Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 12, 2015 3:19 PM

Jan 2014
Hypothetically speaking, if you are getting married, would you take your spouse's name?

Bonus question: Do you have a preference as to the sex of your hypothetical first child?
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Oct 12, 2015 3:30 PM
May 2015
if they have a cool last name, like "destroyer" or something, I'd definitely change my name.
Oct 12, 2015 3:34 PM

Jul 2012
I want to take it depending on if I like how their last name sounds with mine lol

Don't have a preference for first born
Oct 12, 2015 3:40 PM

Mar 2013
I don't want to get married but I'd like it if my firstborn was a boy, I'd get way too paranoid if I had a daughter especially in this day and age.
Oct 12, 2015 3:42 PM

Mar 2008
I would like it to where we both keep our names, or hyphenate them, or create some new name, or both swap names.
Oct 12, 2015 3:43 PM

Jul 2014
I'll keep my name and let her decide what to do with hers. I'd like to only have sons because I know absolutely nothing about raising a daughter.
Oct 12, 2015 3:46 PM

Feb 2014
did u just knock someone up OP?

I really like my surname so I'm keeping it, spouse can do whatever they like. Couldn't care less about firstborn gender.
Oct 12, 2015 3:53 PM
Oct 2014
No. I wouldn't. It's not because of gender though, usually I would be more willing to compromise in such matters. But in this case, my family name has importance to us and it is used in our business and so on.
She can keep her name though if she wants to.

Girl. There would be a great risk that I would turn into my own father if I had a son. Also, I think that a girl will have a greater chance to secure the lineage. It's almost 300 years ago since we had a female head, perhaps it's about time again.

Oct 12, 2015 3:55 PM

Jul 2015
I'd keep mine. It's like, an essential part of my identity. How could I change that?
Bonus question: I strongly dislike kids. No children for me.
Oct 12, 2015 3:59 PM
Sep 2013
I'd like to keep my last name, and as for the child it doesn't really matter to me.
Oct 12, 2015 4:00 PM

Nov 2009
Never plan to get married, but if I did I would keep my last name, it is my favorite color and works really well with my first name . . . As for my hypothetical spouse, wouldn't care. As a side note, assuming in this hypothetical scenario we had kids, I also wouldn't care what name the children took.

As for firstborn, I wouldn't really care. But don't plan on ever having kids either, so also somewhat of a moot point.
Oct 12, 2015 4:01 PM

Oct 2012
Prefer if me + partner keeps our names, but my child's gotta take my own.

It'll be odd if my child doesn't.

Also I prefer to have multiple kids. Ideally I'd like a girl first, then a boy, and maybe a girl afterwards.
Oct 12, 2015 4:15 PM

Jan 2014
I would love to see how long the hyphenated names get a century or two down the road, especially when they marry each other.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 12, 2015 4:24 PM

Jun 2011
I'll let her decide whether she wants to keep it or not, assuming I ever get married. We could even hyphenate them if the combination sounds cool enough!

Oct 12, 2015 4:31 PM

Jun 2015
No, I would hope she would take my last name.

Son, then maybe a girl. So the boy can protect her.
Oct 12, 2015 5:24 PM

Aug 2009
Not getting married and I'm sure as hell not changing my name or letting anyone take mine's.

If I have a kid I'd give them a new last name, I don't want them to have mine or their mother's.
LoneWolfOct 12, 2015 5:28 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 12, 2015 5:28 PM

May 2015
I would change my name to my spouse's. I've suffered so much humiliation in school because of my name...

And I'm an ugly person, so if I'm going to have a kid, it would rather be a boy.
Oct 12, 2015 5:31 PM
Jul 2018
If you are getting married, would you take your spouse's name?

I'm staying with mine. I'll be happy if she wants to take my last name but it's not necessary either.

Bonus question: Do you have a preference as to the sex of your hypothetical first child?

Girl.
Oct 12, 2015 5:36 PM
Jul 2015
DisdainMatto said:
Hypothetically speaking, if you are getting married, would you take your spouse's name?
Sure, if they wanted me to

Girl
Oct 12, 2015 11:31 PM

Nov 2012
I'll keep my own surname, and maybe add his to mine. He can do whatever he wants with his, not my choice to make.

