Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 7, 2015 3:59 AM

May 2010
Interview with Pauper
This interview again was unfortunately done and reviewed by Amia

1. Tell us more about yourself.

Ah, what a nice question to start off with, you know what? Let’s start this one with a little background story, just because this reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago. At my course, we had these ‘solicitation’ – interviews, that where a part of our (I hope Google translate is right about this one) ‘learning development/orientation’. Before I had this little interview, my classmates told me it was easy as hell, ‘oh, they only ask a bit about your marks and behavior in class!’ So I was started the interview positively, knowing that I was doing quite well... But how wrong I was for thinking it was going to be easy... After giving my lecturers a handshake, I sat down, and the first thing I hear is: So Christian, where do you see yourself in the future?
GODDAMNIT, I SHOULD HAVE PREPARED FOR THIS.
Yes, I did manage to make up some story about how my main goal was studying as much as possible right now, gathering information about career options in the meantime, blablabla...

But, you know why this question remembered me of that moment in my life? Because this time I’m quite glad that I had some time to think about such a broad, seemingly easy but SURPRISINGLY difficult question!

Okay, now some information about me to truly kick this interview off with: My name is Christian, but please call me Chris or just Pauper. I’m a 21 year old student who’s about to follow a pre-master’s programme from the Netherlands. In my spare time I kinda do all the stereotypical things for a student these days, browse the internets, playing video games and drinking too much alcohol in the weekend... I also play football (or soccer for you Americans), at the lowest league imaginable. We spent more time drinking and socializing than actually playing and we barely win, but we have alot of fun! I know most of my close friends because we were in the same football team at some point – and that’s why football is quite an important thing in my life, despite being quite bad at it!

Just like almost everyone living in the 21st century, music is an ‘oh so important’ thing in my life, so let me tell you something about my glorious taste in music (or not... probably not for most of you...).

I’m going to starting this topic as generic as possible because: I can listen to most kinds of music; almost every genre has a few songs/bands/DJs I can appreciate. Even genres I generally dislike have a few good artists, such as Fort Minor for hiphop music and Ice Cube for rap music.

But during my life I developed a taste in various genres, mainly rock, metal, and last but not least – Hard dance music (HDM). I’ll start off naming a few bands I like before I get to the HDM part, just to give an impression. And one last thing, I don’t really consider myself a fan of these bands, I just listen to them but don’t attend gigs or anything. Various bands I listen to are: NOFX, Bad Religion, Alkaline Trio, Millencolin, Lagwagon, Foo Fighters, Dropkick Murphys, Disarmonia Mundi, Rhapsody, Machinae Supremacy, Converge, Off with their heads, Raised Fist, Streetlight Manifesto… (Okay, enough I guess!)

Now for the HDM part, let me tell you up front that it’s a music genre extremely unfitting for someone browsing a forum like MAL, but you’ll find out soon enough. HDM is a part of electronic dance music (EDM) and is mainly popular in the Netherlands. A part of HDM which is also getting more popular abroad is hardstyle, but there are more genres in it such as hardcore, frenchcore, terror, and for the ones that really love speed – speedcore (there’s much more, but I’d have to list… a lot). I just assume there aren’t many other people whom are into this kind of music here, so I won’t list all kinds of DJ’s. BUT! If you are interested you can always send me a private message or leave a comment on my profile.

You might be wondering why HDM is an important thing to me, well; it’s mainly because I’ve been going to festivals/raves with that kind of music since 2013. At those parties I’ve met many people from different countries and different backgrounds –we’ve all had that one thing in common: We like this music and going to these ‘parties’ make us forget about the… struggles of our daily life. And besides that, you see the most hilarious things there. Drunk people jumping around in the mud at a rainy festival, inflatable animals being throw around at some stages (resulting in someone sitting on top of them thinking it’s real, don’t do drugs kids), oh yeah, last time I even saw a couple… getting a bit too lewd in the middle of a stage... hmmm… yeahh… Let’s say using drugs is very, very common there.
Okay! That’s it for this question; I tried to make it somewhat concise while also telling the most important things about myself! If you still have questions, just ask me, I secretly like it a lot when people ask me stuff here :$

2. Why did you pick ‘Pauper’ as your nickname?

Hopefully nobody is expecting a really interesting answer to this one, because the answer is quite simple: people supporting a local football club in this area call themselves ‘Paupers’. Sadly I don’t even know the reason for it, probably because poor people used to visit the games.

