Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 31, 2015 8:53 AM

Mar 2013
Greetings.

Here, I would like to suggest a few matters that would potentially come handy to staff members when maintaining their clubs.

Mod Feed
I suggest clubs having a mod feed which the clubs's staff members could access.

With the relatively bigger and more active community clubs also having quite a few staff members, this feature would come extremely handy on various occasions to pinpoint who has performed what recent change in the club.

Needed info:
  • Accessible to all staff members
  • Cannot be meddled with/for display only
  • Can be filtered by all recent changes and by individual staff member's activity
  • Displays all changes that only an officer/admin rank can perform

For the last point, that would include:
  • Updating of the layout
  • Editing of any other-user post on the club forums
  • Forum post, forum thread and club comments deletion
  • Staff member recruitment, promotion, demotion and removal
  • Banning and unbanning of club members

New Rank: Mod
The idea is to have a new staff rank between officer and admin called "mod".

Pretty self-explanatory, the staff members with the mod rank would have more access power than officers and less than admins. This change would come highly useful in active community clubs.

Matters mods could do that officers cannot:
  • Lock/sticky forum threads (see below for lock)
  • Update the layout

Pretty much everything else, such as staff member concerns, banning of the club members and more would be left to the admin access. Having this middle rank would benefit the club's card makers, event maintainers, layout maintainers and more - they don't require half the power the admin access gives, but only one that an officer rank doesn't. A pretty bad compensation as of current.

Thread Locking
Give the staff members of a mod rank and above the ability to lock forum threads (see above for mods).

Simple and handy. Mods, admins and creators of clubs would have the option to lock and unlock threads at their will; officers wouldn't have this access power. This would come extremely handy when threads max out but there still being a chance you would need them for one matter or another in the future so requesting a lock from a forum moderator is quite a daredevil move.

As far as the lock's power would be concerned, it would look like this:
Mod < admin/creator < forum mod

A mod's lock can be overwritten by an admin while not vice versa. Same with an admin and forum mod relation. In other words, mods wouldn't be able to unlock threads that admins lock, while admins wouldn't be able to unlock threads themselves that MAL forum mods lock. A hierarchy that would prevent potential abuse of the feature.

Thread Creation
Implement an option for only staff members of a mod rank and above to be able to create threads in the club's forum board.

Some clubs like to prevent spam in their forum board as much as possible, and that is usually only able to be achieved via the thread pending system that currently runs on trust. Having an optional feature to allow only mods, admins and creators to create threads in a forum board could help reduce unwanted threads greatly, without hoping that the club members would read the sticky thread with the pending system explained before creating a new thread themselves.

Do note that this is purely optional, meaning that no club would have this feature set on default upon creation.

Automatic Staff Table
It would be nice if clubs could receive automatic staff tables/showcases, such as the one the MAL staff has.

A sub-page of the club where the staff would be listed:
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=*value*/team

This would help keep the staff tables clean and organized. It could be accessed from below the club's display picture, where the "Join/Leave Club" is located.

Another trick, however, is that an admin of a club could name the ranks himself (such as the MAL's staff Database Administrator, Forum Moderator, etc.) as well as add people to the sector himself. That added user would also have the power to remove himself from the list if found inappropriate.

On default, the ranks would include Creator, Admin, Mod, and Officer. They could be altered from then on, either some sectors removed or more added (up to 20 or so). The minimum amount of sectors would be 1.

This could be a tad hard to implement, but it would be wonderful.

Club Announcements
Bring in club-wide announcements that share the most important and currently hot information.

Pretty simple. An announcement could be created by an admin rank that would then pop-up in a box on the top of the club's index page and above the sticky threads in the club's forum board. With active clubs having a filled layout already and there being dozens of sticky threads that get bumped at different paces, the most important info usually sinks somewhere in the middle where it's hard to be seen. That is why announcements could cover the most necessary info.

The outside of an announcement acts as an introducing box with a title and potential sub-title. Clicking on it leads to the announcement that is presented in a forum thread shape. In other words, it is some sort of a master sticky thread that also appears above the club's layout, not only on top of the forum board.

The maximum limit for announcements at a time is 2.

