Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 16, 2015 2:12 PM

Oct 2007
It would be nice if you could comment on featured articles. I keep reading them and scrolling down to read the comments before I realize there aren't any.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
_Ghost_Apr 20, 2016 4:35 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 16, 2015 3:44 PM

Mar 2010
Yeah being able to comment would be cool.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 16, 2015 10:13 PM

Mar 2013
People actually use the featured articles page?

I was pretty much permanently repelled away the first time I checked it and seen how horrible it is. Though yeah I see little point of it existing if people cannot even comment on the articles.
Aug 16, 2015 10:17 PM

Jan 2009
im against it simply because it will trigger a lot of flame wars, the forums are enough, i think its allowed you make a thread about a featured article anyway
Aug 16, 2015 10:20 PM

Mar 2013
What I'm wondering is how does this system work / how does one get up there:
http://myanimelist.net/featured/columnist
Aug 16, 2015 10:22 PM

May 2013
Subpyro said:
People actually use the featured articles page?

I was pretty much permanently repelled away the first time I checked it and seen how horrible it is. Though yeah I see little point of it existing if people cannot even comment on the articles.

There's at least a little new thing learned from the interviews.
Aug 16, 2015 10:26 PM

Mar 2013
FlameWingman21 said:

Might as well give us the option to filter everything else. Interviews might sound nice and having them stockpiled so you check whichever looks interesting would be good. But other trash overflowing it all is just a turn-off from checking the page at all.
Aug 16, 2015 10:28 PM

Jan 2009
Subpyro said:

i know that GuardianEnzo is a popular anime blogger and looking at the others websites they are anime bloggers as well, so Xinil may have recruited them its gonna be good if they are payed base on the ads revenue their articles provide
Aug 16, 2015 10:30 PM

Mar 2013
j0x said:
i know that GuardianEnzo is a popular anime blogger and looking at the others websites they are anime bloggers as well, so Xinil may have recruited them its gonna be good if they are payed base on the ads revenue their articles provide

I see. Your idea makes it sound as a reflection of Batoto, though I more enjoy reading manga scanlations than some blogs. But ah well, if some people are into that, I guess...

Though a filter for the type of articles would still be nice.
Aug 16, 2015 10:32 PM

May 2013
Subpyro said:
FlameWingman21 said:

Might as well give us the option to filter everything else. Interviews might sound nice and having them stockpiled so you check whichever looks interesting would be good. But other trash overflowing it all is just a turn-off from checking the page at all.

Yeah, it would be nice indeed. The page is in a mess right now.
Aug 16, 2015 10:37 PM

Nov 2013
Since most of the articles are contain mostly about Naruto, Attack on Titans or Shigatsu. I'm somewhat against it.
DannyTheDonkeyAug 16, 2015 10:43 PM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Aug 17, 2015 1:34 AM

Oct 2009
Subpyro said:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1408446

Subpyro said:
Might as well give us the option to filter everything else.

This maybe: http://myanimelist.net/featured/tag/industry
Aug 17, 2015 4:52 AM

May 2013
Oh? Didn't notice industry tag is only for interviews.
Aug 17, 2015 8:02 PM

Feb 2013
I never even knew that was there... and I'm never going back. BEWARE OF SPOILERS!

If you want a comments section, I have no reason to be against it.
Oct 25, 2015 7:03 PM

Jul 2012
AFAIK, there aren't threads for them. I'd like some too!
Oct 25, 2015 7:11 PM

Jun 2014
Too many hate comments? A lot of the times I'll see a ton of negative comments on the author's profile.
Oct 25, 2015 7:14 PM

Apr 2011
I want this too so I can shit on them tell them how interesting it was.
Oct 25, 2015 7:34 PM

Jul 2014
Niddy said:
I want this too so I can shit on them tell them how interesting it was.
Jerkhov said:
Too many hate comments? A lot of the times I'll see a ton of negative comments on the author's profile.
+1

Seriously, it's all bait for flamewars for the writers. Basically they get to have their blogs as articles on the front page and having the comments disabled. Hell they should just do away with "featured articles", news board covers it all.
Oct 25, 2015 8:03 PM

Jun 2010
Why?
Because this site's administration can't even implement a new feature, or for that matter fix an existing one, properly.
Saying that comments are disable to avoid "flaming" is ridiculous. They're getting paid for it and most of them come from popular anime blogs. If they can't handle MAL-tier criticism, might as well change jobs.

Reading some of these "articles" and not being able to comment on them is just enfuriating.
You might say: "well then just filter the bad ones out"
Heh, wish I could. As it is, we can't even filter by author.

@Edit: grammar.
xbobxOct 25, 2015 8:09 PM
Oct 25, 2015 8:04 PM

Jul 2012
They're getting paid for it
Wait what?
Oct 25, 2015 8:08 PM

Jun 2010
mayukachan said:
They're getting paid for it
Wait what?

