Forum Settings
Forums

Anime/Manga List Design - Halloween 2015 | Registration

New
Sep 30, 2015 3:15 PM

Feb 2010
Due to school obligations for our entrants, registration has been extended until November 1!

We're holding a Halloween-themed list design contest, and you're invited to participate! Anyone can enter and everyone has a chance to win.

New to list design? You can start with my simple CSS tutorial to style your list layout.
Not good at coding? We also provide premade layouts for you to use as a base and focus primarily on the image/color designs, rather than code.

[u]How to Enter[/u]
Post in this topic before November 1, specifying which list design(s) you would like to enter:
a) anime list; b) manga list; c) both list designs.

You don't need to have your list design ready when you post!
Until November 1, you are free to modify your list design, or edit your post changing your registration.

Make sure you read the rules and guidelines below, to ensure your list design qualifies for this contest.

[u]Rules and Guidelines[/u]
1. Each user can enter 1-2 list designs, using either their anime list, manga list, or both.

2. The images seen in your list must be Halloween-themed or related to horror/spooky stuff in some way, or else it will be disqualified.
So make sure to use some Halloween or horror elements in your design, such as:
    * Halloween-themed anime scenes or wallpaper
    * a creepy night theme, full moon, fog, etc.
    * pumpkins, autumn leaves
    * orange/black or red/black color schemes
    * ghostly or bloody special effects
    * Creepypasta or a Horror movie/TV/game stuff
    * demons, spirits, ghouls, zombies, vampires, witches, etc.
Or whatever means Halloween and scary to you! If you're unsure, just ask in the posts below.

3. You can either code a layout from scratch, or you can use a pre-made list layout as the base of your design. However, if you're using a premade layout, you must change all images and the colour palette used on the layout; otherwise, your design may be disqualified.

4. You cannot use a private layout that someone else has made as your entry or as the base of you entry; i.e. no stealing.

5. You cannot use a layout you created before the contest. This contest is for new list designs! You can, however, use an old layout as the base for the new one.

6. Your list designs must be available for public view by November 1. If your list entry is still set to private on that date, it will be disqualified.

[u]How to Win[/u]
By entering, you are eligible to win any (or even all) of these categories.
Member's Choice · A category where a popular vote will determine all user's favorite Halloween-themed list design. A voting thread will be opened later which all users are encouraged to vote in. Winner to be selected by MAL member's votes.

Best Imagery · The list design with the best choice of images will win this category. Maybe you're not good at coding, but know how to pick good anime images for a layout and display them well? Then this is a category you definitely have a shot at! Winner to be selected by judges.

Best Table and Menu Design · Are you really good at making lovely tables and menus? Then this is a category for you to try and win! Show us your best table design. Winner to be selected by judges.

Most Creative List Design · What list is the most creative or brings cool new ideas to the art form? Here is a category for you coding experts to show off your most creative ideas. Winner to be selected by judges.

Most User-friendly Design · Many users find advanced designs too laggy or difficult to use, and prefer simpler or minimalist designs. We recognize designs made to be convenient with this essential category! Winner to be selected by judges.

Judges are non-entrants who are well-respected CSS and design experts.

[u]Frequently Asked Questions[/u]
Click the spoiler for answers to FAQs in list design contests:

Any other questions can be asked in this topic.

[u]Need Help?[/u]
We want everyone to do the best they are capable of, so I'm providing some resources for you here:

[b]Good Luck to All Participants![/u]
Thanks SylakentH for the cool banner!
Shishio-kunOct 17, 2015 3:30 PM
Sep 30, 2015 4:53 PM

Jun 2014
Neither Japan nor pretty much any where other than the us celebrate Halloween...

I'm sure this is going to work great for those who don't want to put fan renders with tiny pumpkin colored bikinis covering giant pumpkin sized boobs all over their design.
Sep 30, 2015 6:00 PM

Apr 2015
This one is not easy to do image wise and the reason is as shardshunt21 said. We (U.S.) are probably the only country that celebrates Halloween. If I find free time I might enter but school is in the way.
Sep 30, 2015 6:05 PM

Feb 2010
shardshunt1 said:
Neither Japan nor pretty much any where other than the us celebrate Halloween...

Not sure what your point is, but I've noticed on MAL a lot of ppl outside the US know about Halloween and participate in Halloween-themed events like MALloween Mansion, etc. And all countries at least have horror films and are familiar with vampire-themed and other dark anime and such, so ppl can revolve their themes around those things and still relate to the contest theme. Many possible themes are listed in the OP:

* Halloween-themed anime scenes or wallpaper
* a creepy night theme, full moon, fog, etc.
* pumpkins, autumn leaves
* orange/black or red/black color schemes
* ghostly or bloody special effects
* Creepypasta or a Horror movie/TV/game stuff
* demons, spirits, vampires, ghouls, zombies, witches, etc.

