Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Oct 13, 2015 6:10 PM

Dec 2010
Very good anime 8.5/10..ending was fun to watch.😏i actually wanted to give 9.5/10..but the fan service with the dark elf girl got me..
JsmithmimOct 13, 2015 6:21 PM
Mim
Oct 14, 2015 3:10 PM

May 2012
Very lovely open ending of this first season! It's really good that the second season has been announced already if else it would actually have been rather bad.

With that said I really loved the overall development of this anime, the characters and the pacing were just great! So all in all marathoning this anime was superb and I'm definitely looking forward to the second season!
Oct 16, 2015 7:40 PM

Dec 2013
I'm partly crying and partly excited! Things were skyrocketing up and they decided to split it till january, which is in two months, 60 days, 24x60 hours.... </3 damn it A-1.

8/10 from me! <3 loved it.
Oct 16, 2015 8:13 PM

Dec 2010
but guys seriously

The war is not justified
War anime never works with a light hearted mood

Why isn't anyone pointing out the ethical dilemma?
Oct 17, 2015 6:12 AM

Jul 2011
1J_domination said:
but guys seriously

The war is not justified
War anime never works with a light hearted mood

Why isn't anyone pointing out the ethical dilemma?

should we go back to the fact that this is more of a localization rather than a porting from ln/manga to anime?

there still is a light tone in the manga, but it's way different than the anime, i'd say more cruel and centered around militaries, here they've gone more for the fantasy(it's all just in the details)
Oct 17, 2015 4:38 PM

Feb 2013
Nothing but setup for the season cliffhanger.

Overall: 6/10 (above average)
Oct 18, 2015 10:20 AM

Feb 2012
Bad ending. Pretty sure they cut the second season in half because they ran out of time. Seen this shit happening lately...
Oct 18, 2015 2:44 PM

Aug 2011
Not really sure why this show is highly regarded. The focus on military aspects and politics mostly left me disinterested in the plot. Almost all of the 'green people' were just a faceless blur to me so I wanted more scenes exploring the fantasy element through the gate instead. I feel no incentive to watch the season season but it could turn out to be good.

4/10, I liked the OP though.
Oct 19, 2015 7:14 AM

Jul 2011
Dako said:
Not really sure why this show is highly regarded. The focus on military aspects and politics mostly left me disinterested in the plot. Almost all of the 'green people' were just a faceless blur to me so I wanted more scenes exploring the fantasy element through the gate instead. I feel no incentive to watch the season season but it could turn out to be good.

4/10, I liked the OP though.

yeah i can see them being barely noticeable in the anime, but reading the manga, i remeber most of them and almost all of theiir names.
Oct 21, 2015 2:49 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode to end the first cour.
The OST was great and I will miss the OP...
My body is ready for S2.
The gate will be open again in January. Can't wait for that.
Oct 21, 2015 5:29 PM

Jun 2013
Damn the time to wait for the second season! 9/10... Pls more screentime for all the possible waifus
Oct 28, 2015 3:53 AM

Dec 2009
Haha, i watched this airing and never checked here... i'd somehow missed the last-minute split-cour announcement...

Although it's mildly unprofessional, if a problem suddenly arose, or they needed more time in order to maintain quality, then i think please do take all the time needed to keep the standard up. I'm sure we all hope for a grand climactic second half.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Oct 29, 2015 6:31 AM
Jun 2014
Sup with introducing so many girls that will eventually fall for him when we know that he won't go for anyone else but his ugly ex gf if he were to ever choose a girl.
Nov 1, 2015 12:12 PM
Oct 2012
GenesisAria said:
Although it's mildly unprofessional, if a problem suddenly arose, or they needed more time in order to maintain quality, then i think please do take all the time needed to keep the standard up. I'm sure we all hope for a grand climactic second half.

I am not sure where people get the idea that the split cour was "unplanned". The BD release schedule made it clear that the second cour was not going to follow the first, and time slots for shows are determined at least a cour or two in advance. The "weak" ending for the show was because the original story really didn't have a natural breaking point for a 12 episode season (not surprising since it wasn't written with broadcast in mind), so rather than force a cliff hanger, the staff decided to do a soft ending.

I find it funny that people bitch when there is a cliff hanger, and the same people bitch when there isn't. I guess people just want to bitch.
Nov 2, 2015 12:08 PM

Oct 2013
Quiet enjoyable, especially Rory and Pina they make me stick to the end of the episode. The whole idea for this anime is genius but still i don't find my self liking the green army thingy, at least they could wear the local clothes that gives you fantasy touch to it.

The Dark elf has been added to the circle.

