Forums

The removal of works by Yoshihiro Tatsumi

New
Aug 18, 2015 4:10 AM

May 2015
Removed:

Abandon the Old in Tokyo (9481) - English release only
Good-Bye (9480) - English release only

I'm sure there are others as well, but those are the two that I own and have read.

These collections by Drawn & Quarterly include, as far as I know, the only English translations of many of the author's short stories, which have been originally released in various magazines in Japan in the 60s and 70s.

The removal would make sense if these stories were included in other collections, but for the most part they have not been. Furthermore, I don't think that the majority of these stories are even included in any of the Japanese collections of the author's works listed on this site under the author's name.

I find it strange that "English release only" would be an issue in this situation, since adding individual short stories released in random magazines throughout the years is far more clearly against the DB guidelines.
Aug 18, 2015 6:25 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I guess this rule has changed but I though these would still count. I see A Drunken Dream was also removed. But I looked at the rules and I don't see it stated that English only releases don't count. I thought when there was a significantly different release with the same materials it would still count in the DB. It is a real shame that has changed.
Jul 7, 2016 2:12 PM

Oct 2012
I just finished reading Abandon the Old in Tokyo and am about to start Good-bye. I don't quite understand why they were removed from the database. Not wanting to come off as rude but why are English-only releases excluded when the composition of the compilation is different from any other pre-existing collection of Tatsumi's work. There are even chapters from this collection that are not included in other collections.

I want to be able to add this to my list as it is part of manga history. Tatsumi is a legend and a revolutionary figure for manga so I'd like to be able to show that I've read his works. There are no English translations for Daihakken or its sequel. I won't be able to read those collections. But Good-bye and Abandon... are works that I can read and it'd be a shame if anyone else who has or wants to read them cannot add them to their lists.
Oct 28, 2016 12:30 PM
Nov 2008
These two collections should definitely be in the database, by any rules or standards.
May 6, 2018 2:48 AM
Nov 2015
It might be an old topic but I want to say the same thing, why can't there be these english versions?
There is also another Tatsumi's work that was published in Singapore: Midnight's Fishermen. Is there any chance that it will be added? Or can some one tell me in which japanese collection I can find the chapters?
Sep 16, 2018 3:35 AM

Aug 2013
There's a similar issue with Junji Ito's works. Shiver which was released by Viz last year has different short stories published and collected in different Japanese anthologies. So I can't add all those short stories to my read list.
Sep 16, 2018 4:20 AM

Aug 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
I just finished reading Abandon the Old in Tokyo and am about to start Good-bye. I don't quite understand why they were removed from the database. Not wanting to come off as rude but why are English-only releases excluded when the composition of the compilation is different from any other pre-existing collection of Tatsumi's work. There are even chapters from this collection that are not included in other collections.

I want to be able to add this to my list as it is part of manga history. Tatsumi is a legend and a revolutionary figure for manga so I'd like to be able to show that I've read his works. There are no English translations for Daihakken or its sequel. I won't be able to read those collections. But Good-bye and Abandon... are works that I can read and it'd be a shame if anyone else who has or wants to read them cannot add them to their lists.

Just a heads up, if you really want to document that you read the book I recommend leagueofcomicgeeks.com

Essentially as close to a myanimelist/mymangalist for western comic book fans, it accepts all graphic novel submissions. I've added a bunch of manga there myself. Here's my read list https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/profile/t3d/read-list#

Feb 24, 2019 5:50 AM

Mar 2013
Can we fix this problem already? People like me use the feature to track their backlog.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Feb 25, 2019 6:28 AM

May 2009
I did a bit of research and those two works are included here: https://myanimelist.net/manga/46626/Daihakken
Mar 3, 2019 1:12 PM

Mar 2013
Arashi89 said:
I did a bit of research and those two works are included here: https://myanimelist.net/manga/46626/Daihakken

Only some of the stories from either.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7677 by JohnnyNumbuh28 »»
Apr 13, 1:25 AM

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

127 by Una_Sama89 »»
Apr 11, 5:52 AM

» Dungeon Defense - Novel (Korean)

Netori - Dec 20, 2017

8 by Souhail_fl »»
Apr 10, 5:01 PM

» Gosick sequel novels (New Continent - Red/Blue/Pink/Green) still pending for approval after many years

847AM - Apr 7

0 by 847AM »»
Apr 7, 10:41 AM

» ADD MANHWA - TOP TIER PROVIDENCE

Marcrof - Jan 9

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 4, 7:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.