Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 5, 2015 4:18 AM
Jul 2015
In the Precure fandom, I've seen a lot of people saying stuff like "Happiness Charge is too sweet and sugary" or "I never really watched it because it looked too girly for my taste". I personally hated it, until I actually watched it. But since we are halfway through season 12, I think this is a good time to bring this up: What do you really think of season 11, Happiness Charge Precure?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 6, 2015 11:44 PM
Aug 2010
Personally, I had a lot of fun with Happiness Charge, despite what an oddball it is in the franchise and how much it screws things up sometimes. Toei clearly wanted to have a lot of fun with their 10th annie, and HaCha is easily the most bombastic, tropey, reference-laden, and over-the-top entry in the franchise, embracing and celebrating the underlying goofy and ridiculous nature of Precure's concept. HaCha is very much the, "junk food", of Precures, and I do like my junk food <3

The only issue that really bugged me in HaCha was its bizarre handling of its leading character role, which almost seemed like two scripts competing to make different characters the lead. On the one hand, Hime was, for both plot and storytelling reasons, the hero of the story. The story opened on her, she has the closest relation to the events occurring in the plot, and her character development is exactly what you're looking for in a Precure lead and supports the didactic elements of the show. On the other hand, Pink is Pink, therefore Pink is the lead. Watching the show, I kept feeling like the script was fighting with itself over who was supposed to be the main character; it was really weird. Then the ending happens, and it's great; then you realise that it's only episode 43 and for some reason there's another ending and it's spectacularly terrible. No idea what happened there.

But yeah, ignoring the last six episodes, I had a lot of fun with Happiness Charge. Sure it's a junk food sort of Precure and is a bit overly tropey and shallow to be the norm, but I think that one of these every ten years is a perfectly acceptable change of pace. When HaCha pulled out the original series hand-grip sound effect, I think I squee'd; when GoPri did the same, I was not amused ( ̄へ ̄井). If you're gonna go nuts, ya gotta go all nuts, and HaCha was all-in.

P.S.
Innocent Purification is so Ar Tonelico that I kind of died the first time it happened. Songs as magic? I'm so on board with this ╭( ・ㅂ・)و
dummyacct7Sep 6, 2015 11:47 PM
Sep 7, 2015 2:53 PM
Jul 2015
dummyacct7 said:

The only issue that really bugged me in HaCha was its bizarre handling of its leading character role, which almost seemed like two scripts competing to make different characters the lead. On the one hand, Hime was, for both plot and storytelling reasons, the hero of the story. The story opened on her, she has the closest relation to the events occurring in the plot, and her character development is exactly what you're looking for in a Precure lead and supports the didactic elements of the show. On the other hand, Pink is Pink, therefore Pink is the lead. Watching the show, I kept feeling like the script was fighting with itself over who was supposed to be the main character; it was really weird. Then the ending happens, and it's great; then you realise that it's only episode 43 and for some reason there's another ending and it's spectacularly terrible. No idea what happened there.

I agree with what you said about Hime being the main hero of the story. Another thing that bugged me was, the characters were all over the place! It was confusing to figure out the Cure's main theme, especially with the multiple plotlines. But still, Hapiness Charge will always be one of my favorite animes XD
Sep 23, 2015 10:46 PM

May 2013
I personally think that Happiness Charge was about as mediocre as you can get. But hey, it wasn't DokiDoki, so that is a step up already. And, surprisingly, the movie turned out really well.

Oct 23, 2018 4:19 AM
Jun 2015
It was entertaining to watch but sadly I think the characters didn't develope very well except maybe for Hime and Iona. And I also disliked the end that Megumi got the special form. Hime would have deserved it since it was kind of her fight since it was about her kingdom.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: Poll: » 5. Who is your Favorite Cure? [Happiness - Princess Edition]

Lobke - May 8, 2023

4 by Eiko_Carol »»
May 9, 2023 7:29 AM

Sticky: Poll: » 4. Who is your Favorite Cure? [Smile - Dokidoki Edition]

Lobke - Apr 25, 2023

5 by Namu12 »»
Apr 25, 2023 12:06 PM

Sticky: Poll: » 3. Who is your Favorite Cure? [Heartcatch - Suite Edition]

Lobke - Apr 17, 2023

4 by Eiko_Carol »»
Apr 17, 2023 11:31 PM

Sticky: Poll: » 2. Who is your Favorite Cure? [Yes! GoGo! - Fresh Edition]

Lobke - Apr 9, 2023

7 by Purple_Gh0st24 »»
Apr 10, 2023 5:32 PM

Sticky: Poll: » 1. Who is your Favorite Cure? [Max Heart - Splash Star Edition]

Lobke - Apr 1, 2023

7 by MoonBunny9297 »»
Apr 9, 2023 8:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.