Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 28, 2015 4:16 AM

Mar 2015
Out of curiosity.

I really disliked it and I was expecting Makishima to succeed in his plan. O.o
But if you think otherwise, what things did you like about the system?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, let me add something. This is from this article (http://myanimelist.net/featured/129)

// The Sibyl System is what dictates the lives of Japan’s citizens. It is an immense artificial intelligence that is able to document, assess, and make pinpoint predictions of an individual’s personality and aptitude. This is then expressed as a numeric quantity known as a 'Crime Coefficient' and colour known as a 'Hue' - collectively known as a 'Psycho-Pass'. The system is primarily a means to monitor the health and mental well-being of a person, but its accuracy also allows it to predict the future course of a person’s life - even when they are still a child.

Its role is to ensure the greatest amount of happiness for the greatest amount of people. It selects jobs that are most suited to a person, sends alerts when their mental health is deteriorating, and maintains public law and order through swift, pre-emptive apprehension of criminals. //

Now, a system that is made of human brains can maybe be greater than artificial intelligence. The last will still be made by humans.

In this world, everyone is assured their needs to live, and it's also nearly free of crime. As said above, the system judges the people and gives them options to live their lives in the happiest way possible. It also selects their jobs, and give mental health care if they 'need it'. So maybe the only fear that one may have in his/her life is that his/her pshyco pass can raise. The ones with high crime potential will be put on rehabilitation, even though they didn't commit any crime yet.
AnotherFreeSoulAug 28, 2015 7:06 AM
Aug 28, 2015 4:17 AM

Sep 2014
sure ... sounds like a good idea
lewd is love, lewd is life !

Aug 28, 2015 4:22 AM

Mar 2015
Haha, really? Or is that sarcasm?
Aug 28, 2015 4:24 AM

Nov 2011
Considering the point of the show is to show how flawed it is, the answer is no.

Aug 28, 2015 4:35 AM

Mar 2015
KaiserNazrin said:
Considering the point of the show is to show how flawed it is, the answer is no.

Well, but there was the possibility to make it 'perfect'. The show was being pretty objective though.
Aug 28, 2015 5:01 AM

Feb 2015
The system was described in the show as some sort of collaboration between a network of minds (and/or ai?). The system as it was practised in the show was so full of arbitrary contradictions and inconveniences that it could only have been designed by a pseudo-intellectual.

Iulmi said:
KaiserNazrin said:

Well, but there was the possibility to make it 'perfect'.

With a total design overhaul, sure, but then it wouldn't be the same system, would it?
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Dec 12, 2015 4:58 PM
Sep 2015
I don't think this or any system could ever be 'perfect'. Because people are not perfect, and never will be. Perfection is impossible [not a real thing] imo, but that's another discussion...

Fictional totalitarian systems like this are often depicted as having serious problems or flaws, OR having some secret in their beginnings that taints their reputation.

Like Akane says in one of the episodes [don't remember which] it would be far better for every single individual in society to be educated and grow emotionally and intellectually as a person to the point where we no longer have a need of such systems in the first place. Government would become obsolete. Humanity's been trying to 'perfect' the government system for hundreds of years to little avail imo. I think exactly what Akane suggests will become real someday. Despite the general "what's this world coming to" B.S. conviction, the general attitude of people in the world is way better than a thousand years ago.
Just 1 example: We don't have "town hangings" anymore, or Gladiatorial games. Sure we're still violent in many ways, but things have changed, for the better imo.
Dec 12, 2015 4:59 PM

Jan 2013
No,

Sybil restricts you from being stressed over dumb things. I get stressed over dumb things.

I'd be executed in less than a day.
Dec 17, 2015 5:17 AM

Dec 2015
My answer'd depend on how Sibyl judges. I feel the show left a couple of things ambigious.

On one hand, it says Sibyl determines Hue by monitoring the mental state of its citizens and their stress levels. Which should mean one of two things: its a relatively objective process, entirely automated, or that scans are advanced enough to interpret brain waves accurately and sub-consciously ask the minds of citizens how they feel.

While on the other, it says the individual members of Sibyl judge crime coefficients manually. Now this, I have a serious problem with, because then they're just a bunch of hypocrites who've run out of things to do with their overlived lives.

But the former interpretation seems to me, the most beautiful system of judgement there could be. No omnipresence is exacting judgement on people who do what it has determined to be an act of evil. If Sibyl is judging people by interpreting their brain waves, then it essentially dwelves in their conscience. It's asking people the Dominator points at if they think what they're doing is acceptable. It's giving neglected principles and morals a voice to the mind of their beholder.

