Forum Settings
Forums

How did you find out about anime, and what was the first one you saw?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 9, 2015 4:01 AM

Jan 2015
Watching Dragon Ball on TV as a kid.
Oct 9, 2015 4:05 AM

Nov 2014
Weeping_Shinobu said:
I was looking at the Corpse Party Wikipedia page, and I saw it had an anime, so I thought, "Fuck yeah!" and watched it. No regrets.
In my childhood, shows like Pokemon, Doraemon, and DBZ always air in the tv so i think it's the first time i know the medium called anime.. I think the first ever anime i've watched is Pokemon back when i'm still in 1st grade of elementary school..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Oct 9, 2015 4:08 AM

Sep 2014
Well I watched pokemon and yugioh as a kid but didn't know they were anime, just thought they were cartoons. But one of my friends made all of these DBZ references that I didn't get so I decided to binge watch it and I freaking loved it and wanted to watch more and then I found out about the world of anime.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Oct 9, 2015 5:37 AM

Nov 2013
It was Detective Conan.
Still one of the best for me ~
Oct 10, 2015 3:17 AM

Jun 2015
ccs on cn
Oct 10, 2015 5:06 AM
Aug 2015
I was about 6-7 years old when I watched Digimon Adventure 01 on the national TV in my country. It was dubbed in my own language. I watched it few more times later with subs, and then I found out that Digimon is actually anime, so I started searching for more :)
Oct 10, 2015 6:21 AM
Jul 2015
Well my first animes were Pokemon and dragon ball z
But I actually found about anime while flicking through channels on the t.v
Fma brotherhood was airing on sbs so I decided to watch it
At first I though it was just some awesome kids cartoon
I decided to search I it up and that's when I was introduced to the world of anime
The end
Oct 10, 2015 7:57 AM

Jul 2015
If you're talking about 1st anime it's gundam, pokemon and mirumu since I was still a kid. But I only ever got interested in watching anime recently and was recommended Hyouka by a friend and I consider it to be my 1st true anime.
Oct 10, 2015 10:15 AM

Aug 2014
I've watched Pokemon, but I really got into anime after my sister showed me Lovely Complex and Fruits Basket.
Oct 10, 2015 10:21 AM

Nov 2013
By borrowing my friend's VCD, Pokemon.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 10, 2015 10:43 AM

Apr 2015
From a friend. DBZ was 1st.
Oct 10, 2015 12:03 PM
Jul 2015
I have relatives in Taiwan so my family would go and visit them when I was little. my mom bought me all this anime stuff, but I never started watching it until a few years ago. My first anime was probably Pokemon or Mermaid Melody.
Oct 10, 2015 12:03 PM

Aug 2011
I mean technically the first anime I saw was Pokemon, but I will go with Naruto if that's what you mean. I found out about anime when I was looking up why Naruto was going off Cartoon Network (It was over anyway) and I found Naruto Shippuden. Naruto Shippuden started my anime journey
Oct 10, 2015 4:27 PM

Feb 2015
well this involves a rather confusing and complicated story.

PART 1
anime was always in my life, whether it was family, friends, or outside of them (the world) and i'd always had a very lukewarm interest in it. so i can't really literally nail down my "first" anime. the first time i heard of this "anime" was by the prince of tennis that aired on TV. my older brother was the only one allowed to look at it (he was what, 13-14?) so he'd go into my mom's room and they'd watch it together every friday or whatever day it was. i excepted that and paid no mind to it.

then he came into the naruto disease that all boys had caught from each other at the time, but to my memory it wasn't that long. if naruto happened to be on TV at a friend's house i'd watch it, but that's all i know. i don't even remember the episodes i watched. i do remember reading some early manga volumes, though.

then there was the SMBZ explosion on the internet but
even with the obvious influence of anime, it still didn't stick to me, even though i still have memories of loving the crap out that show.

for some reason, anime had always been like dirty tape on the sticky part, it stuck, but pathetically so, and quickly fell off.

