Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 6, 2015 3:27 AM

Jul 2012
AzureDaora said:
Okabe: some crazy mad scientist that has a harem
Kaiki: Some 2deep4u guy that likes to lie
Shichika: an idiotic outcast that changes into an idiotic revenge freak
can't speak behalf of kaiki but thats pretty damn accurate
Nov 6, 2015 3:28 AM

Feb 2015
Yes absolutely.
Nov 6, 2015 3:30 AM

Nov 2014
mayukachan said:
AzureDaora said:
Okabe: some crazy mad scientist that has a harem
Kaiki: Some 2deep4u guy that likes to lie
Shichika: an idiotic outcast that changes into an idiotic revenge freak
at least you get it I think

Oversimplifying characters doesn't make them bad but only summarizes them and makes them look "bad", ignoring everything else that happens within the content.

Nov 6, 2015 3:31 AM

Jul 2012
AzureDaora said:
mayukachan said:
at least you get it I think

Oversimplifying characters doesn't make them bad but only summarizes them and makes them look "bad", ignoring everything else that happens within the content.

no, i genuinely did not think madoka had strong or complex characters. i also think they were the weak part of the story, as almost all of them didn't get enough fleshing out.

s;g and katana did not need strong characters to push the story forward, i thought.
Nov 6, 2015 3:34 AM
Jun 2015
mayukachan said:
JewellTH said:
Woah, so much hate on the characters. Why?

Madoka : boring happy average protag, unlikeable
Homura : emo and not enough development for a "main" chara
Sakura : abusive tsundere who likes apples
Mami : who? oh right
Sayaka : actually interesting but not that much focus on her

Madoka, I can understand.
Homura, lolwut. You know character development means "A character who changes from how they started" Homura started out as a shy girl and then the timelines sent her serious and cold. The ending allows her to accept Madoka's thoughts and moves on parting ways with her. In the movie, she's so in love with Madoka that
Seems like she fucking changed there.
Sakura, what's wrong with liking apples? She isn't abusive, she just hates Sayaka because she reminds her of herself.
Mami, lol that's not a reason to hate someone.
Sayaka: She got an arc of 6 episodes in a 12 episode show, WHAT THE FUCK MORE FOCUS DO YOU WANT!?
Nov 6, 2015 3:34 AM

Oct 2010
mayukachan said:
JewellTH said:
Woah, so much hate on the characters. Why?

Madoka : boring happy average protag, unlikeable

Yeah, Madoka overflows with happiness. What the hell.
Nov 6, 2015 3:35 AM

Nov 2014
Homura is complex shit especially because of the Rebellion movie, Sayaka and Madoka are pretty strong characters. Mami and Kyouko are lacking (actually Madoka as well), but they're good enough.

But if you think S;G and Katanagatari did not need strong characters, why push them and expect one from PMMM?

Nov 6, 2015 3:40 AM

Oct 2010
Wouldn't it be easier to admit that a strong character is not the same as a complex and thoroughly developed character? Because that's not what I said when I mentioned that Madoka had strong characters. Madoka is too fast-paced. It lacks properly explored transitions and thorough development. And yet, it has recognizable and empathic personalities. They drive the story with their situational drama.
Nov 6, 2015 3:45 AM

Feb 2015
Seiya said:
I think it's overrated, but I'm not allowed to say anything about it, because someone will give the "You can't say things about Anime you've never seen" BS.

But despite not having seen it, it looks far too violent for my taste, and I hate psychological thrillers.

There's no way Madoka Magica could hold a candle to greats like Akazukin Chacha, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, and Futari wa Precure.

It's not very violent at all (in terms of blood and gore), but the plot gets pretty dark.
Nov 6, 2015 3:46 AM

Mar 2015
Nov 6, 2015 4:03 AM

Nov 2014
jal90 said:
Wouldn't it be easier to admit that a strong character is not the same as a complex and thoroughly developed character? Because that's not what I said when I mentioned that Madoka had strong characters. Madoka is too fast-paced. It lacks properly explored transitions and thorough development. And yet, it has recognizable and empathic personalities. They drive the story with their situational drama.
... did someone delete a post?