SamPolus22 said:
This one is not easy to do image wise and the reason is as shardshunt21 said. We (U.S.) are probably the only country that celebrates Halloween. If I find free time I might enter but school is in the way.

Well actually I don't think it will be difficult at all to customize a list with most anything from the long list above. The imagery is definitely out there if you just search (couple examples below), plus there is a lot of room for creativity with this theme.

Halloween anime pics
full moon scenery

edit: added ghouls and zombies to the list of possible list themes
Shishio-kunSep 30, 2015 7:33 PM
Sep 30, 2015 8:31 PM

Oct 2012
Might possibly enter if I have the time :)
Oct 1, 2015 1:20 AM

Jun 2015
Lycelra
-Anime List

depending on how far i can make it due to my final
LycelraOct 13, 2015 10:59 PM
Hi there! Nice to meet you. I'm Lycelra ~❤- Signature by Isa -
Oct 4, 2015 8:13 PM

Jul 2013
entering but might have to withdraw because new semester =w=

edit: entering anime list. (๑・‿・๑)
nymphiaeOct 30, 2015 1:09 AM
Oct 16, 2015 7:37 PM

Apr 2015
Will the competition be cancelled if there's not enough participants or it will be just delayed?
Oct 17, 2015 3:42 PM

Feb 2010
Due to the majority of our entrant's school obligations, we've extended registration by another 10 days! If more time is needed, then let me know here or on my profile.

SamPolus22 said:
Will the competition be cancelled if there's not enough participants or it will be just delayed?

I don't have complete control over the contest, but I would never be ok with a cancel- just extensions. 2 participants would be good enough imo. Its really hard and time-consuming to make a quality list and all so I think its reasonable to wait for them to get the time they need.
Oct 18, 2015 6:51 PM
Feb 2007
Heh.. I guess I'll try? I'm sticking with my minimalist theme tho XD

EDIT:

Okay, I guess I'm done with mine. XD;;;

rusette
- Le Anime List
villan8lleOct 31, 2015 8:01 PM
Oct 20, 2015 9:42 PM

Jan 2012
Shishio-kun said:
Its really hard and time-consuming to make a quality list and all so I think its reasonable to wait for them to get the time they need.

I think it's not the main reason for low popularity of this contest. The theme itself - here's the reason. It's simple but it's really hard to suit requirements and make a list not just for the contest but a list that people would have really liked and will use themselves
Oct 21, 2015 11:03 AM

Apr 2013
Hahaido said:
I think it's not the main reason for low popularity of this contest. The theme itself - here's the reason. It's simple but it's really hard to suit requirements and make a list not just for the contest but a list that people would have really liked and will use themselves

true, also haven't celebrate halloween so didn't know ow it's ==a anyway thanks for extend, almost forgot to register :)
nd since i give up to make it scary list for reason, i'll try entering with the color schemes one. is red-ish purple allowed btw?

edit: enter w/ mangalist
KiokuzokuOct 31, 2015 10:55 AM

Oct 21, 2015 11:51 AM

Apr 2015
Kiokuzoku said:
is red-ish purple allowed btw?

I think they suit Halloween really well
Oct 21, 2015 1:06 PM

Feb 2010
Kiokuzoku said:
i'll try entering with the color schemes one. is red-ish purple allowed btw?

Well when Kineta and I decided on what would be allowed we settled on black/red or orange/black. Purple with black/red/orange colors are Halloween color schemes tho. But please understand I don't want to end up with a situation where say a purple/reddish layout that is otherwise not Halloween-related at all wins the Halloween layout contest.

Can you make it

red/black or
orangeish/purple

instead of reddish/purple? Or splash in some black and/or orange with the red and purple? That would be fine. Also, if you can show me the layout or a blueprint of it first I can ask for special allowance in your case.

Hahaido said:

So you are saying that people just don't like spooky themes and thats making it too difficult to make layouts for the contest?

There's been many list designs donated or shown off in my group with dark/red color schemes, Tokyo Ghoul, vampires like Alucard, etc. I can think of several recent ones right off the top of my head without even re-visiting the threads. So I was hoping that people would be able to apply the same creativity for a contest and see who could do that type of style the best. In the future tho, I'll make for much more time, more open themes, and also try to get rule 5 lifted
Shishio-kunOct 21, 2015 1:26 PM
Oct 22, 2015 2:54 AM

Jul 2013
okay I've just started browsing for images that I'm going to use for my list, and I have to ask for a "favour" - when the voting topic opens, is there a way to put images under spoilers or something like that? and put warnings for people who are afraid of some of the themes that can appear here?

personally, I have coulrophobia (extreme fear of clowns) and even the "friendly" looking ones really creep me out, so I wouldn't want to open someone's list and be traumatized (as I've been right now on google images).