When I turned 15 years old I started to call myself Pauper on the internet (or in some cases I put something behind pauper because pauper was taken already). Before that I had a Dutch nickname on the internet that could be translated to ‘big monster’, at some point I just changed that because it was a nickname I made up in primary school. Honestly, what 21 year old would still call himself that, it would be too cringy…?

Maybe I should add that during the years, I also found a bit of ‘satire’ in this nickname. On the internet people mostly give themself a ‘cool’ or ‘original’ name, but in reality some of those are quite lame if you think about it (sorry). But then you have me, just a mere Pauper passing by, minding my own business, huehue…hue…

3. Is there actually a deeper meaning behind your signature?

Not anymore, it used to describe my feels but now I just keep it for shit’s ‘n giggles. The whole Garfeel used to describe my romantic failures but these days I’m…

I’m…
d-d-d-dating a g-girl…

Sorry MAL, I lost my ronery persona and became a normie.

Editor note: Congratulations, now we wont have to make embarrassing hearts in paint anymore.

4. Give us a brief history of your time on MAL. Which sections of MAL are you the most active on?

I joined MAL on the 28th of March, 2012, but I started posting frequently a year ago. I started off with a serious thread about meet-ups. The thread got a few serious replies but also shitty ones, which made me realize this forum had quite the circlejerk going on as well. For some reason I liked it here anyway, so I stayed. My favorite section of MAL is the casual discussion part; probably more than 95% of my posts are there.

Apart from CD, it seems that every once in a while club rises, many people join it but it gets abandoned afterwards. Every once in a while I like to join those as well but it’s just… even worse than the regular circlejerking? I’ll tell more about this at question 6!

But yeah, since I haven’t been around for that long (in my opinion, comparing this to a different forum where I’ve been on since 2008) I don’t much to tell about my experiences here. I guess I got most of my ‘fame’ for creating the non-lewd movement. I made it to oppose all the shitty threads about sex that were created around that time, for some reason it got quite big but also died just as fast. But! By creating the club I ended up creating a Skype group as well, it might not have lasted for that long, but I got to know many people because of it!

And to be honest, that was my main reason I started becoming active on MAL on the first place. I wanted a ‘group of friends’ or maybe just ‘acquaintances’? that I didn’t know in real life, and were entirely different from me and my real life friends. Another requirement I had for this, was that they had to be speaking English, for two reasons: I wanted to improve my English a bit, since I hadn’t been active in any English speaking community for a while, which actually worsened my English skills. My second reason was that, if you speak/type in a different language, you apparently start thinking in a ‘different’ way; it gives you a different view on various topics – not entirely changing your personality of course. Especially that second part manifested itself quite… explicitly? I’m way more likely to talk about how I feel and think about something emotionally when I speak/think in English for some weird reason. Dutch people that know me can probably tell the difference between me conversing in Dutch or in English.

5. What topics do you like to discuss most on CD? Do you have a favorite thread?

I prefer threads I can somewhat relate to and threads that make you think about a certain interesting subject. I remember there have been a few threads about ‘what do you think about the country you live in’; such threads I think are quite interesting. It gives me an opinion to tell others about my country, while in the meantime I can read about how others feel about their country. A funny thread every once in a while is good too, especially if they could be taken serious in some way as well. Apart from that I wouldn’t say I have any certain ‘favorite topics’ on MAL, since threads don’t really last long anyway. At the other forum I’m active at I prefer the football topic and the general topics about ‘random appreciation’ and ‘random rants.’