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1408446&show=200#msg42701494
Yeah. Someone actually got paid to write stuff like "My favorite Naruto scenes".
Oct 25, 2015 8:10 PM

Jul 2012
xbobx said:
mayukachan said:
Wait what?

Yeah. Someone actually got paid to write stuff like "My favorite Naruto scenes".
Holy fucking shit. I want in.
Oct 25, 2015 8:11 PM

Apr 2011
xbobx said:
mayukachan said:
Wait what?

lmfao how the mighty have fallen
Oct 25, 2015 9:23 PM

Nov 2014
xbobx said:
mayukachan said:
Wait what?
What's next? Getting paid for reviews and recommendations?

Oct 26, 2015 4:33 PM

Mar 2010
Yeah I would like to comment on the articles as well. I liked one of them and wanted to comment but there was no area for it..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 27, 2015 4:41 PM

Jun 2008
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ljaesch1
This writer reposts all her articles in blogs and asks for feedback.
Oct 27, 2015 9:46 PM

May 2013
Actually comment feature would benefit MAL more than not. They could at least know which writers should be sacked. They are wasting their money for too many horribly-written articles at the moment.
Mar 10, 2016 9:23 AM

Jun 2014
i suggest that MAL added a comment section on articles so the people can express their reaction to that articles
Mar 10, 2016 9:47 AM
Mar 2015
And who will moderate these comments?
Mar 10, 2016 12:11 PM

Jun 2014
Nashetania said:

IMO, just like in youtube for ex. it's not a real thread or post, just comment with like or dislike. i think the writer can become the moderator for his/her own articles
Mar 30, 2016 2:19 PM

Mar 2011
I agree, writing articles without being able to interact with other users and giving your opinion is boring ...

Nashetania said:

Someone who will be responsible of articles for example, or the writer have to report to that someone when there'll problems.
Mar 31, 2016 1:21 AM
Mar 2015
imn7c5 said:
I agree, writing articles without being able to interact with other users and giving your opinion is boring ...

Nashetania said:

Someone who will be responsible of articles for example, or the writer have to report to that someone when there'll problems.

Columnists don’t write for that website for free; extra work implies extra money.
Mar 31, 2016 2:49 AM

Jan 2012
Nah it will only add more flame wars and will turn into a shit storm. , if u wanna discuss something just pm the writer .

but who know the site is under development , maybe a planned feature .

Mar 31, 2016 5:53 AM

Aug 2014
Nashetania said:
imn7c5 said:

Columnists don’t write for that website for free; extra work implies extra money.

People actually get paid for these Buzzfeed level articles?
Mar 31, 2016 5:57 AM

Oct 2014
Personally, I do not believe that the comment section will really result in anything but negative comments. I have seen writers receiving praise on their comment walls, which may or may not be sufficient.

I do not think they are, but the existence of a featured articles club which I believe (bias as I may be) to be superior in almost every way to the established site receives few actual comments, even though most people have only good things to say about the writers in general.

People always ask for certain things, but when it comes to actually utilizing them, it becomes a different story.
Mar 31, 2016 6:07 AM

Aug 2014
masterofgo said:
Personally, I do not believe that the comment section will really result in anything but negative comments. I have seen writers receiving praise on their comment walls, which may or may not be sufficient.

I do not think they are, but the existence of a featured articles club which I believe (bias as I may be) to be superior in almost every way to the established site receives few actual comments, even though most people have only good things to say about the writers in general.

People always ask for certain things, but when it comes to actually utilizing them, it becomes a different story.

Comments shouldn't exist just to pamper writer's ego, if negativity is so obvious there must be something wrong with the articles. If people actually discuss the article there shouldn't be a problem or much of a need for strict moderation. Straight up shitting on people is not great either but MAL guidelines should cover that under "Trolling, abuse and/or harassment will not be tolerated.". I expect people would get motivated by not wanting to get banned.

Also while that's a good idea for a club it's not exactly superior since it just adds obstacles on the way to discussion and requires people to attach themselves to a community. Not to mention given the amount of articles navigation will probably become an issue.
Mar 31, 2016 6:33 AM

Oct 2014
Drumrug said:
masterofgo said:

Comments shouldn't exist just to pamper writer's ego, if negativity is so obvious there must be something wrong with the articles. If people actually discuss the article there shouldn't be a problem or much of a need for strict moderation. Straight up shitting on people is not great either but MAL guidelines should cover that under "Trolling, abuse and/or harassment will not be tolerated.". I expect people would get motivated by not wanting to get banned.

Also while that's a good idea for a club it's not exactly superior since it just adds obstacles on the way to discussion and requires people to attach themselves to a community. Not to mention given the amount of articles navigation will probably become an issue.
First and foremost, no, comments should not exist to pamper ego, but I do not see any reason to suggest that there would be anything constructive about a comment section, specifically because there has been no evidence to support that. Second, there has already been a trend of people responding to writer's on their walls, and none of the comments I have read are within the spirit of discussion.

