Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 12, 2015 8:08 AM
Jul 2015
I watched the original and I want to watch brotherhood but don't know where to start as I don't want to waqtch the same content
I like meat.
Oct 12, 2015 8:11 AM

Jul 2013
From the beginning because they don't start the same way but FMA:B rushes through the first episodes anyway.
Oct 12, 2015 8:13 AM

Dec 2014
Oct 12, 2015 8:14 AM

Apr 2011
Yeah watch all of it. I was thinking the same thing when I started it, but it's worth watching everything.
Oct 12, 2015 8:16 AM
Dec 2013
Episode 13, since episodes 2-12 were adapted before in the original version.
Oct 12, 2015 8:18 AM

Aug 2015
From the start ^^
Oct 12, 2015 8:18 AM

Jun 2015
Start from the beginning. Even though they cover the same material at the start, there are many differences. For example, Marcoh survives in Brotherhood and Tucker doesn't become a chimera.
Oct 12, 2015 8:19 AM

May 2015
FMAB rushes through episodes 1-12, but I wouldn't recommend watching theme considering most of the stuff was adapated poorly(It's good that you know the events of the Nina, Hughes, and Youswell arc beforehand.)

You can start at 13.

EDIT: Actually, you should probably watch some of the arcs. Just don't watch episode 1, it spoils things for a villain that you'd already know, but it's just to introduce all the characters.

Watch the Nina arc if you really want to see what happens to Tucker since he doesn't become a Chimera, watch the Marcoh arc because Marcoh lives.

Other then that, skip the rest.
-Rainy-Oct 12, 2015 8:23 AM
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Oct 12, 2015 8:39 AM

Feb 2015
You shouldn't have wasted your time with the original series.

When starting Brotherhood, start with the first episode.
Oct 12, 2015 8:40 AM

Feb 2015
RainyRai said:
FMAB rushes through episodes 1-12, but I wouldn't recommend watching theme considering most of the stuff was adapated poorly(It's good that you know the events of the Nina, Hughes, and Youswell arc beforehand.)

You can start at 13.

EDIT: Actually, you should probably watch some of the arcs. Just don't watch episode 1, it spoils things for a villain that you'd already know, but it's just to introduce all the characters.

Watch the Nina arc if you really want to see what happens to Tucker since he doesn't become a Chimera, watch the Marcoh arc because Marcoh lives.

Other then that, skip the rest.

Please ignore this fool.

Episodes 2-12 are pretty much the same thing but with slight differences. Either way it's still worth watching in my opinion to kind of set up the feel for the series you are about to watch. It rushes through them anyway, and 12 episodes aren't that big of a deal.
Talidin1337Oct 12, 2015 8:44 AM
Oct 12, 2015 8:41 AM

Jun 2009
Talidin1337 said:

The first part of this post is pure BS, the second part I can agree with.
Oct 12, 2015 8:43 AM

Jul 2011
Episode 1, it's filler but it foreshadows stuff

The stuff that was adapted in the first anime was different in it and more rushed in Brotherhood.
PralandOct 12, 2015 8:46 AM
Oct 12, 2015 8:49 AM

Feb 2015
grandy_UiD said:
Talidin1337 said:

How is that BS? The original series was bad, and the important details within it are covered in flashbacks within Brotherhood. If you want to be honest with yourself, there is no reason to watch the original Fullmetal Alchemist, and from what I've heard, it actually makes the quality of the series lower. Those who only watch Brotherhood have a better experience, because watching a masterpiece is better than watching over 100 episodes of relatively crappy filler leading up to a masterpiece.
Oct 12, 2015 8:58 AM

Sep 2014
Talidin1337 said:
grandy_UiD said:

How is that BS? The original series was bad, and the important details within it are covered in flashbacks within Brotherhood. If you want to be honest with yourself, there is no reason to watch the original Fullmetal Alchemist, and from what I've heard, it actually makes the quality of the series lower. Those who only watch Brotherhood have a better experience, because watching a masterpiece is better than watching over 100 episodes of relatively crappy filler leading up to a masterpiece.

You shouldn't speak if you haven't watched it yourself.

There are more than enough people who prever 2003 over Brotherhood, so I wouldn't go and make such statements without experiencing it.
Oct 12, 2015 9:00 AM
May 2009
If you had seen FMA before.
you could start FMAB from 13.
But you should start with Episode 1. Since its basically an episode that isn't in the original.
shintai88Oct 13, 2015 3:26 AM
Oct 12, 2015 9:01 AM

Jan 2011
As said you could start from 13.

Just make sure to skip episode 1, not sure what it is there for.
ShiroiMufflerOct 12, 2015 9:10 AM
Oct 12, 2015 9:02 AM

Apr 2015
Start from episode 1.

Talidin1337 said:

Yes, you should.
Oct 12, 2015 9:04 AM

Oct 2014
Talidin1337 said:

That's good to know. Some people have told me to watch the first series as well, but 115 episodes is a tall order being longer than any anime I've ever completed.
Oct 12, 2015 9:09 AM

Jan 2011
Talidin1337 said:
grandy_UiD said:

Are you delusional? There are 50 episodes in FMA, where most of it is not filler. This makes me think you haven't even watched it. The bandwagon/circlejerk, whatever you call. Also, the beginning is unrivaled for it's completeness and character development (FMAB rushed it ofcourse) and the filler is only at the end. Don't force your subjective opinion onto other people, giving your perspective is fine. No disrespect but you have SAO as one of your favorite anime, not sure what that tells about you.

