Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 26, 2015 11:15 AM

Sep 2015
Katsuruka said:
raveninthemuddle said:
A predictable and very painful end to a three-month long humiliation and frustration for almost everyone. I'd like to imagine that's what Jun Maeda's inner thoughts are after the boardcast; It's so painful! I've had enough of this! Why does it have to be me? It's so difficult. I'm tired. I don't wanna do this anymore. And you know what, if Jun Maeda is an anime character, he might as well be a whiny, mopey, unimaginative, callow, very unsophisticated, narrow-minded, inconsiderate, attention-seeking, talentless, deceptive, manipulative, insensitive and vengeful teenage boy who wields awesome power on a self-proclaimed journey to save the world but ended up causing more miseries than before. Maybe the real Jun Maeda is not anything like that, and I'm now just steaming out the resentment I have from watching this monstrosity, but you are the architect of your creation, no matter how or what it fails it does tell something about yourself in one way or another.

Will get better after Angel Beats! ? No, in this case it's not " let's forgive but do not forget", you've proven there's also no forgive.

Really not sure where you're getting this from. The main issue I'm seeing with Charlotte is that it should never have been a 13 episode anime, and I have no idea how much say Maeda actually got in that. But yea, each to their own opinion.

When will people learn that they can't fit 24+ episodes of plot and characterization into 12-13 episode series?

Feb 2015
What a great finale. I had chills down my spine throughout the whole episode. So glad he made it back safely but he did lose his memories witch kind of sucks... Great anime! Hopefully we get more like it
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Jun 2014
Charlotte is the best anime in this season !
Sep 26, 2015 11:19 AM

Feb 2012
I'd say it was a pretty nice finale, as for the series, first couple of episodes were kinda repetitive, but later on it got better, loved the main chars group except for Nao, but it is what it is.
AversaSep 26, 2015 1:14 PM

Dec 2014
predictible but even so it was great :D

Jan 2013
PeacefulWard said:
Katsuruka said:

Really not sure where you're getting this from. The main issue I'm seeing with Charlotte is that it should never have been a 13 episode anime, and I have no idea how much say Maeda actually got in that. But yea, each to their own opinion.

When will people learn that they can't fit 24+ episodes of plot and characterization into 12-13 episode series?

This is an original anime, it's their fault for pacing. It was a predictable ending for a predictable show, somewhat enjoyable but still meh.
Sep 26, 2015 11:20 AM

Aug 2015
Happy ending.... never spected this, Maeda failed again 6.5/10 for me
Sep 26, 2015 11:20 AM

Nov 2011
This was supposed to make up for Angel Beats? In all honesty this anime would have got an 9/10 quite possibly a 10/10 in my opinion just because I liked the story line. Then the last episode comes...80% of it is fantastic...THE ENDING IS COMPLETE SHIT! "Sorry who are you?" Dammit that so damn cliched now. Maybe have something like "Don't forget me" on the Last Flash Card and have Tomari's name which jogs Yu's memory and Bam he remembers her...everyones crying everyone's happy BUT NO We get typical "Who are you?" ending. 7/10 in my opinion thanks to this SHIT ending.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 26, 2015 11:21 AM

Jun 2011
Wtf was that ending lol >.>

6/10 overall
Sep 26, 2015 11:23 AM
Jun 2014
Gosh, just watched the ep subbed, Yuu is an idiot, why he didn't heal his damn eye? He could just have heal it and simply not use the time leap If he didn't want to. Meh I guess being one-eyed is cool in Japan?
Sep 26, 2015 11:24 AM

Aug 2010
I really enjoyed Charlotte overall but it felt like a weak story overall. Maybe it would've been a lot better if it was 24 episodes. I sensed potential in the start of the series but it didn't live up to it. Maeda's weakest work so far from the one's I've experienced. Glad Nao and Yuu will be together but he had to lose his memories....now Nao is the one that will have to wait for his feelings towards her.

Jun Maeda you really need to learn from Eiji Mikage. Why make such a rushed series... really disappointed with Maeda. Don't see him coming up with anything close to Refrain ever again.
AversaSep 26, 2015 1:15 PM
Sep 26, 2015 11:26 AM

Feb 2012
Every episode in the second half was so different than the last, such a mess
Sep 26, 2015 11:29 AM

Jul 2014
I really liked the finale but it was admittedly too convenient and anticlimactic. By presenting some clips of Yuu and how he acted in various countries was kind of exciting, but definitely rushed. This is because the entire plot of taking everyone's abilities could have definitely spanned a couple of episodes more, especially since there was a lack of focus on the immediate dangers, close calls, or enemies/rivals Yuu meets but rather his progression to a monster as he almost stops caring. The only time he was in danger with the arrows, it felt like the cop out considering the fact that his brother at that same moment was able to find and save him.

