Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 29, 2015 7:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh the small talk about PVP coming from Ainz...
Shaltear's rage was delicious though.

And the fight felt pretty fast and predictable. GG

At least some of the comedy was funny afterwards. Felt like a mixed season imo overall. It had some good moments and others that are easily forgettable and weird pacing.
Sep 29, 2015 8:26 AM

Jan 2013
Too many episodes wasted for barely watchable actions. Maybe they'll do better next time if it happens. Actually it reached the level that I don't even care.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Sep 29, 2015 8:36 AM

Sep 2013
After Charlotte's terrible ending..anything is a solid 10/10
rodacSep 29, 2015 9:25 PM
Sep 29, 2015 8:56 AM

Sep 2013
VanishingKira said:
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/648885254577651712

Delayed,OverLaugh xD

shitty joke I know

It's at a Special Time not delayed :P

And no sequel announcement? "sigh"
Sep 29, 2015 8:58 AM

Apr 2008
ichii_1 said:
VanishingKira said:

Delayed,OverLaugh xD

shitty joke I know

Sadly I don't think there will be any until stupid One Punch man craze blows over
Sep 29, 2015 8:59 AM

Sep 2013
VanishingKira said:

Delayed,OverLaugh xD

shitty joke I know
lololol
Sep 29, 2015 9:06 AM
Oct 2011
DawnJ said:
Too many episodes wasted for barely watchable actions. Maybe they'll do better next time if it happens. Actually it reached the level that I don't even care.
Pretty much how I feel,could've been great too.Its sad how the adaption was handled.

Also, they showed Lupus lol and with the most carefree expression as possible,didn't expect that.Thought we'd get to see the badass lizardmen maybe even Zaryusu.
Sep 29, 2015 9:12 AM

Apr 2013
Was promising at first, but it felt rushed and got boring since nothing major was happening. Too much talking.
Darklight0303 said:
ichii_1 said:

Sadly I don't think there will be any until stupid One Punch man craze blows over
well at least OPM looks good.. Overlord was Overall bad.
Sep 29, 2015 9:18 AM

Apr 2008
Sourire said:
Was promising at first, but it felt rushed and got boring since nothing major was happening. Too much talking.
Darklight0303 said:

I'll laugh if it end up failing as well.
Sep 29, 2015 9:20 AM
Mar 2012
Sourire said:
Darklight0303 said:

OPM looks good cause the budget is trillions times higher and its an manga/wn adaption instead of a heavy dialogue ln adaption and coupled with a simpler story to work with is enough for people too give a good score to OPM. BTW i think it will confirm a possible second season if Ainz and co talked about the lizard men in the end but idk if they did so can somebody confirm or not they talked about it?
Sep 29, 2015 10:39 AM
Feb 2013
Really good, I want a sequel!
Sep 29, 2015 10:43 AM

Jul 2015
It was pretty good although I wish there was more action
Sep 29, 2015 10:51 AM

Feb 2015
Nice ending. 9/10 (I don't even know what to say anymore from this episode. The battle just way too amazing, it was predictable tho.)
Season 2 please :D
Sep 29, 2015 11:02 AM

Jul 2009
Warbandit18 said:
OPM looks good cause the budget is trillions times higher...
Honestly, the budget of an anime doesn't really affect how good a show will be.

Additionally, I enjoyed the discussions throughout Overlord. It action didn't live up to people's expectations because it's an adventure-based anime. The discussions added quite a bit of context and realism to the situations. Anime in the action department very rarely maintain a level of realism and MCs ignore the important questions such as "why me?", "why can I gain powers from this [...]?" and the like. They sometimes show them trying to cope with their real life mixed with their new abilities but never try to evaluate the situation and actually live their life.