Overall score 8/10, a 2nd season would be great
Nov 5, 2015 11:38 PM
Mar 2015
Good anime 8/10 waiting for second season !!
Nov 6, 2015 5:44 AM

Apr 2010
It was ok, bit of a missed potential since the concept and set up was excellent. I guess since this is fantasy/military I was expecting something more serious and epic. Or, you know, some worldbuilding instead of a generic JRPG world, although I do realize that the world was "generic" on purpose and not for lack of imagination.

5/10
Nov 17, 2015 9:54 PM
Nov 2012
After re-watching Episode 1, I'm starting to suspect that the whole anime will, in the end, turn out to be a dream sequence. Itami is introduced as an otaku, he's playing an RPG game, he's had visions of the three main girls, and then he walks into a post and is knocked unconscious. All the fantasy action begins after that.

The manga doesn't take that path. But based on the anime only, it does look like a setup for a wish-fulfilment dream sequence. No idea what path the novel and LN take. Episode 1 of the anime does give the feeling of having been put together by a committee trying to get the series going. I wouldn't be surprised if a "director's cut" of EP 1 surfaces at some point.

A few authors have taken the dream route and then changed course. "A Boy and his Tank", by Leo Frankowski, was originally written as an "it was all a dream" story, but the author changed that for book publication. "Ghost", by John Ringo, was originally planned as a fantasy the protagonist is having while dying from oxygen starvation in the plane's wheel well. Ringo decided that would anger his readers too much. Then the thing sold well and he cranked out several sequels.
Nov 19, 2015 2:45 PM

Mar 2012
Finally gotten around to finishing this anime and have to say that it was a decent anime and i don't know why i didn't start watching it when it came out. Now I can't wait till the second season comes out!
Nov 24, 2015 11:48 AM

Jun 2007
The pandering was too... obvious (lead doesn't act like an otaku, or even an anime/manga fan and was only said to be due to the target audience) but the modern military vs. medieval civilisation stuff was both interesting and fairly unique. It impressed me. The helicopter sequence in particular.

...Then came the return to Japan and that CRINGE defense minister exposition: "Do you remember when I met you, unemployed, when you were 13yo and we traded manga recs?", which was followed by American being sinister/blackmailing Japan and the most juvenile of 'spy games' I've ever seen. The author over-reached and was found wanting. He was far more comfy dealing with 1D waifu hareming. But only Rory had a personality or any depth via her sadistic nympho immortal thing. The rest were cardboard cutouts unless you count AWKWARD 'I am a knight woman in name only, and LOVE yaoi' fluff.

Series was ok, and I'll watch S2, but the last half was almost as bad as the first half was good. Ep1 aside since series only got going in the other world.

6/10 (+1 for Rory)
Nov 24, 2015 3:47 PM

Sep 2014
Itami's true battle will begin... Ep 12.

Plot: While Itami is out preparing peace talks with the princess, Yao tries to get the JSDF to help her village from the flame dragon they injured earlier. But due to the political problems that would arise if they were to do so, Yao is lost on what to do next. But it has been agreed: If Itami was there, he would help...

Character: Yao is kinda funny in the way she screws herself over but like the others you can sense her plight and willingness to save her people.

Animation/sound: Nothing to stand out here.

3/5. It, like Yona of the Dawn, is a set up for the next season but unlike Yona, this only has 12 eps instead of 24. Still it does give me hope for the next season.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Dec 2, 2015 12:51 PM

Jan 2011
6/10.
The politics and detail is some of the military stuff were very nice to see, but at the same time a lot of generic crap is in this one as well. Hope the second season will contain more serious stuff.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Dec 6, 2015 6:40 AM

Oct 2013
Great way to set up for the second cour IMO. The scene with the four military dudes talking about how they could take out the dragon was cool as hell.

It was a solid series overall, but I have to echo the sentiments that the first half was better. The modern military vs ancient civilization contrast that made the first half interesting was put on the back burner for more obvious otaku pandering... not that I disliked the otaku pandering. And on that note, I also wish Itami's otaku side was emphasized more, instead of only being casually brought up.

Also, as said previously, all of the military characters are a "faceless blur" (aside from Itami, obviously).

The presentation was well done, however, so I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Looking forward to the second cour.

Tuka is underrated/overlooked due to Rory's presence. I hope she settles her issues with her deceased father and also hope she has more presence in the next cour.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 9, 2015 7:07 AM

Aug 2013
Thanks for adaptation, for sure it series was amazing from light novel.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2015 10:57 PM
Nov 2012
Official PV for second coeur is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtG2ZMvJNZo

Airs on Tokyo MX 1-8 25:05 (or 2016-01-09 0105 +0900)
Dec 23, 2015 4:04 AM
Apr 2013
Placing the OP at the end really saved a lot of time. SMART THINKING, A-1.