Well, I was about to mention it, but said fuck it because tbh people don't seem to know the difference even when presented to them.
Yes, over time after like the 3rd watch of the series I leaned to this, but imo I don't think that "too fast-paced" is the thing.

I've said this time and time again, but one of the things I like the best about Madoka is that there is little to no scene that doesn't have relevance to the story as a whole. The interaction, the establishment, etc. Hence why the movie remake, especially the first one, seems so lacking because of constraint of time, despite having removed seemingly inconsequential things.

Madoka focused more on the story, it's plot-driven, and with the time it has it has no time to delve upon everything within the characters.
So I don't think that it's "too fast paced" (It is fast paced yes, but I don't think it's "too"), but instead that its focus was different and it could have allotted more time to expand on the characters. Which is a close definition, but not really the same.

Nov 6, 2015 4:05 AM

Oct 2013
Would be in my TOP 10 worst shows that I finished.
Nov 6, 2015 4:07 AM

Jan 2013
Yup. It's nothing but a deconstruction (nice buzzword there) of the Mahou Shoujo genre.
Nothing more, nothing less. It is very average, expect for the art. I think it's butt-ugly.
Nov 6, 2015 4:11 AM
Nov 2015
Nov 6, 2015 4:14 AM

Nov 2014
Randoll_ said:

>Implying TAS is legit
opinion descarted

Nov 6, 2015 4:17 AM

Jul 2012
jal90 said:
I'm just going to make my way out and agree with this as this is more accurate than me shaming the characters for lacking a personality.

AzureDaora said:
But if you think S;G and Katanagatari did not need strong characters, why push them and expect one from PMMM?
S;G relied on the sci-fi world and I felt like the characters were sufficient - as in if they got any more complicated, the story would deteriorate. Katanagatari, the character interactions and voice acting alone were enough to make it decent. The entire story was not complicated so the characters matched.
Nov 6, 2015 4:18 AM

Oct 2010
AzureDaora said:
jal90 said:

Nope, I just jumped a few posts. I was rather talking about your discussion with mayukachan in the early posts of this page and the bottom from last page, but it seems I was a little late to the party :P

AzureDaora said:
Well, I was about to mention it, but said fuck it because tbh people don't seem to know the difference even when presented to them.
Yes, over time after like the 3rd watch of the series I leaned to this, but imo I don't think that "too fast-paced" is the thing.

I've said this time and time again, but one of the things I like the best about Madoka is that there is little to no scene that doesn't have relevance to the story as a whole. The interaction, the establishment, etc. Hence why the movie remake, especially the first one, seems so lacking because of constraint of time, despite having removed seemingly inconsequential things.

Madoka focused more on the story, it's plot-driven, and with the time it has it has no time to delve upon everything within the characters.
So I don't think that it's "too fast paced" (It is fast paced yes, but I don't think it's "too"), but instead that its focus was different and it could have allotted more time to expand on the characters. Which is a close definition, but not really the same.

Not that I disagree. Every scene in Madoka seems made with the purpose of advancing the plot, and it's clear where do priorities lie.

And yet, the case of Mami didn't work properly, if at all. It worked as a shock effect for the audience but it didn't manage to further resonate. A case of story advancing faster than characters. I don't think it's exactly a matter of priorities, even if priorities here took a role. I think it just couldn't fit everything it wanted to in such a short amount of time. It's not that the series didn't need the whole chain of events that ended up conforming and putting in context the situation, if anything it needed more things to happen and more time to be spent. It moved too fast.
Nov 6, 2015 4:18 AM

Sep 2014
Yes, I do. The ending was admittedly kinda cool, but first 8 or so episodes are very boring, and I don't really like most of the characters. (Except for Kyouko. She's cool.)
Nov 6, 2015 4:20 AM
Nov 2015
AzureDaora said:
Randoll_ said:

>Implying TAS is legit
opinion descarted

What's so bad about this video? Just because it's from an idiot doesn't mean his arguments hold no value.
Nov 6, 2015 4:23 AM

Dec 2012
No, it's one of the only magical girl shows that I actually like.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 6, 2015 4:25 AM

Apr 2014
it's still Mahou Shoujo.
Nov 6, 2015 4:35 AM

Nov 2014
jal90 said:
AzureDaora said:

Nope, I just jumped a few posts. I was rather talking about your discussion with mayukachan in the early posts of this page and the bottom from last page, but it seems I was a little late to the party :P

Oh XD
I first thought that you were talking to me and I was like "wut"

AzureDaora said:

Not that I disagree. Every scene in Madoka seems made with the purpose of advancing the plot, and it's clear where do priorities lie.

