Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 13, 2009 11:06 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Rather entertaining series indeed. I thought it had a pretty average start, then around the 3rd/4th episode it started to get good, and finally the last 3 episodes hit the spot. What I really liked about this series was how every character had a very unique personality and ability and how their "stands" were so distinct with such unique powers.

Now to the older series to see how this ends!

Having NOT seen the previous Jojo's Bizarre Adventure from 1993 yet, and from my little knowledge of the Tarot cards and their meaning (and from what we've seen so far) I'll make a guess and say Dio's Stand is the one of the Death card (I dunno, its probably pretty obvious, but maybe I'm just wrong xD).
Mar 22, 2013 9:39 PM

Jun 2009
It may be because I've read the manga before watching this, but I didn't care for this at all. A lot of cool stands were skipped and I think the characters personalities weren't portrayed very well. I think only Jotaro and Polnareff actually felt like themselves. Just a very weak adaptation all around from the character designs to how many changes they made. I highly suggest reading the manga at some point.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 25, 2013 8:16 AM

Feb 2010
Ep.6 and Ep.7 are the best part of the 2000 series.
May 24, 2013 7:09 AM

Jul 2012
I just watched something 7 episodes long that started with Jotoro being in a prison and ended with Jotoro defeating an old woman with a death controlling stand. The good guys were heading to Egypt. They have not met Dio yet.

Now, can someone please tell me, do I get it right that this is it for the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2000 series, or are there more episodes? This anime confuses me.
May 24, 2013 7:19 AM

Jun 2009
sindarfrom said:
I just watched something 7 episodes long that started with Jotoro being in a prison and ended with Jotoro defeating an old woman with a death controlling stand. The good guys were heading to Egypt. They have not met Dio yet.

Now, can someone please tell me, do I get it right that this is it for the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2000 series, or are there more episodes? This anime confuses me.

Yeah, that is indeed the 2000 series. This series is actually a prequel of the 1993 series which continues from here. The reason why this is the case is that the OVA series originally just adapted the second half and this series was made to fix that.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 24, 2013 3:02 PM

Jul 2012
insan3soldiern said:

Yeah, that is indeed the 2000 series. This series is actually a prequel of the 1993 series which continues from here. The reason why this is the case is that the OVA series originally just adapted the second half and this series was made to fix that.

Thank you very much, I would have never guessed it =) Now I will just have to watch the Jojo from 1993.
Jun 1, 2013 3:46 PM

Dec 2008
Those tongues! Ick!!
Glad Avdul is still alive.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jun 15, 2013 6:10 PM

May 2012
Well it wasn't bad but coming from the 2012 version this sure was totally different and less good than the prequel, still interesting to see the continuation of the story!
Feb 23, 2014 5:08 PM

Dec 2013
Hannah_Ana said:
Those tongues! Ick!!
Glad Avdul is still alive.

Sent with Mal Updater

That was a good fakeout! Over all, a pretty average anime. On to the original ova!
Love and Peace!!!
Aug 11, 2014 5:06 AM

Nov 2013
Was that toilet scene really unessesary?
You all need to watch Nami.

Dec 12, 2014 5:54 PM

Apr 2009
To be completely honest, I'm very surprised at how much I liked it. It skipped a lot, the characters weren't fully realized, and music and sound was pretty dull (especially in comparison to the 2014 version) but I can't say I wasn't entertained.

The justice fight was even more spectacular in this version, and overall had a lot of cool original moments. Of course if you can only watch one for some reason, go with the 2014 version or the manga, but the OVA is easily watchable and enjoyable for even a moderate JoJo fan.

Okay, so such thing exists but you get my point.

Aug 26, 2016 6:03 AM

Jan 2011
Gotta say, I do like how they made the Justice fight more grand.
Nov 23, 2017 7:25 AM
Nov 2009
Meh, not a good series. They needlessly dragged out everything and the "bad guys" are really dumb. Also, why wasn't his tongue simply ripped out? It's really weird that it can support his weight.
May 1, 2019 2:03 AM

Sep 2013
I FINALLY understand the 1993 series!

And I FINALLY understand how Enya can be J Geil's mom!

And I FINALLY understand how Advul is still alive in the older series.