I don't care about the gender. I would like to have both :P. I would also like to give one of my children my own surname, because as it is, our branch of family will 'die out' with my sister and me.
Celestial_Oct 13, 2015 12:01 AM
Come here and play with my darkness
Oct 12, 2015 11:43 PM

Mar 2014
Hmmmm, I wouldn't mind taking my wife's last name if it went well with my name.

Either boy or girl for a firstborn would do. Preferably girl first then a guy if we have a second.
Oct 12, 2015 11:43 PM

Jan 2015
I have a short, easy to pronounce and uncommon last name. I would want my wife to take my name. Mostly for legal purposes. Since I assume it would be easier to deal with papers and shit when we all have the same name.

As for a child I don't think I want one. But if I do get a kid I want a girl.
Oct 12, 2015 11:57 PM

Jun 2008
Marriage?

Oh....that ancient traditional ritual where men become slaves to women and lose everything they once loved for the sake of getting sex once a month and on your birthday if you're lucky!
Oct 13, 2015 12:10 AM

Mar 2014
JustALEX said:
Marriage?

Oh....that ancient traditional ritual where men become slaves to women and lose everything they once loved for the sake of getting sex once a month and on your birthday if you're lucky!

No, that kind of marriage is a latest invention. The 'ancient traditional ritual' used to be a noble unison of a man and a woman. Case in point: The Confucian societies.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Oct 13, 2015 12:16 AM

Oct 2014
My mom kept her last name. Some people who know my mom will act as if it's my last name too. There are also people who have thought that my parents weren't married because of the difference in last names. I'm a guy and I'm keeping my last name. I don't really care if my wife would change her last name or not. I have a pretty boring last name (Smith) so it might be a bit more interesting if she kept her name.

I would prefer a girl.
Oct 13, 2015 12:28 AM

Jul 2012
JustALEX said:
Marriage?

Or the opposite, where the female has to give up her career and become a housewife for the rest of her life.
Oct 13, 2015 12:37 AM

Mar 2014
mayukachan said:
JustALEX said:
Marriage?

Or the opposite, where the female has to give up her career and become a housewife for the rest of her life.

That too is a modern invention.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Oct 13, 2015 12:38 AM

Jun 2008
mayukachan said:
JustALEX said:
Marriage?

Oh noes....not having to work and sleeping in and whatnot...the horror!

Aug 2009
I'm a man, so I would keep my last name per tradition, especially since my family name has a long history of nobles and it's significant in terms of our summer house and other estates. She can do whatever she wants and our child can use both last names if she wants.

Jul 2012
JustALEX said:
mayukachan said:

Funny. Taking care of the family and doing all the housework isn't as easy as you'd think.
Oct 13, 2015 12:39 AM

Oct 2014
mayukachan said:
JustALEX said:
Marriage?

I think that was the joke. Before feminism and women's rights all women were legally their husband's property and any money they earned belonged to their husband. When the government decided to allow women to vote some people protested by saying "if we let women vote then eventually we'll be letting black people vote and then letting dogs vote". The "women become slaves" thing is a very accurate description as women were destined to be their husband slave. Thankfully we are more equal now, although there still are a few jobs (not many) who pay women less for the same work. Women and black people are now considered "persons" under the law.
Oct 13, 2015 12:40 AM

Jul 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
mayukachan said:
I think that was the joke. Before feminism and women's rights all women were legally their husband's property and any money they earned belonged to their husband. When the government decided to allow women to vote some people protested by saying "if we let women vote then eventually we'll be letting black people vote and then letting dogs vote". The "women become slaves" thing is a very accurate description as women were destined to be their husband slave. Thankfully we are more equal now, although there still are a few jobs (not many) who pay women less for the same work. Women and black people are now considered "persons" under the law.
I don't think he was joking.
Oct 13, 2015 12:40 AM

Jan 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
mayukachan said:
Can we please not turn this into one of those threads.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Oct 13, 2015 12:50 AM

Jun 2008
mayukachan said:
JustALEX said:

Funny. Taking care of the family and doing all the housework isn't as easy as you'd think.

All jokes aside.....marriage has little advantages for men....at least IMO.

Divorces favor women very heavily and God forbid you have kids in the marriage because then (men) you're screwed.

