Forum Settings
Forums

Should it be illegal for people to harm themselves?

New
Oct 9, 2015 6:02 AM

Sep 2014
So law has been the subject of focus recently in my social sciences course at college, and a question I thought was interested cropped up of late:

Should there be laws that prevent people from harming themselves?

By "self-harming", I'm referring to things such as excessive use of recreational drugs/narcotics and/or alcohol, smoking, self-mutilation (cutting), BDSM (or consenting to it), self poisoning and other forms of "physical" self-injury.

Granted, many of these things are already illegal or moderated.
Does making "self-harm" illegal take away a part of a person's freedom?
Should it matter if a person chooses to harm themselves? Should it only be a cause of concern if they're causing harm to others?
Should different kinds and/or degrees of "self-harm" be illegal, and others not?
etc.

Discuss.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 9, 2015 6:05 AM

Mar 2013
why
Oct 9, 2015 6:08 AM

Apr 2014
In certain circumstances it makes sense, such as wearing a crash helmet being a requirement by law.

If someone crashes and dies on a motorbike their kids could just say "all you had to do was make wearing a helmet a requirement".
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Oct 9, 2015 6:13 AM

Jul 2015
Yes. Ban excessive food consumption.

Disgusting fat people everywhere.
Oct 9, 2015 6:16 AM

Jul 2014
How would you even enforce a law like this? Secret police barging into your home every night to ensure you're not drinking more than two standards?

Sounds like it would create more problems than it would solve.

Let them be.
Oct 9, 2015 6:16 AM

Jan 2015
toolazytopick said:

Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Oct 9, 2015 6:21 AM

Jan 2015
Let the idiots hurt themselves.

Freedom and all that jazz.
Oct 9, 2015 6:23 AM

Nov 2011
Maybe, if they can't bury themselves when they died.

Oct 9, 2015 7:15 AM

Jan 2015
If it was, Sweden would be banned.
Oct 9, 2015 8:42 AM

Mar 2014
Yes and No. Governmental enforcement or coercion at that minute a level has never given birth to anything good. But for all intents and purposes, I'm against self-harm because you are a part of your society; and if you harm yourself, you ultimately harm the whole society.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Oct 9, 2015 8:45 AM

Jul 2007
geniobastardo said:
But for all intents and purposes, I'm against self-harm because you are a part of your society; and if you harm yourself, you ultimately harm the whole society.
How exactly would some emo cutting themselves in their spare time harm all of society?
Oct 9, 2015 8:48 AM

Mar 2014
Scud said:
geniobastardo said:
But for all intents and purposes, I'm against self-harm because you are a part of your society; and if you harm yourself, you ultimately harm the whole society.
How exactly would some emo cutting themselves in their spare time harm all of society?

Each individual in a society gives up his/her freedoms to be entitled to the protection or the 'perks' of that society. Those freedoms include the fact that you have to give up excessive leisure to take up a job and be a productive part of the society. Assuming an emo harms him/her self, it is fair to say that that will abate his/her efficiency at work which would ultimately mean that they're taking more from the society than they're giving back.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Oct 9, 2015 8:52 AM

Jul 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
So law has been the subject of focus recently in my social sciences course at college, and a question I thought was interested cropped up of late:

By "self-harming", I'm referring to things such as excessive use of recreational drugs/narcotics and/or alcohol, smoking, self-mutilation (cutting), BDSM (or consenting to it), self poisoning and other forms of "physical" self-injury.

Such a party pooper.
Oct 9, 2015 8:53 AM
Oct 9, 2015 8:54 AM

Apr 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:

Granted, many of these things are already illegal or moderated.
Does making "self-harm" illegal take away a part of a person's freedom?
Should it matter if a person chooses to harm themselves? Should it only be a cause of concern if they're causing harm to others?
Should different kinds and/or degrees of "self-harm" be illegal, and others not?
etc.

Discuss.

It's pretty late time for bed
Oct 9, 2015 8:55 AM

Jan 2015
Dont neuter natural selection even more.
Oct 9, 2015 9:07 AM
Jul 2018
Some people find relief in harming themselves whether cutting, drinking themselves to death, etc. If that's the way they cope I see no reason to take it away from them.
Oct 9, 2015 9:14 AM

May 2014
IMO, hell to the NO!
True, it's not good to hurting oneself but having such a law?
WTF, I might as well end my life for it's no longer my life if I don't even have the right to decide to continue to live or die.
Oct 9, 2015 9:19 AM

Mar 2008
No that would just make them feel worse.
Oct 9, 2015 9:23 AM

Jun 2015
Isn't suicide illegal in some countries anyway?
Read Toriko!
Oct 9, 2015 9:24 AM

Jun 2015
If people want to harm themselves then whose problem is it other than their own?
Oct 9, 2015 9:26 AM

May 2013
Wouldn't stop them doing it.