Now I can FINALLY watch the newer stuff.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 30, 2020 9:46 PM

Aug 2012
I kinda love their take on the Justice fight. The Justice fight was one of the weaker ones in terms of strategy, Jotaro just kind of beats it with an out of nowhere ability, there's really not much thought placed into how this fight finishes out, so why not just go so over-the-top and grandiose with this one? End it with a spectacle, the Stardust Crusaders standing on the rooftop looking at essentially a mist kaiju, was quite a sight, I even thought "what am I watching right now". Avdol returning with the most visually impressive Crossfire Hurricane, the blazing fire around the setting, it was kinda magical. And everyone got something to do, even though Kakyoin and Joseph contributed very little (still, nice to see Hermit Purple did something in these seven episodes besides take a picture of DIO [though I guess Polnareff just contributed someone to be saved but whatever]). And I liked them using that cigarette bluff with Jotaro from the Dark Blue Moon fight.

In some regards, I prefer this to the original OVA. I do think the original OVA was better, it was better animated (which is weird to say, since it came out years prior), had a better OST (not by much, but the music at least stuck out to me at two times), had a bit more of the JoJo charm and humour, and most importantly, just covered better fights than this one did. Of course, they ruined my favourite fight, whereas this part never really did that. I kinda prefer their version of the Justice fight, and combining the Polnareff & Forever stories together made for a really interesting episode. I'm giving this one a 5/10, one point lower since the first episode was dull and the aforementioned advantages the original had, but I did appreciate seeing these re-contextualization in this part to make the seven episode limit work.

It is important that that's the context I'm rating this under. It's definitely not a substitute for the manga or the TV series. Like, during the Hanged Man fight, the OVA played it pretty straight and while I certainly wouldn't say the OVA's version of it is bad, it was undeniable that it was just an inferior version of it. I enjoyed it fine, but my mind definitely wandered to how the TV anime did it. I enjoyed this series the most when they made changes, so episode 3 & 7 mostly (and 2 to a lesser extent sticks out as well). This is my fourth time going through Stardust Crusaders, so experiencing a truncated and different version was enjoyable.
May 22, 2020 2:10 AM
Jul 2018
Terrestrious said:
I kinda love their take on the Justice fight. The Justice fight was one of the weaker ones in terms of strategy, Jotaro just kind of beats it with an out of nowhere ability, there's really not much thought placed into how this fight finishes out, so why not just go so over-the-top and grandiose with this one? End it with a spectacle, the Stardust Crusaders standing on the rooftop looking at essentially a mist kaiju, was quite a sight, I even thought "what am I watching right now". Avdol returning with the most visually impressive Crossfire Hurricane, the blazing fire around the setting, it was kinda magical. And everyone got something to do, even though Kakyoin and Joseph contributed very little (still, nice to see Hermit Purple did something in these seven episodes besides take a picture of DIO [though I guess Polnareff just contributed someone to be saved but whatever]). And I liked them using that cigarette bluff with Jotaro from the Dark Blue Moon fight.

I had some very similar opinions -- it was a quite a visually stunning spectacle. Gorgeously animated, and from a "looks" standpoint, it certainly looked like a climax/finale. I'm also glad someone else noticed Jotaro displaying a random, new ability out of nowhere and effortlessly beating the antagonist. Which is why I'd have to respectfully disagree with any other praise bestowed upon this scene. Yes, everyone had something to do. But there wasn't much reason or rhyme. While the antagonist took many different, random, colorful forms for seemingly no reason -- there wasn't any strategy or wits, the characters kinda just did their own things until Jotaro came along and... I don't know... inhaled the mist and boom everything ended. It was certainly fun to watch, but we can't be giving the writers this kind of credit when they haven't earned it.

(I loved the cigarette sequence, too, though.)

P.S. This would've been good Review material. Ya definitely should've left this as a Review instead of a forum post!
removed-userMay 22, 2020 2:33 AM
May 22, 2020 2:13 AM
Jul 2018
Terrestrious said:
In some regards, I prefer this to the original OVA. I do think the original OVA was better, it was better animated (which is weird to say, since it came out years prior), had a better OST (not by much, but the music at least stuck out to me at two times), had a bit more of the JoJo charm and humour, and most importantly, just covered better fights than this one did. Of course, they ruined my favourite fight, whereas this part never really did that. I kinda prefer their version of the Justice fight, and combining the Polnareff & Forever stories together made for a really interesting episode. I'm giving this one a 5/10, one point lower since the first episode was dull and the aforementioned advantages the original had, but I did appreciate seeing these re-contextualization in this part to make the seven episode limit work.

