Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 1, 2015 7:25 PM

Oct 2013
I just completed this anime, and IMO it has become one of my all time favorite anime. Just was looking through my plan to watch list to find some anime to watch since this season has been pretty average for me, and I came across this hidden gem by share luck. Oddly I've never seen anyone recommend this anime, like how you see people constantly recommending series like Eva, monster, shinseki yori ect. It seems this is one of those hidden gems that has long since been forgotten.

Enough of my talking. what do you guys think of this series? Ofcourse I'm not expecting everyone to have the same opinion as mine. Also seeing as how only 35k people have completed this series its pretty unpopular. So I would recommend folks to give it a shot.
Nov 1, 2015 7:27 PM
Nov 1, 2015 7:29 PM

Aug 2013
God tier masterpiece and vastly superior to Monster and Death Note. Count> Johan> Light.

keragamming said:
Oddly I've never seen anyone recommend this anime, like how you see people constantly recommending series like Eva, monster, shinseki yori ect.
I have recommended it billions of times.
Nov 1, 2015 7:30 PM

May 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
God tier masterpiece and vastly superior to Monster and Death Note. Count> Johan> Light.

Better than Death Note? Yes. Better than monster? No.
Nov 1, 2015 7:31 PM

Oct 2014
DrGeroCreation said:

i do not have to see to anime to know there is no way the ount can be better than johan
the guy is the best anime villian by far
Nov 1, 2015 7:32 PM

Aug 2013
PoeticJustice said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Monster is too dragged out and the Count is a better more human antagonist than Johan.

gabrielrroiz said:
there is no way the ount can be better than johan
No....
Nov 1, 2015 7:34 PM

Jun 2012
Oh, you know better.
Nov 1, 2015 7:34 PM

May 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
PoeticJustice said:

Monster is too dragged out and the Count is a better more human antagonist than Johan.

Monster does have a few pacing issues, but as an overall product Monster is better.

Lol what? The count is more of an anti-hero than an antagonist and that comparison doesn't make sense. Johan is the, "Monster," of the story.
Nov 1, 2015 7:35 PM

Oct 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
PoeticJustice said:

gabrielrroiz said:
there is no way the ount can be better than johan
No....

the theme of the show is by how humans can lost any kind of their humanity according to their circustances and in all humans hearts there are monster inside johan shows by his history that theme perfectly and his character study is fascinating that is why he is the better villain in anime
Nov 1, 2015 7:38 PM

Feb 2010
ONLY 35k

the fucking definition of unpopular these days is hilarious as shit. Not being as popular as Death Note or Attack on Titan = UNPOPULAR. Get out of here.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 1, 2015 7:39 PM

Jul 2012
I started off loving it but then it just got worse when they slowly revealed the story more and more.

And it's not unpopular on MAL...
Nov 1, 2015 7:40 PM

Sep 2014
gabrielrroiz said:
DrGeroCreation said:

No....

the theme of the show is by how humans can lost any kind of their humanity according to their circustances and in all humans hearts there are monster inside johan shows by his history that theme perfectly and his character study is fascinating that is why he is the better villain in anime

I don't want to mind you with your opinion, but if you think that Johan is the best villain, then you must watch Shinsekai yori right away.
Nov 1, 2015 7:40 PM

Aug 2013
PoeticJustice said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Monster does have a few pacing issues, but as an overall product Monster is better.

Lol what? The count is more of an anti-hero than an antagonist and that comparison doesn't make sense. Johan is the, "Monster," of the story.
For me Gankutsuou was the better overall anime because of the pacing, art, antagonist, soundtrack. The Count is an anti villain but also the primary antagonist of the anime. I know that he is supposed to be the "Monster" of the story but he was too over the top as a villain in that type of story. It's like he had hypnotic powers or something.

gabrielrroiz said:

It was the same for the Count. Circumstances drove him to lose his humanity.
Nov 1, 2015 7:41 PM

Oct 2013
hoopla123 said:
People probably drop it after seeing the art.

It was a good series.

I was pretty cool with the art, but the sparkle looking clothes were a bit distracting, I got use to it eventually though.

@DrGeroCreation damn... I guess I was unlucky then. XD

@PoeticJustice I put this series above monster and death note. Monster was too drag out and the pacing was really slow at times.

