Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 25, 2015 6:55 PM

Feb 2015
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-09-25/why-clannad-made-you-cry/.93370

Clannad was sad, I'll admit, but tear inducing? That's overdoing it a bit. With all honesty I found the Fuko arc so much more meaningful than Nagsia's death.

Why?

She acted like a complete moron the whole pregnancy. As a matter of fact it'd be a better theory to blame the inevitable chemical change in women during pregnancy than to simply say it was sentimental feelings. For Nagisa to utter such nonsense in front of Tomoya, I expected him to laugh. This girl can't even finish High School due to psychical problems but wants to BIRTH A CHILD WITH ABSOLUTELY NO MEDICAL HELP OUTSIDE OF A MIDWIFE? What else can a midwife do besides PREPARE you for the birth? Oh and if you take a little peek into the pregnancy arc, the midwife did absolutely nothing anyway.

I guess you're wondering why I'm ranting. Or perhaps you're staring at your screen in horror because of such a heartless monster I am. Well, the reason why is that I felt cheated. I was promised these "feels" in the show and I said before, I found the Fuko arc sad, but the Tomoyo arc was the saddest. However no-one is talking about those things when they say "Clannad feels". They head straight to Nagisa, and I found her death ridiculous and avoidable. Tomoyo's brother? Kotomi? Unavoidable. Letting a woman who couldn't even finish High School in one setting give birth in her house? Pretty sure you wouldn't gamble with her life like that.

Ok, Ok, so maybe it wasn't THAT avoidable. That's why in the movie, even though I knew what was going to happen, I felt SOMETHING while looking at it. She was in the safest way possible and yet she passed. THAT is tons more of an impact than the anime version.

Before I end this, I want to make it clear that I don't hate Clannad. Far from it. Overrated, yes, bad? Nah. It's very enjoyable, in fact. I find the first season the best by far because it perfected the "feels" part of the show and the comedy. Clannad's comedy I could watch all day long. When it gets serious? I found it just fine. But OVERBOARD serious? No, it doesn't do that well at all. As I said I really like Clannad, and I'd recommend not for feels but for the fun it brings.

I'm sure that I'm the only one who feels this about Clannad, so let the "You monster!" and "You piece of trash!" insults roll :P

Mod Note: Moved from general Anime Discussion. Spoiler warning added to title.
TomDaySep 26, 2015 9:05 AM
Sep 25, 2015 6:58 PM

Aug 2015
The title of this thread, reminds me of a title IGN would put.
"When a man learns to love, he must bear the risk of hatred....." - Obito Uchiha

Sep 25, 2015 6:59 PM

Mar 2015
TL;DR please.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 25, 2015 7:02 PM

Jul 2012
It's okay, I didn't cry either. The build up was weak when most of the 50 episodes didn't lead to the main story.
Sep 25, 2015 7:03 PM

Nov 2013
I didn't actually cry, but what made it sad for me was because I didn't expect it to be sad at all. It was the first romance I saw and will always be the best in my eyes.
Sep 25, 2015 7:42 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
"Feel" effect has various impact to each individual, while some people find a sad show tear-jerking, some people would find it a bit sad, and some others wouldn't feel anything at all, it's just normal.

I'm sure most people here have watched show who was supposed to make them cry but didn't feel anything from it, let alone feel sad.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 25, 2015 7:44 PM

Aug 2015
Some Clannad Spoliers

Iv watched Clannad/AS twice and both times felt sad and tear'd up a bit. However I think the way you watch it effects the "feels" aspect towards it.

The first time I watched it, I went into it not knowing it was supposed to be sad/tragic. Wasn't expecting both Nagisa and Ushio to die. Just treated it like a slice of life anime and was enjoying it immensely.

Although I do agree that it has its faults I loved Clannad tons and is still the only anime iv really felt sad while watching. Gonna have to rewatch it again soon ^^
Sep 25, 2015 8:05 PM

Oct 2010
Spoilers and such.

jal90Sep 25, 2015 8:09 PM
Sep 25, 2015 8:09 PM

Jun 2010
TomDay said:
Well, the reason why is that I felt cheated. I was promised these "feels" in the show and I said before, I found the Fuko arc sad, but the Tomoyo arc was the saddest. However no-one is talking about that when they say "Clannad feels". They head straight to Nagisa, and I found her death ridiculous and avoidable.

