Forum Settings
Forums

Why do main characters in most harem anime never get laid?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 1, 2015 4:06 PM

Mar 2014
eturnity said:
Am I the only one who thinks that sex should not be in any part of a healthy relationship between teenagers, fictional or not?

I think it depends on what u consider a healthy relationship.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Sep 1, 2015 4:07 PM

Mar 2015
eturnity said:
Am I the only one who thinks that sex should not be in any part of a healthy relationship between teenagers, fictional or not?
for me, yes if they still in high school, because condom is not 100% safe, but if already collage, i found it normal.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 1, 2015 4:30 PM

Jul 2015
because incest is frowned upon

Sep 1, 2015 4:46 PM

Aug 2013
But when the harem MC does sleep with his girls people bitch about it (School Days and White Album 1).
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Sep 1, 2015 4:54 PM

Sep 2012
Your mistake is 1) thinking that harems are about romance and relationships, and 2) thinking that you're supposed to care about, or even notice, the main character on an emotional level.

He's nothing but a plot device, working as an excuse to have female characters on screen at the same time. That's it.

When an author sits down to write a story, they don't start with the main character. It's not his story. They start with every single other character, and then get to him, just to tie them all together.

The result is a character who's actions are dictated by everything else happening around him, who's wishy-washy, inconsistent, emotionally detached and boring, and easy to ignore (because you're not supposed to pay attention to him in the first place).
Sep 1, 2015 6:29 PM
Jan 2014
There's always the 'classic "Harem Time",
or "Lingerie" Or

You get the idea. MC's only get to nail the girl when it's basically an anime that intends little else.

Sometimes though, there is a meaningful story that gets in the way. And then no, he doesn't get lay'd.

Darn oh darn oh darn!
Sep 1, 2015 6:36 PM

Mar 2013
Red_Keys said:
Your mistake is 1) thinking that harems are about romance and relationships, and 2) thinking that you're supposed to care about, or even notice, the main character on an emotional level.

He's nothing but a plot device, working as an excuse to have female characters on screen at the same time. That's it.

When an author sits down to write a story, they don't start with the main character. It's not his story. They start with every single other character, and then get to him, just to tie them all together.

The result is a character who's actions are dictated by everything else happening around him, who's wishy-washy, inconsistent, emotionally detached and boring, and easy to ignore (because you're not supposed to pay attention to him in the first place).

I think some harems do have romantic buildup and moments. Just not many. I think Nisekoi would probably be the best example of that.
Sep 1, 2015 7:12 PM

Sep 2012
PeripheralVision said:
I think some harems do have romantic buildup and moments. Just not many. I think Nisekoi would probably be the best example of that.
Imo there's more to romance than characters sharing screen time, and blushing sometimes.
Apr 27, 2016 6:59 AM
Apr 2015
LordAura said:
flannan said:

Personally I like it when the MC is seen as the kind of person who should have a harem (for example, a demon lord) and the girls don't have to worry that only one of them ends up chosen.
When I see a guy in anime that I think actually deserves a harem maybe I'll change my opinion, but every one I've seen the series makes completely ridiculous arguments as to why the harem exists in the first place. It usually comes down to, this guy is nice and is probably the only nice guy in existence so I'll happily spread my legs for him and be completely okay with every other girl doing it too.

I guess harem anime aren't made for SJW shitlords like you.
Apr 27, 2016 7:00 AM
Apr 2015
JohnnyBme said:
Just watch School Days and be satisfied
If that piece of shit is the only thing that comes to mind with you, then you have some shit taste in anime.
Apr 27, 2016 7:17 AM
Apr 2016
nikola1809 said:
Is it just some weird tradition? If i imagine myself living with like 5 sexy ladies, 1 being big chested, one being cute..... and i have so many chances, example some girl wants to sleep in your room.... in your bes, but you sleep on the floor lol. And in some of them we have breasts flashing eveywhere? Cant we get some off screen sex please? It would make the romance greater and story deeper :(

Not just in harem anime, but in a lot of anime relationships. It's actually really annoying:
-The guy NEVER makes the first move
-If the girl drops the slightest hint that she's interested in him romatically/sexually, he overreacts/freaks out.

Seeing this over and over really gets on my nerves.
Dec 8, 2017 12:13 AM

Nov 2014
Simple, because they're Beta male cucks who should just switch out their dicks for pussies and become one of the main girls themselves.
Dec 8, 2017 1:09 AM

Aug 2014
EverydayIfight said:
flannan said:
1) The censors won't allow them.
2) The authors like to keep drama going by not letting any girl get much progress. What sex, most of the time they don't even get to kiss until the very end!
3) They say japanese guys are very obsessed about virginity. So any of the girls having sex is a big problem for them..

Probably those. Having sex means conclusion which destroys the fantasy of harem.

There are plenty of Senien Harem manga that have sex though.
myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=26798

You do realise there's a bad harem made by that fucking Elfen lied author called Parallel paradise.
They fucked but theres no conclusion yet.