PART 2

everyone in my family was bored to tears with TV by 2010-11 and my dad canceled it and it's stayed that way to this day. we had a buttload of cartoon DVDs no-one had really seen, so that was basically the only "TV" anyone got, and no-one complained.

but after watching re-runs for literal years, i had gotten tired of cartoons and wanted something new. (i won't be talking about this for a while, but it'll get around.)

i had started watching FMA with my brothers like 2-3yrs back and it's thanks to them that i had a bigger interest in anime, but not by much until last year.

after touching a little on FMA, i started and finished DBZ and fell (REALLY) hard for it, but that was the end of me and my brothers' dive into anime.

last year i was thinking about how much i had delcared i had such a great interest and respect for anime when i realized that i hardly looked at any.
after thinking how bored i was with cartoons, i decided to give this "anime" - something that had always had appearances in my life - a try. a huge burden of guilt over years of time for not finishing FMA had built inside me (more like it was ON me) for some reason, so i decided to not start any new anime until i finished it.

so technically, since FMA and myself had a history, it's not like it was a 100% new anime for me, so, after thinking really hard about the time in between i'd seen them, the "first" anime i had seen was last exile and kuroshitsuji. last exile planted my interest, but the one that got me into it is the latter.

PART 3

while watching last exile, there was one moment in one of the episodes - it was so small, but it's those things that get my attention in anime.

the scene was this: a crew of men were teasing a couple of kids, and one them defended theirselves. while the child was talking, one of the crew member did a small smirk and made a small laugh.

this just blew me away. i literally thought, "Wow, he actually laughed! He's not a character, he's a person with real reactions!"

he wasn't doing the "har har har" laugh that i'd seen so many people do in cartoons, but a small "heh" - snicker, if you please. maybe you don't understand, and i hardly understand myself, but that's what got my interest.

characters are actual people in anime, and there was just that value the characters were given that i hadn't seen at all in cartoons.

PART 4
as for kuroshitsuji, i came to it by the manga but had no time to see what it was about other than the title and front cover of the first volume, because i had to leave barnes and noble JUST when i picked it up. back home the name still stuck to me, so i - not knowing you could read manga online - figured i had no chance to know any more about it unless there was an anime about it, since i HAD known most anime are based off of manga. i took that guess and that's my story to it.

kuroshitsuji taught me about the realism of the pain and darkness of humans, and that's what really made me love it and get a thirst for more anime.

FINAL PART
i have my brothers to thank for everything to do with myself in the animeverse, but the irony is that when they fell off the anime track and i picked it back up, now they're motivated to start their own anime tastes as well.

now, i've learned there is much more to anime than the pretty art and even great plot, and that is why i continue watching.
TomDayOct 10, 2015 4:31 PM
Oct 10, 2015 5:37 PM

Jul 2015
My cousin used to watch Inuyasha and Pokemon, and I watched it with him when I was little. Then a couple of years back, I was like "I should watch Pokemon bc childhood" and I watched a bunch of that. Then I found a top 100 anime list online somewhere and the rest is history
Oct 10, 2015 6:39 PM

Jan 2011
I pity those that were recommended their first anime from some outspoken anime fan.
Oct 12, 2015 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
i started watching anime thanks to my soulmate and the first anime i watched was one piece
Oct 13, 2015 10:11 AM

Dec 2014
Kaleido star and cardcaptor sakura when it aired
Oct 13, 2015 2:26 PM
Oct 2015
My parents were huge pokemon fans when I was born so..
I guess Pokemon and Always XD

Started watching properly about 4 years ago when I watched Death Note
Oct 13, 2015 4:24 PM

Oct 2010
Inu Yasha on TV, Spirited Away on TV, and rented Kiki's Delivery Service from the library when I was in elementary school.

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Oct 13, 2015 7:11 PM

Sep 2015
I know it's not very original of me but I think it was DBZ on toonami. I was 5 or 6 I think...
Oct 13, 2015 7:19 PM

Aug 2015
As a child, I played some stupid dating sim on newgrounds like 12 years ago, and I ended up watching Love Hina. Here I am all these years later....