Third, you need not speak in hypotheticals. A club already exists, which is where I am drawing my conclusions from. Even a club which has featured more quality content than what is currently present on the featured page does not receive a substantial amount of comments, even though the general response has been overwhelmingly positive (whether it be private or otherwise).

I do not understand where you can draw any conclusion that a club "just adds obstacles on the way to discussion" because I see no logical reason for that. We are already attached to a community, so a club and the official articles section are not mutually exclusive, and navigation on the featured articles page is limited to just the most recent content, so the same problem exists there as well.

My ultimate point here is that while a comment section seems like a necessity, I think the MAL community in general has shown that even when they want things, they do not use them when they are allowed to have it, or end up using alternatives that seem to work just fine.
Mar 31, 2016 7:27 AM

Aug 2014
@masterofgo

I do not see any reason to suggest that there would be anything constructive about a comment section

I'm not suggesting it will be filled with helpful criticism, insightful additions or anything like that. I'm just saying that negativity is not always a bad thing and it's rather blurry as to what people mark as negative. Critique can be harsh, someone will probably be a dick and just say article sucks but there's still room for actually discussing thing, there are already loads of sites based around articles that let people comment whatever which occasionally results in good arguments.

Second, there has already been a trend of people responding to writer's on their walls, and none of the comments I have read are within the spirit of discussion.

I've noticed that too but there are few things I don't like about that. First one is that sort of communication is a bit personal since people have to talk to author directly, that's probably I presume most of comments are just compliments or very light jabs at worst. Second is that most discussions on any articles ever (outside of blogs) are usually aimed at the community and not the author. Author usually already expresses his opinions and why he has it in the article itself so it's usually useless to discuss it with them.

Third, you need not speak in hypotheticals. A club already exists, which is where I am drawing my conclusions from. Even a club which has featured more quality content than what is currently present on the featured page does not receive a substantial amount of comments

Sorry, I somehow overlooked that. I saw some pretty good articles but unless I'm missing something there are only 168 people there to discuss the articles so it only seems natural there aren't many comments, not everyone is going to have something to add or confront.

I do not understand where you can draw any conclusion that a club "just adds obstacles on the way to discussion" because I see no logical reason for that.

My reasoning is that: 1) It's easier to just click article, read it and leave a comment instead of going to the club and then going into a thread. 2) Unless the club is huge there is usually already a community here, people will have some sort of bonds, positive or negative. It's much more personal than throwing out a comment in a dedicated section for anyone else to see.

navigation on the featured articles page is limited to just the most recent content, so the same problem exists there as well.

Fair point, there are probably ways to work around what my problem with this stuff is but in general it's not very convenient when outside of stickies threads usually go by bump order instead of being sorted chronologically.
Apr 2, 2016 9:52 PM

Oct 2014
masterofgo said:

First and foremost, no, comments should not exist to pamper ego, but I do not see any reason to suggest that there would be anything constructive about a comment section, specifically because there has been no evidence to support that. Second, there has already been a trend of people responding to writer's on their walls, and none of the comments I have read are within the spirit of discussion.

Third, you need not speak in hypotheticals. A club already exists, which is where I am drawing my conclusions from. Even a club which has featured more quality content than what is currently present on the featured page does not receive a substantial amount of comments, even though the general response has been overwhelmingly positive (whether it be private or otherwise).

I do not understand where you can draw any conclusion that a club "just adds obstacles on the way to discussion" because I see no logical reason for that. We are already attached to a community, so a club and the official articles section are not mutually exclusive, and navigation on the featured articles page is limited to just the most recent content, so the same problem exists there as well.

My ultimate point here is that while a comment section seems like a necessity, I think the MAL community in general has shown that even when they want things, they do not use them when they are allowed to have it, or end up using alternatives that seem to work just fine.

It's a disappointing and rather scary reality when a website with a relatively active forum cannot trust its own userbase with discussion.

I enjoy skimming through comments, even if they may be full of crap (a la youtube comments) but that's not to say there aren't any amusing or interesting comments that can be made. I think at least the very option of opening articles to comments would be good. At least make it optional for authors to open their articles to comments, and they can choose to disable them. I think the biggest purpose of comments is for the community to reflect and discuss the article, of which you can't achieve if you simply post on the author's comment page.

I also think you need to consider that the MFA club simply doesn't have as much exposure or mainstream appeal, or possibly that it feels like an intimidating environment to comment or share opinions. Which one of these is contributing to low comment traffic I can only guess, but hopefully with your next few site-wide publications we can draw better conclusions.

For now, I personally advocate for at least the option to enable article comments.
Apr 19, 2016 1:50 AM

Oct 2013
I thought adding the option to comment on featured article on mal would be a no brainer?
Apr 20, 2016 4:39 AM

Jan 2013