Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 22, 2015 6:29 AM

Jan 2014
Are you one of those special snowflakes that don't like FMAB because it tops your favorite animu?

Read the reviews. Enlighten yourself.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2015 6:34 AM
Jun 2012
na i gave it a pretty generous rating. I'm not one of those guys that give 'legend of the galactic heroes' a 1/10 from seeing 1 episode because the last 20 people loved it and it didnt look as pretty as SAO.
Aug 22, 2015 6:37 AM

Apr 2015
h3witt said:
na i gave it a pretty generous rating. I'm not one of those guys that give 'legend of the galactic heroes' a 1/10 from seeing 1 episode because the last 20 people loved it and it didnt look as pretty as SAO.

YOU MONSTER!
Aug 22, 2015 7:41 AM

Jun 2015
It delves into mature complex themes, yet is accessable to the general audience. Put those hand-to-hand along with tons of likeable characters, and you've got one hell of a show.
Aug 22, 2015 10:17 AM

Mar 2015
i think it's best representation of battle shounen other than another high rated shounen.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 22, 2015 10:25 AM

Aug 2015
Ill tell you what, FMAB is an absolute perfection of a series. It has an almost flawless plot, consistently brilliant art and music, gag scenes that dont shit on things but add perfume to them, superb action and amazing, amazing character development. If you find this series to be not worth your time, then fine: rest easy with the knowledge that there is something profoundly wrong with you.
You've done nothing but spout meaningless prattle. - Yukino Yukinoshita.
Aug 22, 2015 10:38 AM

Sep 2013
broenheim said:
Ill tell you what, FMAB is an absolute perfection of a series. It has an almost flawless plot, consistently brilliant art and music, gag scenes that dont shit on things but add perfume to them, superb action and amazing, amazing character development. If you find this series to be not worth your time, then fine: rest easy with the knowledge that there is something profoundly wrong with you.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Headscratchers/FullmetalAlchemist
www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13702

Most of the complaints FMA gets are from the immature out of place comedy ''perfume'' LOL
Aug 22, 2015 10:39 AM

Jul 2011
People likes things that you don't.
Mind=Blow
Aug 22, 2015 10:39 AM

Jul 2013
broenheim said:
gag scenes that dont shit on things but add perfume to them

I think that at least this is something that most people don't agree with, not even FMA:B fans.
Also it would help if you had watched more than a handful of series before you call something an absolute perfection.
Aug 22, 2015 10:42 AM

Jul 2015
h3witt said:
Just curious to see why people think fmab is good. For me it didn't have any standout attributes and even the basics were pretty mediocre. I mean sure its a subjective thing but i'm still confused why its rated so highly.

I agree .It was okay for me but objectively it's probably the best anime in the last 16 yrs .I once tried typing "FMAB is trash" on the internet .The most I got was a comparison to another trash anime and how FMAB was a masterpiece .It's probably to do with how it's quite ungeneric and can be watched by even older viewers
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Aug 22, 2015 10:42 AM

Sep 2012
Because there is not even a single anime better than Brotherhood in existence.
Aug 22, 2015 10:44 AM

Sep 2013
What with this ''objectively'' disease.
Aug 22, 2015 11:10 AM
Jul 2015
I watched the first episode and got bored so I didn't watch more. But now Im reading the manga, and I don't think is thaaat good. I was about to drop it for the constant religion bashing, but then it got interesting (after 8 volumes) and I think its alright. I can deal with a story that offends my beliefs if its good.

Abot the characters, I don't find them very likeable. I just dont care about them. Al is the only one I really like, he is cute and smart. He is the reason I didn't give up on the manga.
Aug 22, 2015 11:22 AM
Jul 2015
Because different people have different opinions.
Aug 22, 2015 11:25 AM

Mar 2015
Isn't this like the 3rd thread on this topic?
Aug 22, 2015 12:20 PM

Jun 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
Isn't this like the 3rd thread on this topic?
Make it 30
Aug 22, 2015 12:33 PM

Feb 2015
It's the best rated seinen for a reason
Aug 22, 2015 12:35 PM

May 2012
Because it is accessible with competent writing, a good cast of characters, and some good fights. The worldbuilding is good as is the narrative as whole. It interweaves various sub-plots and character arcs into a reasonably satisfactory climax.
Aug 22, 2015 12:36 PM

Sep 2013
JonasDaJay said:

It's a shounen thou xD
Aug 22, 2015 12:36 PM

Feb 2013
romagia said:
le edgy atheist pandering

Aug 22, 2015 12:40 PM

Apr 2013
Agafin said:
This type of threads should be banned from MAL.

OT: It's the closest thing to a flawless anime with pretty much universal appeal and zero controversy. Just like I said before, the highest rated anime is not the most loved one but rather the least hated popular one, always.
Aug 22, 2015 12:41 PM
Mar 2015
hoopla123 said:
Agafin said:
This type of threads should be banned from MAL.

OT: It's the closest thing to a flawless anime with pretty much universal appeal and zero controversy. Just like I said before, the highest rated anime is not the most loved one but rather the least hated popular one, always.
Aug 22, 2015 12:46 PM

Feb 2015
ichii_1 said:
JonasDaJay said:

It's a shounen thou xD

:P
Aug 22, 2015 2:55 PM

Jul 2015
An anime is good when a lot of people appreciate it.

We don't care if whatever anime you like isn't as popular as you think it should be because life isn't fair.

People think FMAB is good because they enjoy it.

