Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2015 5:48 AM

Apr 2015
TL;DR: Just a post I want to see and discuss how people think about fate/stay night (2006) vs UBW. No point in giving an opinion if you haven't watched both shows because, well you point isn't valid lol.

Well I don't mean this to be some shitpost for people to blindly hate on one show or the other. I am kind of interested to see what people who've watched both shows think. I am sure people would also have a different opinion if they have played the visual novel, but this would mainly be just talking about the anime. I don't think that either show is all that great, however I probably think about them at around the same level tbh. I'm not calling either show good, by saying that fate/stay night (2006) is as good as UBW that isn't a compliment. It's sort of odd how people have such big hate on the deen's adaptation. I'm guessing that it did a bad job at following the visual novel or something along those lines, but it's story has just as many issues as UBW. To my knowledge both shows have really similar starts. So the fact that people watch around 4 episodes of the older version and call it shit while praising UBW kind of surprises me. I realise that there are people who like shows just because it is pretty to look at. I am definitely not someone who has that mindset.

Well that is my opinion, both are pretty bad. I think UBW is a perfect example on how a high budget show, instantly gets good reviews even if it is not very good. Found it cool that we got to see 2 different routes on what girl the mc chooses, I found that quite surprising when I experienced that. Shirou is also the worse character I've ever seen, so that was definitely helping with my enjoyment. (I didn't go into too much detail on why I don't like the shows or what the other show does better than the other, because it assume it would make me look like I'm hating, when I am only giving my thoughts on both the shows. Just curious on what people think about the shows.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Sep 20, 2015 5:58 AM

Jan 2011
Both are great in their own right but FSN 2006 doesn't follow VN very well and contains many flaws with character and plot. They were not that bad as people say they are, the important things are still there.

I watched FSN 2006 back in 2006, but the hate for it got blown out of proportion due to people blindly deciding not to watch it cuz some random guy says F/Z better, FSN:UBW better, etc., almost nobody watches it nowadays, I mean that's the story of anime community.

Just because anime are under similar title doesn't make them comparable to the point that you should watch one and avoid the other. Same deal with anime like FMA, FMAB. FSN 2006 is vastly different from F/Z, although somewhat similar to UBW for obvious reasons.

tl;dr, UBW being rated higher is somewhat justified, but maybe not by so much, but neither of them should be compared to F/Z (Fate Zero if you were wondering).
Sep 20, 2015 7:06 AM

May 2013
I liked the original Fate/Stay Night quite a bit. The common complaint I hear about it is that it "isn't faithful to the original source", but I didn't read the VN, so I could care less about that.
Sep 20, 2015 7:25 AM

Nov 2014
Oh hey dude remember me !

But As I mentioned on our conversation before The biggest reason is biased from the VN players. It butchered it and did not follow the rules correctly so it left a bad taste on a lot of VN players mouth. Yeah its really really over hated in my opinion I mean it was very popular back in the day but now with the released of Fate/zero and UBW its suddenly got the Tsukihime anime treatment.

But lets be honest here production values plays a big part its anime after all after the story,premise and characters comes the art/animation/ost. Since anime is a Visual Medium its not surprising a good looking anime like UBW gets its rating over hype.

As for me I enjoy both despite me rating DEEN F/SN 5/10
royaldocksSep 20, 2015 7:30 AM
Sep 20, 2015 7:28 AM

Jun 2015
Apparently both DEEN F/SN and UfoUBW are bad adaptations of the VN.
Sep 20, 2015 7:30 AM

Apr 2015
royaldocks said:
Oh hey dude remember me !

But As I mentioned on our conversation before The biggest reason is biased from the VN players. It butchered it and did not follow the rules correctly so it left a bad taste on a lot of VN players mouth. Yeah its really really over hated in my opinion I mean it was very popular back in the day but now with the released of Fate/zero and UBW its suddenly got the Tsukihime anime treatment.

But lets be honest here production values plays a big part its anime after all the story,premise and characters comes the art/animation/ost. Since anime is a Visual Medium its not surprise a good looking anime like UBW gets its rating overhype.

