Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 31, 2015 3:37 PM

Aug 2015
Having read the Anime Discussion rules I have ascertained that this question is not in violation of the rules since it is not discussing specifics of the series vs. ovas, making comparisons or otherwise in relation to the forbidden acts.

That being said;
I watched Madoka Magica earlier this year and it surprisingly became one of my favorite anime. I thought the story moved at a brisk pace almost entirely throughout, it had a couple of interesting twists and I found the ending wrapped things up nicely. Also note that I actively avoided Madoka Magica despite having it recommended to me many times... I now regret that decision.

Precisely because of what I just said, I am extremely hesitant to view any of the OVAs, especially Rebellion which I've been told is "different" somehow. I have absolutely zero knowledge of it (I like going in completely ignorant about new content I watch) but I know enough that it is different. The anime story was so "Complete" and so perfect... I can't imagine they could improve it somehow.

And yet I keep seeing people recommend the OVAs, I want to watch it, but I don't want to ruin my memories of what I consider to be a flawless series.
Question: Should I watch the OVAs ? I don't want another Visions of Escaflowne cataclysm.

Mod Note: Moved from general Anime Discussion. Questions about what sequel to watch, what chapter to continue a series on in the source manga, or similar extensions from the main series should be posted in the series sub forum.
rodacAug 31, 2015 10:20 PM
Aug 31, 2015 3:42 PM

Jul 2013
Rebellion isn't an OVA, it's a movie sequel to the series.
The other two movies are just recaps of the TV series with a few added scenes.

Rebellion is rated higher than the series on MAL so you'll most likely like it as much.

In my opinion it's a shitty cashgrab so that Shaft can keep milking the series but then again I hated the TV series too.
Aug 31, 2015 3:43 PM

Jan 2008
Just watch the last movie.
Aug 31, 2015 3:48 PM

Aug 2015
It's a continuation?? I thought it was a Rebuild of Evangelion-esque thing where they came up with a new "ending". Alright I will check it out, thanks.
Aug 31, 2015 3:49 PM

Jun 2014
The "OVAs" are movies the first two are just recaps and the third one is a brand new addition to the series. I would really recommend you watch at least the 3rd movie. rebellion. it's great and really adds another layer to the whole series. Some people might consider the ending of it a bit confusing and I think I actually watched it twice. Either way I recommend any Madoka fan picks it up, but if homura was your favorite character there might be a chance there are aspects of it you'll be displeased with. you get to see all the characters again so it's overall a lot of fun.
Aug 31, 2015 9:37 PM

Feb 2013
I like to think of the 3rd movie as more of a side-story or spin-off rather than a sequel. It's excellent in it's own right, but it just doesn't fit with the perfect "package" that is the 12 episodes of the series. Even with it's "problems" I still gave it a well deserved 10, it's just for slightly different reasons than the series.

I do recommend watching it, just not right after watching the series.

As for movies 1 and 2... 1 cuts out way too much from the first 8 episodes (yes it covers 8 episodes, wtf?!). Movie 2 is equal to the series and has a few extra scenes, and I think the credits (music) did a much nicer job than the series did (make you cry). It's worth watching as a nice review of the series before watching movie 3, but again, I treat 3 as "something else".
BurntJellyAug 31, 2015 9:41 PM
Sep 1, 2015 12:42 AM

Apr 2014
Agreed with BurntJelly about everything, except that the third movie really is a sequel. There are quite a few manga with side stories, the only one of which I'd wholeheartedly recommend is The Different Story, which gives some background on Mami and Kyoko's former relationship, hinted at but not thoroughly described in the series.
"Burn this sight into your minds. This is what it means to be a magical girl."
Sep 3, 2015 7:44 AM

Mar 2015
The series' plot definitely felt complete on its own, but Rebellion turned out to be a necessary sequel, at least to me. It's as Urobuchi said, "I feel like I wrote all there is to Madoka in the TV series, and now I’ve written all there is to Homura in this movie." Rather than redefining Homura, it's more like Rebellion touches on a side of her which fans had tend to overlook.

I'd say enjoyment of the TV series lies in an attachment to it's thematic message whereas enjoyment of Rebellion will depend on how attached you are to the characters.

I'll agree with steepholm that TDS is probably the only manga spin off I'd recommend, that and maybe the currently running Wraith Arc.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.