Then like Tsunemori says, Sibyl is no jury, its the collective conscience of its people.
Dec 28, 2015 7:55 AM
Dec 2015
noI don't understand why we give all power and free will up to others so we don't have to deal with the emotions that come with harsh life choices. If someone commits a crime that produces a victim, the victim is the only one that should have a ruling on the criminals fate. This will give victims a chance to seek revenge or pass on forgivness, working through the true tragedy that is life. And petty criminals must meet their gulit early before it consumes them, with the idea of advocating revenge, harden criminals may have to think twice before commiting a violent crime.

Like national security, civial security is better left to the civilians. The leader of Japan once admitted that he didn't invade the Untied States not because of their military power, but of fear of militia power. That behind every blade of grass, was a citizens with a gun. From protection to agrecalture and even theology were taught to leave it to the hands of others, ones who seek it as a profession rather then a personal goal. Never the less, its been a while since humanity has seen true freedom... and we much rather see our community health or hue if you will deminish before we ever glance at total freedom.
Dec 31, 2015 6:25 AM

Mar 2015
Gracen123 said:
If someone commits a crime that produces a victim, the victim is the only one that should have a ruling on the criminals fate. This will give victims a chance to seek revenge or pass on forgivness, working through the true tragedy that is life.

I don't think that this would be appropiate at all :S
Dec 31, 2015 6:36 AM

Nov 2014
I would would go to prison immediately. So no.

Dec 31, 2015 8:28 AM

Sep 2013
I love lolis, so I'll instantly get killed.
Jan 5, 2016 10:02 AM
Jan 2016
I've ever entertained the idea of a future of having a supermachine that could identify everyone's talent and potential at first glance to sort us to the career we would do best at. There are problems with that system already about freewill and passion etc. But it made sense from a view of maximising a society's benefit.

That aside, i think the question was regarding more about the prosecution system in SIbyl, not so much the career tool part. Hm.

Honestly, having such a system in its theoretical form is, to me, desirable. It does kind of prosecute people on sight for crimes they've yet to commit but there are redeeming factors.

1. Since when do we rather a crime to already have been committed to be the better case scenario in anything. Best thing is to have no victim.

2. Unless someone has a crazy high crime coefficient, that person is probably just put to sleep and then sent for therapy. Which even to a criminal is a better choice than jail time.

However, i say that such system in its theoretcial form is desirable because i guess if you are going to take someone's life on the spot using a scan from the dominator, you better get your science right. The link between stress/mental health and crime coefficient (prob that they will commit a crime) better be flawless.

But since sibyl has a human judgement element to it, it changes the story. Having/neeeding human judgement seems to suggest there is no perfect science that could predict behaviour and in that sense, i think its better to not have the system? hmm. im split here because even the current prosecution system is laced with subjectivity/luck etc. Better lawyers, corruption, connection, lack of evidence, different jury/judge. The current system seem to have alot more subjectivity in incriminating criminals.

In light of the recent police violence events in US as well as paris terrorist attack , it is indeed a wonder if sibyl system then would not have been the perfect panacea.

There are people that are exception to the system, like the makishima guy but isnt that extraordinarily rare. I bet the current system has more blind spots than sibyl system (all the rich people, celebrities, etc)

Hence i think if sibyl system can be perfect science then i think that is desirable? oh no. it seems like ive typed too long. Did i take this question too seriously? LOL

thought the anime was rather illogical in certain areas. So making a question on a rather illogically designed system is hard imo.
Jan 5, 2016 11:23 AM

Mar 2015
exoanon said:

Hence i think if sibyl system can be perfect science then i think that is desirable? oh no. it seems like ive typed too long. Did i take this question too seriously? LOL

No, it's an awesome response. I wanted to see different points of view. I just though it would be fun to talk about it. I'm still not sure of what's my own opinion, lol.
Feb 5, 2016 5:25 PM

Apr 2012
At the very very start when it touted being a fast track to an almost 100% crime-free society, as well as a tool to help you identify exactly which job you'd be happy and successful in, generally taking a lot of the angst out of everyday life and making sure your mental health didn't suffer, sure, it sounded great.

But those are really just the "selling points" and the reality is totally different, open to all kinds of life-destroying errors, developing a totally false and dangerous sense of complacency, and prone to corruption. Just seeing all the genuinely honest, compassionate and driven former detectives who are now prisoners in the bureau (until they get sent out under the supervision of Inspectors) just for doing their job? Plus it's really just created a totally totalitarian society -- Yayoi was seriously locked up for life for listening to "unauthorised music"? Mental. That scene where a woman was beaten to death with a hammer while people just stood around and watched because they "didn't understand what murder was" or some nonsense definitely highlighted how dangerous it is.

