Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
School-Live!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 25, 2015 1:35 AM

Jan 2013
Started off strong then went up and down as the series progressed. In particular, Episode 11 was amazing but this episode was pretty weak. Still enjoyable overall though. Will give a manga a go later.
Sep 25, 2015 1:54 AM

Jul 2007
It seems that a lot of complainers are people who expected this to be a pure zombie show - as in focusing on zombie killing.
Understandable, considering Gakkou gurashi is NOT that - it is a show about four girls LIVING in such a world. Zombies are the terror by the corner of the eye, but the focus is on how those girls deal with such conditions and life.
Sep 25, 2015 1:57 AM

Aug 2014
Meh overall, had a fun first episode and good OST and directing, but it didn't live up to my expectations. 6/10
Sep 25, 2015 2:02 AM
Jan 2015
YoxalLoyal said:
bastek66 said:

Why isn't Taroumaru listed as the main character...

For God's sake, for a moment there I nearly pulled my hair off because of that damn dog standing up even after he got bit and became infected for quite a while. Fortunately, it didn't actually survive afterwards.
KnackSplashSep 25, 2015 2:06 AM
Sep 25, 2015 2:03 AM

Jan 2013
bastek66 said:
Jesus Christ, this fucking dog ruined everything. Why was that little shit suddenly alive?

Agreed. Around two minutes into the episode I had to stop for a bit. How stupid is it, that the dog suddenly starts killing zombies. The zombies never attack each other; why would the mutt do it now?
Sep 25, 2015 2:05 AM
Jul 2018
I wanted a tragic ending to be honest. And they didn't explain the thing about zombies either.. and the ending of the last episode.. I smell season 2.
Sep 25, 2015 2:06 AM

Jan 2015
I expected from this more psychological parts, less SoL parts...

Still really enjoyable anime.
I'm not sure if I should give it 8 or 9, so I will decided that later based on manga.
Sep 25, 2015 2:08 AM

Jul 2007
politoadboy said:
CookingPriest said:
It seems that a lot of complainers are people who expected this to be a pure zombie show - as in focusing on zombie killing.
Understandable, considering Gakkou gurashi is NOT that - it is a show about four girls LIVING in such a world. Zombies are the terror by the corner of the eye, but the focus is on how those girls deal with such conditions and life.

It doesn't help that 90% of its popularity is because it appeals to people that want loli fan service. If the characters weren't made to be moeblobs/weren't sexualised It could have been better.

Not really.
The design and the themes it explores helps to create a strong disconnect between the visuals and narrative, which helps to emphasize the surreal situation those characters are living in, creating a contrast which emphasizes the conflict within their minds between the hopeless present situation and an illusion of hope, which is kind of the main theme of the show.
Sep 25, 2015 2:09 AM

Jan 2013
Yea, this finale blows. Fucking plot armors.
Sep 25, 2015 2:11 AM
Jan 2015
CondemneDio said:
bastek66 said:
Jesus Christ, this fucking dog ruined everything. Why was that little shit suddenly alive?

Agreed. Around two minutes into the episode I had to stop for a bit. How stupid is it, that the dog suddenly starts killing zombies. The zombies never attack each other; why would the mutt do it now?

Don't get me started on that...
Sep 25, 2015 2:15 AM

May 2012
politoadboy said:
Caelidesu said:

Yuki's character design allows the show to shift between SOL and horror instantaneously without turning the show into a farce.

The writing shows a degree of self-awareness, in the 'lampshading' of apparently plot contrivances as well as referencing of similar works.

The show has plenty of easter eggs and pieces of foreshadowing that are just subtle enough to allow you to convince yourself that certain foreshadowed events may or may not happen.

Also, they managed to avoid having a 'zombie of the week'. There was a variance, where some episodes were tense while others felt more relaxed.

