Forum Settings
Forums

Anime which can be dark, gritty and sad but ends with a really happy note

New
Oct 27, 2015 4:58 PM
May 2013
I've seen barely none like this so bash at me guys! Thanks in advance!
Oct 27, 2015 5:04 PM
Feb 2015
Mahou Shoujo Madoka
Shinsekai Yori
Kiseijuu
Kara no Kyoukai

If you want to know specifics on any of them, just ask. I'll be glad to help.
Oct 27, 2015 5:04 PM
Jun 2015
Berserk is everything except that happy note
Death Note is bittersweet
Code geass also
Soul Eater a little bit
Gungrave skip episode 1
Oct 27, 2015 5:08 PM
May 2013
I'll go for Kara no Kyoukai! It's on my list for a while, I just didn't know that it would fit in those characteristics, thanks guys!
Oct 27, 2015 11:29 PM

Jul 2014
+1 Shinsekai Yori. It's exactly what you're looking for. :)
Oct 28, 2015 1:26 AM

Oct 2013
Since you are looking for a "really happy note" in the ending, many of the recommendations already given don't exactly fit the mark. They are more "bittersweet" or "provides closure" than the "happily ever after" you are probably looking for.

Two shows with a lot of dark and sad themes but end really happily that come to mind are Kara no Kyoukai and Gosick.

These shows have genuinely happy ending, as opposed to bittersweet ones like many of the titles already recommended (i.e. Mahou Shoujo Madoka, Shinsekai Yori, Code Geass).
Oct 28, 2015 1:33 AM

Jun 2014
janinso said:
+1 Shinsekai Yori. It's exactly what you're looking for. :)
All credit goes to Sacred.
Oct 28, 2015 2:04 AM

Jul 2014
Another +1 for shinsekai yori.
Rainbow: Nisha rokubou no shichinin is pretty good too.
Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket.
Oct 28, 2015 3:30 AM
Sep 2014
I don't know really shows with a REALLY happy ending. But more of a bittersweet ending.
Sunday without god
Dangan ronpa
Black cat

That's what I could've think of Right now.
Oct 28, 2015 6:06 AM

May 2012
Noein
Oct 28, 2015 8:27 AM

Jan 2011
Now and Then, Here and There
Oct 28, 2015 8:36 AM

Feb 2013
+1 shinsekai yor
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Oct 28, 2015 10:07 AM

Aug 2015
-Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
-Shiki
-Zankyou no Terror
-Wolfs Rain
Oct 28, 2015 10:26 AM

Oct 2015
Gigified said:
I'll go for Kara no Kyoukai! It's on my list for a while, I just didn't know that it would fit in those characteristics, thanks guys!

Haha. :thumbsup: You are in for sth. extraordinary there. Hope you can enjoy it.
See you in two months. :p

(it really took me 7 weeks (!) to watch them all (not : Mirai Fukuin) - the first film had me so full with respect, I did not want to rush; let each one sink in. Also after the first one I was afraid that following ones possibly can not keep up to it. )

And yes, to me it fits your request of :
Gigified said:
dark, gritty and sad but ends with a really happy note

my advice on watching Kara no Kyoukai :
- better turn off your (cell)phone before starting any of the movies. Else ...

- This is stuff that really deserves to be watched as-HD-as-possible, big screen if possible. Scenery at times is incredibly gorgeous.
here is a non-spoilerish example - just an empty school hallway, and it does not even properly show how much the warm light is "glowing" in-anime in this scenery :

- if you can, watch it complete with the "cinema opening"s, these are adorable in their own right. If you do not have them, 4 or 5 are on youtube, but sadly not all. :(
http://myanimelist.net/anime/23697/Kara_no_Kyoukai:_Manner_Movies

- watch it not late-night when tired (nor drunk nor stoned), it is made to be enjoyed best with brains and attention at full capacity. Needs full fokus, no doing other things on the side.

- maybe not watch the epilogue - it tries to break everything down for those who feel need for more (clearer /simpler) answers. It does so by dumbing down things too much, and in some parts even contradicting what has been established in the 7 films. :(
but, again, the scenery is gorgeous. This snow.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Oct 28, 2015 10:37 AM

Jul 2015
Mirrai Nikki, then watch the OVA, which is the happy ver. of it
Stain;Gate, quite decent
Neon Genesis Evangelion, then End of Evangelion
Madoka and then Yuuki Yuuna
Oct 28, 2015 5:46 PM

Apr 2013
Onanie Master Kurosawa might float your boat.
Oct 28, 2015 5:55 PM

Jan 2015
+1 Neon Genesis Evangelion & End of Evangelion (it's more uplifting than downright happy though.)

Have fun with Kara no Kyoukai.
Oct 28, 2015 6:18 PM
Jun 2015
Partyu said:
+1 Neon Genesis Evangelion & End of Evangelion (it's more uplifting than downright happy though.)

Have fun with Kara no Kyoukai.

Did we watch the same show? Evangelion left me mad, and annoyed. Not because of the budget in the original, or the style of end of evangelion, but because of how it ended.
Oct 28, 2015 8:09 PM

Oct 2013
Forgot to mention. If you want to watch Kara no Kyoukai, it may be a good idea to watch in chronological order instead of airing/book order. Some have found that to be less confusing and more enjoyable.

Chronological order is: 2 > 4 > 3 > 1 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 8
Oct 28, 2015 8:28 PM
Jan 2013
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Shinsekai Yori
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Oct 29, 2015 5:29 PM

Oct 2015
Rinth said:
Forgot to mention. If you want to watch Kara no Kyoukai, it may be a good idea to watch in chronological order instead of airing/book order. Some have found that to be less confusing and more enjoyable.

Chronological order is: 2 > 4 > 3 > 1 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 8

Just NO!

For Buddha's sake, trust the author!, and take it the way it was meant to be taken.
(damn, how much I wish it would have run in cinemas here :( )

There is REASON to why they are in exactly that order they are in.
And this notion that less confusing equals more enjoyable is - well anyone who can't live with enigma or mystery (even if only for a while, things will explain themselves later on) then : maybe, though unlikely.
And only maybe, because - well, frankly, who can not grasp Kara no Kyoukai in its original order probably can not grasp it at all, no matter what order they watch the films.
And on the other hand for some (many/ most ?) of us, who have no problem with a saga going in in medias res and some details and background being treated only later, it would have lost quality by watching it in chronological order.

But all in all I think gigified will probably not read any more posts here for a while, for already being swallowed by that whale that is Kara no Kyoukai. :p

----------------------
@ everyone else : move on, nothing to see here. :D
BannoBunka_snorkOct 29, 2015 5:54 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*

More topics from this board

» Non-hentai anime with traumatizing rape?

stanklem28 - Feb 7, 2014

40 by Omega90 »»
54 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - Yesterday

26 by PostMahouShoujo »»
1 hour ago

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - Yesterday

6 by DMind »»
Today, 2:05 AM

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
Today, 1:02 AM

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

15 by r3v3l3v3l »»
Yesterday, 10:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.