Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
School-Live!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Sep 25, 2015 3:27 PM
Apr 2014
gedata said:
I just realized the 2nd dog that apparently existed and survived on it's own all this time dug up Yuki's hat for some reason.

The 2nd dog appearing is such a massive troll to manga readers, I bet he's gonna steal all the scenes dedicated to the development of the characters just like Taromaru, good dog !
Sep 25, 2015 3:29 PM

Sep 2012
I liked this episode! I almost cried when Toramaru died.
I think that it was a good adaptation from the manga, even if it was different.
Sep 25, 2015 3:40 PM

Oct 2014
i don't care how many people hated doggy-chan, i personally loved him

the ending was really bittersweet and i like how it left an opening for a second season, i really hope there is one

rip taromaru :(
Sep 25, 2015 3:45 PM

May 2015
Well fuck, I didn't expect to shed a tear here. Really sad it's over now... Great show, and really enjoyed it all the way through. Judging from the last scene, there's hope for a second season. Definitely I hope for another season.... What a wonderful show it was, one of the best this season in my opinion. 9/10.

Sep 25, 2015 3:52 PM

Mar 2014
Tevens said:
The feels......
Taromaru saved the day!!!! and then he died....:(. Goodbye Taromaru!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a really nice ending and i want a second season. 9/10

Did this mean there will be a second season ? I really hope they will make another season!

it depends since that girl came from

$$$ = move things around if enough budget for the next one why not
Sep 25, 2015 3:57 PM

Jun 2015
I definitely enjoyed this, but I'm a little worried about its continuation. Yuki's PTSD was what sold the show and kept things interesting, but now that she's become self-aware, that point's now run its course. I'm not optimistic nor pessimistic because I just have no idea what will happen now. Maybe I'll pick up the manga later, since it'll probably be a while before season 2.

The dog always fucking dies.
Sep 25, 2015 4:03 PM

Oct 2010
Considering Kei remains a zombie and the entire world remains an apocalyptic wasteland, this episode feels woefully inconclusive for a finale.
Sep 25, 2015 4:04 PM

Jan 2015
MozillaFennekin said:
I definitely enjoyed this, but I'm a little worried about its continuation. Yuki's PTSD was what sold the show and kept things interesting, but now that she's become self-aware, that point's now run its course. I'm not optimistic nor pessimistic because I just have no idea what will happen now. Maybe I'll pick up the manga later, since it'll probably be a while before season 2.

Don't worry about that because it takes an interesting route.
Sep 25, 2015 4:07 PM

Dec 2014
It was okay but I just didn't think the show was that crazy. I kept getting "IS THIS SHOCKING ENOUGH!" vibes and it got old after a while. The show was still pretty good though and I'd watch it if it got a second season.

7/10
Sep 25, 2015 4:14 PM

Jul 2015
Could everyone just STOP complaining about how an anime is bad versus his Manga ? Please, this is not even the same support. One is a thing that you Read, the other one is on a tv screen. It's not the same thing !
Also, if you want a C/C of the manga, go ahead and read it twice, i bet if this was a perfect copy everyone would complain about the lack of new content and work.
This anime was great, from a perspective of someone who didn't watched 13M animes in his life. Yes it may be worse than other anime in certain points, but come on, are you watching it to enjoy or just to QQ at everyone else faces ?

9/10, the only thing i can complain about is the blury timeline
Sep 25, 2015 4:19 PM

Oct 2013
I really enjoyed this series. If that ending was not a set up for Season 2, I don't know what else it could be.

I thought the death of Taroumaru was an sad touch, but more believable than having him magically better after several hours of being dead. Kurumi never fully transformed so the antidote worked on her, while Taroumaru had been killed the evening before. I'm guessing that the creators thought he could revive temporarily, but then succumbed to his injuries inflicted by Zombie-Megunee.

I'm confident that there will be a season two on this series.
Sep 25, 2015 4:29 PM

May 2015
on this episode:
soooo diffrent from the manga

yuki = yuno gasai

AND ALSO DAMN YOU FUCKING CLIFFHANGER!!!!
Sep 25, 2015 4:45 PM

Jul 2010
A bit different from what happened in manga, but it was still a good episode. I'll continue to read manga.