I liked seeing Yuu use the powers that he plundered but the anime definitely did not show the full scale of his power. I would have loved to see him become a god like he said, but I don't blame the writers for that because Charlotte did not have that focus nor is is an action shounen. Even so, Yuu keeping the note cards made by Nao was a really unrealistic and cliched way to prevent him from straying to that path.

Despite the flaws, it was a good finale that was exciting to watch. It even left on a heartwarming note where Nao wants to make more memories with Yuu and the others to make up for the memories he lost. The moral the anime is trying to portray is there: even without an ability or supernatural power, you can still enjoy life. It's going back to it's original point: humans do not need to use unnatural powers despite how useful they might be for it will only bring more conflict in the long run. In that sense, Charlotte did a fantastic job with the ending. Even with all the power in the world, Yuu was not happy. He only felt genuine joy and love when he was with the people he cared about.

My final thoughts of the anime: great main character (even if he feels shallow at times), some good use of plot device to connect with viewers, plot holes and at times stale writing, some sadly unexplored characters, stunning animation, beautiful music and opening sequence, and overall, a good presentation of anime with its uplifting message.
raisa864Sep 26, 2015 11:38 AM
Sep 26, 2015 11:34 AM

Dec 2010
Wow that was awful.

It was really cool how OP he got with his abilities, but still. Awful ending. Mediocre anime. 6/10
Sep 26, 2015 11:34 AM

Feb 2014
lmao that engrish had me dying xD

As for the show. Yeah dissapointing. Seriously Maeda you said this would be better than Angel Beats, especially because you said you would focus on the characters more. So you did that by spending the first 6 episodes on them however only 2/4-5 of them actually got used in the later part in the story and then guess what, you bring in a whole squad of new characters that barely got any developement (minus Yu's bro a little). The story got too random and I couldn't tell what direction Maeda was going for, was it a comedy? slice of life? romance? a tear jerker? super power action anime? LIKE WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHOW?!?!? ugh.

despite all this, I'll give the show a 7/10. Despite how fustrated I am with it, I can't deny that it was enjoyable. It did have some interesting ideas and the characters were pretty good (at least Yu and Nao). It did also end off pretty nicely so thats a plus.
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Sep 26, 2015 11:35 AM

May 2015
My vote from 8 down to 7/10

Ecchi Desu

Sep 26, 2015 11:38 AM

Jun 2014
Honestly this was an underwhelming ending and an underwhelming anime overall. Also, dat Engrish. *cringe*

The second half of this anime was so rushed. From Yuu recovering from Ayumi's death in one episode, to the last 3 or 4 episodes being a clusterfuck of rushed events, it just felt like it was nowhere near as good as it could have been. Also, Yuu and Nao becoming lovers out of seemingly nowhere....there was barely any buildup for their relationship. Like others were saying, you can't fit 2 cours worth of material into 1 cour.

Also, how did Yuu's brother and everyone else just know where he was when they went to rescue him? And remember when he asked Sala about her blindness and she said "she atoned for her sins"? Did they ever explain that? And why was Nao being picked on and bullied in that one episode? Does anyone know if they answered any of these questions, did I miss something?

And the comedy as we all know was hit-or-miss pretty much. Especially that "such a turnoff" joke. That got old really fast. And how the episode right after Yuu recovered from Ayumi's death had a bunch of comedy stuff like nothing bad ever happened. Anyway, 5/10, this series could have been much better. People were so hyped literally only because of the fact that Maeda's name was attached to this, but it didn't live up to its potential.
AversaSep 26, 2015 1:17 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 2013
there goes the worst anime of the season and probably the year
Jul 2018
Are you sure it was Jun Maeda? Are you completely sure? I don't know. Happy endings are not really his thing. I loved it though.
Sep 26, 2015 11:39 AM
Mar 2008
What a fucking trainwreck.
Sep 26, 2015 11:41 AM

Sep 2015
raid everything on everywhere with no help
with this another God tier MC was born

why zhiend vocal cure nao bro?, yu already forget everything except his promise how/why they can meet?
and where yu get all the money for travel?

its was ok ed for me
AversaSep 26, 2015 1:14 PM
Into the Internet!