6. How do you think the MAL community sees you? How do you feel about that?

I. Have. No. Idea.
Seriously now, it really depends how people get to know me. If you approach me seriously on my profile and start a conversation with me, you’d get a completely different impression than if you read my depressing posts every once in a while. People that know me from Skype have a different impression of me as well, and the ones that know me in real life could even think: HOW IN THE WORLD IS HE THAT PERSON ONLINE!? – But that’s mainly because of the difference between me speaking Dutch and me speaking English, which I explained in the previous question.

And how do I feel about this? Well, I only care about how people feel about me when they are somewhat close to me. If you aren’t close to me but judge me positively, then that’s nice – it gives me an opportunity to get to know you as well in a positive way. If you decide to judge me negatively, then that’s a shame, but if you do so, at least have a good impression of me. I don’t really like people that judge others negatively while just having a little bit of information about someone.

7. What do you feel about the board you use the most? What do you feel about the community in general?

I’m only active in the casual discussion part of MAL. I do like it, because there are quite a few nice threads every once in a while.

But yeah, about the circlejerking part that I’ve noted before, this forum would be better off if people were more open to newer members. If someone new posts a thread that’s… quite bad, they shouldn’t be shot down immediately. Another point of critique to the community is that new clubs get formed over and over again with some new ‘funny thing’ going on, but ah well, I don’t really want to dedicate to many words to my complaints. Since this forum is still very enjoyable anyway, mainly because it has a userbase of diverse and interesting people.

8. What are your positive and negative traits as a daily poster?

Ahh, time to reflect on my own posts now, well let’s see… Isn’t this something I should let others decide? I mean, I could tell how at a different forum, people like my humor so I’d say that’s one of my positive traits… But since I have to translate everything to English here, I might not be funny at all! ;_; Ah well, I could say that every once in a while I might be capable of actually contributing to a thread, I think… I hope! – Sorry, I’m bad at seeing my own positive traits.

My negative traits are more obvious, I can be quite depressing because sometimes I just like to vent. Also: I judge my own English quite critically, so sometimes I actually make a good post or want to start a new thread and just think… ‘Never mind, this isn’t understandable at all, I’ll make a fool of myself if I post this!’ That’s a negative trait for myself, but others can’t even notice, unless I end up posting something shitty instead, ghehe…

9. How do you feel about how the site is run? Especially in regards to the moderators and admins.

I don’t really have any complaints, which is a positive thing I guess?
I mean, the site is up most of the time, the forums are regulated properly and there isn’t a lot of spam either.
The mods have my compliments <3

10. Are there any users you like? Why?

Ahh, off to the part where I have to name people! Errm… I’m not sure about whom to put here, because I haven’t been around here that long, but I’ll try! Here I go...

LashLethal/Josh (J_SR3 he’s called now) – I just like him because he’s so based. He often sends random messages around too. I don’t even know him that well yet but I like him anyway <3

Drugs/Aaron – Whenever he talks in the Skype chat, others seem to just jump in. Nice person to have around and fun to talk to <3

Bash107 – Our loli Arabian hero we don’t deserve, a weird guy with a heart of gold. We all probably secretly love him <3

Spiff – If I name Bash, I also think about my other secrit MAL-love, his name may have changed but he’ll be Spiff forever in my heart <3

Amia – Ahh, come on, how can I let this pass if you’re the one that decided to interview me. AND OF COURSE ALL THE CONVERSATIONS WE’VE HAD, AND EHH, EVERYTHING. YOU KNOW WHY <3

Yume – Because Maddichan is the first girl to ever consider me k-k-kawaiiu >//////< <3

Zokni – Because the hungriest Hungryarian is very likeable, and also because of (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ messages <3

Also shout-out to everyone that joined the non-lewd movement, you (indirectly) gave me some extremely important internet fame, damn. <3

And yes, I know there are many others I like, but if I keep adding more and more I feel like I have to add others as well… s-sorry, so shoutout to everyone on my friendlist!!