7/10
Sep 25, 2015 4:48 PM

Dec 2014
Okay, talking about this show will be tough definitely but I do have a few things to address before hand before I give my thoughts:

1. Stop bitching about the fucking dog.

2. It's too bloody early for a S2. (Wait a few years or something; Or maybe we'll get OVAs covering the manga chapters after this episode, who knows at this point)

Now, onto my thoughts:

This series was like Madoka in a lot of ways. On the one hand, this show was a lot easier to understand, the emotional scenes were handled better, and a lot of its ideas (Yuki's schizophrenic-like behavior for instance) were executed pretty well. But on the other, Episode 9 was completely worthless sans the ending, the ending was "GO READ THE MANGA" (Bad especially for someone like me who doesn't read manga), and the lack of attention towards characters like the brown-haired girl dissapointed me. (Even Madoka did that better, even if it was for just like 1 episode)

The slice of life aspects didn't bother me THAT much, especially since the Zombie killing wasn't really that much of a focus. Even in those aspects I've seen better. (If was just cutesy slice of life I'd put it on the lines of Wakaba Girl (maybe even lower) but I appreciate the addition of a story)

Though overall, I'd give this the same score I gave Madoka, an 8/10. (More flawed than my other 8s but this still was a pretty good series for the most part)
Sep 25, 2015 5:04 PM

Apr 2014
Kurumi is back and all but....Taroumaru, he is back and then die T_T
Is that zombie Kei walking to the school?
So um, are they the only survivors?
7/10
Sep 25, 2015 6:22 PM
Sep 2012
Even though it didn't fully adapt the manga, I kind of liked the small changes and additions here and there that Lerche made. 7/10
Sep 25, 2015 6:25 PM

Jan 2010
Ok , completely changed everything about the manga , but still enjoyed it.

This authorial direction pleased me , just thought the anime could have more horror touches like the manga , put episodes unnecessary fillers and forced comedy, but other than that the direction was not wrong , and explored the characters , always creating the necessary atmosphere .
I confess that I almost cried with burial Taroumaru , like him ) :
8/10
I wait a second season , but I think only in a year or more .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Sep 25, 2015 6:37 PM

Nov 2014
6/10
Sep 25, 2015 6:39 PM

Dec 2014
Burger-Meister said:

and the lack of attention towards characters like the brown-haired girl dissapointed me. (Even Madoka did that better, even if it was for just like 1 episode)
It's actually the manga's fault. The manga doesn't really give characterization to Yuuri until chapter 34 or 35. The anime ended at chapter 30.
Sep 25, 2015 6:45 PM

Apr 2013
Loved the ep. Loved the series. This EP was like the calm after the storm and a possible a new storm will approach. Apart from that. I was feeling sad throughout the entire time but nothing special. Well The screen time thief died and I got sad but w/e. We graduated from high school. Time for college or factory. Depends. 10/10 for the top anime of the season IMO.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Sep 25, 2015 7:12 PM

Jun 2013
RIP Taroumaru about time you died and the speech was kinda stupid and a graduation ceromony
Sep 25, 2015 7:19 PM

Sep 2015
I was going to wait untill I'd finished reasding the manga to chip in on the thread as a 'manga reader' lol but hey ho

All in all this was a pretty good show and I wouldn't mind some reccies for any other 'ever so slightly edgey moe' shows, if they exist. The combination here of cute versus zombies was highly entertaining, but I agree that we might have done better with slightly less Taromaru.

Was never really any doubt that this ep would see Kurumi restored to health and it was done quite well, they might have edged it up a bit with mi-kun bursting in the door last minute style, with the antidote, just as rii was going to fullfil her promise "Waaiiiiit, I have the cure!!!" sort of thing

I don't know if its been discussed but all through the series I was a bit 'fraid of a really heartbreaking tragic ending - the ED video, where we see the four girls are laying down in each others arms, apparently sleeping - then the shot fades to perhaps hundreds of years later judging by the deteriation of the walls etc, I was afraid that this hinted at either a suiciude pact or the antidote had failed or something.

Highlight of this ep Mi-kun giving her sempai a biscuit as the payoff for the biscuit/respect wordplay we'd seen a few times in the earlier episodes.

Off now to catch up on the manga now to see what the fuss is about there.

Hoping for a season 2 in any event, the Gakkou Gurashi! on the road!!
doki-dokiSep 25, 2015 7:43 PM
Sep 25, 2015 7:40 PM

Sep 2011
danieltortoisee said:
bastek66 said:

This is way too unfortunately accurate.

So accurate it hurts.

Lerche was doing an excellent job until they had the terrible idea of making Taromaru so fucking important.

The last episode was terrible because of him.