HM: Naruto was being advertised on cartoon network, that also had a huge hand in it.
Oct 13, 2015 9:22 PM

Mar 2015
I was watching Death Note at 1st on TV and then got to Code geass after
Oct 13, 2015 9:43 PM

Jun 2015
Pokemon Original, then Dragon Ball, then DBZ... Then YU-Gi-Oh!... Then Naruto.

My Mom was an anime fan for a long time so when I was a baby, I saw the Original Dragon Ball with her.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost."
Oct 13, 2015 10:03 PM
Sep 2015
I watched an episode of Open Haus by FunHaus on Youtube around August 30th this year, and one of the guys (James) mentioned Ranma 1/2 during the episode. I had never seen Anime, nor had any interest in it at all. But i still watched it out of curiosity and Loved it! Ive been watching anime non-stop since then.

In order of viewing:
1. Ranma 1/2 (9.5/10)
2. Inuyasha (8/10)
3. Maison Ikkoku (10/10)
4. Kimagure Orange Road (8/10)
5. Bokura Wa Minna Kawaisou A.K.A. The Kawai Complex [just finnished] (10/10)
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Puddintane?status=7&order=4&order2=0

•"Akane's really a nice girl, she's just a violent maniac"- Kisume

•"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
When I became a man, I put aside childish things."- The Apostle Paul, (quoted in Ghost in the Shell)

Oct 13, 2015 10:15 PM

Jan 2015
When I was younger it was Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network.

But I was reintroduced to anime when my friend persuaded me to catch back up to Naruto and watch Spirited Away and some other Miyazaki moves back during high school.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Oct 14, 2015 9:02 AM

Feb 2015
Senpai_Stef said:
My parents were huge pokemon fans when I was born so..
I guess Pokemon and Always XD

Started watching properly about 4 years ago when I watched Death Note

you must be fairly young, then. :o
Oct 14, 2015 10:07 AM

Sep 2015
Ok, so i watched pokemon first. But i stopped watching because I got bored of it. 6 years later, however, my cousin introduced me to anime. He was watchin Ouran highschool host club. After that, the first anime I saw would be, well...ouran highschool. BUT the first anime I finished would be Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.
Oct 14, 2015 10:11 AM

Apr 2015
TV as a kid, I don't know which one came first though, but I either started with Ranma 1/2 or Ghost Sweeper Mikami.

I think I started watching seriously about 6, maybe 5 years ago when I was bored and decided to watch Burst Angel (Not the best re-introduction really). And the first season I followed was when Occult Academy was airing.
Oct 15, 2015 3:35 AM
May 2015
My brothers were really interested in Pokemon back in the day, being the only girl, I was influenced by this, finding that it was called an 'anime' I wasn't really interested in this topic so I ignored it for the rest of my life. My cousin, introduced me to Angel beats watched it, fell in love. 3 years later, I started watching excessively, and became a so called 'otaku'.
Oct 15, 2015 4:04 AM
Oct 2015
Well Sailor moon/Dragonball/Mumins/Taro the Dragon Boy when I was a child.
(dragonball was the favorite TV show of my older brother)

Then as a grown up I first watched Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi and then I watched many anime movies of Miyazaki.

But I was the most influenced from a boyfriend of mine who watched a lot of anime, so I started watching anime series.
Oct 15, 2015 12:01 PM
Oct 2015
My dad gave me the first fairy tail mangaand I got really into it and started to watch little anime's like save me lollipop :D
Oct 15, 2015 12:58 PM

Oct 2013
Technically the first thing I saw was Dragon Ball , but i never watched that or DBZ all the way through. I didn't really start getting into it until I saw the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime
Jan 23, 2016 10:45 PM
Jun 2015
I think I found anime thru watching TV..
My first anime was Pokémon and I guess it was pretty popular during that time too
:3
Jan 23, 2016 10:52 PM

Nov 2015
I used to be skeptical about anime but then I switched Highschools and my new friends started saying shit like "Dude wtf you haven't seen Death Note!!" and "Who the fuck hasn't seen Steins;Gate!!" so I said fuck it..
Jan 23, 2016 10:56 PM