Well, that's the problem.
You shouldn't get into a anime because someone made you a stupid promise of "you'll cry ayy lmao xDDD". Fictional romance and drama appeals differently for each one of us and what may trigger some feelings in someone might as well be completely dull for you. That's because people view the world in different manners and some had prior experiences other didn't.
The fact that you didn't find the scene/chapter most consider "the saddest" does not matter, what matters is whether or not the show was good for you. Did you enjoy it? Did it tug at some heartstrings? Or was it simply joyful without being emotional?
If it did, mission accomplished then.
Still, you'll see very often Clannad arguments start because of this very reason. Someone starts complaining/praising the series exclusively because of one scene and plenty of replies will follow without getting into any conclusions because, in the end, it's down to personal preference.

As for that article, I disliked it.
Clannad is originally and ultimately a Key novel, and all most of those follow the pattern of a breaking/soothing narrative. The writer makes clear he understands that, besides copy-pasting a metric shit-ton of content from other blogs/forums which already discussed the subject prior (Ironically, I did a similar post in my own little blog). He pretty much "deconstruct" the narrative style but then starts to shit on his own work.
Much of the things he points out as "unexplained" or "void" could've been answered if he paid more attention to the show/VN he was watching/reading. Sure, it's partially writers' fault if you're unable to understand some plot keys but hey, do you really need everything spoonfed?? Can't you do a little thinking or researching? Please.

"Nobody likes feeling manipulated, especially manipulated into feeling sad, so the criticisms of his work are often just as fierce as the affection for it. "
This is just idiotic.
Key/Maeda writers emotionally impacting stories, so it's OBVIOUSLY the intent of the narrative is to mess with you. If you don't want that in the first place, go watch something else.
"Nobody likes"? Well, fuck you, I do.
The reason I'm found of this segment, of this genre, of this medium, is seeing how far can some stories get to me. If emotionally manipulative stories are the way to go? Why the fuck not? It's entertainment! I'm not being blackmailed or manipulated into doing something I don't want.

Also, stupid title. "Click-bait" style. Didn't think ANN was that low on quality.
Kind of reflects the content, though. Superficial.
Lures you into clicking but then just goes and waste 80% of the text talking about Angel Beats without getting in-depth with Clannad or any other show.
Sep 25, 2015 8:17 PM

Jan 2013
I cried like a bitch...soooooo I can't really say anything about this article.
Sep 25, 2015 8:18 PM

Sep 2014
Nice b8 m8 of click b8 m8
Sep 25, 2015 8:18 PM

Sep 2014
Nice b8 m8 of click b8 article m8
Sep 25, 2015 8:26 PM

Apr 2012
Clannad didn't make me cry. It was so boring that I never got to After Story @_@

tl/dr : Keys anime sucks

Sep 25, 2015 8:27 PM

Feb 2015
davinci12 said:
Nice b8 m8 of click b8 article m8
Nice double post m8.

Clannad is largely garbage. The episodes of AS focusing on Okazaki and Nagisa's relationship, and their transition into adult life were actually really good, but every other aspect of the series (character, story, comedy, ending) was appalling.
Sep 25, 2015 8:37 PM

Aug 2013
Majority of second half Clannad After Story actually made me cringe. A lot. Mainly due to how overblown and overacted everyone, and the plot that surrounds it. Rather than progressing things in organical manner, instead they were being blown out of proportions, that it became hard to be taken quite seriously. It felt like watching explosions without actual explosions.

As an avid shoujo reader that has gotten used with shoujo's calm, patiently-built drama with grounded characters, Clannad AF was such a bummer.
Sep 25, 2015 8:42 PM

Mar 2015
Amiluhur said:
Majority of second half Clannad After Story actually made me cringe. A lot. Mainly due to how overblown and overacted everyone, and the plot that surrounds it. Rather than progressing things in organical manner, instead they were being blown out of proportions, that it became hard to be taken quite seriously. It felt like watching explosions without actual explosions.