One of the best Anime of the season. Beautifully written plot, character development, and most importantly, the grills. ;^)

Lots of exciting and action packed battles, heart wrenching drama, slight hints of romance and a harem for Itami. What a lucky guy.

Glad to see an MC accomplish things and actually receive a reward for it.
Rory, Leilei, and Tuka are an amazing cast of main characters, all with different personalities and traits. Hope they get more screen time in the second season.

Story developed really smoothly, and although the first season took place over a span of 5 months, didn't feel rushed at all.

11/10 Anime, can't wait for season 2.
Dec 24, 2015 7:27 PM

May 2015
AHAHA i'm finally finish this show before winter, ok let's the second cour begin
Dec 30, 2015 11:28 PM

Mar 2012
Interesting setup, but so much time wasted on minor things rather than exploring the main issue which i guess will be the next cour..what I disliked the most was how much this show just cried agenda pushing, I didn't mind it at first, but after 6 episodes it was like come on. Especially when Japan's own Diet, which is portrayed to be spearheaded by a very vocally focused female likely backed by a lobbyist group, wanted to burn it's own military at the stake...all to portray an image that the SDF is 100% the good guys versus the entire world Japan is located in, as well as the world beyond the gate..hell, even against it's own country.

Other than Itami, the cast was comprised largely of forgettable generic and bland characters, of which little to no development of any kind happened among them.

Still, it was entertaining...but can't help to feel the setup was squandered quite a bit by what followed after.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Dec 31, 2015 7:17 AM

Aug 2014
Pretty good anime, quite liked it from the get go and it ended pretty decently for a split cour. Interesting premise, interesting characters...atleast I got something to look forward to in the winter season now!

8/10.
Jan 6, 2016 5:48 PM
Jan 2016
season 2 will be out tomorrow! Great anime 10/10
Jan 10, 2016 2:19 PM

Oct 2008
Just finished S1...wow! really excited for S2!!!
All hopes and dreams of the Dark Elf was crushed when she requested assistance from the Green People. But Itami might really do it! Just wait Yao Ha Ducy you already met with those three MC girls!
LOL at Pina Co lada & the other girls...so obsessed with "rotten" doujinshis hahah!
5/5.
8/10.

Jan 23, 2016 11:52 AM

Dec 2015
Great show, one of my favorites already, looking forward to more!
Jan 29, 2016 6:43 AM

Oct 2012
Pretty good
Thank you for some good laughs xD

Gotta watch 2nd season now
"Signature removed"
Jan 29, 2016 9:42 PM

Jun 2012
Not at all impressive, but at least its setting and plot is more developed than I expected. Actually kind of looking forward to S2, since I enjoyed the characters.

Started watching only b/c of Rory, but realized Tuka best character. A little disappointed she didn't have as much screen time or importance, but maybe next season.

6/10 for this one.

Feb 2, 2016 2:27 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Lol at that BL... It's art! Time for season 2!

4/5
Feb 25, 2016 4:41 PM

Aug 2008
I feel like this anime had the potential to be something great but the end result was just alright. After superb opening episode the anime staggered along with ecchi and comedy instead of focusing on the plot that started the show in the first place. I suppose going off on little side stories was seen as more important though for whatever reason. Was going to give it a 7 but may drop to a 6, had some fun parts but overall is nothing that is memorable. For instance a character like Rory Mercury, so much could be done with her and yet she is forced off to the side and no real development is given to her character.

Of course no development is given to anyone so this isn't too noteworthy I suppose...
Feb 25, 2016 8:26 PM

Sep 2015
Really liked this anime through the fist half then it started to slow down ALOT. The politics and war tactics they capture are great. It is why I believe I find myself liking this show so much. It has a good balance of humor in it although I think it tries to hard at time. I hated the last episode and how they ended things as well. I would give it an 9 only due to the accuracy of the politics and military strategies of the times. That put this anime up there for me. Without these it would easily be a 7. Expecting a lot from the next episode
QcK_Dagger_HeaTFeb 25, 2016 8:46 PM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Mar 9, 2016 10:12 PM

Sep 2011
It's been a while that I've enjoyed and gave an anime a 10. Onto the next season.

Apr 7, 2016 1:28 AM

Sep 2011
Once I realized where this anime was actually going, I enjoyed it a lot more. Really looking forward to the second season!
Apr 9, 2016 9:02 AM

Apr 2011
Felt bad for Yao, I hope Itami helps her. I really want that fire dragon dead. I don't mind the ending of the 1st season since a 2nd season is announced.