As for me I enjoy both despite me rating DEEN F/SN 5/10
Ah yes I remember you of course dude. I was having another conversation about this in real life and I just decided to make a post about it because I was already talking a lot about it to other [people including u.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Sep 20, 2015 8:32 AM

Oct 2014
AltoRoark99 said:

BUT, as you well know, appearances can be deceiving... something about "vocal" and something about "minority".
Sep 20, 2015 8:46 AM
Mar 2014
Grey-Zone said:
AltoRoark99 said:

BUT, as you well know, appearances can be deceiving... something about "vocal" and something about "minority".

this one isn't though. Stop defending ufoUBW. It wasn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be, sure, but it still sure as hell wasn't nearly as good a show as it could've been. It's an okay adaptation, nothing more.

It's easy to tell that for people who were invested in the story, even if I don't like the behavior of some (Fai), it's really fucking irritating when what could've destroyed all the retarded prejudice people had towards F/SN only strenghtens it for really stupid reasons that could've easily been avoided.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Sep 20, 2015 8:50 AM

Oct 2014
omfgplzstop said:
Grey-Zone said:

this one isn't though. Stop defending ufoUBW. It wasn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be, sure, but it still sure as hell wasn't nearly as good a show as it could've been. It's an okay adaptation, nothing more.

It's easy to tell that for people who were invested in the story, even if I don't like the behavior of some (Fai), it's really fucking irritating when what could've destroyed all the retarded prejudice people had towards F/SN only strenghtens it for really stupid reasons that could've easily been avoided.

I don't really want to start this debate here, but I think that there was no way to satisfy everyone even with the perfect team, in the first place, though it's true that quite a bit of potential was left unused, which is a pity.
Sep 20, 2015 9:01 AM

Nov 2012
They're both good anime, just not great anime, due to some prolific stupid decisions made throughout their narratives.

I consider UBW and FSN 2006 largely equal. While UBW had better animation (until Season 2), FSN 2006 had better storytelling and atmosphere, and a much more satisfying climax and romance arc. Shirou was actually given much better characterization in FSN 2006, which is to say mainly because UBW doesn't hardly try at all to characterize him, but FSN 2006 would frequently go into his inner monologues and personal thoughts, so you felt like you knew him better as a character, even if he was still an annoying character in certain respects.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Sep 20, 2015 9:11 AM

Jun 2015
@Grey-Zone

I have been reading the VN, and the anime really leaves a lot to be desired in terms of direction and characterization.
Sep 20, 2015 9:14 AM

Aug 2014
Should I be serious or not...
DEEN Fate is shit from a faithfulness standpoint, but by doing what it did and that is sorta slapping routes together, it was more enjoyable than the not so eventful route in the VN (talking about the Caster encounter here).
It still missed exposition (about a system I don't care much about anyway), Saber isn't any more convincing than in the VN with her realization at the end and bla bla bla.
But it was never horrid no matter how much I looked at it and it had nice music, too.

One day, Miura's Fate too will come my way and I probably won't be bothered about it as I wasn't with this one that is totally dissed at every corner.
Sep 20, 2015 11:01 AM

Aug 2014
It looks like shit and it adapts the worst route in a really shitty way.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Sep 20, 2015 11:07 AM

Nov 2014
black1blade said:

How is UBW worse than the Fate route with the worst Shirou ? Just different taste I guess
Sep 20, 2015 11:16 AM

Aug 2014
royaldocks said:
black1blade said:

How is UBW worse than the Fate route with the worst Shirou ? Just different taste I guess

I meant the DEEN fate adaptation.

I don't think anyone claims that shirou is a good character based on the anime.