I've only seen a couple YouTube clips of (the modern) JoJo beforehand. From what I understand, this 90-2000's anime drastically differs in animation, story elements, and most of all, tone. Which is why -- even though I haven't even watched a full-length modern-day JoJo arc -- I already know that the two parts of the franchise -- past and present -- should be separated and treated differently. They're both (probably) spectacular in their own rights.

Even with my brief knowledge of the comedic and outrageous nature of modern day JoJo, I've nevertheless appreciated everything this version has to offer. From its hardcore, badass exterior to the fact that it's more down-to-earth and dare I say it somewhat realistic. Heck, I think one of the biggest differences is the character of Joseph.
May 22, 2020 2:13 AM
Jul 2018
This is a rather cool episode. I like the whole zombie scene and the tension that came with it. The scene of Jean-Pierre in the restroom waiting for someone to find him was especially suspenseful.

Additionally, I can appreciate that brief gag about a vein surfacing on the nose when inhaling cigarette smoke. “You’re joking right?!” … “Yeah, I’m joking.” I was like “Damn Jotaro really must be something if he can detect something like that,” but the anime trolled me along with the other characters.

WTF though. WHAT THE ACTUAL F….. this is just one thing I cannot allow an anime to do. They killed off a main character only to miraculously bring him back to life. He was fatally stabbed and shot in the forehead, but they ‘conveniently’ twisted everything around and he shows up at the climactic battle, out of nowhere, unharmed, with little warning aside from the phone-calls Joe was making. Don’t get me wrong, I’m certainly relieved he’s okay too. He’s a fine character. But they really jerked from one state to the next, and it definitely goes against regular standards from a productional standpoint.

I really don’t think this type of plot was for the best… or … maybe it was? I mean… it’s not often I see an anime do this with a main character — kill it off only to bring it right back to life in the next couple episodes. It sounds like something an anime WOULD do, but I don’t think I’ve actually witnessed too often. Therefore — I guess I’ll give them a pass. For now. HOWEVER, this better be the ONLY time in the JoJo franchise a character is murdered and than miraculously resurrected unharmed. At least, when not for comedic purposes. If there’s another case aside from Avdol, then I’m not gonna take it lightly.

Whelp. I guess I finished my version first “section” of the JoJo anime franchise. Now I have to move on to the SECOND part of the early OVA’s (from the 90’s… which were confusingly released before the prequel)… THEN I’ll go ahead and watch the Phantom Blood movie from 2007. And FINALLY, I’ll have all the background exposition I need to embark on my modern day JoJo quest. Then I’ll be a part of the mainstream crowd and will start getting all of these supposed “Is this a JoJo reference?” comments I’ve been seeing online.
May 22, 2020 2:32 AM
Jul 2018
Oh, one other thing...

Before the 2012 series, the 2007 movie, and EVEN the 90's OVA's, this 7-episode 2000's prequel OVA is technically the VERY, VERY first canon JoJo animation. (Side note: the fact that people actually bought VHS's of this stuff and couldn't watch them on free streaming sites baffles me.)

^ But HAVING said that, I find it VERY, VERY peculiar that 1. Jean-Pierre, 2. Avdol, and 3. Kakyoin were MORE SIGNIFICANT CHARACTERS than both JOESEPH and JOTARO (the namesakes of the franchise).

I haven't watched the other 6-episodes of the OVA set yet, so I don't know who will be more prominent. But what I'm getting at is ... these first seven episodes are the start of it all and yet the titular, cover characters didn't seem as primary as you would've thought! Joseph and Jotaro were more significant in the first two episodes (dominating the first one completely), but they didn't actually do much after that!