Thank you for reading; more ideas could come in the future. Please, fell free to discuss the matter below.
Aug 31, 2015 12:57 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
This would be exceedingly useful for clubs. Not sure what the LOE would be, but it would allow a better degree of self-moderation for the clubs so that the MAL Moderators could focus on other areas.
Aug 31, 2015 1:02 PM

Mar 2013
Referencing to Elk's input of potential high level of effort necessary to be input for these matters to be pushed through, we would just like to add the fact that while possibly not evident right away, the community clubs actually seem to deliver quite some quality activity overall to the website, so it might be a factor worth taking into consideration when taking decisions on the matter; the better the settings for the maintainers, the higher the quality of maintenance.
Aug 31, 2015 2:41 PM

Oct 2009
What about simple notifies about new comments and posts or threads? Would definitely be useful in the less active clubs
Aug 31, 2015 8:13 PM

Jul 2013
I support it. Club management would benefit tremendously from this.
Aug 31, 2015 8:20 PM

Jul 2013
Soul-Master said:
I support it. Club management would benefit tremendously from this.
Sep 1, 2015 2:46 PM

Sep 2013
Someone wanna tell me why this shouldn't be a thing? Because it obviously should be implemented.

Too bad it'll be brushed under like many good suggestions.

ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ Step up boi ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ
Sep 1, 2015 4:27 PM

Oct 2009
Make it so that we are redirected to the club forum ("Club Discussion") after removing a thread
Sep 1, 2015 5:41 PM

Jul 2013
MAL won't implement this because they never give any decent suggestion a shot.

And even if they would it will take a while since they've got tons of shit to prioritize.
Oct 10, 2015 11:07 AM

Mar 2013
This would still be very much wanted.
Oct 27, 2015 1:26 AM

Jul 2012
Oct 27, 2015 9:07 PM

Jan 2009
support this will lessen the workload of forum moderators here
Oct 29, 2015 5:16 PM

Mar 2010
Ah Yeah... I think I posted on another thread similar to this.. Or I imagined it lol.. Anyways yeah this would be awesome..

Rasco has spoken. Get it done Devs, after the profile ofc :v

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 11, 2015 6:52 AM

Mar 2013
Thank you for the support, peeps.

These features would still be very much wanted and needed.
Nov 13, 2015 1:53 PM

Apr 2015
+1 Great suggestions.

I definitely feel that the second, third and fourth points are crucial for club-management. Points one, five and six are really nice features to have as well, but may not be as urgently required in my opinion.
Nov 29, 2015 1:58 PM

Mar 2013
These features would still be very much appreciated.
Nov 29, 2015 2:21 PM

Jan 2013
it's almost retarded that MAL doesn't have this.
+1
Dec 6, 2015 10:57 PM

Mar 2013
All the support up until now is appreciated.

We have yet to hear an official response on the matter, though.
Dec 7, 2015 5:30 PM

Nov 2015
I would agree with the new rank "MOD".

However I would also highly suggest a difference between the creator and the admins.
Right now they are exactly the same, and the only difference is just the creator has the tag "creator".

In order to make this difference , I would suggest that the creator should not be able to be removed the admins. By adding this basic feature, it already make huge difference.

Please see the detail in the thread below that I made, and if anyone agrees to it, please respond in that thread:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1458998

thank you.

Dec 7, 2015 5:39 PM

Jun 2013
+1, The logic behind this suggestion is really solid. This would ease the duties of the forum moderators immensely, although implementing this will require some effort but I would think that it would be worth it in the end.
Dec 23, 2015 1:23 AM

Mar 2013
Thank you for the support.

The requested changes are still very wanted.
Jan 2, 2016 3:00 PM

Mar 2013
These features are perpetually wanted and required.
Jan 2, 2016 3:10 PM

Aug 2014
This sounds great! I would love to see this be added. Clubs are a great place to hang out. They need some love :)
Jan 3, 2016 2:21 AM

Mar 2013
Ardanaz said:
This sounds great! I would love to see this be added. Clubs are a great place to hang out. They need some love :)

And active members such as yourself make it a nice place to hang out ;)

The only potentially unfortunate factor I see is that those that do not really frequent clubs would give the open forums higher priority. I cannot stand for that, regardless of the AD/CD activity. The clubs deserve updates they should receive, and with the open forums now getting changes, I believe it's time to touch the clubs as well.
Jan 3, 2016 2:31 AM

Aug 2014
Subpyro said:
And active members such as yourself make it a nice place to hang out ;)

Subpyro said:
The only potentially unfortunate factor I see is that those that do not really frequent clubs would give the open forums higher priority.

Why do you think that? I don't really see how that would happen. I'm probably just missing something though :P
Jan 3, 2016 2:40 AM

Mar 2013
Ardanaz said:
Why do you think that? I don't really see how that would happen. I'm probably just missing something though :P

Good question. It is just my observation, but for a while now, I believe the staff in general acts quite distant towards the clubs in relation to the open forums.