I think being monogamous is great....but you don't need a ring and a piece of paper to make it better....more times than not....literally since divorce rates are higher than 50%....it makes things worse.
Oct 13, 2015 12:52 AM

Jan 2014
JustALEX said:
mayukachan said:

All jokes aside.....marriage has little advantages for men....at least IMO.

Divorces favor women very heavily and God forbid you have kids in the marriage because then (men) you're screwed.

I think being monogamous is great....but you don't need a ring and a piece of paper to make it better....more times than not....literally since divorce rates are higher than 50%....it makes things worse.
I bet that if you looked at the percentage that the divorce rate has climbed in the past 50 years and the rate at which people have gotten married in the past 50 years, they will line up. A lot of people jump into getting married before they are ready.
I love Christine

Oct 13, 2015 12:57 AM

Jun 2008
^yes, I believe that as well.

And I think there are societal pressures on men to get married.

Remember, it is men who propose, not the other way around.

And many times they are given an ultimatum by their partners or the relationship is off....not surprisingly, it's those marriages that don't last.
Oct 13, 2015 12:59 AM

Jan 2014
JustALEX said:
^yes, I believe that as well.
And I think there are societal pressures on men to get married.
Remember, it is men who propose, not the other way around.
And many times they are given an ultimatum by their partners or the relationship is off....not surprisingly, it's those marriages that don't last.
And this is why I'll get married when I'm damn well ready, fuck societal pressure and clearly any woman trying for force a man into marriage doesn't deserve to be married. Marriage is a wonderful this that has be desecrated by morons who don't understand true commitment.
I love Christine

Oct 13, 2015 1:00 AM

Apr 2012
My parents would kill me if i didn't retain my last name. Though I don't think i really care. Be cool to at least have my last name somewhere referenced (like middle initial or name).

Oct 13, 2015 7:56 AM

Oct 2010
My partner plans to take my last name because he likes mine more than his.

As for first born, I'm hoping for a daughter.
I would like to either have one boy and one girl or two girls for children.
Oct 13, 2015 7:59 AM

Apr 2013
Partner can keep her name if she wants, don't really care. But kids take my last name.

First born preference would be a son. Would like to have 2-3 kids.
Oct 13, 2015 8:01 AM

Apr 2015
Hey guys, I got a great idea: How about we keep it the same !!
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Oct 13, 2015 9:33 AM

Feb 2010

I like my last name, so I'd like to keep it.

Do you have a preference as to the sex of your hypothetical first child?

I would prefer to have a son first and then a girl.
My heart is nowhere to be found... buried six feet underground
Oct 13, 2015 9:44 AM

Aug 2013
I will take my girlfriend's last name, cause she's technically my cousin descended from parents whose lineage status is a bit higher than my mum and dad's combined (i blame my late granddad for this). In my strict conservative society where people tend to be rated according to their "blood", the lower one needs to bow down to the higher one even if they're close relatives. It's only limited to marriage, heritage, and child adoptions though.
Oct 13, 2015 9:54 AM

Aug 2011
If my new name ends up sounding something ridiculous then I will not change it.

Firstborn, I dunno, probably a girl. Little boys are more whiny and obnoxious, imo.
死ねカス国に帰れ
Oct 13, 2015 10:00 AM

Feb 2013
I will take my fiance's name. Though it will sound weird since he's Korean. It's okay nonetheless since we named our first child under a Korean name and will probably be the same with the next ones.

Oct 13, 2015 11:27 AM
Aug 2013
I'm not decided. I like it when married couple share the same last name... It'll be hard to abandon my own name cause I like it and if I'll marry my current boyfriend I'll have (I don't want to say ugly but it's really not a pretty name).. Maybe he'll be willing to change his name in the future :D

I don't care about my first child's sex... as long as it'll be healthy I'll be happy.
Oct 13, 2015 11:40 AM

Nov 2013
Keep my name. I enjoy it and sounds good with my first name.

As for first child, a daughter.
Oct 13, 2015 11:42 AM

Jan 2015
Well I'd never get married to begin with, but answering the hypothetical: depends on the name. I wouldn't rule it out on principle. Also a boy, if I ever had kids, which I won't.

More topics from this board

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 22

9 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

97 by Ex-Aid »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

669 by Hitagi__Furude »»
3 hours ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

41 by ShimmyShimmur »»
4 hours ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

14 by R-unknown »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.