Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 9, 2009 8:22 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I honestly think I would've enjoyed it more if Genkai didn't come back. I mean, she died and came back, Kuwabara 'died' and came back (thank God). How would Yusuke handle it when someone actually died, and I mean they don't come back.

RtheO
May 22, 2010 7:27 AM

May 2009
I wonder who kissed Genkai in order for her to revive

Anyway, next ep looks interesting
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Aug 18, 2010 4:38 PM

Mar 2010
ok back to the human world

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 29, 2011 3:42 AM

Feb 2009
What? Genkai comes back to life just like that?? O_o
May 18, 2012 12:44 AM

Jun 2010
Copping-out on Kuwabara's death was bad enough, but at least he had a important position in the balance of the cast. Killing off the second-banana and comic relief might mean the series wouldn't work as well.

There's no such excuse with bringing back Genkai. She was only in a handful of episodes before the Dark Tournament and she wasn't a character worth a damn. Only the tournament managed to make her interesting and all that led up to her death in the seires' best episode to date. Backpedaling from that only makes the whole thing look silly.
Sep 3, 2012 10:01 PM

Aug 2012
I hate the fact that Genkai came back! All that emotion and loss for nothing :( It does make me feel a little better that she didn't come back in the manga. That was the longest arc of any series I've ever seen! ~finally over~ I loved every episode though :) I think I'm done watching this series for a while burnt out on it! ;)
Aug 8, 2013 9:52 AM

Mar 2013
Yeah agree she shouldnt come back to life. Kinda make me feel dumb for sorrow after her death. Btw this episode is the episode that make Toguro one of the best villain I've ever seen.

SummerIchigo said:
It does make me feel a little better that she didn't come back in the manga.

Oh wait she didnt revive in the manga? O__O
Jan 15, 2014 11:58 AM
Nov 2011
If she didn't revive in the manga think I'm gonna have to read the manga to see how the story is different from the anime
Feb 22, 2014 2:18 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, it was cheap and really hurt the impact of the best moment of the series, her death. I was thinking this was a case of the meddling I heard Togashi had to deal with during this series, but is it true Genkai stays dead in the manga?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 22, 2014 4:58 PM

Apr 2007
Genkai is revived in the manga too, idk where that guy got his info.

If they did change that in the anime there's no way fans would call this a "great adaptation" etc. anyway .-.
Aug 20, 2014 9:16 AM

Dec 2012
A pretty standard aftermath episode for the most part but I like how they delved into Toguro one last time. It showed just how honorable he really was. I kind of expected a cop-out "no one really dies but the bad guys" conclusion, but it definitely took away the impact to bring back Genkai. I think it would have been leagues more powerful if they had done something like Genkai and Toguro go to the lowest level of Hell together to fight the demons there.

Anyway this was a solid arc overall but I can't see myself marathoning anymore right now (not to mention the next ep preview looks a bit uneventful so that helps). I'll come back to you later YYH.
Aug 29, 2014 5:06 AM

Jul 2012
Fronzel said:
Copping-out on Kuwabara's death was bad enough, but at least he had a important position in the balance of the cast. Killing off the second-banana and comic relief might mean the series wouldn't work as well.

There's no such excuse with bringing back Genkai. She was only in a handful of episodes before the Dark Tournament and she wasn't a character worth a damn. Only the tournament managed to make her interesting and all that led up to her death in the seires' best episode to date. Backpedaling from that only makes the whole thing look silly.

Genkai being alive at the end was like the best thing that could happen in this arc (and it was pretty coherent as well), and btw, she IS in fact really important (next arc can do justice for my words).

It did not look silly at all, it even reminds me of Clannad After Story.
Dec 10, 2014 7:45 PM

Feb 2014
Kinda disappointed that she came back. It sort of ruined the whole impact on the story. Well lets see what else she has stored in mind for Yusuke. And Toguro that was sweet lol.
The higher I get , The lower I'll sink.

Apr 20, 2015 12:35 PM

Aug 2013
Despite revival being a part of the series ever since the first episodes, for it to bring back Genkai was without a doubt disappointing.

Hopefully this unsatisfactory event does not set too much of a precedence for the rest of the series.
Sep 14, 2015 5:47 AM

Jul 2013
I wasn't thrilled when the second ark turned out to be a long tournament arc but i was still enjoying the show until towards the end of the tournament but then so much stupid shit happened that i lost all interest.

Just like the show that Togashi was ripping off this one too got too ridiculous.
Dec 28, 2015 3:40 PM

Dec 2012
I was gonna complain about how cheap Genkai's revival was, but it dawned on me that the fact Toguro was always aware she was going to be revived actually really alters his character in an interesting way. He even played a hand in guaranteeing her revival. So at the very least, her revival wasn't pointless.