As an avid shoujo reader that has gotten used with shoujo's calm, patiently-built drama with grounded characters, Clannad AF was such a bummer.
not all shoujo like that. but still i agree with you.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 25, 2015 9:26 PM

Jan 2015
I watched Only Yesterday with a friend one time
I am the only one crying at the end. My friend stared me weirdly bcoz of taht
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Sep 25, 2015 9:34 PM

Dec 2014
Clannad made me cry. Though it's the only Key anime that actually did that to me. The rest of their anime was meh.(From the ones I've seen.)
Sep 25, 2015 9:37 PM

Jul 2014
OP pls edit title to Clannad AS Spoilers.

Clannad s1 was MEH IMO, is s2 worth it tho?
Sep 25, 2015 9:38 PM

Nov 2011
TomDay said:
She acted like a complete moron the whole pregnancy. As a matter of fact it'd be a better theory to blame the inevitable chemical change in women during pregnancy than to simply say it was sentimental feelings. For Nagisa to utter such nonsene in front of Tomoyo, I expected him to laugh. This girl can't even finish High School due to psychical problems but wants to GIVE BIRTH A CHILD WITH ABSOLUTELY NO MEDICAL HELP OUTSIDE OF A MIDWIFE? What else can a midwife do besides PREPARE you for the birth? Oh and if you take a little peek into the pregnancy arc, the midwife did absolutely nothing anyway.

There was no way for Nagisa to leave the house. She wanted to give birth at home, but Tomoya discussed it with her parents (Akio specifically iirc) and they agreed to try to have it in the hospital anyway due to safety concerns. The reason she had to give birth at home anyway was because of heavy snow keeping them trapped and unable to transport her to the hospital.
Sep 25, 2015 9:40 PM

Mar 2015
Clannad made me cry because I promised to myself that I would finish all of the top 10 MAL animes, and thus I had to finish it.
Sep 25, 2015 9:41 PM

Jun 2008
I actually ended up skipping out on Nagisa's death only because I found every arc after the Fuko arc boring. The Fuko arc made me cry so much though.

Though the whole ending and
confused me, but that's anime.
Sep 25, 2015 9:42 PM

Jul 2012
OppaiSugoi said:
Clannad s1 was MEH IMO, is s2 worth it tho?

four episodes in s2 are worth it
Sep 25, 2015 9:42 PM

Aug 2013
Major123 said:
I cried like a bitch...soooooo I can't really say anything about this article.
Sep 25, 2015 9:46 PM

Jan 2008
Mellows said:
I actually ended up skipping out on Nagisa's death only because I found every arc after the Fuko arc boring. The Fuko arc made me cry so much though.

Though the whole ending and
confused me, but that's anime.

Not only were they boring, they did nothing for Clannad AF.
Sep 25, 2015 9:50 PM

Nov 2014
I didn't cry. I cringed.
Sep 25, 2015 9:59 PM

Aug 2015
It is hard to cry when it is ovious that it will be tragic, nagisa is weak from the begining. And because it is a galge adaptation It has a lot of flaws that are absent in the game that reduce the drama impact.
But if the anime is enough for someone to like nagisa, then it is alright to feel sad
Sep 25, 2015 10:59 PM
Jul 2015
I teared up at points, but I only really cried when Tomoya reconnects with his Father.
Sep 25, 2015 11:08 PM

Sep 2014
Wow, the men who wrote that they didn't cry look so tough and manly. I'm really impressed.
Sep 25, 2015 11:23 PM

Nov 2011
I did'nt cry but the adulthood part of this series is enough to make this a masterpiece.
Shit thread requires a shit title and a shit op.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Sep 25, 2015 11:44 PM

May 2015
Irrelative said:
I didn't cry. I cringed.
Same here.
Sep 26, 2015 6:06 AM

Jul 2015
Clannad was the 2nd anime where i watched an aimless girl being guided by a boy , who not only shows her the bright path but also lives each and every moment for her . He helped every one but there were their own secrets(both good and bad).