Well the things with adaptations is that they are a compromise. Most of the time anime adaptations often have to take out certain aspects that made the original good. Fate/stay night really works because of the first person narrative. Obviously putting that into an anime, you have to take away those things. The only way anime can make up for the original source's fault is the huge asset that is visual story telling. Reading the kara no kyoukai LNs and watching the movies is a totally different experience. For every smallest thing that is taken out, it is made up for tenfold with great animation, music, background art and cinematography that is impossible to convey through text. The UBW anime really should have tried to play with the character's positioning and stuff during monolouge scenes, especially those within shirou's house which where really boring.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts.
MasterTengkorakSep 20, 2015 4:22 PM

Sep 20, 2015 12:52 PM

May 2013
black1blade said:

I do. I'm sure others do too.
Sep 20, 2015 12:56 PM

Dec 2012
Fate/Stay Night: Very Good and entertaining but lacks sufficient explanations for things. 8/10

Fate/Stay Night UBW: All of the above with better animation, less depression, and a more cohesive story. 9/10
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 20, 2015 12:57 PM

Aug 2014
Dark_Chaos said:
black1blade said:

I think I'd be lying to myself if I say I dislike the anime one and like the VN one since everything about Shirou in the anime is just intensified with the monologues in the VN while adding a bit more concerning the progress of his character. The anime one and the VN one aren't too far from each other.
Poltergeist18Sep 20, 2015 1:03 PM
Sep 20, 2015 1:09 PM

Nov 2013
Read the route at least before you watch it.

And I bet you won't make it past episode 4 or 5 anyway.
Sep 20, 2015 1:24 PM

Aug 2014
Poltergeist18 said:
Dark_Chaos said:

I think I'd be lying to myself if I say I dislike the anime one and like the VN one since everything about Shirou in the anime is just intensified with the monologues in the VN while adding a bit more concerning the progress of his character. The anime one and the VN one aren't too far from each other.

Well they are the same character is just that there are more details in the VN.

Sep 20, 2015 1:30 PM

Aug 2014
black1blade said:
Poltergeist18 said:

Well they are the same character is just that there are more details in the VN.

Yup. That's all there is to it, more detail. He doesn't come off as bad because of the lack of it in my eyes tho.
Sep 20, 2015 1:32 PM

Jan 2011
i didnt like UBW but the 2006 version was far worse, nt just the animation but the characters as well, Shirou an Rin were unbearably annoying... though gotta admit that the dragon scene was awesome in a lame kinda way
Sep 20, 2015 4:21 PM

Nov 2011
Moved & Cleaned
Sep 21, 2015 2:08 AM

Jul 2007
I agree that both UfoUBW and DEENFSN are pretty much equally bad adaptations. They make the same mistakes, its just that UBW is better material, so it SEEMS better. But both adaptations have the same flaws. One simply has bigger budget(which is wasted entirely).

I do agree that there's bias towards rating UfoUBW higher but that is mostly a certain vocal and toxic harasser group that is mostly irrelevant to the rest of fandom as more and more people accept the simple truth - ufoubw is no better than deenfsn.

Both are the cases of a mediocre director taking an original work and trying to change it into something it can't become.
Oct 8, 2015 12:48 AM
Jun 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
I liked the original Fate/Stay Night quite a bit. The common complaint I hear about it is that it "isn't faithful to the original source", but I didn't read the VN, so I could care less about that.

Pretty much my thought. A friend of mine lent me the series and I enjoyed it. Also now it seems dislike UFO and DEEN.
Oct 8, 2015 12:50 AM
Jun 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
black1blade said:

I had no beef with the guy ether.
Oct 11, 2015 2:50 PM

Aug 2013
I could careless if something is 100% accurate to the original source. If I enjoyed the show it doesn't matter to me. I personally liked FSN 2006 more than the UBW adaptation
Oct 11, 2015 2:50 PM
Aug 2012
Can Shiki kill servants?

More topics from this board

» VN fan are annoying as Hell

chevalierkraken - Yesterday

19 by certifiedbinger »»
1 hour ago

» Seriously bro

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 9

10 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 10, 4:55 AM

Poll: » This or Unlimited Blade Works

Fukoku - Mar 28

13 by deg »»
Mar 31, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ruzgfpegk - Jul 3, 2008

135 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 7, 8:25 AM

» Zero or Unlimited Blade Works

infinite_Shadows - Feb 15

16 by Law_of_Cycles »»
Feb 24, 11:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.