Forum Settings
Forums

Can the manga rating still be taken seriously?

New
Oct 10, 2015 4:43 PM

Nov 2012
I mean the ratings of the mangas are shuffling like at madman. Manga like 20th Century Boys and Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan where standing on the very top and are over taken by other works some of those works where even finished already that time and still managed to overtake those names. Also One piece for example is like going downhill i noticed by following the anime only to be honest. But still it's the same story even if de anime is slower paced the arcs arcs not actually getting better after the time skip. Yet still it seems to be having a high score anyway. These are just two examples. The main reason is the very hipster way of hyping it up. Once a manga gets a anime adaption the manga seems to be f*cking sky rocking. Which make my think is this really not a totally biased way of rating instead of actually rating the manga only? What do you guys think?

Also srry for my bad late night drinking engrisch.
Oct 10, 2015 4:44 PM

Jun 2014
People just rate light novels too damn high
Oct 10, 2015 8:51 PM

Sep 2013
A small amount of readers all rating a series a 9 or 10.
It happens with anime too, just look at all the gintama in the rankings, small size sample.
Jan 21, 2016 11:28 PM

Nov 2013
No. How Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria can be rated so high blows my mind.
Jan 21, 2016 11:48 PM
Jun 2015
Well, after reading that post, I'll requesting a CP and/or PH remake now... Well, after an Ib anime.
Jan 22, 2016 12:26 AM

Jan 2015
how can you say One Piece after time-skip is going downhill? the arc that just finished was one of the best.. and why are you comparing anime to manga rating?
Jan 25, 2016 2:38 AM

Jul 2008
I think the manga list is okay, a lot of standouts from their respective genres and demographics but the light novel list makes me cringe, I can't lie. I don't think MAL is exactly a great place to look at light novel ratings just because what's actually translated in English (legally or not) is not much so there's less competition. At least, I think realistically the ratings would look different if there were more translated light novels. For example, probably more original series and less light novel adaptations of manga (e.g. Death Note Another Note, Ao Haru Ride, Akatsuki no Yona, etc).

BEGINNER
Jan 25, 2016 2:44 AM

Sep 2009
Ehh, majority of mangas aren't translated, while majority of animes are. Most manga (or LN) ratings are a result of a very few number of ratings, so they aren't really indicative of anything.
Actually, tons of manga aren't even on the database yet, and it's very true that getting an anime adaptation attracts attention from us (the West), to something we otherwise may not even realize exists.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 25, 2016 5:10 AM

Jan 2010
That is because the manga ratings on MAL are strongly affected by the popularity of a series. When a manga series gets an anime adaption, it will get a blow of votes. And because the rating uses a Bayesian rating system, it's starts to sky rocketing. When the series is over and the popularity drops, the series is going back to it's normal rating. It's like people change their vote after a series is completed. It would be better that MAL would have an option to separate completed series from ongoing ones. As completed series have a permanent vote, while ongoing series have the benefit of the doubt, so they have a temporary vote. For example Cage of Eden, this was a very good series and it was rated very high when it was an ongoing series, but when it was ended in three chapters suddenly in a rush it's rating dropped almost with two points. And that is a lot for the Bayesian estimate.
Jan 26, 2016 11:45 AM

Apr 2010
There's always a big majority who love things, but there are others who don't like it. So, it's all about taste.

Jan 26, 2016 1:42 PM
Feb 2013
You're overreacting. 20th Century Boys and Watashitachi are still in the Top 10 on the manga charts, so they haven't been "overtaken" by that many series at all. If the charts weren't just a descending list of all of the series on the site by order of overall average rating, that'd be different and they probably wouldn't even be in the Top 10 (though the incredibly high averages and amount of ratings would still keep them high up). And maybe people just still adore One Piece enough to give it an incredibly high rating? I haven't touched it, so I don't know if I'd agree with you or the masses if I do, but it's all just opinions.

And even though I don't take the manga charts seriously at all, they're at least a lot better than the anime charts (though I feel that it's due to more manga readers being more accepting of more unconventional things in my experience. I mean, Oyasumi Punpun is in the Top 5, whereas it'd probably be completely dismissed by anime-only fans if it was just an anime due to things like it's artstyle).
LordofSushiJan 26, 2016 1:59 PM
Jan 26, 2016 4:14 PM

Jan 2016
You can always rely on my rating buddy.
Jan 26, 2016 4:17 PM

Aug 2014
Are you mad? The rate are subjetives
Jan 26, 2016 4:17 PM

Jun 2013
This is MAL, nothing should be taken seriously.
Jan 26, 2016 4:19 PM

Jul 2013
Bioshocked said:
This is MAL, nothing should be taken seriously.
this
hnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 26, 2016 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
Sometimes the ratings make me think that people don't actually read, they just flip through the manga and look at the pictures.
Jan 26, 2016 4:38 PM

Nov 2014
Highly doubt, but I usually look at they to devide if I should read.

Jan 26, 2016 5:58 PM

Aug 2013
When have MAL ratings every been taken seriously?
Jan 26, 2016 6:21 PM
Sep 2015
Well the best mangas are rated high for a reason. However, you really wouldn't know until you read it. For example, Dengeki Daisy is rated really high as well as Skip Beat. Why? Because simply they are amazing. On the contrary, so many mangas are also high ranked but don't deserve it all--best example is Fairytail. But I don't know what you mean about One Piece going down. It's STILL the best manga. The new arc itself is amazing.
Jan 26, 2016 6:48 PM

Aug 2013
Maria_Perez said:
On the contrary, so many mangas are also high ranked but don't deserve it all--best example is Fairytail. But I don't know what you mean about One Piece going down. It's STILL the best manga. The new arc itself is amazing.

lol hating on Fairy Tail. Reason = One Piece fan.
Jan 31, 2016 5:05 AM
Sep 2015
Wimwinkle said:
Maria_Perez said:
On the contrary, so many mangas are also high ranked but don't deserve it all--best example is Fairytail. But I don't know what you mean about One Piece going down. It's STILL the best manga. The new arc itself is amazing.

lol hating on Fairy Tail. Reason = One Piece fan.

Hahaha well you can say that too... but I was a FT fan before... then I read OP and realised what I was missing out on.
Jan 31, 2016 7:07 AM

Mar 2014
Fairy Tail is just the poor man's One Piece.

> "i think Youtube is a pretty cool guy. eh sucks viacoms dick and doesn’t afraid of anything" - anon
Ban me plz
Jan 31, 2016 12:22 PM

Aug 2009
I think when they're adapted into anime, manga scanners go for those so they can get more publicity towards their group, then more people start reading the manga because the anime didn't end at a part they liked or they don't really think anime is as good as manga so they check it out.

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
8 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
10 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
11 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Yesterday, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Apr 23, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.