Forum Settings
Forums
Persona 3
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 15, 2015 6:52 AM
Sep 2015
I didnt know where to ask this question as I havent watched persona yet,

I want to know the chronological order of the persona 3 movies and the timeline between persona 3 , 4 and Trinity Soul, I didnt play the games because usually I watch the anime before playing it's games

Thanx :D
Dec 5, 2015 10:37 PM

Sep 2014
The chronological order are the Persona 3 movies, then Persona: Trinity Soul since its a sequel to Persona 3, and than Persona 4.

I would suggest playing the Persona 3 video games over watching the movie since they are not good adaptations. Several questions the first film bring up aren't answered until the second film. So if you want to know why, or what caused something in Persona 3 you either seek out the sequel in hope they'll answer something, or check supplementary materials. Another aspect that doesn't translate well are the characters. In the game, you get time to spend time with your teammates and learn about them. In the movies of Persona 3, characters are occasionally sidelined hurting it in the long run. It doesn't get across the group we follow in the film are good friends not just team members fighting for a single cause. Persona: Trinity I haven't seen, but do know for sure from those who have seen say its a sequel to Persona 3. So watch all four movies of Persona 3 despite their quality, then move onto Persona: Trinity, and finally Persona 4.

Watch the Lerche's adaptation of Persona 4 titled "Persona 4: The Animation" as its the better anime. There's another Persona 4 anime based on the re-release of Persona 4: Golden called "Persona 4: The Golden Animation". I suggest seeing Persona 4: The Animation since it adapts the games story really well, and anyone could get into it without having played the game. Persona 4: The Golden Animation on the other hand fails to tell a story, and leaves allot of things unanswered. I would say it's New Game Plus in anime form, but there's more slice-of-life moments that don't effect the story in it. So the actual story is rushed in the end in Persona 4: The Golden Animation. In terms of chronological order Persona 4: The Golden Animation happens in between some of the events of Persona 4: The Animation. Only see Persona 4: The animation since it tells the whole story much better.

As for the games they're pretty much standalone entries with references towards different Persona entries. You don't have play all of them to get the story since all are written to be self contained.

Hope that helps man.
Dec 16, 2015 11:32 AM
Sep 2015
Anime_Breakdown said:
The chronological order are the Persona 3 movies, then Persona: Trinity Soul since its a sequel to Persona 3, and than Persona 4.

I would suggest playing the Persona 3 video games over watching the movie since they are not good adaptations. Several questions the first film bring up aren't answered until the second film. So if you want to know why, or what caused something in Persona 3 you either seek out the sequel in hope they'll answer something, or check supplementary materials. Another aspect that doesn't translate well are the characters. In the game, you get time to spend time with your teammates and learn about them. In the movies of Persona 3, characters are occasionally sidelined hurting it in the long run. It doesn't get across the group we follow in the film are good friends not just team members fighting for a single cause. Persona: Trinity I haven't seen, but do know for sure from those who have seen say its a sequel to Persona 3. So watch all four movies of Persona 3 despite their quality, then move onto Persona: Trinity, and finally Persona 4.

Watch the Lerche's adaptation of Persona 4 titled "Persona 4: The Animation" as its the better anime. There's another Persona 4 anime based on the re-release of Persona 4: Golden called "Persona 4: The Golden Animation". I suggest seeing Persona 4: The Animation since it adapts the games story really well, and anyone could get into it without having played the game. Persona 4: The Golden Animation on the other hand fails to tell a story, and leaves allot of things unanswered. I would say it's New Game Plus in anime form, but there's more slice-of-life moments that don't effect the story in it. So the actual story is rushed in the end in Persona 4: The Golden Animation. In terms of chronological order Persona 4: The Golden Animation happens in between some of the events of Persona 4: The Animation. Only see Persona 4: The animation since it tells the whole story much better.

As for the games they're pretty much standalone entries with references towards different Persona entries. You don't have play all of them to get the story since all are written to be self contained.

Hope that helps man.

I was looking for this answer almost everywhere that I eventually gave up. I am sorry I noticed your reply late ( didn't look at the notification in my email). Anyways Thanx Alot :D
Apr 10, 2017 12:22 AM
Oct 2013
Chronologically, the flow of the entire series in the Persona universe goes like this:

Persona 1 (1996)
Persona 2 Eternal Punishment (2000)
Persona 3 (2009-2010)
Persona Q Shadow of the Labyrinth: P3 Route (during the "mrots" in Persona 3)
Persona 3 The Answer (2010, direct sequel of Persona 3 shortly after its ending)
Persona 4 (2011-2012)
Persona Q Shadow of the Labyrinth: P4 Route (right after the "lavitsef erutluc" in Persona 4)
Persona 4 Arena (2012)
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (2012, 2 months after Persona 4 and few days after Arena)
Persona 4 Golden Epilogue (2012)
Persona 4 Dancing All Night (2012)
Persona Trinity Soul (2019-2020, 10 years after Persona 3)

The entire Persona 3 The Movie (from 1 to 4) covers Persona 3 (game).
Persona 4: The Animation covers Persona 4 (game).
Persona 4: No One Is Alone covers the True Ending of Persona 4 (so watch it after Persona 4 The Animation)
Persona 4: The Golden Animation covers the Social Links (in short, interaction with supporting characters) that wasn't included in P4 The Animation (so watch this after No One Is Alone)

As per the order of watching the animations, you can pick whichever way you want since P3, P4 and Trinity Soul all have individual stories. Aside from minor details connecting them to each other in one timeline, they pretty much have independent stories.

And yes, they are all canon except Trinity Soul. One of the main characters from Persona 3 has a cameo in it but that's about it. Due to some conflict on facts established in Arena, it isn't treated as canon.
ExplodingGirlApr 10, 2017 12:42 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » YOUR ideal MC pairing

SophiafrmAustria - Oct 23, 2013

23 by inebriated »»
Feb 27, 2:06 AM

Poll: » Persona 3 the Movie 1: Spring of Birth Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sebastian333 - Jan 30, 2014

132 by Ashhk »»
Oct 26, 2023 1:36 AM

» Would someone who hasn't played P3 like these?

PyonPyonPierrot - Aug 21, 2020

7 by ishowhatred »»
Feb 10, 2022 12:05 AM

» Should this be watched first in Persona genre?

Tarable - Apr 14, 2018

2 by removed-user »»
Apr 14, 2019 11:53 AM

» Persona anime order to watch

luisdwt - Mar 5, 2017

3 by Brandon »»
Mar 6, 2017 3:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.