Besides what are you going to do to them? Throw them in jail?

Or do you get them professional assistance or something?
If that's the case then I can imagine that a lot of people might do it JUST to get the help.
Oct 9, 2015 9:26 AM

Oct 2010
As long as they aren't harming other people, I think that a person should have the right to decide what they want to do with their own bodies or lives.
Oct 9, 2015 9:36 AM

May 2014
Live and let die
I've been here way too long...
Oct 9, 2015 9:42 AM

Sep 2014
phantom346 said:
Isn't suicide illegal in some countries anyway?

In my country yes, so if you didn't die from the attempt, you'll be fined.

Law was made to let the people know where not to cross the line. From what I learn, deviance, the act of being different from normal, is a normal thing in a society.

If making self-harm illegal, people would still do it cause like I've said, deviance is normal. The fact that the officials enforce the law may not stop an individual as well.

Self-harm isn't good but we are not the one who own the bodies of self-harmers. BUT even if it's not us, we should be concern and try to prevent it from happening, not sit aside and condoning the act.
semi-active
Oh it's that delinquent, Ayukawa Madoka ♡

Oct 9, 2015 10:08 AM

Sep 2014
Clebardman said:
Such a party pooper.

There was a 1993 case that involved a number of defendants who carried out sado-masochistic acts upon each other in private. The acts took place with the consent of all involved.
The defendants were found guilty of offences under Sections 47 & 20 of the  Offences Against the Person Act (1861). They sought to appeal on the grounds of consent, but the House of Lords found that “all assaults causing more than merely transient harm will be deemed unlawful, even if they are consented to, unless there are good policy reasons for allowing the consent to operate”.
I think there have been similar cases to this one as well.

The party has already been "pooped".

Manganese said:
Wouldn't stop them doing it.

Besides what are you going to do to them? Throw them in jail?

Or do you get them professional assistance or something?
If that's the case then I can imagine that a lot of people might do it JUST to get the help.

I can't remember where it's enforced, but I think there is at least one country that forces people who have been found, or accused of self-harm, to seek medical and psychological help, whether they want to or not.

I'll edit this post later if I recall where this takes place, or if it's even still in enforcement or not.

As for people doing it just for the help... Why?
There's still stigmas attached to mental health illnesses, I don't know why most people would would to be associated in a "negative" light. The people that still do it regardless, because they seek attention for whatever reason, probably actually do need the help.
Oct 9, 2015 1:51 PM

Jun 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:

I can't remember where it's enforced, but I think there is at least one country that forces people who have been found, or accused of self-harm, to seek medical and psychological help, whether they want to or not.

I'll edit this post later if I recall where this takes place, or if it's even still in enforcement or not.

As for people doing it just for the help... Why?
There's still stigmas attached to mental health illnesses, I don't know why most people would would to be associated in a "negative" light. The people that still do it regardless, because they seek attention for whatever reason, probably actually do need the help.

that would be America. Turns out in the good ol' land of the free we're not that free.

OT: no. Absolutely not. It goes against the purpose of government and frankly is a waste of time and energy to make such thing illegal..
Oct 9, 2015 1:54 PM

May 2014
What if I want to choke myself while masturbating? Don't you think it's unfair to be charged for doing so?
Oct 9, 2015 1:54 PM

Jun 2014
it's their body I feel like they should be free to do things like that with it.
Oct 9, 2015 1:58 PM

Apr 2011
You can be sectioned by a family member. So in a way you can be "arrested" for harming yourself, or even if your family has some reasonable proof you might. You don't go to jail, but you go to court and then to a jail-like facility for mental illness if the court deems it necessary.
Oct 9, 2015 2:10 PM

Feb 2014
RedTie47 said:
Some people find relief in harming themselves whether cutting, drinking themselves to death, etc. If that's the way they cope I see no reason to take it away from them.
Where the fuck did Monday go?
Oct 9, 2015 2:14 PM

May 2015
I once heard that somebody tried to kill himself.

His punishment was the death penalty.
Oct 9, 2015 2:15 PM

Jul 2015
it must be . they shouldn't give up but fight to their last breath because the world is cruel
Oct 9, 2015 2:17 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
sounds dumb
Oct 9, 2015 2:21 PM

Apr 2011
I forgot to mention I was from America. Do people from other countries know if you have something similar to Sectioning someone? I would think most countries do, it's not putting someone in jail but its forcefully putting them into treatment they can't leave....well yeah it's kind of like jail.