7/10
Apr 30, 2016 7:28 PM

Jan 2011
I wonder if there is no one capable in that world of dealing with a fire dragon? If a whole clan of dark elves can't..unless (and Yao kinda shows that) they are not as dangerous as dark elves usually are.

I wonder if Rory could take out that dragon. Or if someone like Leileil could - maybe afte studiying college-level physics/chemistry and creating spells accordingly..

At least it looks like the Japanese don't underestimate the dragon, given how the one described on how he would take it out. "Flying tank" my ass, if they need that much to take out a simple tank.

The political reasons etc. for Itami being the only one who can help Yao a clear, but can he actually do it? He doesn't really have much in terms of heavy weapons, unless the general hands him some, which would mean letting a whole company (or more) cross the borders. So we are back at "is there no native force that can take out a fire dragon".

Though "fire dragon" makes me wonder - are there other dragons, too? Maybe some are less aggressive towards humans (or elves etc.), but don't like fire dragons.
May 18, 2016 10:14 PM

Dec 2012
And thus the princess and her knighthood became the Order of Fujoshi.

Well this has certainly gone down a direction I wouldn't have expected based on how the first episode unfolded. I like how instead of just making it a series of battles, Gate has spent a greater amount of time focusing on the JSDF providing aid and building relationships with the locals. It's also showing how there are attacks from all sides - from the Empire of course, from politicians pushing agendas, and from other nations wanting to capitalize on resources. It doesn't seem to be pushing the end of the war as a dire objective and if anything, I like the easy going pace that comes with Itami and his group's antics. And of course, there's still plenty of kick ass action scenes included to boot. For once, it's refreshing to see that the modern day military isn't just there to show how helpless and incompetent it is in the face of supernatural enemies. Rory is awesome too, literally ecstasy watching her fight.

8/10
Jul 12, 2016 5:35 AM

Apr 2009
Maybe she'll abduct one of the three girls "voluntarily" to bring Itami to the Fire Dragon?
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 15, 2016 4:17 AM
Aug 2016
bro, its been a long time since i watch this anime. i forgot the last episode i watched. but i remember ini thats episode pina try to sell his body to his brother, what episode is that? thx. i even make an id so i can know the episode
Aug 21, 2016 6:32 AM

Jul 2013
So there really is a place outside the empire's borders. Question is how big exactly is the special region? Well anyway I sure am glad I started watching this way after it has finished airing so I don't care if there was a sudden split cour or whatever haha.
Sep 26, 2016 7:20 AM

Jan 2013
"I Doubt you've got the right equipment" ... lol.
They'd gladly just translate the BL "art" books :D

Seems they intended to make a second season judging by the end of this season.

The first episode felt all over the place and random but I really started to like the characters and the story.
It's not just your typical fantasy setting either.

8/10
Oct 17, 2016 3:53 AM

Nov 2009
What I understood after watching Gate is the fact that helicopter carries much more firepower than a dude with a sword (I know, unbelievable) and that propaganda on Russian news isn't the worst example of propaganda you can find around the world.

Nov 8, 2016 6:52 AM

Apr 2016
Absolutely loved the whole season. Everything was great, the character stereotypes, the hilarious situations, Itami being an Otaku and the savior of the people, etc. Now I am looking forward to continue with some dark elf fun in the next season! (o.o)
Dec 21, 2016 9:15 PM

Dec 2012
Glad those dudes got kicked in the nuts.

Lelei about to get OP thanks to the knowledge of Japan. :D

lol at Pina showing up for the BL.

Bozes!!!!!!

lol at the butler dude misunderstanding the knights.

Bunny girl is back. Her eyes are beautiful. :)

Hey Pina. Youji's not looking so small anymore, huh? Take back those words you said. He's worthy of Bozes fine self....and you as well.

Onward to Season 2.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 6, 2017 5:23 AM

Feb 2014
Pretty meh episode, especially for a season finale. Glad I wasn't watching while this was airing. That cliffhanger probably would have put me off the show.

The first episode was one of the worst I've seen of any anime, but thankfully the show did get better after that, with the 2nd episode itself.
So, in the end, the protagonist being an otaku did absolutely fuck all for the plot. He could have been any random soldier from the SDF with the same nonchalant, easy going personality and it wouldn't have changed much. Still, it was quite a fun ride, so 7/10.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

186 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

291 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2015

188 by Strahan »»
Mar 24, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2015

436 by Rohanr »»
Mar 5, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2015

284 by kizeroch »»
Feb 23, 10:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.