, it is god modding and not allowed. Inform an admin and they should take care it.

Section 4: Sportsmanship

Be mature and courteous to your opponent, even in defeat. You might get mad at first, that's pretty normal, but getting upset about it serves no one. Instead, if you feel the defeat to be questionable, present your feelings on the matter in a calm and open manner. Showing any aggression can cause a very heated argument and that is not at all encouraged. No one likes being yelled at.

Try looking at it from their point of view: They might not be able to see what you see, as you might not be able to see what they see. This is why discussion is key, as both parties can see from their rping partners point of view. I guarantee that the vast majority of the time, they are not being malicious. If they truly ARE being malicious, report it to an admin.

Admins are here to help you and guide you. We can usually tell when Godmodding is intentional and unintentional. Please, don’t take it personally if we point out godmodding. We are trying to help and keep things as fair as possible. We will work with you, to help you understand how it is godmodding and how to avoid it in the future. Again, they more than likely don't mean any harm and a quick and polite heads up will usually create a favorable outcome. Sometimes it doesn't, as some people are lacking in maturity. Continuing to show them courtesy may however be exactly what they need. If someone shows you respect and courtesy, then showing them the same courtesy and respect will go a long way.

We will not think less of you if you lose once in a while. It won’t make you look bad unless you throw a fit. Especially if you can take the loss gracefully. Hell, you might find it more fun than you think it is! We're all here for roleplay and nothing creates more opportunity for a character to grow than failure.

Credit to Tamoball for Sportsmanship section

IamtheecchikingNov 11, 2015 5:55 PM
Something Important
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » [Organizational] Administration Request Thread

Iamtheecchiking - Nov 10, 2015

1 by Elvario »»
Jan 10, 2016 3:14 AM

» [The Rat People] Mountain Pass (Danger)

Iamtheecchiking - Nov 12, 2015

19 by MysticalPhoenix »»
Jan 1, 2016 1:14 PM

» [The Plains People] Chiefs Tent *QUEST*

2 by LightSpark090 »»
Dec 29, 2015 12:04 AM

» [The Plains People] Open Plain ( 1 2 )

92 by Zeno »»
Dec 26, 2015 9:57 AM

Sticky: » [Organizational] Player Character Creation ( 1 2 )

58 by Rauzi »»
Dec 26, 2015 12:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.