This anime gave me hope,determination , strengthened my belief in life and it was only after that first occurence of bed-ridden state of Nagisa and her childhood fact of being left alone by her parents on that particular day made me worry about her , but after she got sick just before the graduation made me extremely sad,,

And then the after story made me cry two times , mostly the worst thing was that little cute daughter(Ushio) of Nagisa trying to walk with her father for the second time for a trip that she wished for before suddenly lying on her father's arms,being lifeless,,, whenever i think of that ,tears come out , but you know there is always a happy ending , and that made me strengthen my willpower ....

Hope everybody feels the same.
Sep 26, 2015 6:43 AM

Feb 2015
Hrybami said:
Wow, the men who wrote that they didn't cry look so tough and manly. I'm really impressed.

Because they could have no other motivation for posting amirite?
Sep 26, 2015 11:54 AM

Feb 2015
long post lel
-----
mayukachan said:
It's okay, I didn't cry either. The build up was weak when most of the 50 episodes didn't lead to the main story.

ah, so it was 50eps in all? felt much smaller than that.

to be honest, think about it. what WAS the "main plot"? in S1, was it tomoya making friends or being with nagisa? S2 is even more confusing. was it tomoya beginning a family, coming over the death of his wife, being friends with the community he lived in, or having a retarded happy ending? you're right - the eps were everywhere going to the "main plot" (i use the phrase loosely), but what was it? what were they (the writers) working for? could it be the retarded ending, since it COMPLETELY CANCELS OUT more than 10 episodes (at least)? i just didn't get the 2nd half of S2. i liked S1 and the first half of S2, but that last half i didn't understand, and the last episode i certainly didn't want.

RayAdha said:
effect has various impact to each individual, while some people find a sad show tear-jerking, some people would find it a bit sad, and some others wouldn't feel anything at all, it's just normal.

I'm sure most people here have watched show who was supposed to make them cry but didn't feel anything from it, let alone feel sad.

it's just that so many people feel different than that. they aren't even willing to admit it can be sad. no, they will literally say if you don't CRY at this show, you're some kind of monster. i don't really care how they see me as this, but i just expected more people here to bash me like the fans have done to everyone who doesn't remake niagra falls when they look at clannad.

jal90 said:
Spoilers and such.

trag·e·dy
ˈtrajədē/
noun
"an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe."

according to this definition, nagisa's death cannot be called a tragedy. even if it is, it should be used loosely, like how black is a "color".

it was not an accident for nagisa's passing while giving birth (well, shortly afterwards) because she did not accidentally choose to give birth in her own house with no help.

do i understand nagisa being a "big girl" and doing her own thing? yes, i certainly do. but that's the thing that made me go as far to call her a moron. tomoya - as well as her parents - should have ignored her droll on and on about her sentimental bullcrap and secretly planned for her to go to the hospital at probably 6-7 months in. it goes without saying that tomoya loves his wife A LOT (i still can't understand how though). NO-ONE would allow for her to do such a stupid thing with her lifelong condition.

nagisa, you wanna do something by yourself? focus on parenting. you know, the part about being a mother for the rest of your life? yeah, you'll have more than enough independence with that.

xbobx said:
TomDay said:
Well, the reason why is that I felt cheated. I was promised these feels in the show and I said before, I found the Fuko arc sad, but the Tomoyo arc was the saddest. However no-one is talking about that when they say Clannad feels. They head straight to Nagisa, and I found her death ridiculous and avoidable.

Well, that's the problem.
You shouldn't get into a anime because someone made you a stupid promise of you'll cry ayy lmao xDDD. Fictional romance and drama appeals differently for each one of us and what may trigger some feelings in someone might as well be completely dull for you. That's because people view the world in different manners and some had prior experiences other didn't.
The fact that you didn't find the scene/chapter most consider the saddest does not matter, what matters is whether or not the show was good for you. Did you enjoy it? Did it tug at some heartstrings? Or was it simply joyful without being emotional?
If it did, mission accomplished then.
Still, you'll see very often Clannad arguments start because of this very reason. Someone starts complaining/praising the series exclusively because of one scene and plenty of replies will follow without getting into any conclusions because, in the end, it's down to personal preference.

well, to explain how i fell for this i'll have to tell a small story. it's optional, but it does explain my feelings.