And yet, the case of Mami didn't work properly, if at all. It worked as a shock effect for the audience but it didn't manage to further resonate. A case of story advancing faster than characters. I don't think it's exactly a matter of priorities, even if priorities here took a role. I think it just couldn't fit everything it wanted to in such a short amount of time. It's not that the series didn't need the whole chain of events that ended up conforming and putting in context the situation, if anything it needed more things to happen and more time to be spent. It moved too fast.

While we have no way to actually ascertain what it's supposed to do to the viewers (It never worked for me as a lasting effect as well, especially since I was spoiled to that even before watching the series), I'm pretty sure that it was supposed to leave a lasting effect to the two girls she left behind.
Mami never left a lasting impression to us, true, but they did to Madoka and Sayaka. Mami served as Madoka's role model, and basically Sayaka's hope for saving Kamijou.
I don't think the series wanted to expand on Mami that much in the first place. Yes, we have her background and her personality explained (before her death), but other than that it never did try to do that at all. I even think that PMMM itself does recognize this, as Madoka was unwilling to save and resurrect Mami(someone that she doesn't know that much), when she was willing to save Sayaka from depression.

I do agree that the characters need expansion, though. Hence why Rebellion is greatness, especially in terms of Homura.

Nov 6, 2015 5:13 AM

Jun 2015
Yes to OP's question and also this:
mayukachan said:
ye son

also utena gets plenty of hype around here, don't try to fool me
mawaru penguindrum is the one that lacks hype out of ikuhara's works
Nov 6, 2015 5:16 AM
Jun 2015
Randoll_ said:

Really? You're going to the anime snob!? He's a fucking elitist parody!(I hope he is at least)
Nov 6, 2015 5:20 AM
Nov 2015
JewellTH said:
Randoll_ said:

Really? You're going to the anime snob!? He's a fucking elitist parody!(I hope he is at least)

If he is only a parody then it shouldn't be hard to debunk his arguments?
Nov 6, 2015 6:30 AM

Nov 2014
Randoll_ said:
JewellTH said:

If he is only a parody then it shouldn't be hard to debunk his arguments?
No, it's not at all.
His "criticism" is all just a blob of buzzwords, nitpicking and questionable "criticism".
I mean, the first few minutes consist of them talking about Madoka's MOM of all things.
What? She's a side character, she was never supposed to have that much. And no, she's not pointless. Then talking about the BACKGROUND, oh god
like even the fucking air conditioner
AzureDaoraNov 6, 2015 6:34 AM

Nov 6, 2015 6:37 AM

Nov 2014
I can't even finish the video. He is so wrong at the 5-6 min mark that I just cringe
just...watch episode 2. Just, go
did he even watch the show even

Nov 6, 2015 6:37 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
No

Also why are people so obsessed with the word 'overrated' anyway, it literally doesn't mean anything whatsoever other than the fact that your opinion conflicts with the one of the majority

I.E: get over it already
Nov 6, 2015 6:43 AM
Sep 2013
A lot of people say the music is the only good thing about it but I don't see what so great about new age hippie feminist warbling.
Nov 6, 2015 6:45 AM

Jul 2015
HaXXspetten said:
I.E: get over it already
Nov 6, 2015 6:45 AM

Sep 2014
Actually for the amount of criticism it gets from dedicated Urobuchi haters and others I'd say it's underrated.