Apr 2010
Thread cleaned

All posts about Rewrite removed,
This thread is about Charlotte episode 13 and not about Rewrite, they on topic please
For those that want to talk about the news about Rewrite you can use this thread http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1432366.
For those that want to make a thread about Rewrite that isn't related to news you can make it in this board http://myanimelist.net/forum/?animeid=31716
AversaSep 26, 2015 12:06 PM

Aug 2015
goosebumps :o

This was the anime that made me start watching more animes.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=67029][url]
Sep 26, 2015 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
It was a very good series.

The ending was okay. Good to see that Yu came back safely.
Sep 26, 2015 11:44 AM
Jun 2015
After this episode, I can say one thing: I have very mixed opinions on this show.
Why? Because this episode was flat out amazing. Sure, the very end was nothing special but the rest of it, it was great.
How could such a show with such rushed pacing and a number of terrible episodes come off with such a beautiful final episode? I know it's key but..
A way that this series could have done better is to..
-Have the focus be Nao and Yuu's relationship since it was really rushed and could have ruined this episode.
-Have the other side of the focus be the darkest ways the abilities could have been used. Sure, there were bad things shown but they never got focus. Nao's brother went bananas because of his powers? This pointless character who we set up as interesting but only contributed once and never appeared again fixed that. Ayumi died? Well, Yuu meets his brother who has time travel abilities. Why couldn't Ayumi stay dead? Why couldn't Nao's brother remain crazy? Why couldn't we get an episode where Yuu tries to help someone who is corrupted by their abilities, but in the end, fails? Wouldn't that make this episode more impactful?
-Take out the side characters. No Yusa, no Misa(Even though I like Misa), no Takajou, none of Shun's friends/assistants/whatever you want to call them, no Sala, remove the characters who were only there to create filler in episode 4 and - The only side characters that could have been there were Shun(With the whole "who is he" arc, just make him Yuu's brother), Ayumi(Except she would die), Kumagami(Because he's a plot device as much as I like his character), and.. Well, whoever was actually needed.
-Take out the sudden plot twists. Sure, the yandere girl had build up so I can forgive that a little, but we need to take out the whole terrorist thing. Why not have Kumagami die differently because of his abilities? Or maybe make it Shun's fault so he could be more depressed and Yu would have more motivation in this episode.
-Remove the filler episode and use it for better pacing and character development. Make Yu and Nao interact more. Get to know each other better. Make their bond stronger.
-Take out the out of tone comedy. Yes, there can be comedy. Angel Beats worked while having comedy around every corner and so did Clannad and Rewrite. However, the comedy here is the same comedy so it's only going to work for certain tastes and it's in scenes that make no sense. I'm surprised there wasn't a joke in that scene where Ayumi dies. It's strange because in key, the tone shifts from dark, depressing, scary and funny are handled superbly, but here, it's all over the place. Sure, episode 2 and 3 got it right but the others didn't. Actually this episode got it right too. The start of the episode where Yuu was talking in English was pretty funny.

There are few more minor changes but if this is the story they would go for, you bet I'd give the show a 9 or a 10. I know it sounds like "I like this plot better so it sucks" but I think this would fixed a lot of issues.

I really can't score this show. I was having a conflict between 4 and 6 but this episode is just a beautiful bow to this series. It's like Angel Beats, only it's the exact opposite. I'm going to have to put my score on hold for now.
Sep 26, 2015 11:49 AM

May 2012
This ending lol.

This show started out okay and just got worse and worse.

There so many things that just didn't make any logical since lol.

3/10 for me.
Sep 26, 2015 11:49 AM

Jan 2015
So that's the final episode of Charlotte. Sigh...
It was fun watching Yuu becoming so OP but jeez... That's how the story ends?
So Yuu really did forget about Nao. That's pretty sad but I would have been a lot more upset if Yuu and Nao's relationship felt like an actual relationship instead of being there just for the sake of being there. Episode 12 made it clear that Nao didn't have any feelings for Yuu and the two of them weren't in contact while he was travelling around the world so just how/when/why did she fall in love with him?
BTW, not only do we have no idea as to what that whole Nao-and-Yuu-falling-from-the-sky scene in the OP refers to, we also don't know who the hell this person is.