(this was when i was REALLY new to anime. i'm still waddling in the pool of anime, but i was SUPER new to this. it was probably my 2nd or 3rd anime by this point. so when someone suggested that i look at this show (for the feels of course) i was interested since i really didn't understand what the "feels" was. so for you saying that....)

AGREED. i fell for the "feels" route, and that's where i went wrong. i recommend this show as a SHOW, and for YOU to check it out and so YOU can decide how you like it. i heavily stress to not pay attention to the "feels" comments, even if you turn out to cry like a bleating goat. if you cried, it's because YOU cried. not because someone said you would.

TripleSRank said:
TomDay said:
She acted like a complete moron the whole pregnancy. As a matter of fact it'd be a better theory to blame the inevitable chemical change in women during pregnancy than to simply say it was sentimental feelings. For Nagisa to utter such nonsene in front of Tomoyo, I expected him to laugh. This girl can't even finish High School due to psychical problems but wants to GIVE BIRTH A CHILD WITH ABSOLUTELY NO MEDICAL HELP OUTSIDE OF A MIDWIFE? What else can a midwife do besides PREPARE you for the birth? Oh and if you take a little peek into the pregnancy arc, the midwife did absolutely nothing anyway.

There was no way for Nagisa to leave the house. She wanted to give birth at home, but Tomoya discussed it with her parents (Akio specifically iirc) and they agreed to try to have it in the hospital anyway due to safety concerns. The reason she had to give birth at home anyway was because of heavy snow keeping them trapped and unable to transport her to the hospital.

yeah i thought about this as well and it's still an extremely weak reason for the writers to put on. that's why i suggested to plop her behind in the hospital at around 6-7 months. she gave birth what, a month early or on time? plenty of time for her to get in the hospital. normal women do it all the time, and you didn't do this for nagisa? why, writers? oh, that because you were so intent on dead characters you were willing to push characters out of their personality and push past LOGIC just to make her kick the bucket? because that's exactly how it was.

megamachine said:
It is hard to cry when it is ovious that it will be tragic, nagisa is weak from the begining. And because it is a galge adaptation It has a lot of flaws that are absent in the game that reduce the drama impact.
But if the anime is enough for someone to like nagisa, then it is alright to feel sad

that as well. it was obvious as crap that due to what, 3 whole episodes of nagisa and her pregnancy and stressing about her sickness she would go. i'm supposed to feel sad about her stupid decision? let's take it a step farther. knowing that women pregnant typically give birth, and knowing birth is a dangerous business, and knowing it would be eons more dangerous for nagisa to give birth, why make her pregnant at all? why not adopt? WHY NOT GO FOR THE SAFEST CHOICE?

because, again, nagisa's writers were abnormally intent for her to die.

Aditya_V_D said:
Clannad was the 2nd anime where i watched an aimless girl being guided by a boy , who not only shows her the bright path but also lives each and every moment for her . He helped every one but there were their own secrets(both good and bad).

This anime gave me hope,determination , strengthened my belief in life and it was only after that first occurence of bed-ridden state of Nagisa and her childhood fact of being left alone by her parents on that particular day made me worry about her , but after she got sick just before the graduation made me extremely sad,,

And then the after story made me cry two times , mostly the worst thing was that little cute daughter(Ushio) of Nagisa trying to walk with her father for the second time for a trip that she wished for before suddenly lying on her father's arms,being lifeless,,, whenever i think of that ,tears come out , but you know there is always a happy ending , and that made me strengthen my willpower ....

