Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 22, 2015 3:57 AM
Jun 2012
Just curious to see why people think fmab is good. For me it didn't have any standout attributes and even the basics were pretty mediocre. I mean sure its a subjective thing but i'm still confused why its rated so highly.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 22, 2015 4:00 AM

Feb 2013
le edgy atheist pandering
le empowered female character trope
le shounen with an ending and no filler face
and pretty good production values and music to boot
what's not to like
Aug 22, 2015 4:06 AM

Sep 2013
romagia said:

I never got how the female characters in FMA are any more empowered than other shounen.

Aside from Riza, none of the other female characters are important.

Winry only fix windmill and is a love interest
Armstrong is a stereotypical strong woman but does nothing out of value for the plot
Lust is the stereotypical deadly temptation
Edward's teacher is..well she is good so I will count her with Riza
That glass girl is ???

So two empowered female characters that's not much and can be found even in a shounen like One Piece.
Aug 22, 2015 4:08 AM

Feb 2013
andpark said:
romagia said:

I never got how the female characters in FMA are any more empowered than other shounen.

Armstrong is a stereotypical strong woman but does nothing out of value for the plot
That glass girl is ???

So two empowered female characters that's not much and can be found even in a shounen like One Piece.
i'd think that there are some subtleties only a female mangaka can get right, but i can't quite put my finger on it
Aug 22, 2015 4:10 AM
Jun 2012
I'm not trying to pick a fight but isn't the animation pretty generic. im an animator and just trying to study why its successful, i preferably like niche animations.
Aug 22, 2015 4:10 AM

Feb 2015
andpark said:
romagia said:

That glass girl is ???

He is probably just a sexist who doesn't like seeing females do anything in anime
Aug 22, 2015 4:11 AM

Sep 2014
People love it because of Olivier, who happens to be one of the hottest anime women ever.
Aug 22, 2015 4:11 AM

Jun 2014
This type of threads should be banned from MAL.

OT: It's the closest thing to a flawless anime with pretty much universal appeal and zero controversy. Just like I said before, the highest rated anime is not the most loved one but rather the least hated popular one, always.
AgafinAug 22, 2015 4:24 AM
Aug 22, 2015 4:12 AM

Aug 2012
here we go again..pfft.

it wouldn't be in the top anime list if it's not

But you'll still take damage!
Aug 22, 2015 4:13 AM

Jul 2015
cuz' it is
Aug 22, 2015 4:15 AM

Sep 2013
romagia said:
andpark said:

That glass girl is ???

i'd think that there are some subtleties only a female mangaka can get right, but i can't quite put my finger on it

Maybe. When people criticize Shounen manga for sexism, their criticism boils down to the mangaka being a guy.

Jan 2015
romagia said:
le shounen with an ending and no filler face
and pretty good production values and music to boot
what's not to like
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race

Sep 2013
maku21 said:

it wouldn't be in the top anime list if it's not

That's a logical fallacy, fam.
Aug 22, 2015 4:18 AM
Jun 2012
first time posting soz guys if its been done before. I just don't find it flawless at all and i'm trying to figure out why animations such as redline do horribly finacially and this stuff is loved so widely.
Aug 22, 2015 4:19 AM

Feb 2013
h3witt said:
first time posting soz guys if its been done before. I just don't find it flawless at all and i'm trying to figure out why animations such as redline do horribly finacially and this stuff is loved so widely.
despite what the name might imply, animation isn't the main attraction of anime
Aug 22, 2015 4:20 AM

Sep 2013
h3witt said:

Because Redline is a much bigger risk. FMA already has an established fanbase in the manga. While Redline was very riskly movie project.

I feel you though. I think FMA is just above average but not good or great, and it's definitely not flawless or close to it.
Aug 22, 2015 4:26 AM

Dec 2014
1 is just a number.

obscureanimefan said:
I think little girls are sexy.
Aug 22, 2015 4:27 AM
Jul 2018
not your typical shonen animu
Aug 22, 2015 4:37 AM
Jul 2018
Meh it's alright
Aug 22, 2015 4:38 AM
Jan 2013
FMAB is good but it is overrated
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Aug 22, 2015 4:44 AM

Jan 2015
Please, don't let this start a string a threads about FMA today. Yesterday was HxH and the day before that was Naruto -_-