Well, to each their own.
Also I think he was referring to the fact that no-one ended up dying and taromaru just ended up getting replaced by another dog anyway

hey look a bunch of responses, well first off, if they could have just sent the zombies home... you know, then WHY THE FUCK didnt they try that 12 episodes ago?..., thats how. and what do i think the show does well? at a few points the atmosphere actually feels dark and heavy like it should in you know, a zombie apocalypse, and you could feel some tension, then a magic cure comes along and all the tension just fades away... nice... aside from that, i wouldnt say it did too much right, i mean the pacing was horrific...so many episodes felt like they didnt contribute to the plot at all, and to address the autistic main character:how does the character design allow for jarring shifts like that? cause shes moe? and has ptsd? sure. and yes i noticed the foreshadowing, it wasnt that hard to notice, but what the fuck is the point if its all gonna be rendered pointless in the end anyways? and yes it was self aware, which is fine, but the pacing was so bad that that hardly feels like it matters... if the show could have kept up the tension better and actually made it feel like they were in real danger it may have been better... i mean... danger? in a zombie apocolypse? nahhh lets play water guns instead.... the show doesnt even want to be taken seriously at that point... and yes the dog thing was stupid as well... oh and sorry if some of those questions werent addressed to me, but this is how i feel about the show as a whole, good and bad
frequency15kSep 25, 2015 2:21 AM
Sep 25, 2015 2:38 AM

May 2011
Taroumaru Gurashi!

I'm sure if there's ever be second season of this, that Taroumaru Mk.II will join the cast and have pretty much the same role as the first one.

7/10
Sep 25, 2015 2:43 AM

Jan 2015
CondemneDio said:
bastek66 said:

In the world, where zombies behave like normal humans (go to school, try hide from rain, write etc.), this situation isn't suprissing.
Dogs have instint to protect their owner. In that moment this instinct take control over him, but when "danger disappeared", he started bahaves more like zombie.
Sep 25, 2015 2:45 AM

Feb 2015
frequency15k said:
politoadboy said:

Well, to each their own.
Also I think he was referring to the fact that no-one ended up dying and taromaru just ended up getting replaced by another dog anyway

hey look a bunch of responses, well first off, if they could have just sent the zombies home... you know, then WHY THE FUCK didnt they try that 12 episodes ago?...

Because no-one realised that they could do that until Yuki had an epiphany, inspired by the realisation that zombie Taroumaru was retaining some memories and performing actions based off of those memories. You're basically complaining that the characters actually took time to work out a solution to a problem, which is practically complaining that the show is being realistic.

frequency15k said:
then a magic cure comes along and all the tension just fades away...

Except that it only works on recently infected people (hell, we didn't even know that it would work at all), which means that the zombies are still a threat and that the show retains consistency.

frequency15k said:
i mean the pacing was horrific...so many episodes felt like they didnt contribute to the plot at all

I agree that the pacing wasn't good. I don't mind that some episodes were pure SOL, but I think they should have spent more time developing Miki and Kei in the mall.

frequency15k said:
and to address the autistic main character:how does the character design allow for jarring shifts like that? cause shes moe? and has ptsd? sure.

Yuki has a completely different perspective of events that she does everything in her power to retain, so as long as we're viewing things from that perspective, it's not unreasonable to forget about the zombies; it's not unreasonable for the other characters to be lulled into forgetting about the zombies too. That's why it works. The impact it has on the characters mimics the impact it has on the audience, that is, so long as you're not too busy hating Yuki. I don't think it's unfair to hate Yuki, but it's certainly the case that how much you can enjoy GG is limited by how willing you are to accept Yuki as a character. It's a double-edged sword.

frequency15k said:
if the show could have kept up the tension better and actually made it feel like they were in real danger it may have been better... i mean... danger? in a zombie apocolypse? nahhh lets play water guns instead.... the show doesnt even want to be taken seriously at that point...

Speaking of delusions and constructing your own reality, you're operating under the idea that 'the show doesnt even want to be taken seriously at that point' because it's not conforming to your expectations of how people should behave in a given situation. My contention is that the way they were acting actually wasn't all that unbelievable. They (the characters) wanted to forget that they were in real danger, and you took that bait, hook, line, and sinker, and marked that as a point against the show. I find that funny!

frequency15k said:
and yes the dog thing was stupid as well...