11. Are there any users you dislike? Why?

There is this one creepy guy here, whom only approaches females on MAL and has quite a bad reputation of being a creep in general. If you know him you’d know immediately whom I’m talking about.

Apart from him, I guess nobody? Maybe if I met some of you guys in real life I’d totally hate you@@!

12. What are some MAL members you consider the most influential?

And again I have no clue how to answer a question! But after thinking about this for a while I’d say our loli girl Nisah from the Philippines used to be fairly influential. These days she isn’t really active anymore, haven’t even heard from her for quite some time now… Even though she was like, the most active person here, changing her profile every week completely? Ah well, I would’ve named her at the list of people I like if I recalled her earlier, now I’ll dedicate this question to her, huehue… (And because I really can’t think of anyone else, I guess you need to have been around for quite a while to be able to answer this one!)

But I believe I can’t answer this question properly, I haven’t been around long enough to tell who’s ‘influential’ on this site.

13. Is there a MAL member you would want to take on a date or get to know better? Who and why?

God, this is such a horrible question. I mean, I’m the worst person imaginable when it comes to such things, of course I’d like to date anyone here who’s at least somewhat nice to have around. I mean, we already share some interests since we’re both at this forum, right?

In the meantime I don’t really want to name anyone, a pathetic answer, I know. But I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up (as if!!), since I won’t get into a long distance relationship anyway. (I haven’t properly met a girl from the Netherlands on MAL yet either)
Besides, MAL is not a datingsite! (Please message me, grills <3)

14. Do you see yourself leaving MAL in the near future? Why?

No, I don’t think so. Maybe of something ‘drastic’ happens I might leave for a while, but right now I see no reason to leave this place.

Lately I have been less active at posting, but I’m online at least once day, just to check my profile (while barely getting any new messages, boohoo ;_;).

15. Can you recommend us 3 members who we can choose from to interview next and briefly explain why you would love to read their interviews?

Bash107 – Why? Well, I want to know his ‘serious’ side, talked quite a bit with him and he’s quite active in various chats, but I never really got to know him in a serious way. Maybe he has some interesting things to tell about himself and especially about living in Saudi Arabia.

Aaron – And let him tell all of his stories he’s had while not being sober, under whatever circumstances, I’m curious. Huhuhuhu

Yume – Just because I only know a few things about her personally, while she always seems very interested in other people!

[Bonus answer!]
Elvenlowen/Elphe(?) – Okay, this may sound weird, but I believe she was a good person that didn’t deserve the treatment some people gave her here. Some people treated her badly because she had some differing opinions (feministic?), she wasn’t even radical and genuinely had some struggles going on in real life because of her gender. She got misunderstood quite a bit. I’d like to know her… ‘True story?’, But I guess she’s gone here for good ;_;…

16. Do you have any special messages for the community?

I’ve tried to formulate something here a few times, every time I backread it and think… God, this is awful. Me saying something inspirational, how could that be! I’m a realist, not an idealist; don’t let a person like me say something special!!

But okay, here I go, I’ll tell you folks a few things I ‘want’ to share. Things that stuck to me in my life and some weird opinions I have about life that might affect your view on a subject. I have no clue how this might affect you but maybe it’s extremely inspiring for some random person.

Just before you start reading, just imagine you’ve just been watching a 2 hour long 10/10 dramatic movie and now Morgan Freeman reading my words as an epilogue

Let’s start off with literally the ONLY quote that ever stuck to me that I’ve read on social media: ‘Don’t judge yourself the way you expect others to judge you’. I personally really like to use this quote when I try to cope with my embarrassing mistakes. Just think about it, ever tried to sleep but embarrassing mistakes of the past keep you awake? It’s because you think others still judge you for it, they probably won’t!
(There are some exceptions to this though, sorry, had to say that as a realist…)

To add a bit to that quote, I have something to say about judgmental people in general: They are, in literally every case, shitty and close-minded people. You’re better off believing that their opinions do not matter anyway, because they shouldn’t affect your life/choices. Okay, everyone judges, that’s natural – but with judgmental people I mean the ones that constantly negatively judge people because of their background/clothes/hairstyle/et cetera…

And here are some (reeeaaaally personal) confessions for you filthy bastards!!

