Forum Settings
Forums

The New Anime Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

New
Aug 21, 2015 12:41 PM

Oct 2011
Attention! Welcome, aspiring Uber-Elitist, to the Uber-Elitist Enlightenment Camp. During your stay, you will work hard to become the best Uber-Elitist you can be. Below, you will see your training regiment’s guide; watch the anime in the Enlightenment List, and refine your tastes. These are the series and films that we democratically put together in hopes of saving your soul from the damnation of a plebeian existence. Together we shall fight against ignorance and promote thoughtful discussion on the medium. Good luck, recruit. Follow the rules, and don’t take your training too hard. Dismissed!

Enlightenment Camp Rules and Procedure

Enlightenment List

Magna Charta Veritatis (Enlightenment Chart)

For full size, click here.
*NOTE 1* This list is always open for improvement; please make suggestions for additions/removals. If there's no consensus on certain titles, we'll poll it to resolve the dispute.
*NOTE 2* By posting suggestions on this thread, you claim to be a superior human. Be ready to prove it!
Enlightenment Purgatory:
Please see rules before posting.

Ducat_RevelMar 21, 2020 6:41 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 21, 2015 12:41 PM

Oct 2011
This is the new and current edition of the elist thread. A new one was desperately needed to flush out the old votes, Maegil's Gaia avatar, and to make it easier to keep track of things again. We'll be running on temporary rules for the nomination process as we begin rolling out new elitst processes over the next week.

The biggest new rule for the moment is the +1/-1. We used to only have you accompany your nomination with a short explanation for the title, but now it's required for the +1/-1 as well. We had a problem with old purgatory list where users would drop their +1 for that anime to get polled a year later and them not be around to help get it into the list. It wasn't working and we needed to change that. So please supply a short paragraph, spoiler free if possible, explanation for your +1/-1 so that we can archive your post for later reference.

Sadly due to the purgatory list being as useless as it was over time we will be resetting past votes and nominations. If you listen closely, you can hear the sound of ZetaZaku crying about Ashita no Joe and Onii-sama e. With all this said, please feel free to begin nominating again! Cheers!
lordzeruAug 21, 2015 2:15 PM
Aug 21, 2015 12:47 PM

Feb 2008
Ashita no Joe

Time to nominate another Dezaki classic, Dear Brother or ONIISAMA E. From the author of Rose of Versailles comes Rose of Versailles in school, with some lesbians here there. It's a really good melodrama and coming of age story. Nanako really matures as the story progresses, from naive helpless girl being victim to lies, to the mature and strong girl standing up to the Sorority. It also had one of the best portrayals of death. I don't think that any show captured mourning as well as Dear Brother did. Also we need some show with lesbians on the list, and it happens that Dear Brother features a story arc where Nanako is attracted to a senpai, but rather in a childish and pure way.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 21, 2015 2:06 PM

Jan 2013
+1 Dear Brother of course.
Aug 21, 2015 2:09 PM

Oct 2011
AngelsArcanum said:

lordzeru said:
The biggest new rule for the moment is the +1/-1. We used to only have you accompany your nomination with a short explanation for the title, but now it's required for the +1/-1 as well. We had a problem with old purgatory list where user would drop their +1 for that anime to get polled a year later and them not be around to help get it into the list. It wasn't working and we needed to change that. So please supply a short paragraph, spoiler free if possible, explanation for your +1/-1 so that we can archive your post for later reference.
lordzeruAug 21, 2015 2:13 PM
Aug 21, 2015 2:41 PM

May 2013
Nooooo, my 7 Heartcatch Precure votes :(

Aug 21, 2015 4:07 PM
Mar 2012
I really am hoping for any Macross show to get nominated.

Give this a 1+ for SDF Macross plus Do You Remember Love? and Frontier.