Plus like someone else said I am so easily stressed that I would be sent to prison a week after being born lmao

(I do want some of those other technological advances though like the cute jellyfish butler, the ability to magically redecorate your home for free every day, the compact mirror which lets you instantly change clothes in the middle of the street etc etc...)
Jun 24, 2016 5:16 PM
Dec 2013
Only with two caveats, that the lethal eliminator option is revoked and that the system is more involved with the economy. Seems rather pointless since the rape victim in the 1st episode was a target for lethal elimination despite doing nothing wrong and i'd like payment and good pricing to be better managed (through the system), though full employment along with proper employment already being there is pretty good.
That being said, I'd prefer it over the current system.
All societies are 'dictatorships'/'totalitarian' so it's just a matter of who has power, who the ones in power serve and how the system is meant to operate. Rather live in a totalitarian society which gives all people a well suited job and leave decisions to a 'non-human' system designed to maximize happiness as opposed to a totalitarian society driven by greed and competition that solely serves the ruling elite leaving billions to suffer, starve and die for their pleasure.
InnavoiAoreugiJun 24, 2016 5:24 PM
Jul 6, 2016 9:35 AM
Jul 2016
InnavoiAoreugi said:

That being said, I'd prefer it over the current system.

See the problem I have with Sibyl is that under its rule people are not people, they're robots. The whole idea that every individual's future is resolved from their present by a superior intelligence is entirely too determinist for me to feel comfortable with it. Strip away a human's ability to make judgements and choices, and what are you left with? You're left with that scene where the helmet dude killed a woman blow by blow with no one doing anything, or the scene where Akane couldn't shoot Makishima even to save her friend's life, because they had lost their ability to make decisions; they didn't have a mind anymore.

I do not deny that a system like Sibyl could make a better-functioning society, in the sense that it would be more efficient and people wouldn't die of starvation or murder. If you think about it every society is a compromise, you give away some of your freedom in exchange for safety and perhaps happiness, the problem is that in the sliding scale of freedom vs happiness I lean towards the former slightly more than the latter; hence I will always prefer democracy, no matter how flawed, to a totalitarian system, no matter how efficient.

Even if Sibyl were objective, perfect and infallible, I would not want it. It takes away my ability to decide and therefore everything that distinguishes me from a bacteria. I don't know if my argument is a bit naive, what can I say, I'm an idealist.
ZyellowzJul 6, 2016 11:40 AM
Aug 3, 2016 2:05 PM

Aug 2012
Yes and no. The Sibil system tries to determine if someone is going to commit a crime before they do it. It is impossible. It could be made to detect the command sent from the brain to the body to cut someone's throat for instance and let's say stop it by paralyzing temporary the subject or we could just find a way to block the part of the brain that allows a person to lie. And it could be fully automated. But you are judged by the brains of psycopaths. No man has the right to judge another. Another problem is how the Sibil tries to heal people with accesses of violence. It is not working. It is based on a view of stupid optimistic people. For instance for many people including myself a way to relieve stress is play a shooter. Basically you release all the stress in an virtual environment. Just trying to have happy thoughts does not work. There other ways to help those people but it depends on each person and it would take too much to explain. Basically Sibil is just a farce. It does not work. It is a placebo. Just like many SJW consider that you can make people to think a certain so does the system. About Makashima I understand him and agree with him but not with his methods. Like Machiavelli said the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And the chick was weak. A bomb would have destroyed this whole system. I often wonder what would happen if electronics would stop working. Would humanity self destroy or regain its soul?
Jul 19, 2020 11:35 PM
Jul 2020
No never the place where we are not allowed show our emotion or anger this makes human machine.If in sibyl system a hostage situation rise and he tortured if his crime coefficient rise he is executed whether he commit crime or not.Emition makes human different from machine and now human have to suppress their emotion because if they didn't do it then classify as a criminal.Its a one place of hell to live in my view where people not allowed live as a human.Depending on technology is important but over depending on technology is hazardous for human.
Jul 19, 2020 11:37 PM
Jul 2020
No never the place where we are not allowed show our emotion or anger this makes human machine.If in sibyl system a hostage situation rise and he tortured if his crime coefficient rise he is executed whether he commit crime or not.Emition makes human different from machine and now human have to suppress their emotion because if they didn't do it then classify as a criminal.Its a one place of hell to live in my view where people not allowed live as a human.Depending on technology is important but over depending on technology is hazardous for human.
Jul 2020
Jul 2020
Jan 23, 2021 1:01 PM
Dec 2017
Honestly not at all because emotions are hwhat makes human and you can't rely on a machine to make judgements for you.

Feb 6, 2021 9:06 PM
Feb 2021
No BIG no, tbh i'm too scared if Sibyl System exist in this world, i have anxiety so yeah u know what i mean

More topics from this board

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2013

928 by EndSh0t »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2013

329 by Saww_Duss »»
Yesterday, 3:30 PM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2013

273 by ANIk_003 »»
Mar 7, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

352 by The_Black_B3ast »»
Mar 4, 2:49 PM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2013

288 by The_Black_B3ast »»
Mar 2, 9:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.