B8 failed m8, i r8 0/8 m8 much h8 dont appreci8
Aug 22, 2015 2:58 PM

Aug 2014
It's the best shounen I've seen.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Aug 22, 2015 5:39 PM

Jul 2013
It's just the least hated one.
Aug 22, 2015 6:18 PM

Jan 2014
Because it is the best anime.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 22, 2015 6:42 PM

Nov 2014
It's a good starting point for anyone who starts watching anime.

Aug 27, 2015 10:49 PM

Jan 2013
I think that people now watching or reading it have some sort of expectation for it now, which is sad and makes anything harder to enjoy when you genuinely "expect" it to be mindblowing and think every scene is going or should be badass.
makes a lot of these threads and of course, "didnt live up to my expectations."

I honestly didnt know FMA:B was the highest rated on here..Glad to see it, though. It is genuinely one of my favorites, though, I am a bit biased as it was something that really sparked my interest in anime (not counting DBZ, pokemon and the like I watched before when I was younger)

It's made by a good production company, has likeable characters, interesting storyline and arcs, good fight scenes, delves in complex issues, is equally intense and "dark" at times as well as comedy and not so mature themes.. many different emotions. philosophical, well thought out story with no plot holes.

Also, canonically correct, which you dont see a lot and is very refreshing, cant think of any other manga adaptation that was done so well.

So, basically, it has a lot in it that many different kinds of people can enjoy. It was done well, and the story was well thought out before being adapted which really helped. the mangaka thought about the story for a long time with many trials, and basically taking her time to perfect the story which really shone through imo.
Aug 30, 2015 12:41 AM

Dec 2011
As someone who watched fair bit of anime in almost all genres (including hentai and not for fap.purposes) and as a writer I'll give my opinion on this.

I absolutely loved FMB but by no means I find it the best.

General idea of the plot is interesting, albeit already seen. Luckily not as much as usual power up, beat the bad guy trope. It takes courage to tackle serious topics such as religion and politics. In my opinion shounen doesn't really fit those.

What mostly took away from anime is the fact main characters are basically kids. I understand it was supposed to show their growth and how they cope with learning truth about how world works, but it was clumsily executed. During the whole show they remained stubborn kids, never learning some things. Yes it's noble that you want to save everyone, but you risk many for the sake of one. Ok it's fiction, always works out in the end, but if you are going for serious topics that are metaphor for our own world and even for Nazi Germany then add some weight to it. Make characters make impactful choices.

Also to me it seems side characters and some antagonists received more development than others.

Although it was better than other Shounens, underneath the shell main characters are still good old shounen cliches. Good guys that just never give up, never feel broken and keep on fighting until they finally kick the bad guy's ass.

I also dislike how vague everything about Homunculi and The Truth (or God if you will) was left. Humans created the first and he taught them alchemy? Or did they know it already. But wait he was part of the Truth (I don't want to go back there - when Homunculi was deafeted) ? How did humans manage to extract it?

Also why does he get so little exposure and gets only few lines explaining his motives?

I did like tho how not even bad chatacters were actually evil to be evil. I came to pity Envy as he was left in his slug form, wanting only to be more like humans. Although I knew what he was envious of after his first few lines (shitty humans, ugly humans). And pretty much everything was slightly predictable.

As for animation, it is good but doesn't stand out, however it's very consistent.

Soundtrack is a killer.

As for emotional moments, I didn't feel too much saddness when they occured.

Mom dying and being so desperate to get her back.is fine..Something everyone can relate to and has impact.

Maes... all we saw of him was that he blabbered about his family, had an easy going shell, but was much more serious under it. But it wasn't developed all that well, just throw in there. Can't deny the impactof "Why are they burrying daddy"... having witnessed that scene in real life it hit me in the guts.

Nina scene people say is tearjerker. I say it was a character who appeared in one episode and I didn't connect to it. It's a scene that shows people with power will use all the means necessary to keep it, even if it means sacrificing their own family.

All in all, what I am trying to say is that we have a show that is tagged as shounen but stands between few genres. It has some shounen cliches, but avoids many and characters are not hur dur I strong I win, but also doesn't explore the story nor develops characters and story as much to fit other genres.

However it does stand as one of the better shows, as it's well rounded.

I liked the ending even tho most hate it. Elric and Alphonse were always together, dependant on each other, and everyone seemed to forget they were both individuals with different goals. Not to say the theory of Ed sustaining Al's body seemed to be correct.

I'd give it 8/10 objectively but as far as enjoyment goes it's 10/10. As I watch I don't analyze and simply enjoy. If most people.enjoyed it as it is and ranked it number 1 then it's where it deserves to be.
Sep 1, 2015 7:24 AM

Mar 2014
It's incredible! It's the one show I willingly re-watch.
Sep 8, 2015 3:50 PM

Apr 2014
I wouldn't say it's the best or a masterpiece but it comes pretty damn close.
Sep 9, 2015 11:21 AM
Jun 2014
andpark said:
romagia said:

le empowered female character trope

I never got how the female characters in FMA are any more empowered than other shounen.

Aside from Riza, none of the other female characters are important.

Winry only fix windmill and is a love interest
Armstrong is a stereotypical strong woman but does nothing out of value for the plot
Lust is the stereotypical deadly temptation
Edward's teacher is..well she is good so I will count her with Riza
That glass girl is ???

So two empowered female characters that's not much and can be found even in a shounen like One Piece.
Which glass girl?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
51 minutes ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 15, 8:13 PM

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Apr 15, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

343 by Nicolay18 »»
Apr 13, 1:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.