Also I would nominate Lupin III 2nd series as well.
Aug 21, 2015 4:16 PM

Dec 2007
So I will be nominating glass no Kamen (glass mask) anime again since It had a good amount of votes on the old thread.
Aug 21, 2015 4:23 PM
Dec 2013
I would like to nominate the anime Maria the Virgin Witch, a show which was a very nice surprise considering its title and some people calling it an ecchi (it totally isn't btw). This show handles and intriguing and engaging narrative, while juggling a large cast of characters fairly impressively. Every character has a purpose and understandable motivations. It handles its ideas of ethics, religion, sexuality, and morality very respectably, and shouldn't be avoided because of any of these aspects. It's also not afraid to criticize its own main characters and their ideals of what the world should be. While the romance probably could have been handled a little better, this is not, I feel, a big enough flaw to completely dock the show. (If you can't tell, I'm being fairly vague because I don't want to spoil anything, and this is a fairly short show.)

So far, at least in this year, Maria is one of the best shows I've seen. It's just unfortunate that nobody seems to watch it.
Aug 21, 2015 9:34 PM

Oct 2012
ghostreconspart said:
Well, I guess it kind of got lost in the last thread. It had enough positive votes in the other thread so I figure why not nominate Shirobako again in this thread. Its a great anime about the troubles and tribulations of making anime. Great show.
ZeroMoon said:

moichispa said:
So I will be nominating glass no Kamen (glass mask) anime again since It had a good amount of votes on the old thread.

lordzeru said:
This is the new and current edition of the elist thread. A new one was desperately needed to flush out the old votes, Maegil's Gaia avatar, and to make it easier to keep track of things again. We'll be running on temporary rules for the nomination process as we begin rolling out new elitst processes over the next week.

The biggest new rule for the moment is the +1/-1. We used to only have you accompany your nomination with a short explanation for the title, but now it's required for the +1/-1 as well. We had a problem with old purgatory list where users would drop their +1 for that anime to get polled a year later and them not be around to help get it into the list. It wasn't working and we needed to change that. So please supply a short paragraph, spoiler free if possible, explanation for your +1/-1 so that we can archive your post for later reference.

Sadly due to the purgatory list being as useless as it was over time we will be resetting past votes and nominations. If you listen closely, you can hear the sound of ZetaZaku crying about Ashita no Joe and Onii-sama e. With all this said, please feel free to begin nominating again! Cheers!
Aug 22, 2015 12:01 AM

Apr 2013
AngelsArcanum said:
ghostreconspart said:
Well, I guess it kind of got lost in the last thread. It had enough positive votes in the other thread so I figure why not nominate Shirobako again in this thread. Its a great anime about the troubles and tribulations of making anime. Great show.
ZeroMoon said:

moichispa said:

Is it that hard to read new rules.
Or are we all so blinded by our own conceited "elitist" narcissism that any option would make a proper nomination because "hey, I nominated it".

Or is it so hard to justify why a nominated show deserves to be on the enlightenment list.
4 of the 6 nominations not grounding themselves within at least a paragraph (which shouldn't be too hard to formulate - so saying that you can't formulate a response isn't exactly going to dig yourself out of a grave) just shows me that people care more for advancing an opinion than they do critically discussing it.

*Raises eyebrows*
JodyqtAug 22, 2015 12:19 AM
Aug 22, 2015 12:27 AM

Jan 2013
lordzeru said:
AngelsArcanum said:

lordzeru said:
The biggest new rule for the moment is the +1/-1. We used to only have you accompany your nomination with a short explanation for the title, but now it's required for the +1/-1 as well. We had a problem with old purgatory list where user would drop their +1 for that anime to get polled a year later and them not be around to help get it into the list. It wasn't working and we needed to change that. So please supply a short paragraph, spoiler free if possible, explanation for your +1/-1 so that we can archive your post for later reference.

Silly me, I misread that as emphasizing the requirement on reasons for the nominations since it used to be a bit slack, my bad.

Okay, to correct myself:

Dear Brother is an exceptionally written series with tons of multi-dimensional characters who undergo some fantastic development coupled with shocking plot twists, absorbing melodrama that takes the volatile histrionics of puberty and makes it feel important and personal and then begins to have its plot and characters transcend that and have these characters blossom into lovable and mature young adults dealing with heavier issues, making for a stand-out genre melodrama, a dense ensemble piece and simply an exceptionally written series definitely worthy of its place in the annals of classic anime and a potential spot on the E-list.
AngelsArcanumAug 22, 2015 12:53 AM
Aug 22, 2015 2:45 AM
Jul 2018
The_Joki said:
I would like to nominate the anime Maria the Virgin Witch, a show which was a very nice surprise considering its title and some people calling it an ecchi (it totally isn't btw). This show handles and intriguing and engaging narrative, while juggling a large cast of characters fairly impressively. Every character has a purpose and understandable motivations. It handles its ideas of ethics, religion, sexuality, and morality very respectably, and shouldn't be avoided because of any of these aspects. It's also not afraid to criticize its own main characters and their ideals of what the world should be. While the romance probably could have been handled a little better, this is not, I feel, a big enough flaw to completely dock the show. (If you can't tell, I'm being fairly vague because I don't want to spoil anything, and this is a fairly short show.)

So far, at least in this year, Maria is one of the best shows I've seen. It's just unfortunate that nobody seems to watch it.

This might sound weird but the biggest praise I've heard of it is from one of my favorite youtube channels, which is about weapons.

Definitely something that I will try to watch soon.
Aug 22, 2015 3:19 AM

Feb 2008
It was interesting how Maria had some of the better medieval battles in anime, and the show isn't even about that. I've only seen one battle so far and the physics and details were really good.

Now I'm not sure if it's e-list material based on what I've seen, but I'll give proper input once I'm done. It is one of the better shows from this year though.

Aug 22, 2015 5:05 AM

Oct 2011
AngelsArcanum said:
No problem man. Thanks for correcting the post. I'll count your vote. Chances are Zeta will force me to watch Oniisama soon, so maybe I'll be casting a +1 for it one day.
The_Joki said:
Put your nomination up in the new mentions. I'm kind of surprised this one got nominated, it'll be interesting to see where it ends up going.
Aug 22, 2015 5:09 AM

Jun 2013
I'll just repost my Garo nomination.

So, I believe I can do this now. I nominate Garo: Honoo no Kokuin. It's a great fantasy show with a strong cast and some of the best animated fights I've ever seen. It's got some amazing storytelling with episodes 12 and 18 being some of my all-time favourites, and managed to end on a very high note with an upcoming second season. The protagonist, Leon Luis, is one of the finest examples of character development in recent memory. It also seemed to be well-received over here.

Also, I'm watching Oniisama e... and it'll probably receive a +1 from me when I'm done, I've read the manga and the anime seems to be doing just as well, if not better.
Aug 22, 2015 6:37 AM

Apr 2012
I nominate Zegapain, and here's my review of it:

I also grant a +1 to Garo, for its exceptionally unique setting, diverse themes from witch hunts to corruption in the church to its fascinating take on how society views religion in general, excellent storyline and well-developed characters. It does have a problem initially in how it feels like these themes are not handled in a morally grey and ambiguous manner, as well as the show not showing its best cards til later, but its second half paid off and ended up fleshing all of the aforementioned aspects to their fullest potential.

sushiisawesomeAug 22, 2015 7:50 AM
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 22, 2015 7:03 AM

Sep 2008
+ 1 Zegapain

I also have a review of it.

I'd like to nominate Akage no Anne.

Akage no Anne demonstrates the melancholy of growing up and parenting like no other while featuring a plethora of extremely well-written, lovable characters, with some of the best character development out there. All of the characters feel real and all of the relationships are very genuine, it succeeds at characters and character interactions with ease and packs a lot of meaning and fun into even the most mundane of things. It aspires to do so much and accomplishes all of it with a great deal of it being because of its incredible sense of pacing and gradual maturing of the narrative; It starts off rather slowly and explores the characters amazingly, as the characters start to mature the show speeds up in pacing and the show matures with it. The pacing and narrative perfectly show the feeling of time flying by as you grow up, everything becoming more serious, and looking back on your childhood realizing how much has changed.
MatasAug 22, 2015 7:07 AM
Aug 22, 2015 7:28 AM

Apr 2012
Long time no see, Matas. Delighted to know that you're still around.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 22, 2015 2:11 PM

Jan 2013
sushiisawesome said:
Long time no see, Matas. Delighted to know that you're still around.

^ Good to know the other Frontier bro is alive and well.

Man, I really should get around to Akage no Anne though, it's feels like a nationalist duty at this point it seems.
Aug 22, 2015 2:36 PM

Jun 2012
AngelsArcanum said:
Man, I really should get around to Akage no Anne though, it's feels like a nationalist duty at this point it seems.