Jul 2015
Well I was watching anime like dragonball, one piece, flame of recca, slamdunk, fullmetal alchemist, and naruto already by 10 years old on tv but I didn't know that it was anime. But what really piqued my interest is when I saw a glimpse of Sword Art Online on tv(yeah yeah I know many hate this anime) and that was my starting point.
Jan 23, 2016 10:57 PM

Nov 2014
sailor moon, my best friend showed me like 15 years ago. fuck I feel old... we went to a lot of cons. I stayed away from anime for some time but... here I am now
Jan 23, 2016 11:09 PM

Dec 2015
Well, my earliest trysts with anime were technically pathetic dubs of Doraemon and Chibi Maruko.
Jan 23, 2016 11:12 PM

Sep 2009
Well, as a child, I used to watch DBZ on cartoon network, and one day my parents told me it it was a "Japanese cartoon." After which, I used the internetz and discovered anime, and a bunch of shows my friends liked were also anime.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 24, 2016 3:50 AM
Sep 2015
Naruto, Eyeshield21, Captain Tsubasa...
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Jan 24, 2016 4:09 AM

Mar 2011
An online friend told me about this awesome cartoon where this one guy was really cool and good at fighting and I had to check it out. So I checked it out, and it was Cowboy Bebop, one of the best anime I've seen to this day.
Jan 24, 2016 4:10 AM

Jul 2009
Watching stuff as a kid and teen when it aired on TV. Then I got more into it and started watching all kinds of genres once it was easily accessible to stream anime online.

First few series that I watched when I was really young were some shows called The Bush Baby and The Jungle Book..but I didn't know they were anime at the time. The first ones I watched knowing they were anime were Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Cardcaptors, Dragon Ball/DBZ/DBGT, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh.
Jan 24, 2016 4:55 AM

Jan 2016
Didn't know it was called anime when there's Tagalized dubs in our afternoon TV when I was a kid..... then I went into the "Japan is weird" phase for a while, and the the thing that kickstarted me in watching anime is A Certain Magical Index which I watched November of 2014.
Jan 24, 2016 5:01 AM
Nov 2015
First anime was Pokemon, digimon, dragonball z when i was about 6years old watching cheez tv
Jan 24, 2016 5:02 AM
Aug 2013
A youtuber i used to watch liked anime, i got curious and watched one of his favorite anime that he recommended (Fruits Basket). Loved it and fell in love with the medium. Watched more and more, became completely obsessed and immersed and here i am today lol. Still loving it :)

Well i watched Kids shows like Pokemon and Digimon, and also Spirited Away when i was little but i don't really count that though.
deactivated20325Jan 24, 2016 5:07 AM
Jan 24, 2016 5:09 AM

Jan 2009
The first anime I saw was on a VHS that I borrowed from my cousin, but I don't recall what I watched first.
It's was either Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, Starzinger or Arrow Emblem.

I actively started watching anime way later. I watched DBZ(I had only seen random eps of it before) and NGE and then it was too late to turn back.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jan 24, 2016 2:40 PM
Feb 2014
I had watched a few animes when I had no internet or still didn't know they were animes.

One day I decided to start watching one piece again cause I didn't have the program they used to show it on and bang I found out about dbz being anime and found fairy tail and soul eater and so it began
Jan 24, 2016 2:47 PM

Nov 2011
I have no idea how I found out my memory sucks, but I remember that my first anime was Maburaho ~
CharJan 24, 2016 2:51 PM
Jan 24, 2016 3:13 PM

Jul 2010
sixth grade, remember seeing my friend watching full metal panic, which was the first anime that i saw.
Jan 24, 2016 5:13 PM

Jan 2014
My first was Sailor Moon I think. Well it was on TV.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which season of Attack on Titan do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 10 minutes ago

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
3 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 2 hours ago

6 by Zettaiken »»
14 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

36 by Maou_heika »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 39 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
36 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

107 by mo_lave »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.