It was a total missed opportunity. I wish they kept that shot of the dog by the grave, but made it look as though Taroumaru was possibly still alive, tricking the wilfully ignorant portion of the audience in a way that also references the themes of the show.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Sep 25, 2015 2:55 AM

Jan 2013
mmh. Read "I am a Hero" instead of this meandering moe slice of life that happens to take place in a zombie setting.

5/10
Sep 25, 2015 2:59 AM

Mar 2013
I think that dog at the end was Taroumarou turning (again), dug his way out of his shallow grave along with the hat. I don't think we'll see much of him again though as he won't know where the girls are going, so he'll only show up again if the girls go back there in S2. Otherwise it's just something to hammer in the fact that the vaccine was administered too late to make any real difference to him, except to give him a few brief moments of conscious thought again.
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
Sep 25, 2015 3:04 AM

Feb 2015
Caelidesu said:
frequency15k said:
and yes the dog thing was stupid as well...

It was a total missed opportunity. I wish they kept that shot of the dog by the grave, but made it look as though Taroumaru was possibly still alive, tricking the wilfully ignorant portion of the audience in a way that also references the themes of the show.

Riotstarter said:
I think that dog at the end was Taroumarou turning (again), dug his way out of his shallow grave along with the hat.

Well fuck. Apparently the dog scene worked anyway. Well played, Lerche. Maybe I should give the show a 9/10 after all.

I just can't though. Not with all the artistic laziness and narm.

Sep 25, 2015 3:04 AM

Jul 2013
Not gonna lie I was a bit disappointed on how the whole entire zombie crisis was resolved. But I guess I can't be too mad because they've been hinting that the zombies still retain a bit of their memories a couple episodes back.

But besides that the rest of the episode was fantastic. Definitely felt some feels and felt the water pressure behind my eyes.

8/10.
Wouldn't mind a second season.
Sep 25, 2015 3:13 AM

Mar 2013
Caelidesu said:
Caelidesu said:

Riotstarter said:
I think that dog at the end was Taroumarou turning (again), dug his way out of his shallow grave along with the hat.

Well fuck. Apparently the dog scene worked anyway. Well played, Lerche. Maybe I should give the show a 9/10 after all.

I just can't though. Not with all the artistic laziness and narm.

Well I don't like how the fur is suddenly paler and more ragged but it looked far too big to be the "puppy" that the girls speculated about during the episode. And we know how Lerche loved to make things decay so quickly after it goes to shit so they'll probably argue that having been buried, his fur became ruffled and dirtied or something. The return of zombie dog is what I'd like to believe happened until they resolve it in S2 anyway.
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
Sep 25, 2015 3:17 AM

Oct 2014
I will miss this series, sequel please.
nkdfxsSep 25, 2015 3:20 AM
Sep 25, 2015 3:18 AM

Nov 2012
Kurumi didn't die. All is well.
Sep 25, 2015 3:23 AM

Aug 2014
I really hope for another season. This has great potential.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Sep 25, 2015 3:31 AM

Apr 2012
10/10, really glad I picked this show up. Definitely one of my favorites.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Sep 25, 2015 3:54 AM
Sep 2015
Xenocrisi said:
VanishingKira said:
Not as innovative or good as people made it out to be 5/10.

your opinion =/ everyone else's opinion

For me 11/10 ^_^
Kurumi save, taroumaru hero, and a new season soon ^_^
Sep 25, 2015 3:57 AM
Sep 2015
Nachtwandler_21 said:
They cut most of the graduation but still ended almost the same as ch. 30 ending. There's 38 or 39 chapters published. Not enough material for S2. We need to wait 2 years at best cause manga is monthly one.

s02 more exploration,
maybe they can make 12 episode without problems.
Sep 25, 2015 4:17 AM

Jan 2011
I cant believe they put more screentime to Taroumaru's farewell than Kurumi's recovery. Dont get me wrong, Taroumaru's scene is so well done, I like it, but compared to that, Kurumi's scene is so plain and looks anti-climatic.