It shouldn't be, Anne is probably not as amazing as many like to say ;)
Aug 22, 2015 4:01 PM

Aug 2007
I like to Nominate Heidi, or http://myanimelist.net/anime/2225/Alps_no_Shoujo_Heidi

Along with the likes of Remi, or Akage no Anne, Heidi is one of the most enjoyable historical/SoL/coming of age I've seen yet. Highly influential during it's run in the 70s, it succeeds what a lot of shows try so hard to do but fail. Heidi accomplishes this with little effort on its part, just natural ability; to provide an entertaining, moving story with excellent characters to boot. The pacing is awesome, even when the premise of an episode is about tending to goats in the mountains, it never feels dull or boring.

It never feels too melodramatic or dull, it doesn't have great ambitions of exploring life and the universe, nor does it provide a psychological thrill, it just provides some of the most memorable characters in anime.

Aug 22, 2015 9:40 PM

Jan 2013
Sweet! Now that the polls are open again, I can finally nominate Ginga Nagareboshi Gin:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/589/Ginga_Nagareboshi_Gin

It's a fairly unconventional '80s shonen series that focuses on animals (in this case, wild dogs) rather than people. The main character is a Shiba inu pup named Gin, who leaves his owners to join a large pack of runaway dogs who are on the hunt for Akakabuto, a giant demonic bear who terrorizes the region of Ouu. The series is kind of like Watership Down in that it's rather dark and violent for a story about a group of animals, but it also manages to be rather mature in its storytelling and, often times, even heartwarming. The characters are all quite likeable, and there's some great action in there too (although some of the animation hasn't aged well). It's also very engaging watching Gin grow from a meek and inexperienced puppy to a capable fighter and leader, and seeing all those dogs from throughout the region banding together into an army of sorts is nothing short of awesome.

While I wouldn't call it perfect, GNG is still a very solid anime that I very much recommend, and I would love to see it get a spot on the E-List. The whole series is up on YouTube, so go check it out if you haven't already (the fansubs for the first couple episodes are pretty crappy, but they do get better overtime, and shouldn't get in the way of you're understanding/enjoyment of the show).
Nei-sanAug 22, 2015 9:46 PM
Aug 22, 2015 9:53 PM

Sep 2012
I still don't understand why Colorful was taken off.
Aug 22, 2015 10:10 PM

Apr 2012
Colorful was originally included in the list without a poll. After a while people began to question its placement on the list, so we did a repoll of colorful . As a person who hasn't watched it, it was interesting to read the voters' reasons for why it wasn't good enough.
Aug 22, 2015 10:42 PM

Apr 2013
Valkqt said:
AngelsArcanum said:

It shouldn't be, Anne is probably not as amazing as many like to say ;)
Neither is Aria. :D
Aug 22, 2015 11:04 PM

Sep 2012
Exinqt said:
it was interesting to read the voters' reasons for why it wasn't good enough.
Same.
Aug 22, 2015 11:06 PM
Jul 2018
I want Wandering Son to be removed from the list, even to be put on relations due to how awful it butchers the manga and has such a trans-phobic message. Honestly I feel that people who like it missed the entire point of the anime and just said "this show has tranny so it's so progessive" when it outright says that transgenderism and gender dysphoria is does not exist/"just a phase" that people go through instead of it actually being a life threatening and serious issue. It says that there's either people born boys or girls and you stay the way you are born unless you get SRS surgery.

removed-userAug 23, 2015 1:22 AM
Aug 23, 2015 12:12 AM

Apr 2012
An extremely firm -1 to Heidi.

Please note that I dislike Heidi both in novel and in anime format, and yes I have read the novel several times as a child and even then disliked it immensely.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 23, 2015 4:00 AM

Feb 2008
An extremely firm +1 to Heidi

Heidi is a great example that Isao Takahata can do TV shows as well (along with Anne I need to see yet, hopefully soon so I can +1). WMT is known for its good stories and characters, and Heidi's a good example of that. Unlike some other WMT shows though, Heidi is more on the lighter side, as it doesn't have much drama or a big conflict, aside from Heidi being taken to Frankfurt. It was mostly about Heidi's life in the mountains and Frankfurt, and how her big heart changed people around her (her grandfather and Clara). It's a story most Europeans have experienced as children, and it's really interesting seeing it through adult eyes, and understanding grandfather's or Rottenmeier's troubles. As a child I always saw Rottenmeier as some bad witch, but you know she's a good person doing everything for Clara's good.