Aug 22, 2015 4:44 AM
Mar 2014
Shounen anime have always been the ones which are most likely to appeal to a very broad audience, and while FMAB may not be considered "the best" by everyone individually, it's pretty much universally agreed upon that it's an outstandingly well-made show. (As far as I know) It's very close to the manga story, so you'll also rarely see anyone complain about how it's merely a worse version of the original material (which is something that is often criticized when it comes to popular shounen such as Naruto, One Piece or Dragonball), the production values are stunning when compared to most of its direct competitors, there are plenty of different aspects to the story so that it's likely everyone will find something that appeals to them (war drama, military complot, revenge, alchemy, immortality, religion, and even some comedy) and the story has been resolved without it ever being bloated with uninteresting filler material.

So again, it may not be your personal number one, but I think it's hard to say that it doesn't deserve the popularity that it has achieved.
Aug 22, 2015 4:45 AM

Jun 2015
Was this supposed to be bait?

-_-
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2015 4:46 AM
Jul 2018
Because it is good.
Jul 2018
oreology said:

-_-
You betcha

Jul 2013
h3witt said:
but i'm still confused why its rated so highly.

It's rated so highly because a lot of people liked it.
If you're not going to bring up points as to why it's overrated then there's no point to this discussion.
People should stop responding to shitty threads like this or they're just going to continue.
Aug 22, 2015 4:59 AM

Apr 2014
its a shounen story executed really well. i don't think its one of the best but its good.
Aug 22, 2015 5:05 AM
Mar 2011
romagia said:
Interesting. These are tropes I usually dislike. So if these are the best things I understand why I didn't like the show that much, because the rest is at most on average level...
Aug 22, 2015 5:07 AM
Jun 2012
Kruzy said:
h3witt said:
but i'm still confused why its rated so highly.

If you're not going to bring up points as to why it's overrated then there's no point to this discussion.
People should stop responding to shitty threads like this or they're just going to continue.

frankly i just find it unimaginative and generic. sadly this is the highest rated hence some people must be rating it a 10. Going into the animation industry i want to make niche stuff not just a circle with a triangle chin. This thread is more to see why works by masaaki yuasa, satoshi kon, takeshi koike and other stylised animators are not as appreciated. just a general survey to see opinions

edit: and works that are simple easy and generic are btw does anyone actually like the humor?
h3wittAug 22, 2015 5:16 AM
Aug 22, 2015 5:10 AM

Jun 2015
Charlanta said:
oreology said:

-_-
You betcha

So even bait threads are so subpar now...

C'mon people, you can do better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2015 5:15 AM
Aug 2015
fmab is alright but i don't see why it's considered one of the best in the industry
Aug 22, 2015 5:19 AM

Apr 2011
"It follows manga perfectly so it's a 10/10" - MyAnimeList since 1982
Aug 22, 2015 5:19 AM

Mar 2014
dboy13 said:
fmab is alright but i don't see why it's considered one of the best in the industry

That's right it's just an average anime...it's not a masterpiece.

Aug 22, 2015 5:21 AM

Jan 2015
Valaskjalf said:
"It follows manga perfectly so it's a 10/10" - MyAnimeList since 1982

MAL was made in 2007. Sorry I just had to.

Aug 22, 2015 5:22 AM

Aug 2015
Won't say FMAB is a masterpiece, but it's not far off from the fence. In my honest opinion, it does tackle its themes better than Psycho Pass does on its philosophy. You might want to research about Friedrich Nietzsche because the geopolitics, alchemy and characters all subtly contribute to heavy themes from this philosopher (Death of God, The Last Man, Ubermensch, eternal recurrence etc.).

It's very much the classic interplay between science and religion but with a shounen spin on it.
Aug 22, 2015 5:23 AM

Jul 2013
h3witt said:
Kruzy said:

frankly i just find it unimaginative and generic. sadly this is the highest rated hence some people must be rating it a 10. Going into the animation industry i want to make niche stuff not just a circle with a triangle chin. This thread is more to see why works by masaaki yuasa, satoshi kon, takeshi koike and other stylised animators are not as appreciated. just a general survey to see opinions

Because it's not about the visuals but about what they're showing. If you think that Yuasa, Satoshi and other animators like that are better just because they're stuff looks fancier then you're just as dumb as the people that avoid those shows because they look weird.
FMA:B is easily one of the 2 best shounen adaptations ever and easily deserves a spot among the best series made. Maybe it doesn't in your opinion but to think that it's not good at all is an exaggeration that makes you seem like an incredibly shitty troll that is if you aren't one.
Aug 22, 2015 5:28 AM

Jun 2014
h3witt said:
Kruzy said:

edit: and works that are simple easy and generic are btw does anyone actually like the humor?