The graduation scene was alright, I dont know but because the previous scene was Taroumaru-focused, then suddenly they have graduation ceremony. The build-up's not really nice.

But nah, I dont really like the idea that Yuki tell the zombie to go home and they dissapeared from school completely. And in such a short time too (well maybe its just the presentation, but its still misleading and anti-climatic). Yuki's speech was moving, indeed, but I think its not good for to be the main reason, literally, that made zombies left school. Yuki can still keep her broadcasting, but for different effect. Misleading zombies to find the sound's source, then saved Miki and buy enough time to saved temporary spot for them to depart later.

===spoiler for anime-only watcher
Sep 25, 2015 4:25 AM

Jun 2014
That cliffhanger in the end is telling me to read the mango! >.<

Sad that Taroumaru died and trying to eat the dog food was miserable any way you look at it...
Nice graduation ceremony to signify the end of their stay in the school. 7/10
All credit goes to Sacred.
Sep 25, 2015 4:28 AM

Apr 2013
So best girl gets to live and worst dog gets to die. Nice ending!

Overall I liked it pretty much, and although the ending wrapped things up nicely enough I wouldn't mind a 2nd season. It wasn't the best anime and there could have been more focus on the survival parts and less on that annoying dog, but I still see it as one of the better shows this season.

And once again, not reading the manga seems to make things more enjoyable for me^^
Sep 25, 2015 4:30 AM

Sep 2012
Unexpected ending actually. I thought it would be a bit more gruesome. But apparently not. Bittersweet graduation then. I was kind of hoping the idea of graduation was more ominous.

Wow, that part with Taroumaru was so sad. I teared up big time. Almost cried, but alas I have a roommate. Damn though. I looked up all happy and then died. The feels! I was kind of scared they'd go for a full happy ending, but I'm glad that they added the part where Taroumaru dies even if it's sad. Would've been too much for him to survive as well.

Not getting the dog at the end. The hat is there, but it doesn't look like Taroumaru dug himself out. Don't care all that much though.

Kei's appearance was a nice touch. She's a bit late to school, but at least Miki got to see her before she left school for good. And the lady at the end was definitely an interesting sighting. Season 2 hopefully. I'm still going to go finish reading the manga. It was nice while it lasted. Definitely a favorite of the season.

"It's a conversation through instruments. A miracle that creates harmony. In that moment, music transcends words." - Miyazono Kaori
"Laziness is the mother of all bad habits. But ultimately she is a mother and we should respect her." - Nara Shikamaru
"You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things... Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest." - Orihara Izaya
Sep 25, 2015 4:33 AM

Feb 2015
From episode 10. Miki's review of episode 12.

Sep 25, 2015 5:03 AM

Feb 2008
The finale concluded the season fairly well indeed, better than I expected, in fact. Taroumaru's actions also felt appropriate, they even left some loose stings for another season, mainly in the form of the post-credits scene.

All in all, it was a rather enjoyable show, some excessive fan-service SoL parts aside. I will definitely be following the following season as well, should it be animated.
Sep 25, 2015 5:03 AM

Jan 2013
This anime was actually better than I expected. And it was really sad to see how Taroumaru died...but I'm glad that Kurumi survived.
So the dog at the end...was that the puppy that Taroumaru wanted to save?
I hope there will be a sequel, I would be looking forward to it.

Sep 25, 2015 5:07 AM

Feb 2011
so the next shelter is a college? very fitting after their graduation xD

quiet ending

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Sep 25, 2015 6:19 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
@politoadboy:

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Yeah, there are people who really watched the show to get Zombie Horror splatter at an high level.

The atmosphere did change after episode 9 completely. This show was about 4 girls who doing their best to survive. In that situation the mind of people can even break and that would cause a very heavy trauma.

Thats why it was good to see the girls being girls and try to think about a way to forget their situation. That was also told by the series. The only reason for the girls to stay with an healthy mind was Yuki and her cheerfulness. Thats the reason how they were able to handle this kind of situation.

These are highschool girls and not super hero and close combat specialists like in other series. They have to deal with the situation also mentally.