Please note that I grew up with Heidi both in novel, film and anime format, and yes I have seen various Heidi adaptations several times as a child and this was probably the best adaptation of the novel.
-----
I'll also +1 Ginga Nagareboshi Gin

It's a manly show where a young character and his friends gather other strong characters to kill the murderer of Gin's father. The catch is, it's with dogs. Dogs gathering other dogs to murder a bear that's gotten to dangerous even to humans. The show is pretty much Hokuto no Ken or JoJo with dogs. One of the dogs even looks like Lassie, so imagine Lassie fighting a huge bear. It looks like some QUALITY stuff, but is actually a really good shounen series. And while the show is really short, it adapts the entire main story without ever feeling rushed.
----
Iroald said:
Also, I'm watching Oniisama e... and it'll probably receive a +1 from me when I'm done, I've read the manga and the anime seems to be doing just as well, if not better.

Seeing that you really liked the manga, you will love the show, as it only builds up on it and add more depth. I need to get to Garo eventually, but if it's as good as the TV show, it will get a +1 vote from me.

Aug 23, 2015 4:32 AM

Jan 2013
To reiterate my vote on Ginga Nagareboshi Gin (with re-nominations happening and people all trying to bring their votes back in, it almost feels like negative scores seem like they're out for blood, but meh, just trying to get my input in): -1

Reason:

The series has a lot of heart and raw emotional power with loose, more primal politics in systems apart from regular societal structures a la Fist of the North Star but with dog packs, a bunch of great characters and more but there's a lot of problems to it I find.

There's a big plot hole I noted which I can't seem to recall (I think it involved a character's survival), a fair bit of cop-outs concerning character deaths and such, some thematic and plot repetition, the binary narratives of human and wolves which never really come together to give you a full picture, a kind of rushed finale with that new superpower element teased and just bits of weird absurdity or simplicity I find.

A solid series with a sweet opening I could recommend to some, but I don't think it's great.

In short: odds and ends of a series with some uncommon dramatic heft, but has some repetition, lack of balance in perspectives and narrative and some strange plot devices that dampen it.

Neane93 said:
I want Wandering Son to be removed from the list, even to be put on relations due to how awful it butchers the manga and has such a trans-phobic message. Honestly I feel that people who like it missed the entire point of the anime and just said "this show has tranny so it's so progessive" when it outright says that transgenderism and gender dysphoria is does not exist/"just a phase" that people go through instead of it actually being a life threatening and serious issue. It says that there's either people born boys or girls and you stay the way you are born unless you get SRS surgery.

One time I went to a party where some rather snobbish PC person was ragging on how most fiction is terrible and pretty much all of anime is garbage and have dated values yadda yadda, and someone tried to make a case for Wandering Son but the other guy argued it wasn't doing such and such right which kind of irked me at the time because it seemed rather tangential and nitpicky (I didn't want to get involved at all though, seemed like a hassle), although I will say the guy who liked Wandering Son wasn't making a great counter-point and thorough defence, and now seeing you tear the anime apart makes that argument look even more one-sided haha.
AngelsArcanumAug 23, 2015 4:43 AM
Aug 23, 2015 4:42 AM

Apr 2012
AngelsArcanum said:
with re-nominations happening and people all trying to bring their votes back in, it almost feels like negative scores seem like they're out for blood

I think it's more of a case where since you have to give a paragraph before submitting a vote, it feels like we're already polling it.

Which isn't a bad thing, just a bit weird. It does mean that the people who give their votes are more likely to hang around and it makes it easier to participate in the poll, since they already gave a short version of their answer in the poll (and anyone who doesn't bother voting here won't bother voting in the poll, and as such are not relevant).

Though I still think it should be 5 votes total (considering how easy it makes it to actually participate) rather than 8, but eh.
It works perfectly fine as a voting system, and it certainly is a lot more informative rather than simply upvoting or downvoting.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 23, 2015 8:38 AM

Apr 2013
I'll make this quick.