Hope everybody feels the same.

look, i'm not going in on the people that DID cry at clannad. as RayAdha said, people all have their different feelings and breaking points. but when nearly everyone insists that you WILL cry OR ELSE you look like a beast, that's when it's wrong. you cried at clannad. that's your feelings and your experience. that's how you felt. but no-one says that. they just lump in everyone and say you'll cry.
----
before i end this, i have a video to share.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4OHugdYQW1E

listen to 25: 31 - 26:30 and 29: 17 - 30:59.
32:22 - 33:55 is optional.

the first timeframe explains exactly what key animation is, and the second shows EXACTLY what nagisa and what her character was for. i'm telling you he has it on the nose.
Sep 26, 2015 1:19 PM

Nov 2011
TomDay said:
TripleSRank said:

yeah i thought about this as well and it's still an extremely weak reason for the writers to put on. that's why i suggested to plop her behind in the hospital at around 6-7 months. she gave birth what, a month early or on time? plenty of time for her to get in the hospital. normal women do it all the time, and you didn't do this for nagisa? why, writers? oh, that because you were so intent on dead characters you were willing to push characters out of their personality and push past LOGIC just to make her kick the bucket? because that's exactly how it was.

No, that's not very normal, and even if it was, long-term hospitalization costs a lot of money- money Nagisa's parents likely couldn't afford, let alone Tomoya. The setup was logical; you're just operating through hindsight bias.

I'm pretty sure nothing I say will matter to you if you're determined to hate the development, though.
Sep 26, 2015 2:39 PM

Aug 2015
In fact, there are a lot of scenes in the anime that make it lose seriousness and make it impossible to feel sad. Do you remember when the Mc shows his feelings about Nagisa at the tennis match and the other girls start to cry??!!, or do you remember how silly was the explanation of why Nagisa's parent didn't pursue their dreams?
Sep 26, 2015 4:18 PM

Feb 2015
megamachine said:
In fact, there are a lot of scenes in the anime that make it lose seriousness and make it impossible to feel sad. Do you remember when the Mc shows his feelings about Nagisa at the tennis match and the other girls start to cry??!!, or do you remember how silly was the explanation of why Nagisa's parent didn't pursue their dreams?

never thought about that, but yea. akkio and his wide had the silliest reason to quit their lives. all they had to do was focus on her at the TIMES she was sick, not ALWAYS. now that i think about it, wasn't nagisa in high school when she was introduced? she's 16 yet still needs to be looked after like when she was five?

the whole thing was much too blown up and exaggerated.

oh yea, i just remembered. remember when kotomi had that PTSD attack in front of that car accident, then screamed again when she saw that man?

when you see a teenage girl screaming and crying because she saw a man that she refers to as "That man....", most likely you will NOT think it's from anything else besides that he could have attacked her in the past.

ok well maybe i'm the only one who thought that but seriously. THAT'S HOW OVER THE TOP IT WAS. screaming because of a mysterious man? linked to her parent's death? wut.
Sep 26, 2015 6:31 PM

Aug 2015
TomDay said:
megamachine said:

never thought about that, but yea. akkio and his wide had the silliest reason to quit their lives. all they had to do was focus on her at the TIMES she was sick, not ALWAYS. now that i think about it, wasn't nagisa in high school when she was introduced? she's 16 yet still needs to be looked after like when she was five?

the whole thing was much too blown up and exaggerated.

oh yea, i just remembered. remember when kotomi had that PTSD attack in front of that car accident, then screamed again when she saw that man?

when you see a teenage girl screaming and crying because she saw a man that she refers to as "That man....", most likely you will NOT think it's from anything else besides that he could have attacked her in the past.

ok well maybe i'm the only one who thought that but seriously. THAT'S HOW OVER THE TOP IT WAS. screaming because of a mysterious man? linked to her parent's death? wut.

I don't know what you felt, but the only reason clannad make me feel sad ( I watched only half season 2 but played the game), was the sequence of youth-love-grouth-marriage-death; and was shocking cause it felt like life had nothing more to offer than becoming a couple as teens and then become dull adults and It made me feel old. Anime shouldn't show you how time passes, it is depressing
Sep 26, 2015 7:56 PM

Mar 2015
Just would like to say I really respect that article and have had pretty much the same thoughts on the subject, especially with Charlotte ending recently, but with no where to put them. Here to say that there is at least one person here who found nagisa's death equally as ridiculous and didnt really cry at all in Clannad.
The more time you spend on MAL, the less time you're actually watching anime.
Sep 26, 2015 9:55 PM