5/10 just because i acknowledge the good things Leche did.
Sep 25, 2015 7:52 PM

Jul 2015
i remember when i cried on my little puppy die in suffering. this is so sad :<
Sep 25, 2015 8:09 PM

Dec 2012
Bad adaptation T_T
Sep 25, 2015 8:10 PM

May 2009
Alex0714 said:
danieltortoisee said:

So accurate it hurts.

Lerche was doing an excellent job until they had the terrible idea of making Taromaru so fucking important.

The last episode was terrible because of him.

5/10 just because i acknowledge the good things Leche did.

STOP. It was never Lerche's fault. Anime script was done by manga writer himself. He fucked up his own work.
Sep 25, 2015 8:33 PM
Jul 2018
rip taroumaru
Sep 25, 2015 8:48 PM

Dec 2014
Wasn't expecting the finale to be that mellow.

Rip Taroumaru.
danieltortoisee said:
bastek66 said:

So the zombie at the end was Kei. I liked that. Especially the fact that Miki kept it to herself. The appearance of a new character at the end was a nice little tease for a second season (maybe?). If so, I wouldn't mind it. I just hope that I'd be darker though.
Sep 25, 2015 9:33 PM

Mar 2014
Hmm not bad. Could of been better, but it was still enjoyable. I do wonder if we'll ever get a second season though, since they left a possibility with that ending. 6/10
Zanos1Sep 25, 2015 9:45 PM
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Sep 25, 2015 10:38 PM

Oct 2011
AHHHHHHHHH EHHHHHHHHHHH

Cried when Taromaru died T________T

Thank you from Taroumaru killed me on the inside TwT

Kei . she was looking for help all this time T______________T Even in her zombified state

Was that the 2nd dog they mentioned who dug up Yuki's hat???? It had Taroumaru's scent?

That girl who took the post card--SEASON 2 NOW !!!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2015 10:55 PM

Jul 2007
Here are all the manga purists raging at "Taroumaru taking up screentime" and I still can't watch his death scene this episode without tearing up.

Fuck idiots who think this is a bad adaptation.

Zapredon said:
CookingPriest said:

Considering Taroumaru was a zombie for less than a day and died in minutes after the cure, chances are the cure would just simply kill Megu-nee

In Gakkou, when you become zombie, did you die at the same time or just lost consciousness? In most zombie TV series as far as I can remember, once you turn into zombie, it not possible to bring you back to life. You pretty much dead at the same time.

Chances are the "zombie plague" is what was keeping him alive in the first place at that point. So as the vaccine did its work, while he also grew less zombie, he also went weaker and less alive.
Sep 25, 2015 11:11 PM

Feb 2015
frequency15k said:
Thats bullshit and you know it, throughout the entire series they kept saying the zombies were still consious partially, so its possible they could have thought of that sooner.

Stop projecting (I meant what I wrote), and it's plausible that they wouldn't have thought of it sooner, which is what actually matters.

frequency15k said:
And this cure saves the dog and it saves kurumi so its nothing but plot armor for the main characters, and dont tell me ohhh well the dog still died!

The assumption we're supposed to make from that is that the cure won't work on people that have been infected for much longer than Kurumi was; it'll just disinfect and kill them. That's why Miki doesn't stop the car in an attempt to help Kei.

frequency15k said:
Her der its a fucking dog and apparently theres a new one! And now people are speculating it's still the same! Thats fucking idiotic.

Idiotic of the people who believe that? No wonder you hate Yuki. At least the character Miki used that opportunity to understand Yuki better. You know you're allowed to make your own interpretations of certain events, so long as they retain coherency, right?

That some people are willing to speculate that it's the same dog is actually indication that the show's attempt to 'go meta' with its theme succeeded, which is incredibly clever.

frequency15k said:
And if the show is going to take place in a zombie apocalypse then it should act like it, if it swaps back and forth at the drop of a hat it conpletely ruins any immersion that the show had going for it. And why is it a bad thing to expect a zombie apocalypse to take itself seriously? Why is it wrong to take psychological issues seriously? Because its moe? Instead of using it that as a possible contrast it used it as an excuse for jarring tone shifts, thats not good writting, but if you enjoyed the show and think its great well then good on you. I though it was shit and poorly written. (Im right of course) but to each there own...