This show did manage to portray 4 young girls living in a school in a apokalypse zombie setting very well.

Okay, but the artstyle could at least be done better in the way that these girls really looked like highschoolers. That was my only problem here.

About the Zombie keeping their memories: Gakkou Gurashi is not the first series who is about Zombie with memories about their human life. And I think they handled it very well.

In its own Gakkou Gurashi tried something new and it is unique in that way. I like the series and will give it a score of 9 from 10.
Sep 25, 2015 6:28 AM

Jul 2007
Cyanwasserstoff said:
@politoadboy:

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Yeah, there are people who really watched the show to get Zombie Horror splatter at an high level.

The atmosphere did change after episode 9 completely. This show was about 4 girls who doing their best to survive. In that situation the mind of people can even break and that would cause a very heavy trauma.

Thats why it was good to see the girls being girls and try to think about a way to forget their situation. That was also told by the series. The only reason for the girls to stay with an healthy mind was Yuki and her cheerfulness. Thats the reason how they were able to handle this kind of situation.

These are highschool girls and not super hero and close combat specialists like in other series. They have to deal with the situation also mentally.

This show did manage to portray 4 young girls living in a school in a apokalypse zombie setting very well.

Okay, but the artstyle could at least be done better in the way that these girls really looked like highschoolers. That was my only problem here.

About the Zombie keeping their memories: Gakkou Gurashi is not the first series who is about Zombie with memories about their human life. And I think they handled it very well.

In its own Gakkou Gurashi tried something new and it is unique in that way. I like the series and will give it a score of 9 from 10.

agreed.

I like that the main cast are imperfect children/teenagers and that they do not suddenly become some badass zombie fighters. They are handling the situation the exact way most of people their age would

"We gonna fight the zombies omg so tense" kind of shows are so freaking overdone and as a certain meta-convo in iZombie goes, the genre has already been killed by over-saturation, and the only way to make it back up is to surprise people with something different.

And Gakkou Gurashi WAS different - it took worn down dead horse setting of zombie apocalypse and made a compelling psychological life story/thriller out of it.
Sep 25, 2015 6:32 AM

Feb 2013
DarklordVor said:
Apparently.... Megu-nee is always with them. In case you doubt it, when Yuki nod her head, her shadow (or Megu-nee) didn't move.

Wow, that's kinda creepy :o didn't notice that while watching.
Sep 25, 2015 6:36 AM

Oct 2014
9/10 Almost AOTS (if it weren't for Pool Ep.)

Honestly, i don't get why people complain about Taroumaru and SoL at all. SoL in this Series had it's own charm, unlike other Series. The only SoL i didn't like was the Pool ep.

Now time to pick up le Manga :D
Sep 25, 2015 6:37 AM

May 2010
Ahh, when you compare it to the manga, you can't help but feel bitter... This needed at least 15/16 episodes to be a perfect adaptation, but oh well. It was still pretty great though. Some of the characterization was messed up. Which makes me wonder what are they going to do if they ever make a S2 (judging from its popularity, there is bound to be one) It kept a more lighthearted pace than the manga. Adapting Yuuri and Yuki's coming events is going to be difficult. Wish they foreshadowed a spoiler related to Kurumi as well.

Still great. Made me interested enough to read the manga (which is even more amazing) which means it served its purpose. 9/10
Sep 25, 2015 7:06 AM

Feb 2014
Well, I'm happy the dog is dead and Kurumi survived.
This could have been so much better without the dog but whatever, still going to give it 10/10.
Sep 25, 2015 7:26 AM

Nov 2014
I don't know what to rate this, either 8 or 9.
It was great, really. It brung out one of things I like about anime, and it's the combination of odd things and genres. Certainly, it's apparent with Gakkou Gurashi, combining the usually happy SoL genre with the bleak implications of a Zombie apocalypse with the cast being children, which just won't happen in any western works in this day and age.