I was waiting for Jotaro to do something, but he really just stood around and quietly observed Adventures 3-7 lmfao. He'd occasionally pull a Yare Yare Daze but that's about it hah. This Episode 7 finale was the most action we've seen from him since his fight with Kakyoin! Same goes with Joeseph! He seems like a calm and collected figure that would bring me relief having around -- and yet for most of these episodes, he just kind of acted baffled by certain things, told characters to calm down, or wondered what the next course of action was.

Anyways, that's my final observation. I'll stop spamming the forum now hehe, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
Oct 29, 2020 4:05 PM

Jun 2016
My background with Jojo is that Stardust Crusaders is one of my favorite manga. I've read it, and I've watched the David productions anime. Yet, going into this and seeing how different it was made me realize this is my favorite kind of adaptation. If I'm going to watch an anime after I've read the manga, I'd like it to have a different spin, I'd like it to be a different interpretation. Instead of seeing what I've already read panel for panel, this kind of adaptation encourages revisiting a work one loves and enjoying it in a new way. For that, I look forward to watching 1993.

For specific thoughts, the abridgement of a series about the journey and the bond of brothers feels counterintuitive in nature, as if it's missing the point. However, the sheer existence of an abridged version doesn't harm the original in any way, and it's something many people desire the original was. It makes this a fascinating look at how such a long story could be broken down to only the most important plot beats. Skipping Tower of Gray and Dark Blue Moon while combining Silver Chariot and Strength for instance. Otherwise, more simple skipping of less crucial arcs can constantly be seen, or leaving out characters like Anne who don't serve a greater purpose.

And while racing to the most crucial arcs may be missing out on necessary interactions to endear us with the characters, even removing many of the more comical interactions of the arcs depicted, there's a sense of atmosphere which is unique. To me, key to JoJo is getting to the point. But we don't do that here. We get added shots of the locale, we get contextualizing scenes like why Avdol arrived after Polnareff and then Kakyoin with the car, before the others. We see each character given separate rooms in Enya's hotel as they soak in the creepiness to be used later, we get lingering shots of Strength beyond what I remember in the original. My point is, the tone of the series feels unique because we spend more with less.

As one may expect with this perspective, I think the serious is done well but miss the more fun or comedic aspects. The Hanged Man was nearly perfect, I had little complaint. However, stuck in this perspective, I was somewhat bitter to see how Justice was changed. Removing the fun and endearing heart for the self serious and creepy atmosphere the OVA was going for.

However, recognizing the intention behind this change allowed me to forgive that. Jotaro, and Joseph feel incredibly underutilized, and as others have mentioned, they got their chance to shine using elements from past arcs which were cut, or future arcs. Avdol himself reviving in a burst of fire at such a crucial moment continues to make him one of the most memorable characters which is a breath of fresh air for a character most wish they got more from. I view this changed arc as both serving the purpose of a mid-season finale but also the much-needed building of presence for the characters. Not only that, but it did so through changing the comedically subversive Justice into a genuinely frightening encounter which made sense with the rules of her power. So that was charming, especially seeing her use her illusions to greater effect.
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsOct 29, 2020 4:23 PM
May 2, 2023 11:34 AM

Nov 2022
Finally, the Justice fight got the care and depth it needed.
Nov 19, 2023 3:18 AM

Dec 2012
Dem tongues.
Polnareff runs.
Dat eye.
Her Sutando.
Lick the toilet?
Jotaro appears.
DAMN! They popped out.
Ora Ora Ora Ora Ora Ora!
Kakyoin saves Enya.
Dat Sutando.
Dat fire!

An amazing ending. That fight was awesome. Loved the sakuga. Fukami was amazing as Enya. The stuff this OVA had, this is what I miss. Now.. Onward to Egypt!
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2000) Episode 6 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Jun 15, 2013

7 by Rob »»
Nov 19, 2023 2:19 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2000) Episode 5 Discussion

Yangbojian - Apr 9, 2013

11 by Rob »»
Nov 19, 2023 1:28 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2000) Episode 4 Discussion

glenn177 - Dec 22, 2012

9 by Rob »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:59 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2000) Episode 3 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Jun 15, 2013

9 by Rob »»
Nov 18, 2023 4:41 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2000) Episode 2 Discussion

Hannah_Ana - Jun 1, 2013

7 by Rob »»
Nov 18, 2023 3:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.