Forum Settings
Forums

'Gakusen Toshi Asterisk' Announced to Air in Split Cours

New
Sep 28, 2015 9:01 PM

Nov 2011
The cast of the Fall 2015 anime Gakusen Toshi Asterisk (The Asterisk War) announced on Sunday that the series will be split into two separate cours of 12 episodes each. The second cours will air in Spring 2016. The announcement was made during the Niconico Live program Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Meeting.

The series is an adaptation of the light novel written by Yuu Miyazaki and illustrated by okiura. It began publishing in September 2012 and currently has nine volumes in print by Media Factory.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk begins airing on October 3.

Source: Niconico Live

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season on MAL
arsonalNov 17, 2015 6:20 PM
Sep 28, 2015 9:15 PM

Jul 2013
Glad for the fans and let's hope A-1 can keep up that high production value with this being split-cour. Seems like AMA by Silver-Link and Heavy Object by J.C Staff might be split-cours too so these three will probably be going at it again next Spring.
EasyGo-erSep 28, 2015 9:22 PM

Sep 28, 2015 9:20 PM
Oct 2010
They did this a service by changing the character designs.
Sep 28, 2015 9:25 PM

Nov 2011
EasyGo-er said:
Glad for the fans and let's hope A-1 can keep up that high production value with this being split-cour. Seems like AMA by Silver-Link and Heavy Object by J.C Staff might be split-cours too so these three will probably be going at it again next Spring.

Yeah HO is likely as well. Seems to be a common trend of recently.
Sep 28, 2015 9:26 PM
Aug 2012
Cool, looking forward to it. The same thing might happen with AntiMagic Academy 35th Test Platoon (Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai).
Sep 28, 2015 9:48 PM

Sep 2013
It's for the best, sucks to wait but whatever.
Sep 28, 2015 9:49 PM

Mar 2013
EasyGo-er said:
Seems like AMA by Silver-Link and Heavy Object by J.C Staff might be split-cours too so these three will probably be going at it again next Spring.

And I picked all three of these shows. This bodes well for my team (even though other shows will likely do better in the end).

FAL FALL 2015 YOU ARE MINE HA HA HA
Sep 28, 2015 10:24 PM

Jul 2014
Pretty cool, but what is the obsession with making everything split-cour rather than simply making something 2-cour in one go? It seems to be becoming more and more of a recent trend, and I don't get why.
Sep 28, 2015 10:34 PM

Aug 2015
HYPE for this show
Sep 28, 2015 10:37 PM

Mar 2013
splits are a trend, huh?

for me, i feel like they are giving trial versions of anime. if you liked the first half, might as well go check the second half. if not, just ignore the rest.

i think it's a budget issue too. other than that, maybe a schedule or preparation strategy.

Sep 28, 2015 10:48 PM
Apr 2015
okay boss
Sep 28, 2015 11:28 PM
May 2015
FUCK YEAH

that means we get a double harem/ecchi for both this year and next year
Sep 28, 2015 11:52 PM

Sep 2014
I hate split cours...
Sep 29, 2015 12:14 AM

Jun 2014
Meh
:3
Sep 29, 2015 12:33 AM

Apr 2009
Oh no, two times the cancer....
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Sep 29, 2015 1:02 AM

Apr 2015
LittleCr0wxx said:
FUCK YEAH

that means we get a double harem/ecchi for both this year and next year

i like the sound of that
Sep 29, 2015 1:02 AM

Jul 2012
I prefer split cours to delays, it works better this way but I'm not sure about flow..
I wasn't too interested in this for the Fall season, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Sep 29, 2015 1:09 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Yay... I guess?

Bit hard to know if I'm supposed to be hyped or not without knowing how good/bad the show will turn out yet
Sep 29, 2015 1:54 AM

Jan 2014
danieltortoisee said:
Pretty cool, but what is the obsession with making everything split-cour rather than simply making something 2-cour in one go? It seems to be becoming more and more of a recent trend, and I don't get why.

It allows companies for higher more consistent animation quality. If the first cour was good, it also lets more people find out about the show in between the two cours, and builds more hype.
Sep 29, 2015 3:26 AM

Jan 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Yay... I guess?

Bit hard to know if I'm supposed to be hyped or not without knowing how good/bad the show will turn out yet

Ecchi harem light novel taking place at a magical highschool.
We are in for a 2-cour treat of quality fiction.
Get hyped

Sep 29, 2015 4:11 AM

May 2014
like your common RomComs LN
but the graphics on the anime looks awesome
reading has mahouka,serei tsukai feels
Sep 29, 2015 4:14 AM

Sep 2015
Yay i guess.......

Lies are full
of endless possibilies.
Sep 29, 2015 4:35 AM

Oct 2007
Miragee said:
I hate split cours...