Kinda funny how this has turn into a monster vs gankutsuou debate, or to be exact Johan vs the count. Lol I guess it can't be helped.

@Sosunser 35k is pretty low. Shinseki yori is considered unpopular and only 81k people have completed it. Anyhow no need to get upset, your view one something being popular is obviously different than mine. And no I wasn't expecting the series to have a lot of members like snk or death note. By your logic the majority of anime is popular.
keragammingNov 1, 2015 7:51 PM
Nov 1, 2015 7:41 PM

Oct 2014
Hrybami said:
gabrielrroiz said:

I don't want to mind you with your opinion, but if you think that Johan is the best villain, then you must watch Shinsekai yori right away.

I will it seems awesome
Nov 2, 2015 1:23 AM

Feb 2015
Count does beat on both Light & Lelouch in terms of actual planning and execution also has strongest reason/backstory to act that way all 3 are great characters tho.

As a series Gankutsou had fantastic atmosfere, story was very carefully revealed didnt felt rushed or too slow overall, main character that was just plain awesome in everything from his story, way of speech manipulation, twists, art was unique and gave that supernatural mystic vibe while still being somehwat realistic. Releations between characters were strong and done in way that doesnt limits viewer into choosing what is right and what is wrong etc it was not black & white story about social family drama nor blind revenge story with tragic romance there was reasons for everything i never felt that show used some character as mere plot device well except pepo that is. It showed quite a lot about stuck up bitches in higher class of society and how truly you cant achieve much so fast without crushing aloot of bodies in process.

Cons
Aloot of weak side characters and their stories do cut aloot of time for thriller parts basically if count was not on screen show loses its amp to power up, dragged passing at times, to much not nessesary melodrama in middle parts, pathetic second mc (albeit realistic enough) not so great cgi that felt weird.
Ending was cheap but on plus side still epic.
ExowaveNov 2, 2015 1:27 AM
Nov 2, 2015 1:27 AM

Feb 2010
keragamming said:

@Sosunser 35k is pretty low. Shinseki yori is considered unpopular and only 81k people have completed it. Anyhow no need to get upset, your view one something being popular is obviously different than mine. And no I wasn't expecting the series to have a lot of members like snk or death note. By your logic the majority of anime is popular.

No, my logic just says that not being popular is not the same as being unpopular because with your logic 95% of all anime would be unpopular. Shows like Gankutsuou or SSY are just fairly well-known even if they're not spectacularly popular. Unpopular to me is something that most anime watchers haven't heard of, but well.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 2, 2015 1:28 AM

Apr 2012
Only finished like 2 episodes. I love the abstract art. Didn't drop it or anything just never got into the mood of watching it. Might have to pick it back up soon.

Nov 2, 2015 2:12 AM

Jul 2015
On my Plan to Watch. it's popular, I don't know why you'd think otherwise...
I tend to pick show with a unique art style these days. Kemonozume, Kaiba, Gankutsuou, Ping Pong, that kind of shit.
Nov 2, 2015 8:02 AM

Nov 2013
Getting stucked at episode 5. The art was fine but didn't click enough with the theme. Will watch it again eventually.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Nov 2, 2015 11:13 AM

Nov 2013
It's really good stuff. I re-watched it a couple months ago, it was still very enjoyable.

The OST is amazing tbh.
Nov 2, 2015 11:50 AM

Mar 2015
Count is definitely a better antagonist than Johan but I won't comment on light because unlike the count, he was the protagonist.
And the mystery aspect is exceptional. But Gankutsuou has an unremarkable supporting cast, a pussy ass protagonist and one of the worst endings I've ever seen.
Nov 2, 2015 12:59 PM

Oct 2015
The book was better.
Nov 2, 2015 6:57 PM

Apr 2013
FlatEight said:
The book was better.

^this.

though adaptions should be able to shine on their own, it killed a lot of its potential by ignoring some of the key themes of the book as well as butchering great characters.

i didn't really like the transition of the main characters either. the count makes a much more interesting "protagonist" in the book than albert in the anime. albert is just too stereotypical of a "troubled young man with a good heart".

but my opinion may be different had i watched the anime before i read the book :^)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

173 by stationry »»
Apr 19, 9:36 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.