Yuki has a completely different perspective of events that she does everything in her power to retain, so as long as we're viewing things from her perspective, it's not unreasonable to forget about the zombies; it's not unreasonable for the other characters to be lulled into forgetting about the zombies too. That's why it works. The impact Yuki has on the other characters is mimicked by how the show is presented to the audience. I don't think it's unfair to hate Yuki, but it's certainly the case that how much you can enjoy GG is limited by how willing you are to accept Yuki as a character. It's a double-edged sword.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Sep 25, 2015 11:40 PM

Jul 2014
Having not read any of the manga, I actually really loved this anime! I thought it was really well put together. They were able to draw me into liking every single character, which made it even more painful when we saw some of them go and with their tears as well.
I'll never forget how beautiful the reveal of everything in the first episode was too. I thought it was really well done as they tricked us into believing everything was normal and okay when really, we were just seeing everything through the eyes of Yuki. It was a really big shock for me.
Overall, my biggest praise for this anime was just the organization and flow of everything. All just felt like a big roller coaster ride, going from fun and happy moments to dark and creepy nightmares.
10/10 for me :) Looking forward to reading the manga and hopefully, they make a second season!
Sep 26, 2015 12:18 AM

Jan 2015
zerorequiem_ said:
Wasn't expecting the finale to be that mellow.

Rip Taroumaru.
danieltortoisee said:

So the zombie at the end was Kei. I liked that. Especially the fact that Miki kept it to herself. The appearance of a new character at the end was a nice little tease for a second season (maybe?). If so, I wouldn't mind it. I just hope that I'd be darker though.

tb, after the girls left the school (not counting chapters 31-35) the manga got a lot more interesting, not darker imo.
Sep 26, 2015 1:26 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
So far all complaining is based on two things :

1st) It is not a 1/1 copy about the manga

2nd) The zombie part had to be the main part of the show.

1st) A adaption is a own interpretation of an original work. Even though it does the work of an promotion, it is also like a own work for itself. The way events will take place can be completely different, because a) it is a different media and b) it will interprete the events in a different way.

You should start to see the anime version as a own kind of version. If you want to get the story from the manga , then please feel free to reread it again.

2nd) The show was never based on zombie slaughter action and it never had the intention to do so. It was based on how 4 young girls manage to survive in an apocalyptic scenario with zombie like creature. What this girls do to keep their mind on an mental stable condition and all the necessarily things for survival.

You have to remember : These are 4 teenage girls on their last years on the highschool. They do not have any military training and they never were prepared for all this to happen. The only thing they want to do is surviving.

It was mentioned that Yuki is the only person that secure their stable mind. It is because her happy cheerfulness. Without her it is very likely that they already would lost their mind.
Sep 26, 2015 1:45 AM

May 2009
^ nope, those are not all the complaining about the anime at all. Noone expects from anime to be a 1/1 copy of the manga at all. And the second statement is wrong as well because the main concept of this show is "having a daily life" in a zombie apocalypse. Zombies aren't the main thing in the manga either.

In my case, I really liked the show, but the character development could have been much much better if they also had time for some important things which took place in the manga. I know, seeing Taroumaru dying is really sad but it would have been still shocking enough if they had given him the same screen time as the manga. I mean, like, I remember some episodes where they had to chase him for almost an entire episode. What is the character development behind that in a goddamn 12 episodes show? It's like they took all "realistic" conversations between the girls (where they actually say what they seriously think about everything instead of "smiling is happiness" thingies. For example Miki angrily asking from Yuki to stop "acting" and Yuki literally saying how she is doing it on purpose) and replaced them with Taroumaru.
UnderminESep 26, 2015 1:48 AM
Sep 26, 2015 3:22 AM

Jul 2015
^
"i'm not complaining about the anime not being a 1/1 copy of the manga BUT this is not the same thing so i'm complaining"

Forget about the manga and try to be objective with the anime.
Sep 26, 2015 3:32 AM

Feb 2010
Quite underwhelming for a finale imo
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Sep 26, 2015 3:41 AM

Sep 2010
shion16 said:

Taromaru final words killed me.
I dropped tons of manly tears, and some not that manly tears T.T

Can confirm, did the same
Sep 26, 2015 4:07 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
UnderminE said:
^ nope, those are not all the complaining about the anime at all. Noone expects from anime to be a 1/1 copy of the manga at all.

UnderminE said:

In my case, I really liked the show, but the character development could have been much much better if they also had time for some important things which took place in the manga.

First you say that you would not complain about the difference between anime and manga and then you say that they could have picked up the things that happened in the manga.

Many of the posts in the thread about Gakkou Gurashi are about that the anime did the things in a different way then the manga did. If you do not believe me than you should read the complaints more carefully. It was also about that the manga did the school leaving thing in a completely different way then the anime did. And also that they skipped parts of the manga (even with screen shot prove).

This statements are all about that the anime did go a own kind of way with the same goal. It is a own interpretation and it does not have to be the same as the manga.