Also, LOL at the people still going in this expecting some all-out survival action show. I mean, really.
Wall of text incoming
politoadboy said:
CookingPriest said:

Not really.
The design and the themes it explores helps to create a strong disconnect between the visuals and narrative, which helps to emphasize the surreal situation those characters are living in, creating a contrast which emphasizes the conflict within their minds between the hopeless present situation and an illusion of hope, which is kind of the main theme of the show.

Yeah it is the main theme of the show. Yuki reminds us of that nearly every episode by realising there are zombies, getting freaked out and then forgetting and going back to being bubbly- it's horribly formulaic.
Creates a strong disconnect between the visuals and narrative? What narrative? Nothing happens outside of the flashbacks until episode 11, where there is forced drama of Kurumi turning into a zombie, but then *don't worry* there is an antidote and everything's okay. Not to mention there are barely any zombies inside the school until the plot demands it to create tension.
Taking a moeblob art-style and sticking it into an edgy setting doesn't make the art style any better. This show clearly caters to an audience that wants fan service- do the promotional posters showcase the contrast between the characters and their surroundings? Do they demonstrate this "strong disconnect"? No. All the promotional posters are little lolis changing their clothes, wearing bikinis and shit like that, plus the fan service in the actual series. I'm not even bothered by fan service if the show doesn't try anything else, but Gakkou gurashi wants to be a deep, psychoanalysis- having characters strip for no apparent reason doesn't add anything other than to cater to an audience they know will help sell their shit- stop kidding yourself.
Suppose you ignore this, or aren't bothered by it- would you care to explain the depth of these characters? Because if you're saying the main theme of this show is psychoanalysis then there must be some pretty interesting characters right?
Nope, just a typical slice of life group of girls. Even if you take the fan service away they are 1-dimensional. Like I said, If gakkou gurashi was just trying to be a slice of life that's fine, I'd never criticise a SoL for having shallow characters- but it wants to be more, and it can't decide what it wants its characters to be. complex or simple? cute or to be taken seriously? a slice of life or a thriller/horror? It doesn't work.