Feb 2015
TripleSRank said:

No, that's not very normal, and even if it was, long-term hospitalization costs a lot of money- money Nagisa's parents likely couldn't afford, let alone Tomoya. The setup was logical; you're just operating through hindsight bias.

not normal? not normal for women to prepare to go inside the hospital? lol k

again, weak reason. money or not, SHE NEEDS THE HOSPITAL. you utterly cannot deny that a women of her health would need it. these are the same parents that were willing to QUIT THEIR LIFELONG DREAM and watch over her to protect her by any means, right?

but they're hesitant on making sure she's in the safest way possible on the most dangerous point of her life? because money?

and if more money is the problem, nagisa's been living in her community since like what, 5? you're telling me that NO-ONE is involved with nagisa and wants her to have a safe birth for as long as they've known her? her parents can't reach out and ask for help on their daughter?

ok, screw the community. they all hate nagisa. what about the six other people who tomoya and nagisa befriended in high school? they all know full well of nagisa's illness, and they know a lot about her (considering that they all practically sacrificed all they had for just a play she wanted to do). pretty sure that if tomoya gave them a call, they'd contribute some money.

oh wait. they weren't even there for the five years tomoya mourned his wife either.

this could be the writers being so bent over on making nagisa die no matter what logically stood in their way methinks.

I'm pretty sure nothing I say will matter to you if you're determined to hate the development, though.

as i said i didn't hate the show in my first post.....lol

megamachine said:

I don't know what you felt, but the only reason clannad make me feel sad ( I watched only half season 2 but played the game), was the sequence of youth-love-grouth-marriage-death; and was shocking cause it felt like life had nothing more to offer than becoming a couple as teens and then become dull adults and It made me feel old. Anime shouldn't show you how time passes, it is depressing

lol well i hear the game is loads better than the already ok show, so maybe i'll check it out. it'll be an experience since i've never seen any VNs.

ObjectiveOpinion said:
Just would like to say I really respect that article and have had pretty much the same thoughts on the subject, especially with Charlotte ending recently, but with no where to put them. Here to say that there is at least one person here who found nagisa's death equally as ridiculous and didnt really cry at all in Clannad.

yea dude, you're not crazy either apparently :P
TomDaySep 27, 2015 7:24 AM
Sep 27, 2015 12:54 AM

Aug 2013
Ben-Hur said:
Irrelative said:
I didn't cry. I cringed.
Same here.

You guys should move to Dalek's planet.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 24, 2015 6:43 PM

Feb 2015
YuuTenkei said:

To be fair in the end she did accept going to a hospital because it was safer but she had an early labor and snow was blocking the roads. I will admit you made some valid points but in the end I don't think it was her idiocy that caused the outcome.

i understand that, but how far was nagisa along when she started labor? 7, 8 months? she should have been in the hospital by 6. it's not like no-one doesn't know about her condition and how prone she is to sickness by practically anything (such as simply [/b]walking to and from school[/b]). they should have made more precautions, and they would have, i'm sure, if the writers didn't want to hone in and insist on nagisa dying.
Dec 25, 2015 11:59 AM

Feb 2015
YuuTenkei said:

Yeh I entirely understand what you're saying. Tomoya really seems to be the only one thinking rationally through most of the anime (in regards to Nagisas illness), it didn't seem to bother the parents either even though they knew how big the risks were. Still not sure if I'm happy with the ending as it seems like a stupid excuse for a stupid death but the game was much more enjoyable as light orbs rewinding time doesn't seen hard to believe in a visual novel.

i plan to play it as soon as someone drops a free DL of it from steam. however, did nagisa die at all?
TomDayDec 26, 2015 9:08 AM

More topics from this board

» Hopefully this isn't annoying

Ricdumb - Apr 10

3 by Ricdumb »»
Apr 20, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

angel999 - Oct 23, 2008

319 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 14, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Davison - Oct 16, 2008

260 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kiseki - Oct 2, 2008

347 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 7, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1168 by Chilicon_valley »»
Mar 10, 8:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.