+1 Onii-sama E...

One thing that struck me in particular with Onii-sama E... was how the whole thing stood as an allegory for the French Revolution, but what was even more surprising was how the show managed to pull it off. In some sense the melodrama in the beginning was turned on its head to really substantiate and make the impact of the series far more poignant, and it worked to great effect. Particularly in regards to how the whole series was really personalized through the main character and her correspondence - technically with her 'brother' but it felt more orientated to the audience I felt, which was a stroke of genius.
Another impressive element to this series is how suffocating the drama is, usually when such drama is heaped upon one after another in such a manner, maintaining steam for an entire series (let alone a 39 episode series) turns into a strenuous task but here the drama doesn't get tiresome instead it feels fresh and that is because of the highly conscious understanding of the concepts that it is dealing with.
I've heard many criticisms of this show of the past (not necessarily from people in here) but I'll address them anyway, the show's implementation of elements such as suicide, drug-abuse and on many occasions, plain angsty drama was on numerous occasions incredibly heavy-handed and was not the most effective method in getting the message across. I thoroughly disagree - if anything, it was an element to the series that was of the utmost importance - to front an idea that this was just their to overcompensate for some kind of lack of depth is plain off the mark, what it really stands for is the complete degeneration of the elements of the old system and that they had far out-lasted their progressive stage exhibiting the complete and utter paranoia and psychological demise of those who represent it. There is a reason why the central character Nanako is the most level-headed in the cast and doesn't engage in pathological behaviour as the large majority of the rest of the cast does and identifies as that layer who pushes forward away from the shenanigans of the previous order
This stands next to other important characters such as Mariko who (in contrast with her relationship to her father as a pornographic writer) is a perversion of those who were less privileged than those in the sorority, and were, inclined to get a bigger piece of the pie (this can be extended to a lot of the other characters) but Nanako stands as a particular representative of that layer of people.
This is just one part of many elements in the show that I greatly admire but is also the one that I felt I needed to address just to clarify with those who fail to miss the point, and to some extent articulate the bigger picture for why I believe this to be a truly great series deserving of the title of an anime classic and one that I would whole-heartedly recommend to anyone.
Aug 23, 2015 1:34 PM

Sep 2014
I'd like to nominate Ashita no Joe (both seasons) but...for real

AnJ was one of the first examples of what anime as a medium could do: a powerful story with strong drama, all around dinamic characters and packed with action scenes. I think that the characters are what make the show amazing, specially Yabuki. They are fully developed and fleshed-out with multi dimensional personalities and filled with charisma. Truth be told, the pacing is HORRIBLE but overall the story is great: it is something different to everything that came before, at it's best moments is absolutely marvelous and it has one of the best finales in the history of anime. On a side nothe, nobody can deny AnJ's influence in the medium, as one of the first anime "classics". Also, even after 40 years, AnJ is a better show in terms of characterization and script than most serie so yeah...I think it should be in the list

Also, could someone update the Magna Charta?
Aug 23, 2015 2:57 PM

Apr 2012
guywholikesanime said:
On a side nothe, nobody can deny AnJ's influence in the medium, as one of the first anime "classics".

I agree with every last word you said except this one. If anime series which are classics should be on the list...then we'd have some pretty bad entries, to say the least.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 23, 2015 3:27 PM

Oct 2010
Neane93 said:

I thought that the idea of the anime was to capture a specific moment in the characters' lives, not to make judgements on whether the direction they are going through is right or wrong, a phase or permanent. Not sure where do you find the trans-phobic message because I even struggle to find an actual message or agenda for starters.
jal90Aug 23, 2015 3:34 PM
Aug 23, 2015 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
jal90 said:
Neane93 said:

I thought that the idea of the anime was to capture a specific moment in the characters' lives, not to make judgements on whether the direction they are going through is right or wrong, a phase or permanent. Not sure where do you find the trans-phobic message because I even struggle to find an actual message or agenda for starters.