 I cried watching Clannad AS
 I fell from my bike twice when drunk
 I once blankly stared in front of me in the middle of a club for a minute because I got rejected so smoothly
 I once walked around at a rave party for 6 hours. Yes, six hours I’ve spent going from stage to stage, standing there for a while, talking with someone occasionally and then moving on again. I kept seeing 1 guy doing the same, have him on Facebook now. Great night to look back on, haha! (Ahem, don’t do drugs kids)
 There are moments I rather spent my night drinking behind my laptop, gaming, shitposting or whatever than going out with my friends in real life.
 I deleted a few confessions after revising this interview, because they were too horrible – even too horrible to put on the internet while being quite ‘anonymous’ here.
 I had to edit this interview a bit just because of my ‘romantic success’ <3

Bonus questions by Jessica aka Dawn

How did you become a pauper? Are you still a pauper or are your pauper days over?

I guess I already gave some information about this, about how I’ve gotten this nickname that is. But hey, I’ll try to differ the context a bit since I believe that some people think this whole Pauper thing is about me being unlucky/poor/foolish or whatever…
I’ve become a pauper for having idealistic ideals in the past. I thought that being yourself made you find a significant other, believed that being good to others made others treat you properly as well and that studying hard meant finding a good future. Since I was wrong about all those ‘major views’ on life, I’ve become this bitter realist whom rather keeps a more pessimistic view on life than having my innocent dreams broken once again.
My Pauper days aren’t over, maybe they’ll end one day, maybe I’ll be doomed to be a pauper forever, or maybe only a part of it remains~ Time will tell

What inspired you to start the Non-lewd Movement?

I think I’ve already told a little bit about this as well! It was to oppose all the sex threads that where being made at that moment, which was A LOT OF THEM. So I thought, let’s do something about this shit. I started making a few regular threads that were ‘in name of a non-lewd movement against lewd threads’ (something like that). Some people reacted positively, whether it was sarcastic or not, I decided to do more with it by creating a club.

Creating the club was quite easy, but keeping it a bit active was difficult. I tried a few things, like a newspaper and making specific threads, but ultimately making a Skype chat was the best thing that happened to the club. The club (well, not the club but the club ‘activities’ that happened on MAL) died because of that, since everything was moved to the Skype chat from that point on. In the meantime other clubs where formed, creating Skype chats as well. Sadly, people gradually started moving to other Skype chats as well. Currently the chat is fairly inactive and the club itself has died completely, but personally I don’t really care that much anymore. It was fun while it lasted, but I don’t really mind that it’s over now.

That’s it folks! Thanks for reading my interview, don’t hesitate to send me a message if you want to know more about me. Here’s a kawaii face for you that read everything (◕‿◕✿)

Oh! One last note, I might not be online a lot anymore (or active at all…) I still check my profile every now and then to see if I’ve gotten any messages, so I’m… approachable!?

Editor note: After...almost 2 months of procrastination we finally did it!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 10, 2015 8:21 AM

Dec 2012
Lovely interview, enjoyed reading c;
Oct 12, 2015 1:38 PM

Mar 2008
Keep on paupin' pauper
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Nominations V2 ( 1 2 )

Skittles - Nov 21, 2021

64 by Dapper_Dhampir14 »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:01 PM

» Interview 24 - Kineta

Daconator - Jun 10, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Aug 5, 2023 3:36 PM

» Interview #267 - lpf

spaceslut - Mar 28, 2023

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Mar 29, 2023 9:30 AM

» Interview #254 - IrrelevantGuy

NextUniverse - Apr 9, 2022

8 by IrrelevantGuy »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:30 AM

» Interview #200 - Shinah

Mimurona - Oct 13, 2019

10 by Shinah »»
Mar 9, 2023 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.