Um, this is just MAL dude, why are you so dramatic? If you were talking about something like Spirited Away that won an oscar then your lamentations would make more sense.
Aug 22, 2015 5:34 AM

Feb 2013
h3witt said:
Kruzy said:

i think many would agree that the humor is the weakest part of fmab

on a side note, there are some database sites with different #1 anime
anidb - mushishi zoku
animenewsnetwork - steins;gate
anisearch - death note
Aug 22, 2015 5:35 AM

Dec 2013
These threads pop up literally everyday. At least make the name of the thread right so you don't seem like a child.
Aug 22, 2015 5:40 AM
Jun 2015
dboy13 said:
Because objectively speaking, it truly is one of, if not the, best.
Aug 22, 2015 5:41 AM
Jun 2015
blueghost_66 said:
dboy13 said:

That's right it's just an average anime...it's not a masterpiece.
Nice subjective opinion. But objectively speaking, it is a masterpiece :3

Jan 2015
Punk434says said:
dboy13 said:
>objectively
>the best

*tips fedora
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jun 2015
Lelouch_Darsi said:
FMAB is good but it is overrated

No it's not. It's right were it should be.
Aug 22, 2015 5:43 AM
Jun 2015
Karadzic said:
Punk434says said:
>objectively
>the best

*tips fedora
Stay deluded.
Aug 22, 2015 5:56 AM

Sep 2013
Punk434says said:
Karadzic said:
>objectively
>the best

*tips fedora
Stay deluded.

Are you aware of the irony here?

There is no objectivity in storytelling mediums beyond factual information (number of episodes, names of the characters, their character traits, the summary of events, etc)
Aug 22, 2015 6:12 AM
Jun 2012
Kruzy said:
h3witt said:

Because it's not about the visuals but about what they're showing. If you think that Yuasa, Satoshi and other animators like that are better just because they're stuff looks fancier then you're just as dumb as the people that avoid those shows because they look weird.
FMA:B is easily one of the 2 best shounen adaptations ever and easily deserves a spot among the best series made. Maybe it doesn't in your opinion but to think that it's not good at all is an exaggeration that makes you seem like an incredibly shitty troll that is if you aren't one.

Satoshi kon and masaaki yausa animes do have other qualities apart from fancy animations. Whats with all the angry attitude? is this how anime forums always are or do i need to make a thread on who is the sexiest moe character so we can all join in on a circle jerk.
Aug 22, 2015 6:16 AM

Jul 2013
h3witt said:
Kruzy said:

Satoshi kon and masaaki yausa animes do have other qualities apart from fancy animations.

They do but you said it in a way that just because they look fancier they're better than FMA:B.

h3witt said:
Whats with all the angry attitude? is this how anime forums always are or do i need to make a thread on who is the sexiest moe character so we can all join in on a circle jerk.

You just come off as a shitty troll especially in these days where every third post is just low level bait. I prefer discussion posts like this but you should put it in some more effort if you want people to take you seriously.
Aug 22, 2015 6:22 AM
Jul 2018
It was entertaining as fucking fuck.
Aug 22, 2015 6:27 AM
Jun 2012
Kruzy said:
h3witt said:

Satoshi kon and masaaki yausa animes do have other qualities apart from fancy animations.

They do but you said it in a way that just because they look fancier they're better than FMA:B.

h3witt said:
Whats with all the angry attitude? is this how anime forums always are or do i need to make a thread on who is the sexiest moe character so we can all join in on a circle jerk.

You just come off as a shitty troll especially in these days where every third post is just low level bait. I prefer discussion posts like this but you should put it in some more effort if you want people to take you seriously.

Sorry, started this thread before me mate wanted me to play a game of dota. I tried keeping up with it during the respawn time.

Tbh i'm suspicious that fmab has a circle jerk fan based obsessed with critiquing anime in an objective ranking system. ie 1# Fmab 2#steins gate etc. Audiences which base their opinion on what they see online and spends hours jumping from youtubes "top 10 lists" so they can see their opinion be validated by the wider consensus.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.