The anime tries its hardest to prove to the kids that you are what you're born and in the end they accept it and not only that, the ending also gives the impression that they used "crossdressing" as a means of expressing themselves instead of being transgendered. It's just like what that "rightwing" John Hopkins guy said on Fox News when Oregon made it so that 15 yr olds can transition without their parent's consent, it's just a phrase that people go through.
removed-userAug 23, 2015 5:17 PM
Aug 24, 2015 2:38 AM

Feb 2008
The ending didn't give me that impression. Both characters stay true to their beliefs and still want to change genders. I really don't know where you got these messages, since I didn't see it that way.It wasn't a really good show, but I wouldn't go that far to say it was offending. But then again, I'm cis straight able bodied man, so I can't relate or get offended by this.

Aug 24, 2015 3:57 AM

Oct 2010
Neane93 said:
jal90 said:

The anime tries its hardest to prove to the kids that you are what you're born and in the end they accept it and not only that, the ending also gives the impression that they used "crossdressing" as a means of expressing themselves instead of being transgendered. It's just like what that "rightwing" John Hopkins guy said on Fox News when Oregon made it so that 15 yr olds can transition without their parent's consent, it's just a phrase that people go through.

As said, I don't see where you get this message. The ending of the anime is not even conclusive, in the same way the beginning is not foundation. It is obvious through the narrative that the anime deals with an issue that is rooted in a much deeper background than the one is shown, and that will have implications that are way more intricate than the ones shown in the story, simply because it's a specific and localized moment in their lives. And as mentioned by ZetaZaku the issue of genre identity is stated, and I'd say very straightforwardly. It is even directly mentioned by the characters in dialogue, a few times.
jal90Aug 24, 2015 4:04 AM
Aug 24, 2015 4:51 AM

Apr 2012
Neane93 said:

You sure you're not confusing this show with Mahouka?
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 24, 2015 6:35 AM

Sep 2014
I say we should include Glasslip in the list just because
Aug 24, 2015 7:26 AM

Oct 2011
guywholikesanime said:
Also, could someone update the Magna Charta?

We do have someone who will update it sometime this week, hopefully. It'll get updated soon.

AngelsArcanum said:
To reiterate my vote on Ginga Nagareboshi Gin (with re-nominations happening and people all trying to bring their votes back in, it almost feels like negative scores seem like they're out for blood, but meh, just trying to get my input in): -1

This is the point of the new rule. The voting threads were meant to have discussion in them, but that never really happened and discussion in the club seemed to die a lot. I thought this would be a great way to kick off some real discussions, and it seems to have worked quite well. Thanks everyone for keeping the thread bait and personal attack free so far!
Aug 24, 2015 7:52 AM

Oct 2010
Now that we are at it, and despite the expectations didn't seem very good for the show in the previous thread, I'd like to rescue the nomination for Sora no Woto (I don't know who nominated it in the first place, though). If anything, because it is bound to create some nice and worthy discussion that was probably restricted by the less demanding standards the previous enlightenment camp had. Since I talked quite a lot about the show (enthusiastic fanboyism and such), I'll just quote two little things I wrote, one in this club and the other in AD, for this matter:

And also, +1 to Akage no Anne. And another quote, this time from AD as well. I'm not into rephrasing today:

jal90 said:
Akage no Anne is a wonderful instance of coming of age storytelling, quietly developing through 50 episodes the physical, mental and moral growth of a little girl to adulthood. It is a naturalistic, yet undeniably poetic look into the life and relationships of Anne, a progressive story that follows and delves into the psyche and experiences of a character and is truly fascinating in the observation of her routine, properly embellished by some nice and detailed background art that gives life and breath to the scenarios where this simple yet endlessly charming story takes part. An essential title of slice of life anime.
jal90Aug 24, 2015 8:01 AM
Aug 24, 2015 8:04 AM

Apr 2013
Quick question:
who did the -1 vote for AnJ - I can't find anyone who did - must be a typo
Aug 24, 2015 8:23 AM

Apr 2013
Also
I would like to nominate "Ie Naki Ko" for the enlightenment list.