Also, what about Sala? I don't get it. It's as though Charlotte isn't complete but it doesn't seem like it's going to get any more episodes either. I'm confused...
Nice song at the end though.
MALoween 2017 Candy:
Sep 26, 2015 11:51 AM
Jun 2015
Kirigaro92 said:
Endcard

That's beautiful fanart.
Sep 26, 2015 11:51 AM

Feb 2012
Great concept but falwed and rushed execution. Jun should stick to VNs.

Anyway i give it a 7/10 after rounding it off.
Sep 26, 2015 11:52 AM

Dec 2012
I've been open minded with Charlotte since it's Key I knew it may be good or not. But this ending I had a tear when Nao started to cry. The whole anime I would say it was good better than Angel Beats where I was like how did he get feelings. With Charlotte it hinted over the episodes. I'll give it a 8.6/10 not too amazing but good.
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.

Mar 2015
How to travel across the world? watch this episode :)

It was good, but I expected something better..

Aug 2013
so many plot holes..
like how's Nao's brother is still okay even though Yuu leaped time to the past before he meet ZHIEND vocalist?
still good run tho..
Sep 26, 2015 11:54 AM

Dec 2012
For those don't know Yuu not remember Nao is similar to Tomoyo Wonderful Life VN where Tomoya doesn't remember Tomoyo and he keeps repeating forgetting it's similar to this.
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Sep 26, 2015 11:55 AM
Jun 2015
:Travelling around the world in one ep" - that shud have been the name of this episode.. :P
Sep 26, 2015 11:56 AM

Sep 2010
I give the episode a 7/10
Series a 7.5/10

Pros:
+ Satisfying conclusion for character development
+ No cliffhanger endings like most series
+ No mystery ending with no conclusion at all
+ No BS, "Make up your own ending," endings

Cons:
- Rushed episodes (9-13)
- Makes you crave more.
- Could of easily be made the series 22 episode series, but atlas Jun Maeda is restricted.
Sep 26, 2015 11:57 AM

May 2010
8/10 because i really enjoyed watching it.

The ppl not being happy with the ending..what did you actually expect? in the end it went almost exactly like they planned it. did you expect some dramatic ending or what?

Ppl complaining about plot holes in a show where timetravel is an actual thing. /smh
Sep 26, 2015 12:00 PM
Sep 2014
So... they're just leaving a plothole with Fin huh?
So, no explanation abou Sala or Alternate Timeline memories of Yuu or Nao's brother?
CoffeeCrisisSep 26, 2015 12:04 PM
Sep 26, 2015 12:00 PM

Mar 2011
Well.... it ended but .... as a kindhearted fan, I gave the whole darned thing a 7/10.

Ok.... that was so bad .... so frustrating. Well it was predictable and what's worse is that "Fin" at the end as there is no prologue.

Holes are everywhere.
Sep 26, 2015 12:01 PM
Jun 2015
HalAnime said:
Series a 7.5/10

Pros:

Cons:
- Rushed episodes (9-13)
- Makes you crave more.
- Could of easily be made the series 22 episode series, but atlas Jun Maeda is restricted.

Are you sure abt char developments? (except yuu)
Sep 26, 2015 12:02 PM

Nov 2012
Disappointed, to think he'd take his reasoning not to heal himself THAT far. One thing not heal your eye to go back in time, but let your body become handicap in a wheel chair and all that? Then there's just a shitload of things unexplained, has he forgotten EVERYONE, or what? And this dude is always breaking down and having huge mood swings.
Jaywalker.

Sep 2014
Vanschia said:
so many plot holes..
like how's Nao's brother is still okay even though Yuu leaped time to the past before he meet ZHIEND vocalist?
still good run tho..

He was listening to the ZHIEND CD lmao.
Dec 2014
Well...
I wasn't disappointed by this series, but I hoped it could have been a lot more
8/10 for me, since I enjoyed it. The pacing was quite bad though and plot holes everywhere.
If they ended this show at episode 12, made a whole new season about Yuu going round the world and getting the powers (episodic slice of life thing) then later on show that he is starting to have declining memory with aggressive tendencies (with proper foreshadowing) then have the show end at the 2nd season, it would be fucking awesome.
The special OVA thing is probably going to be something like Angel Beat's OVA, comedic parts and what not about when he was in the student council.