Ofc it is better to get laid in the end of somewhere before the climax..
Unless you want to add plot where MC are the one who got fucked by the girls or MC need to get laid in order to fight something.
Is retarded but it could work.
Dec 8, 2017 3:20 AM

Dec 2014
Woooot!
2015 thread hype!!!

malandtheirgoshderncharacterlimitsinterferingwithmyreplies
Dec 8, 2017 3:24 AM

Apr 2017
Cause probably they got a gladial dysfunction due to AIDS
-HippySnob-Dec 8, 2017 3:28 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Dec 8, 2017 3:48 AM

Aug 2014
How many MC ever get laid in a normal anime? if it´s not hentai?

Only one i can think about is Clannad, REC, Ef: a tale of memories, white album 2 and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (that f**ker get laid to both girls)

Rakudai and golden time are only close :P
Dec 8, 2017 6:02 AM

Nov 2012
Why the fuck does it matter if the MC gets laid or not? If he doesn't want to have sex, that's his decision, not yours.

If you are that desperate to see him bang, just watch a hentai or play an eroge.
Dec 8, 2017 6:08 AM
Oct 2017
1. woah take a chill pill, jeez.

2. My take: Then you'd have a School Days situation in which you have a shitty MC fucking his way through his harem. To keep the MC somewhat likable, he has to be a decent guy. If he does have sex, it's going to be with the girl he eventually ends up with.
Dec 8, 2017 7:43 AM

Sep 2017
I don't care. The MC is quite cool for being a harem king in his own school or community.
Dec 8, 2017 7:43 AM

Sep 2017
I don't care. The MC is quite cool for being a harem king in his own school or community.
Oct 16, 2021 4:27 AM
Oct 2021
School days was an interesting one where the main character gets laid, and pretty much is in a harem situation. It wasn't the best anime I have watched, and the characters weren't the smartest or learn immediately, but was interesting as a short-run anime how it could be done, and how karma comes around for it.

If you're looking for something long-running though, it's just harder to get it to work, high school did try to make it interesting with marrying multiple characters and including some having kids. Gonna be the same for her who rebuilt the kingdom and others.

One of the biggest things is it truly reflects Japanese culture in some cases, as so many shut ins there, and people who can't afford a family, relationships as work comes first.
Oct 16, 2021 4:32 AM

Apr 2018
nikola1809 said:
Is it just some weird tradition? If i imagine myself living with like 5 sexy ladies, 1 being big chested, one being cute..... and i have so many chances, example some girl wants to sleep in your room.... in your bes, but you sleep on the floor lol. And in some of them we have breasts flashing eveywhere? Cant we get some off screen sex please? It would make the romance greater and story deeper :(

You'll certainly love Mushoku Tensei
Oct 16, 2021 11:34 AM

Jun 2017
I can't answer why. But it's one of the things i hate about anime. The hero is always chaste.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Oct 16, 2021 11:39 AM

Mar 2020
Because author wanna squeeze the f out the story and wanna drag as much as possible so the important things always happens near the end
Oct 16, 2021 11:44 AM

Mar 2020
Dragevard said:
nikola1809 said:

You'll certainly love Mushoku Tensei

Any many other isekai that has tags like ecchi adult smut etc etc

And in places like novel updates there are even more detailed tags like ahem...
Oct 16, 2021 11:53 AM

Apr 2019
1. PG-13
Nobody gets laid in PG-13 ever. And within R+ and Rx where characters get laid, there are better alternatives than childish harem fantasies.

2. Would force a decision
To get laid, MC had to made a decision and effectively kill the harem. This kills the merchandising value of the other girls. Only anime I'm aware of doing it is "My Sister Can't Be This Cute". The 2nd best solution is a full out group orgy, as seen in the finale of "Testament of Sister New Devil". Neither solution turned out to be really popular with the kids (why else it's not done more often).

Oct 16, 2021 12:14 PM

Apr 2015
Because the people who're meant to self-insert into them won't either.
May 2, 2023 9:03 PM
Mar 2022
Because the cowardly pathetic basement dwelling life rejected total permavirgin losers who are the main target audience are so fucking pathetic and sad fucks that they literally get real world jealous cause someone got their oh so so soooo fucking sad hardcore loser's waifu aka a cartoon character that even if was alive not a single one of those disgusting creepers would ever have a chance but they think of them at their LMFAO girlfriend cause the day after whatever episode airs in the what 10-12 all time where the the dude actually gets the girl the forever virgin losers go ape shit on the anime rating sites and blogs and start bad mouthing the shit out of it cause they are jealous losers.

Kinda like the same reason you look at SAO doujinshi where like 90% are created by and for pathetic cowardly losers with the story being kirito getting ntr garbage out of jealousy.   Losers what ya gonne do right?
May 2, 2023 9:04 PM
Mar 2022
AltoRoark said:
From what I've heard, it's a tradition in Japan for males to act "gentlemanly" in public and in front of girls.
But out of view they are the scummiest most degenerate cowardly scumbags the world has ever known.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 4 hours ago

23 by traed »»
6 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

68 by DarkFirefly72 »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

26 by Ex-Aid »»
21 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 7 hours ago

12 by Ex-Aid »»
34 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

100 by FanofAction »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.