For those who are planning to skip the original, just a note, it is a completely different anime in style, and the story diverges at the end into its own thing, I would not call it simply a filler because there was a definitely thought put into it. Watch both, don't compare, they are vastly different.
Oct 12, 2015 9:19 AM

Oct 2014
ShiroiMuffler said:
For those who are planning to skip the original, just a note, it is a completely different anime in style, and the story diverges at the end into its own thing, I would not call it simply a filler because there was a definitely thought put into it. Watch both, don't compare, they are vastly different.
If it makes you feel any better, I could avoid FMA03 as a separate series. I also don't plan to watch Soul Eater which is the same length. I am avoiding them for the same reasons and only plan to watch FMAB and HxH11 because they are highly regarded. No one says that you should watch the original HxH before 2011 even though it has a higher rating than FMA03.
Oct 12, 2015 9:22 AM

Jan 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
ShiroiMuffler said:
If it makes you feel any better, I could avoid FMA03 as a separate series. I also don't plan to watch Soul Eater which is the same length. I am avoiding them for the same reasons and only plan to watch FMAB and HxH11 because they are highly regarded. No one says that you should watch the original HxH before 2011 even though it has a higher rating than FMA03.

But that's exactly I'm arguing against, I haven't watched the original HxH but the 2011 is said to be strictly an improved version of it. This is not the case FMA 2003 vs FMAB.
Oct 12, 2015 9:31 AM

Oct 2014
ShiroiMuffler said:
zombie_pegasus said:

But that's exactly I'm arguing against, I haven't watched the original HxH but the 2011 is said to be strictly an improved version of it. This is not the case FMA 2003 vs FMAB.
Why not just treat them as different anime then? People shouldn't avoid FMA just because they want to watch FMAB and you shouldn't force people to watch FMA just because they want to watch FMAB.
Oct 12, 2015 9:43 AM

Jan 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
ShiroiMuffler said:

Why not just treat them as different anime then? People shouldn't avoid FMA just because they want to watch FMAB and you shouldn't force people to watch FMA just because they want to watch FMAB.

I'm not forcing ppl to watch FMA 2003, reread what I said, I'm simply recommending to watch the original and not to compare it to FMAB so much, whereas many ppl nowadays that try to restrict newcomers into only watching FMAB, it's getting out of hands.
Oct 13, 2015 2:13 AM

Jun 2009
Talidin1337 said:
grandy_UiD said:

I'm confused. Have you actually seen the 2003 version or not? On one hand you say "It was bad" implying you've seen it but then you say "from what I've heard" which suggests you have not.

If you have seen it then that is your valid opinion although most People would disagree with you about the show being bad.

If you haven't seen it then you're pretty much just full of shit.

As for reasons to watch the 2003 version: it's a completely different show from Brotherhood and and great on its own.
Oct 13, 2015 2:23 AM

Mar 2012
Yeah, the first 13 episodes or so kind of suck but you can't just skip them altogether even if you have seen 2003.
Oct 13, 2015 2:59 AM

Apr 2014
Lol, episode 1.
Oct 13, 2015 3:51 AM

Feb 2013
You have to watch it from the beginning. Brotherhood does have enough key differences early on to make the 1st episodes requisite viewing

Talidin1337 said:
grandy_UiD said:

I don't see how anyone's opinion of the 2003 anime is relevant here but since you did well.... Besides over a hundred episodes of crappy filler in a show with only 51 total? Yes it does make the experience of watching Brotherhood a bit worse since you'll realize that the 1st cour is just a pale and rushed imitation to the parts of the original that did cover the manga (somewhat loosely but still)
Oct 13, 2015 5:48 AM

Jul 2012
Episode 1.

I don't think it's wise to watch it any other way.
Oct 15, 2015 8:32 AM

Jan 2013
Thread Moved
Oct 24, 2015 6:38 AM

May 2015
Talidin1337 said:

Talidin1337 said:
grandy_UiD said:

>there's no reason to watch the original because it makes brotherhood worse
>but they are different anime
>they have a better experince becuase B is a masterpiece and 2003 is shit

Let me fix some things.

1. 2003 is better then Brotherhood

2. The manga is better then both

3. Brotherhood would be terrible if the manga plot-line didn't carry it all the way hard.

4. Pretty much every episode of 03 except a handful were all contributing to the story. Sure there were some filler, but that isn't enough to be called "100 episodes of crappy filler". Divide that by 10, and even then, those filler episodes weren't actually bad.

5. Brotherhood fucks up the beginning by rushing through it. The Nin arc and Hughes arc were shit compared to 03, the Blackgold arc was the canon intro to Mustang, and since they cut that entire arc out, they had to make an anime original first episode introducing all the characters.

Even then, 2003 and Brotherhood are just shows that are paced, written, and executed differently.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.