I do understand the complaint of too much talking and bad animators, but the animators is not the fault of the series. Likewise, how are you going to get information without hearing people talk. Ainz is not some omnipotent being that is able to read every creatures mind withing X-ft. of himself...
Sep 29, 2015 11:07 AM
Mar 2012
kyled00m said:
Warbandit18 said:

Additionally, I enjoyed the discussions throughout Overlord. It action didn't live up to people's expectations because it's an adventure-based anime. The discussions added quite a bit of context and realism to the situations. Anime in the action department very rarely maintain a level of realism and MCs ignore the important questions such as "why me?", "why can I gain powers from this [...]?" and the like. They sometimes show them trying to cope with their real life mixed with their new abilities but never try to evaluate the situation and actually live their life.

I do understand the complaint of too much talking and bad animators, but the animators is not the fault of the series. Likewise, how are you going to get information without hearing people talk. Ainz is not some omnipotent being that is able to read every creatures mind withing X-ft. of himself...

it kinda does for animation and as you can see the animation of OPM is really good while people in the beginning already were mad at the animation of overlord so i said its because of budget. I also said more thing about how good a show can be but my point was about the animation.
Sep 29, 2015 11:30 AM

Aug 2015
kyled00m said:
Warbandit18 said:

Thats funny cuz I see a great extent of realism in Overlord. What you said about the evaluation was done at the very first episode; Ainz tried to contact GM, failed, and then suddenly Albedo spoke. In any case, if somebody you thought for a long time was inanimate spoke, you wound see it as a threat and try to mitigate the danger,if anything, and thats exactly what he did; he tried to see if the situation resembles any trace in the virtual reality Yggdrasil he was in by conducting experiment in episode 1 and 2 because if so, then the threat(the servants) is under control, which solves the imminate danger. Thats the evaluation of the situation.

The anime only shows some of his inner monologue, but as a rational watcher, I can see he did question himself "why me" at some point tho.
Sep 29, 2015 2:15 PM

Mar 2010
half the ep is fighting : and wow that took alot of gold lol
Sep 29, 2015 3:02 PM

Sep 2008
kyled00m said:
Warbandit18 said:

Except it VERY much does. Animators, Key Animators, Designers, Special Affects Animators, etc are all paid. They are paid by work or time depending on company. If a company has low budget they cannot afford to pay for overtime, they can't afford to pay for "better" work which makes Quality Checking go way down especially if you have to pay ANOTHER person to fix shit others didn't do correctly.

I could go pretty far into this but bottom line is this. More money usually = Better animation. Only part that it doesn't consider if who is actually working there. If you got an amazing animator already working there...but even then it depends on there skill. There are people who have end products being amazing but they go through many rough sketches, many edits, many redos. Then you have people who don't produce as better work but they take 1/5'th of the time.
Sep 29, 2015 3:34 PM

Jul 2009
TheUnknownMerc said:
kyled00m said:
More money usually = Better animation.
I think we're on the same wavelength, but I feel lately that many companies animators have been slacking even being given the average pay, and the people down the line don't do much to correct it.

Don't get me wrong; ideally, better pay does mean better results, but I'm saying that you shouldn't hold your breath. Even if you pay someone 10x the going rate, they can still screw you.
Sep 29, 2015 4:02 PM

May 2013
kyled00m said:
Warbandit18 said:

Are you crazy or plain delusional?
Sep 29, 2015 4:30 PM

Jul 2009
mangamuscle said:
kyled00m said:
Are you crazy or plain delusional?
First, look up 1 post.
Next, rather than how much you pay someone you should consider how interested they are in the series. When it comes down to it, interest will always trump pay. People work because they have to, not because they want to.
Sep 29, 2015 4:30 PM
Jun 2015
It was alright.
Sep 29, 2015 4:32 PM

Jun 2014
We all knew Ainz was going to win but the rest of his battle with Shalltear was fun to watch.

So many things setting up for a second season, I wonder if Madhouse will actually consider doing a sequel. I feel like they're just teasing to get people to buy the LNs, but I'm more or less indifferent toward this getting a sequel. If it does, great, if not, I wouldn't really be mad. 6/10, not the worst thing I watched this season but not the best either.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 29, 2015 4:34 PM

May 2012
Pretty damn entertaining. A lotta confusion when it came to the skills and their effects, so i'll probably pick up the LN soon.