It used to be you'd expect to see 25+25 for stuff like Gundam 00 or Code Geass back when you could reasonably expect to see an anime series run 50 episodes, at least that's when I first remember it becoming a thing. Now the 12+12 split cour thing just fucks up the pacing and tends to create tonal dissonance and pointless time skips in shows pretty much always. With the amount of stuff that A-1 is crapping out nowadays though and just their general operating conditions the whole production on some shows would probably seize up if it didn't do this though and even then it kind of still does.
Sep 29, 2015 5:01 AM

Apr 2013
eehh,not a fan of this split-cour trend because:
1. I'm not sure if I should look at it as 1 complete series or 2 seperate seasons (especially if the split gets announced right away) it makes rating the show harder.
2. I prefer watching series when they finish airing,so having to wait 3 extra months kind of sucks.
3. Due to the split,the creators can do some lazy timeskips and stuff between the cours making it a weird "not-quite-sequel, but doesn't continue where the first cour ended either" type of thing.
4. it fills up 1 timeslot from an upcoming season with something that isn't new.
5. It kind of boost the advertisement nature of anime even more,like no one is willing to take the risk to make 24+ episodes in one go; only playing it safe,everything needs to be backed with advertising.

That being said, I'd still rather watch split-cour anime than no anime at all. I guess it does have a lot of pro's for the studios. (like having a better budget and also more time to make later episodes) + they can use the time between cours to build hype and advertise. So as much as I personally dislike split-cours,if it helps the industry then its ok.
Sep 29, 2015 7:40 AM

Jan 2015
Oh c'mon...
Sep 29, 2015 7:51 AM

Sep 2012
Sounds like shit.
Sep 29, 2015 8:49 AM

Sep 2014
more julis hypeeee
Sep 29, 2015 8:50 AM

Jan 2008
Not expecting much but with at least 24 episodes, it might actually get somewhere unlike other generic LN adaptions.
Sep 29, 2015 8:57 AM

Oct 2013
Miragee said:
I hate split cours...

I get the feeling its gonna be same dull crap we been getting for the past few years. Summary seems generic enough and yet I'm still gonna watch this. The stupidity is off the charts!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Sep 29, 2015 10:27 AM
May 2015
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Miragee said:
I hate split cours...

It used to be you'd expect to see 25+25 for stuff like Gundam 00 or Code Geass back when you could reasonably expect to see an anime series run 50 episodes, at least that's when I first remember it becoming a thing. Now the 12+12 split cour thing just fucks up the pacing and tends to create tonal dissonance and pointless time skips in shows pretty much always. With the amount of stuff that A-1 is crapping out nowadays though and just their general operating conditions the whole production on some shows would probably seize up if it didn't do this though and even then it kind of still does.

What is your beef with A-1 I know your an avid gundam fan so I don't need the whole they try to be rival gundam but a real reason why your not a fan.
Sep 30, 2015 12:20 AM

Apr 2009
Well, A-1 is pretty much crap when it comes to anything that contains action and their cooperation with Aniplex led to tons of rushed, mediocre to bad anime...
Their shows almost never have any lasting impact writing or direction wise outside of the strengths of the source material, they are really bad when it comes down to bringing material to life - and yet, they massproduce. A-1 are the personification of mediocre adaptions at this point, along with the usual LN-focussed studios like 8bit, but these are even worse.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Sep 30, 2015 5:49 AM

Jun 2014
Better production values I guess.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Oct 1, 2015 2:59 AM

Aug 2013
I hate split cours, but I guess this will be a good thing.

They announced this in America first, so they are clearly trying to not disappoint with the budget they put into this. Rakudai Cavalry looks pretty damn good too in terms of productions values, but Asterisk manages to blow it out of the water.

We're getting a decent amount of episodes even if they're split, so that's good. And with the staff and production values they're kind of touting it as the next (if not better than) Mahouka Irregular. So we'll see.

IndigoBangarang said:
eehh,not a fan of this split-cour trend because:
1. I'm not sure if I should look at it as 1 complete series or 2 seperate seasons (especially if the split gets announced right away) it makes rating the show harder.
2. I prefer watching series when they finish airing,so having to wait 3 extra months kind of sucks.
3. Due to the split,the creators can do some lazy timeskips and stuff between the cours making it a weird "not-quite-sequel, but doesn't continue where the first cour ended either" type of thing.
4. it fills up 1 timeslot from an upcoming season with something that isn't new.
5. It kind of boost the advertisement nature of anime even more,like no one is willing to take the risk to make 24+ episodes in one go; only playing it safe,everything needs to be backed with advertising.

That being said, I'd still rather watch split-cour anime than no anime at all. I guess it does have a lot of pro's for the studios. (like having a better budget and also more time to make later episodes) + they can use the time between cours to build hype and advertise. So as much as I personally dislike split-cours,if it helps the industry then its ok.