On the open forums, they stand as their leaders and maintain them accordingly, potentially requesting code updates and changes if they see it fit. As far as the clubs are concerned, however, they leave open hands to the clubs' specific staff.

I actually like it that it is this open and free. However, I believe that when it comes to code-wise changes and inner updates, the staff and devs alike (the two matters are directly related) should lend us a hand so we push through at least the most necessary things that we are requesting.

We would love that and appreciate it very much :)
Jan 3, 2016 2:47 AM

Aug 2014
Sounds accurate.

I hope to see some club updates in the near future ^^
I post in clubs a lot and they've meant a lot to me (still do).
Jan 6, 2016 12:27 PM
Mar 2015
I have nothing to add; this suggestion should must be implemented in the immediate future.
Jan 6, 2016 12:34 PM

Dec 2013
With the thoughts that I put in this thread
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1469827

I put my support in that something must be done and that my thread is proof of someone who is in this situation and is why these types of changes need to be implemented.
Jan 6, 2016 8:40 PM

Jul 2015
Support. I'm interested in knowing approximately how many clubs there are that would benefit from this; unfortunately, if there aren't enough to justify the effort, MAL will probably just sweep it under the rug.
Jan 17, 2016 4:49 AM

Mar 2013
Thank you for the on-going support, everyone.

These features would still be required.
Jan 17, 2016 11:00 AM
Jul 2018
I'm not an active MAL club user but for useful clubs like Seasonal Anime clubs, Manga Licensing clubs, etc. This would most definitely be very useful (too many positive words for great emphasis).
Jan 22, 2016 7:01 AM

Mar 2013
Your support is appreciated.

I don't know how much it would be to ask for it, but an update from the devs' point of view on the matter would be nice by now.
Jan 26, 2016 9:09 AM

Mar 2013
The points shared above still stand. Thank you.
Jan 31, 2016 6:27 AM

Mar 2013
The features listed are still wanted.

Sharing progress on them or any club-wise matters would be appreciated.
Jan 31, 2016 7:10 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Pessimistically speaking while all these features are great, some of them are very "new" so to speak. I can't imagine the devs devoting the work required to build a mod feed for clubs like the one you've suggested and I can see other features being watered down to take less time to do. eg. All those new permissions granted to mods might become a series of tick boxes where the admins can set officer permissions now which would scrub the need for a new rank.

While I completely support this and it would be quality to see all these implemented as they are, somehow I don't see that happening.
Jan 31, 2016 9:19 AM

Mar 2013
One thing that I blame CraveOnline for is making many MAL users believe that implementing web features that include scripts and display is hard. If one calls themselves a programmer, implementing the features listed should be a piece of cake.

As for what is new and what not, that would be debatable.

The mod-user feed already exists, it is even public (any plans on changing that soon?) even though bugged. So yeah, that aspect would require a rewrite, but it's still only a recording and display at the end of the day. A new rank with middle-ground permissions wouldn't require any exceedingly difficult algorithms, either. I won't even go into thread locking. Club staff can be seen as it's own class and from there permissions given. Thread creation limitation is already active in Updates & Announcements. Mirror it to the club's staff. Automatic staff table already exists for the staff of MAL. Announcements, on the other hand, would be something new. Still shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The main issue we face is whether the devs will dedicate the time for clubs to bring necessary changes to them, or keep pushing through relatively unnecessary other-part changes. The suggestions listed here and the ability to edit club comments are essential.

It's not a matter of difficulty, but time dedicated on the aspect.
SubbedJan 31, 2016 9:23 AM
Feb 6, 2016 11:14 AM

Mar 2013
The features would still be appreciated.
Feb 19, 2016 11:49 AM

Jan 2014
Bump.

Feb 19, 2016 4:46 PM
Jul 2018
I absolutely support all the points brought up here.

Also... This has been here for a few months. Do something, please :).
Mar 1, 2016 12:12 PM

Mar 2013
These feature changes are still very much wanted and needed.
Mar 3, 2016 8:10 AM
Jul 2018
@Subpyro I doubt they'll ever be implemented.
Mar 13, 2016 3:58 AM

Mar 2013
Named features are still required and would be appreciated.

@Recuvan Trying is not a sin, I guess.

Still wanted and required.

Any sort of response on the matter is still wanted.

The requests remain; we are still looking for an update. Thank you.

The suggested features are still wanted and required. An update and response on the matter would be appreciated.

Might as well implement a Bump option that could be used after a thread falls behind page 1 for bumping without the need of creating chain posts.

These features are still wanted and needed.

Apparently I shouldn't bump threads anymore.
SubbedJul 1, 2016 12:25 PM

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Yesterday

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
10 hours ago

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.