You go to court though, so if you prove to the court you're not a harm to yourself they can't section you.
Oct 9, 2015 2:21 PM

Mar 2011
So long as they are not negatively impacting others then people are free to do what they want.
Oct 9, 2015 2:22 PM

Apr 2011
Infinite said:
So long as they are not negatively impacting others then people are free to do what they want.

So if a family has someone in their family that has a mental illness and is very likely going to kill themselves, you don't think they should be able to force them into treatment?
Oct 9, 2015 2:26 PM

Mar 2011
Fintan said:
Infinite said:

So if a family has someone in their family that has a mental illness and is very likely going to kill themselves, you don't think they should be able to force them into treatment?

I've never heard a success story of helping someone who didn't want to be helped, but that's just circumstantial evidence I guess.
Oct 9, 2015 2:41 PM

Sep 2014
Fintan said:
I forgot to mention I was from America. Do people from other countries know if you have something similar to Sectioning someone? I would think most countries do, it's not putting someone in jail but its forcefully putting them into treatment they can't leave....well yeah it's kind of like jail.

You go to court though, so if you prove to the court you're not a harm to yourself they can't section you.

Sectioning exists in the UK as well. From what I've heard, it's a fairly difficult process nowadays though, because no one really wants to have to deal with self-harm patients when the NHS is already over-loaded as it is, so I don't think they get as high priority as home people with more "serious" mental health conditions, but I guess it depends on how severe the self-harming is.
Oct 9, 2015 2:57 PM

Mar 2014
Lol

Ain't going to work
Remv_quevav said:
toolazytopick said:

Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 9, 2015 3:00 PM

Apr 2013
Fintan said:
Infinite said:

No they shouldn't.

It's the guy's freedom man. Mentally ill or not, let him do as he please.

They can try to persuade him, but forcibly put him in? That shit goes south real fast once it's abused.
Oct 9, 2015 3:01 PM

Mar 2015
No I am against anything that gives away my freedoms to do whatever I want.

I believe as long as you are not hurting anyone else you should be able to do what you want.

Also there is a difference between things that should be illegal and things that should be frowned upon.

Privileged people who haven't yet learned the injustice that is authority seem to get these things mixed up.
Oct 9, 2015 3:02 PM
Feb 2011
SnugglyWhuggly said:

BDSM (or consenting to it)

but BDSM is awesome....
Oct 9, 2015 3:40 PM

Jun 2015
But...I like BDSM...
Oct 9, 2015 3:43 PM

Jul 2014
Suicide/suicide attempts should be punished by the death penalty!!!!!!
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Oct 9, 2015 3:47 PM

Apr 2011
SnugglyWhuggly said:
Fintan said:

Sectioning exists in the UK as well. From what I've heard, it's a fairly difficult process nowadays though, because no one really wants to have to deal with self-harm patients when the NHS is already over-loaded as it is, so I don't think they get as high priority as home people with more "serious" mental health conditions, but I guess it depends on how severe the self-harming is.

My mother tried to section me when I was a teen, I fought it though and the court didn't allow it. The place I would have went is notoriously bad, I've heard people say it's worse then jail due to the people you're locked up with.

hoopla123 said:
Fintan said:

No they shouldn't.

It's the guy's freedom man. Mentally ill or not, let him do as he please.

They can try to persuade him, but forcibly put him in? That shit goes south real fast once it's abused.

Mentally ill or not? Those people don't have freedom regardless of laws, their minds control them cause they're broken. They need help...

Plus only your family can section you usually, and they can't keep you forever. So it's basically a last attempt at saving the person for the family... If the person still wants it when they're out.... They can.
Oct 9, 2015 4:15 PM
Jul 2018
Well if your wrist looks like a cutting board then I think that's your choice bruh
Oct 9, 2015 4:25 PM

Jun 2013
shotz_ said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:

No. know why? because i love FREEDOM and i'm not a selfish person that tries to force my choices on others.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM
I have really funny thoughts that no one will get to hear.
Oct 9, 2015 4:30 PM

Mar 2011
Fintan said:
Mentally ill or not? Those people don't have freedom regardless of laws, their minds control them cause they're broken. They need help...

Yeh these guys, their brains are CONTROLLING THEM.

Holy shit son, that sounds pretty serious. We all know if you aren't controlled by your spleen then some serious shit is going down.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 35 minutes ago

5 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you post your own original artwork onto social media?

DesuMaiden - Apr 10

26 by DesuMaiden »»
15 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

56 by MalchikRepaid »»
16 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 5 hours ago

8 by TibetanJazz666 »»
20 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 11 hours ago

9 by Hikinekomori »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.