5 might actually be a good thing. If the advertising leads to sales that's always a plus. Since sales seems to be something anime is getting lately #RIPManglobe
Oct 9, 2015 10:22 AM
May 2015
I'm really disappointed..
Oct 9, 2015 10:24 AM

Jul 2012
Red_Keys said:
Sounds like shit.
it is shit
Oct 9, 2015 10:50 AM

Aug 2014
Well, maybe it will look more original in the Spring than it does now where there's another anime that looks just like it.
Oct 9, 2015 10:51 AM

Jul 2012
JayBlue said:
Well, maybe it will look more original in the Spring than it does now where there's another anime that looks just like it.
there's always an anime that looks just like this.
Oct 16, 2015 8:28 PM

Jul 2013
Well since it's gonna be 24 episodes instead of the usual 12 episodes for these kind of anime, I hope it evolves into something more than just harem/ecchi.
Oct 25, 2015 2:52 AM

Apr 2008
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry deserves season 2 than this show
Oct 25, 2015 3:32 AM
Aug 2012
Neko_Damashi said:

Nope.

Oct 28, 2015 4:03 AM

Jul 2007
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Neko_Damashi said:

Nope.

Actually yes it does.

Cavalry at least is creative, has an actual good romance and the lead you can cheer for(and fight scenes that actually look great).
Asterisk is just another harem LN adaptation.

Frankly in a fair and better world, Cavalry would have Asterisk's budget and would be 2 cour.
Oct 28, 2015 4:49 AM
Aug 2012
CookingPriest said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

Nope.

Actually yes it does.

Cavalry at least is creative, has an actual good romance and the lead you can cheer for(and fight scenes that actually look great).

Frankly in a fair and better world, Cavalry would have Asterisk's budget and would be 2 cour.

Nope........Rakudai getting a second season has nothing to do with Asterisk. "Deserves" is subjective and having read both LNs, i would put Asterisk above. I will be honest......Rakudai fans are being way too petty as they continue to berate Asterisk time and again.

The only uncommon thing Rakudai did is establish a couple right at the start.........but it's still a normal action-romance show with a linearstory. People who tried to say Rakudai is much more than that didn't present much evidence in their case and once you get past the emotional moment of the fights, you will see the issues.

Asterisk starts out slow but it gets better as the series progresses. The story and development is pretty good as well. It has a over reaching plot, most of the characters are involved in the story and they get some pretty good development. It's anything but a typical harem..........there isn't even that much fan service after volume 1.

Also let's be honest, you are partially biased towards Rakudai because of Oonuma Shin. You don't even know whether Rakudai will get a second season or not, so it's simply pointless and quite unfair to bash Asterisk like this. Sadly, a lot of people are doing it continuously.
Dragon_Slayer_XOct 28, 2015 4:57 AM

Oct 28, 2015 5:01 AM

Jul 2007
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
CookingPriest said:

Actually yes it does.

Nope........Rakudai getting a second season has nothing to do with Asterisk. "Deserves" is subjective and having read both LNs, i would put Asterisk above. I will be honest......Rakudai fans are being way too petty as they continue to berate Asterisk time and again.

The only uncommon thing Rakudai did is establish a couple right at the start.........but it's still a normal action-romance show with a linearstory. People who tried to say Rakudai is much more than that didn't present much evidence in their case and once you get past the emotional moment of the fights, you will see the issues.

Asterisk starts out slow but it gets better as the series progresses. The story and development is pretty good as well. It has a over reaching plot, most of the characters are involved in the story and they get some pretty good development. It's anything but a typical harem..........there isn't even that much fan service after volume 1.

Also let's be honest, you are partially biased towards Rakudai because of Oonuma Shin. You don't even know whether Rakudai will get a second season or not, so it's simply pointless and quite unfair to bash Asterisk like this. Sadly, a lot of people are doing it continuously.

Cavalry wins out because it feels far more self-aware. Its like narrative KNOWS that it is an LN, while Asterisk plays it completely straight and srs. The comparison between the "seeing someone naked" scenes tells it all.

The MC of Cavalry is also more likeable. Its always easier to cheer for an underdog who has to prove himself instead of "omg I am so overpowered that I just can't be arsed, otherwise I would be new god" MC of Asterisk.

The fact that Cavalry did not have the cringe on the level of that fight in the latest Asterisk episode also helps (
).

Asterisk feels a lot more by-the-book Mahouka-look-alike which is a big NOPE for me.
Cavalry on other hand feels fresher and also the writers of anime seem to be modifying parts of it to make it even less LN-y than it already is.

Also yes, actually NOT being a harem is helpful thing, as is having Oonuma Shin direct the action sequences.