Hey P.A Works and KEY, I have an idea for you. Make a movie expanding on the story in episode 13 about Yuu travelling the world. I would watch it instantly.
AversaSep 26, 2015 1:17 PM
Sep 26, 2015 12:03 PM

Dec 2014
Katsuruka said:

raveninthemuddle said:
A predictable and very painful end to a three-month long humiliation and frustration for almost everyone. I'd like to imagine that's what Jun Maeda's inner thoughts are after the boardcast; It's so painful! I've had enough of this! Why does it have to be me? It's so difficult. I'm tired. I don't wanna do this anymore. And you know what, if Jun Maeda is an anime character, he might as well be a whiny, mopey, unimaginative, callow, very unsophisticated, narrow-minded, inconsiderate, attention-seeking, talentless, deceptive, manipulative, insensitive and vengeful teenage boy who wields awesome power on a self-proclaimed journey to save the world but ended up causing more miseries than before. Maybe the real Jun Maeda is not anything like that, and I'm now just steaming out the resentment I have from watching this monstrosity, but you are the architect of your creation, no matter how or what it fails it does tell something about yourself in one way or another.

Will get better after Angel Beats! ? No, in this case it's not " let's forgive but do not forget", you've proven there's also no forgive.

I'm looking at it from a writer's prospective, trying to understand and evaluate how Jun Maeda fares as a writer, or a content creator in general. Of course that doesn't necessary tell us how what kind of person Jun Meada is, and it never will, but what kind of writer he is. And just by the different prospective you and I are going to pick up lots of different details regarding different matters of concern, like how the anime fails in communication between the writer and director from the first episode, how shameless they are to insert AB reference in a wrong time and inappropriate mood, and that two-and-a-half-minute-long product placement in episode 8 and more. It should have been given more time just tell us Jun Maeda repeated the same mistake he made in AB!, and just giving my opinion that change if possibly made, it's not going to change or improve the anime a lot, it just prolongs the suffering.
Sep 26, 2015 12:03 PM

Oct 2008
I'm beyond disappointed in this show. How could it be that the person who wrote Clannad wrote this. It was my mistake to have held high hopes for it.
Sep 26, 2015 12:04 PM
Oct 2014
This could have been explored more in a season 2 but I don't think it was bad. Kind of unrealistic and plot holes are definitely here but it was a fun ride. Probably won't have a season 2 though.
Dec 2014
HalAnime said:
Series a 7.5/10

Pros:

Cons:
- Rushed episodes (9-13)
- Makes you crave more.

Pros 2, 3, and 4 are basically the same thing.

Aug 2015
Hey guys , please take a look at my Charlotte's review, that's is what I think about the series
Sep 26, 2015 12:05 PM

Mar 2014
People saying it was worse than Angel Beats... How, it made the exact same mistakes Angel Beats did, except Charlotte explained more things ( Which is a plus ). Both had 1-2 useless episodes and a rushed ending, yeah Charlotte had more potential, but that's not a reason to consider it worse than Angel Beats. For the score, i'll give it 6.5 so 6/10 here on MAL, same as i did for Angel Beats. The ending was also better than Angel Beats' ( It wasn't that great though ). I prefered Nao to pretty much any AB characters, but both anime didn't have really good characters, both were about 6/10 characters wise, which is good but nothing more. If i had to compare both in overall, i'd say Charlotte is slightly better than Angel Beats.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Sep 26, 2015 12:07 PM

May 2015
So that was the final episode.... I can't really say it was better than Angel Beats!, and certainly it was pretty rushed too at some parts. It definitely had its flaws, but despite all of that, I still really enjoyed this show. Too bad the chances of another cour or season are slim to zero, since that would definitely develop this show further.... One cour surely wasn't enough. But alas, still loved Charlotte. It definitely also had one amazing soundtrack. 9/10.
AversaSep 26, 2015 1:16 PM

Sep 26, 2015 12:07 PM
May 2015
This anime made me cry... it was so bad!
capndicklazersSep 26, 2015 12:29 PM
Pages (18) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2015

649 by MsBorsh »»
Apr 21, 11:49 AM

» Yuu's Ability

PenguinLam - Apr 18

37 by Yeshaiah2015yesh »»
Apr 21, 8:27 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sakaitsu - Jul 4, 2015

652 by MsBorsh »»
Apr 21, 4:34 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2015

459 by Tsunamii_ »»
Apr 6, 4:08 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 15, 2015

858 by Mads004 »»
Mar 29, 8:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.