lmao
1. Um yeah, have you never paid attention to what Yuki's character is? She basically serves as the "clown" of the show, which serves as the other characters source of hope and to lessen out the despair they have, considering the situation they're in. Up until episode 11, Yuki realizes the zombies but completely blocks them out again afterwards, because, you know, it's her character. She doesn't WANT that, she doesn't want to accept it, so her mind blocks them all out again.
In episode 12, she still retains her cheerfulness despite her awareness, because of what Megu-nee said to her during that little flashback in episode 11.
2. Suddenly, groups of buzzwords create a sentence, claiming criticism despite being not.
"nothing happens outside of flashbacks"
It's a way of storytelling, which is not inherently bad nor is it good.
"forced drama"
Yes, because drama you don't like = forced. Because apparently, a friend becoming a monster won't make anyone dramatic and sad.
"but don't worry, there is an antidote and everything's okay"
Seeing as it's a school ready for the zombie apocalypse, it should be no surprise. They've made the entire school as if just for the zombie apocalypse, at this time the government probably has researched about medicine to counter the biological weapon as well. I would agree that it's a bit sudden, but it's not exactly out of nowhere.
"Not to mention there are barely any zombies inside the school until the plot demands it to create tension."
Uhh you know, the rain. The show has always hinted that the zombies have retained some of their daily memories, and when it's raining they obviously take shelter. Yuki has mentioned that it has never rained this hard before, and remembers "that" day.
Also, yes it's to create tension. Is creating tension bad now all of a sudden, when it's a staple used in any story with drama?
3. Is catering bad? Nope. Does it take away from the content that Gakkou Gurashi gave? Nope, if anything, it worked with it since it gave the atmosphere of the show a boost, with delusion and being unable to let go being part of the show's themes. Do promotional posters mean shit to the content of the anime? Nope.
Does a moeblob artstyle in a edgy show make the show bad? Nope. It works with it as well, giving the viewer the impression that these girls are just little girls, and that is indeed the truth.
"I'm not even bothered by fan service if the show doesn't try anything else, but Gakkou gurashi wants to be a deep, psychoanalysis- having characters strip for no apparent reason doesn't add anything other than to cater to an audience they know will help sell their shit- stop kidding yourself."
Oh wow, nitpicking. Does this small event that is shown for an extremely short amount of time and does not anything that significant to the flow of the story other than to build up to the tragic events that is episode 10 as it reminds us that they are little girls who merely wants to live like normal girls in a messed up world, does a girl taking away her clothes in a bath take all the content that Gakkou Gurashi gave? Nope. Oh, don't get me wrong, it definitely is for fanservice, and I usually also dislike fanservice do I'm a bit indifferent about it. However, it does not mean that a particular scene can only be grounded to only one particular purpose, it certainly does not.
4. Interesting is a very subjective term, as what interests me might not interest you.
Ahh, the return of the rant "one-dimensional characters". How romantic.
A one-dimensional character would mean that said character is only grounded by a certain trait, and absolutely nothing else. There is no depth to them, and they only act that way because they act that way. Nothing more, nothing less. Is this the case for Gakkou Gurashi? Absolutely not, I'm afraid.
Yuki is a girl that wants to retain her normal life, and is afraid of the actual real happenings. Is it the only thing in her? It should be obvious that it is not. She serves as the happy girl of the group, cheering them up because that's what she's good at, even stated by Megu-nee. Her despair and delusion can be attributed to the deaths of her numerous friends, and again by Megu-nee, so she has depth within her actions.
Miki's personality is even hard to explain in one sentence. Two episodes were dedicated for her: her past, her ideals, and her wants in life.
Kurumi serves as the "buff" the of team, very energetic. Of course, that isn't the whole characteristic she has either. She has a strong heart, stronger than most of the club members because she was the first one to kill a zombie, and it was the one she loves even. She then killed her once schoolmates left and right, acting as the one burdening probably the hardest part of the apocalypse.
Yuuri serves as the calm leader of the group, and for good reason. She is the one that is mostly given responsibilities. For Yuki and for the School-live club by Megu-nee, and for the life of Kurumi. With that, she needs to act calm or else everyone won't stay calm, as is the case with leadership. She is the least developed of the group, but nevertheless it doesn't make her some worthless character either.

The contrast makes the show. If you don't like it, then you don't. It does work, not just for you. I particularly like how even if the show shows the viewer happiness, you still have this feeling in the back of your mind that something is wrong, for something is wrong. Yuki's delusions is one, and the fact that their happiness could be crushed in a setting like this in an instant. This is why episodes 10-12 were so great, for the set-up worked imo.

Sep 25, 2015 7:27 AM

Oct 2009
Hope there will be more.
Sep 25, 2015 7:39 AM
Apr 2014
>Yuki using the speaker to drive off every zombie in the school
k
I didnt like them skipping directly to the conclusion of Miki bringing back the medicine and Taromaru
I wish they would've added the stipulation that Kurumi has to deal with after being "cured"
The graduation speech was pretty well done
One of the characters of the next arc appearing in a cliffhanger was a very nice touch

Overall shitty adaptation with some pretty good ideas here and there like the Megu-nee reveal with the music going down or the first episode reveal.
But 9 episodes of pointless moe SOL with all the key drama scenes from the manga removed, Miki's character drastically changed in the anime, Rii-san's character was the one damaged the most because the heli arc was skipped, also fuck the filler dog.
4/10, go read the manga it flows much better.
Drake1000Sep 25, 2015 3:20 PM
Sep 25, 2015 7:54 AM

Oct 2014
First episode of GG I actually really disliked. 2/5. Seriously, Jesus Taromarou? All 4 girls basically got saved due Taromarou's heroism? All girls talk over ten minutes about how awesome Taromarou was but Kurumi's recovery and everyone being happy is only worth 30 seconds? Her not dieing is why this episode didn't got a 1/5, but man was I mad to see the dog not only suddenly saving Yuki out of nowhere but also coming back from the dead due the medicine and then dieing and no longer turning into a zombie! If that freaking cure is so goddamn impressive to bring back the dead and prevent you from turning into a zombie why wasn't the whole town populartion injected with that before the outbreak with some bullshit excuse like preventation against some disease?Gawd, zombie Taromarou's behaviour made no sense especially compared to Megu-nee...
Sep 25, 2015 7:56 AM
Jun 2015
I mean, it was alright I guess. Nothing memorable.
Sep 25, 2015 8:00 AM