UnderminE said:

I know, seeing Taroumaru dying is really sad but it would have been still shocking enough if they had given him the same screen time as the manga. I mean, like, I remember some episodes where they had to chase him for almost an entire episode. What is the character development behind that in a goddamn 12 episodes show?

That did happen in the episode 1 and episode 10. The first episode was about Yuki and her illusional dream world. It was about to create a nice mindfuck in the end of this episode.

UnderminE said:

It's like they took all "realistic" conversations between the girls (where they actually say what they seriously think about everything instead of "smiling is happiness" thingies. For example Miki angrily asking from Yuki to stop "acting" and Yuki literally saying how she is doing it on purpose) and replaced them with Taroumaru.

That happened all in the manga, did it not ? Great and even though the anime chooses his own path to go. And even though that is the case Yuki has a great development from escaping of her own protection (the illusional world) to save her friends and to understand the behaviour of the strange humanlike creatures.

UnderminE said:

And the second statement is wrong as well because the main concept of this show is "having a daily life" in a zombie apocalypse. Zombies aren't the main thing in the manga either.

I was not talking about the concept of the show. I was talking about the complaints that this series does choose the way to portray the survival act and does not choose to portray gore splatter movements. And there are also many people who wrote that they had expected this series to have more zombie action.
CyanwasserstoffSep 26, 2015 4:27 AM
Sep 26, 2015 4:28 AM

Dec 2012
Got bored, ended up just skipping past all the touchy feely scenes. If this got you interested in the manga, you'll have to start from the beginning. This is based on the manga rather than adapted. Not saying that, that is a good or bad thing. Though I did find the anime comparatively lacking in tension and the psychological struggles that the manga offers :L
Objurgo, said:

The highlight of the anime was the reveal at the start. It's just too bad they couldn't top the creepy eeriness of that scene. It was definitely lacking in tension compared to the manga. I did sort of enjoy all the little tid bit easter eggs they threw in though

EDIT: Also a serious lack of urgency in some cases. Kurumi infected and in serious trouble. 'I'll just stand here and talk to a zombie for a couple minutes." Zombies all over the place and friends in desperate need of a distraction? "Think I'll just sit here and hallucinate for a while."
Sep 26, 2015 4:54 AM

Dec 2012
Like many people, I'm disappointed that Taromaru took so much screen time. I like dogs but not when they steal all the screen time ...
I expected something else but this last episode was ok. I hope there will be a second season without dog and more focused on the girls.
SakaitsuSep 26, 2015 4:58 AM
Sep 26, 2015 6:11 AM

Sep 2013
I hope 2 second season is relase
Sep 26, 2015 6:26 AM

Aug 2015
CookingPriest said:
Here are all the manga purists raging at "Taroumaru taking up screentime" and I still can't watch his death scene this episode without tearing up.

This is why I respect LN readers more than Manga readers these days
MizunashiSep 26, 2015 10:43 AM
Sep 26, 2015 7:44 AM

May 2011
fredchickens said:
CookingPriest said:

This is why I respect LN readers more than Manga readers these days

ikr, how dare they have a different opinion than yours!
Sep 26, 2015 8:14 AM

Jul 2015
this goddamn dog ruined the whole ending for me, the series overall was fine to 6th episode, the other half was far far worse, not recommending this anime, read manga
Sep 26, 2015 8:17 AM

Feb 2015
TheWrogaer said:
this goddamn dog ruined the whole ending for me, the series overall was fine to 6th episode, the other half was far far worse, not recommending this anime, read manga

Honestly, reading the manga, I'd recommend the anime first, then the manga.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Sep 26, 2015 8:29 AM

Nov 2010
Great anime. enjoyed it a lot.

8/10
Sep 26, 2015 8:38 AM

Apr 2014
My thoughts about this final episode:

Okay this anime had quite well adapted the manga. Despite the ending was kinda rushed.
Anyway I'll rate this 7 (or 8) score out of 10 overall. And I really enjoyed watching it till the end.
I might watch a sequel If they are gonna plan to make one. But it's gonna take long. I guess time to go back reading the manga!
Haters always gonna hate.
Sep 26, 2015 8:40 AM
Sep 2015
Superb ending to a decent anime. If only they had removed the dog this would have been a masterclass in zombie fiction
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

289 by PahLevia »»
Feb 16, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

228 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Feb 6, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2015

328 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Jan 28, 12:28 AM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

226 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Jan 24, 11:57 PM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2015

227 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Jan 20, 7:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.