Not that I care.
Nov 6, 2015 6:48 AM

Feb 2013
Who cares at this point? lol

Nov 6, 2015 6:50 AM

Jul 2014
It has interesting visuals, the concept is ok. Meh characters. Hated the ending.
Nov 6, 2015 6:56 AM
Sep 2013
badwolf45f said:
Who cares at this point? lol

OP and most everybody replying apparently
Nov 6, 2015 6:58 AM

Nov 2013
AzureDaora said:
I can't even finish the video. He is so wrong at the 5-6 min mark that I just cringe

You're not a real man until you watch both his overviews on FZ and Madoka without punching the screen or ripping out your hair.
Nov 6, 2015 7:01 AM

Nov 2014
Lollo36 said:
AzureDaora said:

You're not a real man until you watch both his overviews on FZ and Madoka without punching the screen or ripping out your hair.
seems I'm not a real man then
brb going to go gay

Nov 6, 2015 7:01 AM

Sep 2014
Lollo36 said:
AzureDaora said:

You're not a real man if you don't watch both his overviews on FZ and Madoka without punching the screen or ripping out your hair.

Don't take it too seriously. I watch his videos and laugh at the pathetic criticisms.
Nov 6, 2015 7:03 AM

Feb 2010
idk, maybe a bit, but I don't really care either way.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 6, 2015 7:04 AM
Oct 2013
mayukachan said:
Hrybami said:
The only anime in the top 100 that is not overrated is Shinsekai yori.
That, and Haikyu, Ping Pong, Shigatsu, Wolf Children, Space Brothers, Major, Nana, Usagi Drop, Chihayafuru, Nodame, Sakamichi, Barakamon, Baccano...

haikyu is fucking horse shit, it's disgusting as fuck, i want to beat up the author, if you play volley you'll understand my anger.
the characters looks like they have a fucking down syndrome
Nov 6, 2015 7:06 AM

Feb 2010
marlonnoti said:
mayukachan said:
That, and Haikyu, Ping Pong, Shigatsu, Wolf Children, Space Brothers, Major, Nana, Usagi Drop, Chihayafuru, Nodame, Sakamichi, Barakamon, Baccano...

haikyu is fucking horse shit, it's disgusting as fuck, i want to beat up the author, if you play volley you'll understand my anger.

Pass me the salt please, you've had enough I believe.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 6, 2015 7:13 AM
Oct 2013
Sosunser said:
marlonnoti said:

Pass me the salt please, you've had enough I believe.

No salt here, only disgust
Nov 6, 2015 2:57 PM

Sep 2012
OneTrueEmiya said:

Thats my exact reaction for your image. Posting that shit again?
Nov 6, 2015 3:00 PM

Mar 2014
marlonnoti said:
mayukachan said:

Woah calm down

It's just Haikyuu not Tokyo Ghoul
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 6, 2015 3:01 PM

Mar 2015
the weekly overrated thread goes tooo.....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 6, 2015 3:02 PM

Aug 2013
Yeah definitely. Too much melodrama, crying , teenaged angst, deus ex machina ending.
Nov 6, 2015 5:31 PM
Jun 2015
marlonnoti said:
mayukachan said:

Shit taste.
Nov 6, 2015 5:32 PM

Jul 2012
marlonnoti said:
mayukachan said:

i play volleyball...

i dont understand ur anger....
Nov 6, 2015 5:36 PM

Nov 2013
mayukachan said:
marlonnoti said:

i play volleyball...

i dont understand ur anger....

lmao for real.
The only difference is the added inner monologue and drama. I mean without those what's the point of the anime/manga, might as well watch a real volleyball match.
Nov 6, 2015 6:16 PM
Jun 2015
jal90 said:

I think its overrated on the basis on when you compare it to other shows of the genre. The pacing in Madoka Magica is awful and other magical girl shows can execute the character interactions, development, themes, etc. better than madoka magica. This being the fault of the developers shorter runtime in comparison to better magical girl shows doesn't mean Madoka Magica should be considered better or worthy of its praise.
Nov 6, 2015 6:37 PM

Dec 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
Yeah definitely. Too much melodrama, crying , teenaged angst, deus ex machina ending.
I wish people knew what deus ex machina meant.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1541 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.