6.5 so I'll round up

Sep 29, 2015 4:36 PM

Nov 2012
overall not that bad... it was better than what I expected...
Sep 29, 2015 4:37 PM

Mar 2014
Holy.
SHIT.
SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LET ME WATCH THEM FIGHT.
Like the damn characters fighting didn't talk enough themselves now side characters have to come in and talk as well.
Here it is guys, your perfect adaption, woohoo, want to watch them fight? Lol nope because in the source the side characters stop it every other minute to explain what's happening because you know what, fuck you, that's what.
God's balls, who gives a shit about whether or not she might still have a chance to win because of her weapon and who gives a shit about the reason why that weapon won't work or how it works or anything.

Are you EXCITED yet? No? Oh, too bad.
Sep 29, 2015 4:46 PM

Oct 2010
Dat weapon swap spam :) Ains showing all the OP items.
I do get the feeling that people who arent accustomed to MMORPG have a hard time naturally understanding how some things work in this series.. The explaining that was done mid-fights didnt really bother me personally either..

I also would like to see a sequel really.
Untill then, i should read the novel a bit more.
Sep 29, 2015 4:50 PM

Mar 2014
barmar said:
Pretty much how I feel,could've been great too.Its sad how the adaption was handled.
"hur hur hur the source is much superior!"
Yeah, people are complaining how this is slow as shit and then people who read the source are like "so rushed!", man, I bet the source will have all the excitement this was lacking, that's what we've been missing guys, should have been reading the source for all the totally not pointless extra info, totally convinced right now.
Sep 29, 2015 4:59 PM

Jun 2009
The episode was enjoyable and the finish wasn't bad, overall I think the series was good. A bit of a rushed feeling for some things and a few missing scenes, but meh, it helped make Tuesdays fun.

Got a good laugh at Demiurge's face after Shalltear was saying her boobs were gone:

Sep 29, 2015 5:00 PM

Aug 2015
I enjoyed this series. Didn't enjoy the finale as much, but it was good overall imo. 7/10
Sep 29, 2015 5:00 PM

Oct 2012
Sasuga Ainz-sama. Now I really want a second season.
Sep 29, 2015 5:10 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Regardless of the pacing of this last arc I still liked it a lot and overall the MMO elements were handled really well

Gonna miss these characters :(
Sep 29, 2015 5:10 PM

Apr 2014
7/10 for the series. The quality dropped after episode 5 w/e that village arc was.
Sep 29, 2015 5:12 PM

Mar 2014
Mid-fight info dumps are pretty much the bane of every interesting fight scene. Madhouse should not be adapting LN's, leave that to J.C Staff instead. Btw, what kind of Supreme Being are you when you have to use around 10 cash items, 20 buffs and all your MP to defeat one of your underlings.
Lenient 8/10, still more entertaining than Shit Fart Online.

Sep 29, 2015 5:16 PM
May 2014
I'm kind of sad its over.. I don't see them adapting the whole thing no matter if it gets another season or two..although it would've been very nice if they did.
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Sep 29, 2015 5:23 PM

Aug 2013
7/10

Would love to see Volume 7 adaptation.
Sep 29, 2015 5:27 PM

Aug 2012
Away I go to read the LN.
Sep 29, 2015 5:28 PM
Jun 2010
Merkk said:
Mid-fight info dumps are pretty much the bane of every interesting fight scene. Madhouse should not be adapting LN's, leave that to J.C Staff instead. Btw, what kind of Supreme Being are you when you have to use around 10 cash items, 20 buffs and all your MP to defeat one of your underlings.
Lenient 8/10, still more entertaining than Shit Fart Online.

The Pay-to-Win kind, lmao.
Sep 29, 2015 5:29 PM

Feb 2015
Pretty good conclusion, but this series is just way too short and slow-paced (though the pacing is probably due to it's source). By itself I think this anime is just incomplete, and while the premise has potential, it wasn't fulfilled at all in just these thirteen episodes.

