Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 24, 2015 1:52 PM
Oct 2015
I think Fullmetal Alchemist should definetly get a movie trilogy ala Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and other epic movie trilogies, but I gues the hardest part would be choosing the ending for the first two movies and simplifying and condenscing the epic story. Here's my take.

FIRST MOVIE
I think the first movie should start with the Liore arc with flashbacks to explain the Elric brothers. There's plenty of amazing stories to be found in the first few episodes/volumes of the anime/manga. The Tucker family arc, while incredible, has to be skipped for the sake of brevity along with the arc that introduces Yoki, and a couple of others. I also think Scar should be intoduced later on, and similar to the way Brotherhood handled it, there should be more hints to how corrupt and evil the military really are. After showing that Father Cornello is a fraud, the movie should move on to the Labratory 5 arc with Dr. Marcoh, ending with Hughes death, and Ed ready to take on the Homunculus. The whole character of Izumi Curtis might also have to be scrapped. I also think the designs of the Elric brothers should be ripped right out of the anime similar to how superheroes are handled.

SECOND MOVIE
This might be a contreversial call, but the whole Xing and alchehestry thing might have to be scrapped. I love Greeling as much as the next guy, but alchehestry is never fully explained, and May Chang and her tiny panda is just weird. Or maybe it isn't scrapped, and the movie just goes straight to luring out the Homunculus and Scar with Ling. I would also like to see the military arriving at Liore, where chaos has broken out, and just slaughtering everyone. This would support the idea of the transmutation circle of disasters, and instead of Briggs being the last in the circle, Liore is. That would make it more significant to the story, and also show how corrupt the military is. The movie would end with the confrontation with Father, and the separation of Mustang's group. The movie should also skip Hohenheim's return to Resembol and Maria Ross's faked death to get straight to the good stuff.

THE PROMISED DAY
Another contreversial call, but the whole Briggs thing might also have to be skipped. Maybe Ed is reassigned to Briggs to separate him from Mustang. That's the only way I can see it pan out. Otherwise this one's pretty easy to adapt with some clear guidelines.

The biggest problem aside from gaining the right would have to be making the special effects look convincing. I don't think you can properly adapt Pride and Envy without making some major changes. Pride's shadow tendrils would either look really arthouse or just terrible, and it's kinda hard to cast a transgender teenager with skimpy clothes. The Homunculus would probably have to be intoduced in different ways than the manga.
Feb 9, 2016 12:28 PM
Apr 2015
I really don't want FMA to get a live-action movie. I think there would be too many things they couldn't do well in that format. And I think they would have to leave out a lot, especially since they would probably only get permission to make two because they wouldn't know how popular it would be.
Feb 9, 2016 12:39 PM

Mar 2014
I have said this before and I will say this again

NO ANIME SHOULD EVER RECEIVE A LIVE ACTION ADAPTATION

No matter how good the director's intentions are... he or she is just going to fuck up somewhere on the way.

Some manga have received okay adaptations (e.g. Seven Days) but most of them are very low budget and downright terrible.

FMA/B is a good example of an anime that would never work out as a live action movie, even if it was divided into multiple parts.

Therefore I have to say "No"
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 9, 2016 12:43 PM

Aug 2015
I strongly disagree... Live action adaptations of anime are never good.
Mar 4, 2016 12:33 PM
Dec 2015
Sorry but no you will need at least 5 movies to actually cover the story properly. You are just cutting off important parts that shouldnt be cut.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Yesterday, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Yesterday, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.