maybe it's too much to ask, but I wanted to at least try.
Oct 23, 2015 12:37 AM

Feb 2010
nymphiae said:
okay I've just started browsing for images that I'm going to use for my list, and I have to ask for a "favour" - when the voting topic opens, is there a way to put images under spoilers or something like that? and put warnings for people who are afraid of some of the themes that can appear here?

personally, I have... and even the "friendly" looking ones really creep me out, so I wouldn't want to open someone's list and be traumatized (as I've been right now on google images)

Hmm well if a certain layout had images that ppl complained were too frightening and complained about a lot in topic then I guess they could be censored in some way in the display thread.
Oct 25, 2015 7:14 AM

Jan 2012
Entering with my current anime list
Oct 26, 2015 6:34 AM

Sep 2010
I'll join in! (I'm making it right now)
a) anime list
TsioxOct 28, 2015 8:26 AM
Oct 31, 2015 12:05 AM

May 2014
this design might be against rule no.5, it's my old layout I've made before the contest..
even worse, it's exactly the same layout which I entered before.

But, I've tried to redesign the table, change some images, and restyle the background,
but the mayor parts are still there, simply just because my design has already been fit for Halloween

whether I modified it or not, nobody would know,
because I haven't showed and shared it to anyone.

so ? XD
Oct 31, 2015 11:12 AM

Apr 2015
D_Cuy said:
this design might be against rule no.5, it's my old layout I've made before the contest..

But, I've tried to redesign the table, change some images, and restyle the background,
but the mayor parts are still there, simply just because my design has already been fit for Halloween

so ? XD

lol, I saw this design for the summer themed competition but you did a good job modifying it for Halloween
Oct 31, 2015 12:41 PM

Feb 2010
Tho I have a couple things to finish up, I am registering for the contest with my anime list!

D_Cuy said:

so ? XD

Yeah good work, its totally ok. You took a premade layout and retouched all the images so its perfectly in line with rule 5 as far as I see.

I can understand that it might seem odd or unfair to have the winning layout from last contest enter the next one with a reskin and in a worst case scenario the layout would win over and over- but I think that would be a good thing in a way since it'd be the "layout to beat"- thats a good motivation for competitors imo
Oct 31, 2015 10:07 PM

May 2014
SamPolus22 said:

lol, I saw this design for the summer themed competition but you did a good job modifying it for Halloween

ahaha, yea if you looked into my summer layout code, you would find this hidden layout, Kiokuzoku also found out this layout... XD

Shishio-kun said:

Yeah good work, its totally ok. You took a premade layout and retouched all the images so its perfectly in line with rule 5 as far as I see.

I can understand that it might seem odd or unfair to have the winning layout from last contest enter the next one with a reskin and in a worst case scenario the layout would win over and over- but I think that would be a good thing in a way since it'd be the "layout to beat"- thats a good motivation for competitors imo

yea I feel the same, it seems unfair... I was a bit disinterest and I thought it was good to just sit and cheer other participants. If nobody pushed me to enter, I wouldn't ask and didn't make any further modification.

And if it wasn't because of coincidence, I absolutely wouldn't have a single thought to enter. The black-red color scheme, bloody effect, full moon, and creepy background have already been there before this contest.. I'm kinda busy to make a whole new layout these days...

despite just a premade layout, but the graphics and images were also the toughest parts cause I made and modified all of them myself.. Even finding and modifying the cursor were not easy, I had to change it 4 times to have it a final form..
so I hope I wouldn't get an achievement because of "the layout", but more for its appearance ;)

thanks...

==============

so :D

- D_Cuy
- Anime List
Oct 31, 2015 10:43 PM

Feb 2010
So complete list of entrants:

nymphiae

rusette

Kiokuzoku

Hahaido

Tsiox

D_cuy

myself (Shishio-kun)

Hopefully I didn't miss anyone. Everything I seen so far is great work. I'm very happy with the designs that came out of everyone, more so that in any previous contest. But maybe its because I love Halloween so much? Anyways everyone else who registered seemed to not be able to make a new layout for the contest, but I hope to see them in the future for other events!

If anyone registers last minute tonight I will still accept, as its still the 31st for a while somewhere!

You can still work on your designs even thru voting week next week, but keep in mind a screenshot may be taken at anytime starting now. You can also ask to use your own screenshot or ask for a change, I'll try to accommodate
Shishio-kunOct 31, 2015 10:46 PM

More topics from this board

» Best Profile Design (January 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Feb 4

7 by batslimeman »»
Yesterday, 8:23 PM

» Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Nominations

Nate - Apr 1

7 by Nate »»
Apr 15, 11:52 AM

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (April 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

7 by _Ayase »»
Apr 15, 10:49 AM

» Best Profile Design (March 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

8 by Dyianaros »»
Apr 4, 4:58 PM

» FAL ace rule clarification

okthxbb - Apr 1

0 by okthxbb »»
Apr 1, 5:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.