First off, I'm of the mentality that film and books are of incredible importance to human beings, important in the sense that we are more knowledgeable of the experiences of generations past through some kind of manuscript. The beauty of fiction over non-fiction, is that whilst non-fiction takes a very objective stance on the whole ordeal and more often than not, keeps things scientific in its approach. Fiction can utilize elements from non-fiction and personalize it and make a story of the human quality to this reality.
I begin my explanation for why I believe this show to be enlightening with this because I believe that one will learn more about the social conditions that the peasantry faced in 19th century France from watching "Ie Naki Ko" than they would watching a documentary on the same subject matter.
There is no far off gaze here, everything is made very personal and for good reason. I won't say much on the actual content, that other than some weak episodes towards the end of the series I have almost no complaints (if I was to be incredibly nitpicky I would say our protagonist may have a bit too much of a penchant for attracting tragedy - but that would be to detract entirely from the point of the series). I will make a comment though on the great writing, particularly for the first 3/4 of the series. Where every outcome was simply inevitable within the framework that the story had created. Every event portrayed here makes a razor sharp comment on authority, the law and justice system and everything else that that entails.
Ie Naki Ko is one of the best anime ever made, no question, and deserves to be on the enlightenment list.
Aug 24, 2015 8:33 AM

Sep 2011
Neane93 said:

I also have to chime in and say i have no clue where you could get this message, the series never once tries to say its just a phase for either of the 2 trans characters but rather shows the people around them trying to tell the characters such but them moving through it. And as others have said its only a small part of their lives specirfically at the moment of their life where they start to mature past the kids they were before. This statement becomes even more unfounded if you read the manga since

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 25, 2015 3:56 PM
Jul 2018
ZetaZaku said:
The ending didn't give me that impression. Both characters stay true to their beliefs and still want to change genders. I really don't know where you got these messages, since I didn't see it that way.It wasn't a really good show, but I wouldn't go that far to say it was offending. But then again, I'm cis straight able bodied man, so I can't relate or get offended by this.

Well they changed the scene of when nitori's voice changes, in the manga he hates how it happened but in the anime he's ok with it happening. Also in the ending he was at peace with how his body was turning male, and the way the anime dealt with him coming to terms with his body changing (plus that crossdressing in the room scene) made it seem like to me that it was saying that him coming to terms with how his body was changing and losing his gender dysphoria made him a more mature person.
Aug 25, 2015 5:38 PM

Oct 2010
Neane93 said:
ZetaZaku said:

Well they changed the scene of when nitori's voice changes, in the manga he hates how it happened but in the anime he's ok with it happening. Also in the ending he was at peace with how his body was turning male, and the way the anime dealt with him coming to terms with his body changing (plus that crossdressing in the room scene) made it seem like to me that it was saying that him coming to terms with how his body was changing and losing his gender dysphoria made him a more mature person.

Didn't this burst of "acceptation" happen under the certainty that they will be able to decide about their own bodies and identities eventually? I believe there was talk about sex change operation when they become adults, but can't be sure about that right now.

Anyway what I interpreted there was precisely the contrary, that no matter what puberty did to them that wouldn't change their identity, how they feel in the inside and such. I believe that Nitori still wants to become a girl after his voice change, was there something in the narrative that pointed at the contrary?
Aug 25, 2015 8:12 PM
Jul 2018
jal90 said:
Neane93 said:

Didn't this burst of "acceptation" happen under the certainty that they will be able to decide about their own bodies and identities eventually? I believe there was talk about sex change operation when they become adults, but can't be sure about that right now.

Anyway what I interpreted there was precisely the contrary, that no matter what puberty did to them that wouldn't change their identity, how they feel in the inside and such. I believe that Nitori still wants to become a girl after his voice change, was there something in the narrative that pointed at the contrary?

I don't know if it was done as a taunt or something, but Nitori didn't reply back so no to you talking about the sex change.

was there something in the narrative that pointed at the contrary?

The final episode title Forever a Wandering Son, Nitori smiling when his voice changed despite us the viewers being told that he is a she for 10 episodes. And him saying "that's not right" when he could have made a wish to become a girl are the biggest in the ending.
removed-userAug 26, 2015 2:34 AM
Aug 26, 2015 3:49 AM

Feb 2008
Neane93 said:
And him saying "that's not right" when he could have made a wish to become a girl are the biggest in the ending.

I thought that was more along the lines of wishing the best for friends instead of having a selfish wish.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.