So yes, Cavalry deserves it more because at least I can see good in it. I have yet to see a reason to continue watching Asterisk after these four episodes.
AhenshihaelOct 28, 2015 5:07 AM
Oct 28, 2015 5:22 AM
Aug 2012
CookingPriest said:

Cavalry wins out because it feels far more self-aware. Its like narrative KNOWS that it is an LN, while Asterisk plays it completely straight and srs. The comparison between the "seeing someone naked" scenes tells it all.

The MC of Cavalry is also more likeable. Its always easier to cheer for an underdog who has to prove himself instead of "omg I am so overpowered that I just can't be arsed, otherwise I would be new god" MC of Asterisk.

Also yes, actually NOT being a harem is helpful thing, as is having Oonuma Shin direct the action sequences

The fact that Cavalry did not have the cringe on the level of that fight in the latest Asterisk episode also helps (
). Asterisk feels a lot more by-the-book Mahouka-look-alike which is a big NOPE for me.

Dude please, stop changing scenes for your own convenience.

And it's easy to cheer for the under dog but after the cheering ends it becomes much like "Power of Love and Efforts".........not a bad hing though but not a good thing bring about for bashing other shows.

In Asterisk, there are way more powerful people than the MC even with his unsealed state so no he is not "OMG OP Gary Stu" kind of MC. Also he can handle rough situations quite calmly instead of resorting to violence right at the start.........like it or not, that's a fact already shown multiple times. The limitation doesn't make the battles easy either.

Also anybody with a functioning brain could understand why the MC carried around his waifu instead of some stupid comment.

CookingPriest said:

So yes, Cavalry deserves it more because at least I can see good in it. I have yet to see a reason to continue watching Asterisk after these four episodes.

This isn't a thread about which deserve a second season and "I can see good in it" doesn't help since it's still subjective opinion. Nobody is telling you to watch Asterisk but this complaining is pointless as well.

Sigh whatever, whether you like it or not doesn't matter. Asterisk was already announced as 2 course and people whining won't change anything and there is absolute no reason to bash it because Rakudai got only 1 course for now. It's just Rakudai fans having issues and being petty...........nothing else. If the sales are good, it will get another season since there is enough material.
Dragon_Slayer_XOct 28, 2015 5:27 AM

Oct 28, 2015 6:26 AM

Aug 2013
CookingPriest said:

).

Asterisk feels a lot more by-the-book Mahouka-look-alike which is a big NOPE for me.
Cavalry on other hand feels fresher and also the writers of anime seem to be modifying parts of it to make it even less LN-y than it already is.

Also yes, actually NOT being a harem is helpful thing, as is having Oonuma Shin direct the action sequences.

After 4 episodes I feel they're both OP. They also have something that prevents them from being OP 24/7.

Cavalry has some cringe scenes too.

Both show has problems. I still like them both. I hope Cavalry gets a second season.
Oct 28, 2015 8:17 AM

Jul 2007
garydai said:

After 4 episodes I feel they're both OP. They also have something that prevents them from being OP 24/7.

Well I prefer " I might not have sheer power but I have tactics, planning and hard work and what restricts me is circumstacnces" than "I am basically god but since I am lazy I do nothing"

Cavalry has some cringe scenes too.

I keep waiting for Asterisk to surprise me and it is surprising for me on just how much weight A1 is putting behind it...
Oct 28, 2015 9:04 AM
Aug 2012
CookingPriest said:

Well I prefer " I might not have sheer power but I have tactics, planning and hard work and what restricts me is circumstacnces" than "I am basically god but since I am lazy I do nothing"

So much biased BS......did you miss the scene where he went out early in the morning in the second episode? I guess they have to show that at every episode to say that he has his own daily routine that he doesn't neglect it. Or did you miss that he was in a dojo in his flashbacks or the name of his style? Ayato didn't learn techniques because he is God but because he trained in his family style.

Even when his powers are heavily restricted he managed to hold on his own for some time in the first episode, managed to deflect an surprise attack at point blank range and managed to locate Yabuki even among the crowd. That comes from experience and training not your shitty reasoning of "I am God". Keep missing these details for your own convenience.

For someone praising Rakudai so much for details, you sure miss obvious things in Asterisk. Shitty bias running rampant again, as expected from Fai. Lastly Asterisk is slow-paced, stop jumping to conclusions when you conveniently miss small details.
Dragon_Slayer_XOct 28, 2015 9:36 AM

Jan 26, 2016 8:41 PM
Jan 2016
what will be the last volume of gakusen ? or it will have 20+ light novel volume ?
Jan 26, 2016 10:05 PM
Jan 2016
how many light novel volume it will be the gakusen ? any1 know ?
Mar 28, 2016 4:59 AM
Mar 2016
I can't wait to air it on April 2

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
4 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.