Feb 2015
The feels......
Taromaru saved the day!!!! and then he died....:(. Goodbye Taromaru!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a really nice ending and i want a second season. 9/10

Did this mean there will be a second season ? I really hope they will make another season!
Sep 25, 2015 8:02 AM

Jul 2007
James_Rye said:
First episode of GG I actually really disliked. 2/5. Seriously, Jesus Taromarou? All 4 girls basically got saved due Taromarou's heroism? All girls talk over ten minutes about how awesome Taromarou was but Kurumi's recovery and everyone being happy is only worth 30 seconds? Her not dieing is why this episode didn't got a 1/5, but man was I mad to see the dog not only suddenly saving Yuki out of nowhere but also coming back from the dead due the medicine and then dieing and no longer turning into a zombie! If that freaking cure is so goddamn impressive to bring back the dead and prevent you from turning into a zombie why wasn't the whole town populartion injected with that before the outbreak with some bullshit excuse like preventation against some disease?Gawd, zombie Taromarou's behaviour made no sense especially compared to Megu-nee...

Taroumaru was symbol of their ignorant happy lives in the school club. By Graduating and moving on and having to bury him they buried a big part of that life, which is shown with Miki moving on from her past with Kei and Yuki's change from her delusions.
That ignorance let them move on and live on and not die from despair and in same way Taroumaru let them escape the school. It is only fitting to give a goodbye to that.

Taroumaru's behavior makes sense - if Megu-nee had some remaining sense to sit tight in the basement to not hurt the girls and other zombies have followed residuals habits from their normal lives, it only makes sense that the dog would still have the remaining habit to protect their owner(even if for a split second and reverting afterward).
Sep 25, 2015 8:03 AM

Dec 2012
I haven't read the manga nor do I plan on reading it. I watch anime and that's it.

Regardless, this was a pretty fun ride. I'm sure some things are questionable but the ending was satisfying to me from a narrative standpoint. If anything Yuki's sudden development / speech / genius ideas were a bit off since she was known to be an airhead. Also, how the final arc pretty much generated from Taroumaru running off. (Would anything have happened if he didn't? will never know).

The dog's death really got to me since I can somehow relate. That was handled pretty well.

Even the pointless SoL episodes were somehow useful since they contribute to getting attached to the characters and their antics, so that when you witness it all crumbling down it feels more meaningful and perhaps even shocking (as opposed to them being in danger all the time).

8/10 for me. Hopefully a second season soon.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Sep 25, 2015 8:07 AM

Jul 2010
Am I the only one who didnt mind Taroumaru? His last scene made me cry... but I also dont get why he was ... alive? at the end... He changed back into zombie or what?
Sep 25, 2015 8:27 AM

Jul 2007
Infatuate said:
speech / genius ideas were a bit off since she was known to be an airhead.

Except not? She always subconsciously generated the most fitting ideas and goals to the group - Kurumi even talked about that with Miki on how it is Yuki who happens to just randomly come up with the things that ends up being what they need the most.

Also, how the final arc pretty much generated from Taroumaru running off. (Would anything have happened if he didn't? will never know).

The zombies breaking in had nothing to do with Taroumaru so majority of it all would still be there.
Sep 25, 2015 8:32 AM

Nov 2011
I enjoyed it and it was really something 8/10

I usually hate these kinds of people but...

The manga did it so much better T_T

I really hate people who say this.
But what they did with this adaption here is...

Melcookie96Sep 25, 2015 8:52 AM
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

289 by PahLevia »»
Feb 16, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

228 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Feb 6, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2015

328 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Jan 28, 12:28 AM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

226 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Jan 24, 11:57 PM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2015

227 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Jan 20, 7:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.