Hopefully we get a second season, or I may read the novels.
Sep 29, 2015 5:31 PM

Oct 2007
Sequel or not, I kinda wish they'd make more shows similar to this. I'm pretty tired of the goody-hero ones.
Sep 29, 2015 5:35 PM

Jul 2015
They didn't show the lizardmen at all. Hope to see it animated soon.

Only at Vol 4 we start to see a more evil overlord side from Ainz.
Sep 29, 2015 5:36 PM

Jun 2008
I kind of disliked it how, after like 10 episodes, they went on and used MMO jargon without holding back at all. (Also, how after about 5 episodes, the NPC management panels that weren't responding suddenly appeared again (with no explanation or transition, just there, bang))

Also, the whole infodump of the "things that are going on, and will be animated in the second season if we get funded so please rate us highly, buy our shit and stuff, prettyplease!" was jarring... Aside from one or two things, it was utterly useless to boot. I would have much rather seen Demiurge chewing the lamprey out, a shoved in swimsuit half-episode or Momon taking a shower for those last 10 minutes...

Anyways... Ultimately, I enjoyed the show, and while I wouldn't have minded a far better ending, it was still decent enough to watch through.

On a final note, I'm utterly shocked, that a game like Ygdrassil could have stayed alive on the MMO market for 12 years... I mean, a cash-shop that sells items that allow you to insta-cast minute-long channel-time spells? Aside from a few thousand kids that use their parent's money, nobody would stick around a game like that, no matter how good it is.
Sep 29, 2015 5:36 PM

Aug 2014
Damn, Lord Ainz is OP!!! He planned everything out and attack at the right time like a Lion preying on a Gazelle.

Albedo is beautiful....... and deadly lol

I would like to see a Season 2 since it some things opened in the ending

PS: I am looking for the guy who posts a summary about the current episode in the light novel, Thank you :D

Rating: 8/10 (Love and Passion), Peace out Guys!!
Sep 29, 2015 5:45 PM

Jan 2008
Pretty disappointed in that. Ainz said the most important thing in PvP is deceiving the other player with false information. Well from the looks of it, it seems to be who spends more of cash items.

Well, regardless, the show was still enjoyable... I guess.
Sep 29, 2015 5:49 PM
Feb 2015
Wish this was a 24 ep run so it wouldn't feel so rushed. Hopefully there is a second season to make up for it!
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Sep 29, 2015 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
Could have been way worse,thank god it wasn't another SAO. 7.5/10 "at least it has a better ending than that steins;gate wannabe clusterfuck with an ending so rushed it made deen's f/sn ubw pacing look 5x better"
Sep 29, 2015 5:51 PM

Apr 2011
was expecting a longer fight, but I guess teasing the viewers was what they were really after.
Sep 29, 2015 5:58 PM

Jun 2015
Merkk said:
Btw, what kind of Supreme Being are you when you have to use around 10 cash items, 20 buffs and all your MP to defeat one of your underlings.

sounds pretty normal to me. That's kinda how most MMORPGs work you know? Every important fight has to make you spend tons of cash items, otherwise the dev can't squeeze money out of you. Some mmorpgs get to the point where everyone on the leaderboards is guzzling cash items for EVERYTHING, just because that makes them do whatever it is they do faster, i.e. they can get further ahead of the others.
Sep 29, 2015 6:01 PM

Apr 2012
Pay2win confirmed? xP

Pretty good adaption even though they skipped a few parts here and there but opening and ending were good enough to compensate for that.
Sep 29, 2015 6:01 PM

Oct 2014
I hope we get a 2nd season
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2015

282 by Raphaela28 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

368 by mustiest »»
Apr 17, 8:09 PM

» Why do people compare this show to SAO? ( 1 2 )

arc1only - Jan 8

58 by Reevansingh21 »»
Mar 31, 3:47 PM

» Why is shalltear stronger than Ainz??

SkyVongolaPrimo - Oct 20, 2015

16 by janreycampo »»
Mar 27, 10:22 AM

» Why couldn't Ainz defeat Shalltear easily?

Complexor - Dec 13, 2015

14 by janreycampo »»
Mar 27, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.