Toguro is a surprisingly complex and morally gray character, and we didn't really get to appreciate that until after he died. Probably so we'd really want to see his face beaten in. His farewell to Genkai was nice. Despite being hired muscle, he really always did do things his way.

Overall this arc was very mediocre and cliche, but had a couple good moments. It certainly did not live up to the hype I've seen.

While not terrible, I'm not finding this series all that great and I don't think I can sit through another 50 episodes of this. I'll give it one more episode to see where the next arc goes (and the new opening) before I drop it, or at least put it on hold. The first episode was probably the best part of the series.
BanjaDec 28, 2015 4:05 PM
Apr 22, 2016 10:27 PM

Sep 2015
Once again I must ask, who animated this episode.

It wasn't nearly as spectacular as others namely 48 and 58, and it did look wonky at certain points, but I still enjoyed it and cannot find out who did it.

And I was fine with them bringing back Genkai but I wish that they would have hinted towards it moreso than saying Toguro planned it the whole time.

Regardless, it was a wonderful story arc.

(Yes I have achieved 420 form posts! Finally! Oh wait, today is the 23. Dammit.)

Rarity is Best Pony!
Mar 27, 2017 9:58 PM

Sep 2015
Poor Toguro ;-; dam he knew from the started that he wanted to die and go to op hell! He technically never wanted Genkai dead.
Apr 11, 2017 3:54 AM

Dec 2013
Not sure how I feel about Genkai returning...

This episode actually made me feel bad about Toguro's which I didn't expect.
Jun 26, 2017 9:47 AM
Nov 2015
The pink cloud in Hell looks positively like the pink smoke on Velvet Underground's Loaded's cover.
Or the whole scene with the floating arc floating island pink sky and grey cloud feels like a Dali's painting.
Jun 26, 2017 10:03 AM
Nov 2015
uhmmmmmmmmm. in just one episode they tried to lump together moreeeee information about Toguro and now I'm confused as fukk. I guess I have to use the cliche answer to this problem: humans are complicated and don't always act by logic.

Though his flashback talk with Koenma makes him veryyyyyy likeable. And look back at all the things he have done. EVERYTHING IS HONORABLE. MY GOD! WHY DIDN'T I NOTICE??? He allowed the jerk who kidnapped Yukina to be killed. He absorbed the souls of the audience, but most of them are worthless demons. He didn't kill Kuwabara ON PURPOSE. He killed his worthless jerky older brother.

Genkai's revival, well. Toguro's being really really honorable at the end will not be proved if the event of him entrusting Genkai's body to Koenma knowing she would revive (and he would lose to Yuusuke) did not happen. So on one hand I get the feels of Genkai death, on the other I get more honorable Toguro + Genkai brought back, I think I'd choose the 2nd option.

In the preview I thought Yuusuke's design in the next arc is noticeable older.

Not the amazing greatest tournament arc as many rave about it. Fights are terrible 80% of the time (haha, no creativity, no tactics, just power-ups and convenience holes). Opponents are obnoxious and boastful 80% of the time. Too slow, to many cuts to comments and the audience and the girl group having trouble getting in the stadium, many jokes are stale. But every 10 eps there are at least 2 good eps.
Sean_NessmanJun 26, 2017 10:22 AM
Jul 30, 2017 7:47 PM

Jun 2016
I'm shocked. Are you kidding me, not even Genkai stays dead? This show takes no risks, there are no stakes, there is no danger. Main characters win and come back because they're main characters. This show does not respect it's audience. How many times can it say that somethings on the line before pulling it away at the last second? Winning at the end of a round because of love or friendship or anger when otherwise it would of been a definite loss, having characters constantly attempt to sacrifice themselves but survive because of some contrivance, reverting all main cast deaths after making them appear as a big deal, and the fact that Yusuke iirc hasn't even lost one battle yet in the series.

May not be the most offensive thing the show has done thus far but it definitely puts the icing on the cake.

On a nicer note I thought the spirit realm talk between Toguro and Genkai was well done.
Nov 14, 2017 3:21 PM

Jan 2013
Toguro turned out to be the best character of this arc. I really will miss him. Especially cuz I started looking at him differently ever since he showed up in Koenma's office. A vibe of sadness surrounded his person as he walked. His backstory was kinda painful as well which played a major role in what Toguro turned out to be. Overall he's a very tragic character, going towards the Hell gates without turning his head back... As for the arc, it was definitely too long for my taste. I'd say I liked it since it had a lot of epic moments but some things were dragged out too long and the girls' play-by-play talk got old really fast. But I definitely liked this arc due to what it made Toguro to be. On a side note; I'm really glad Toguro punched the fuck out of his older brother into oblivion. I hated that guy and thought he was annoying ever since he first appeared.
Jan 1, 2018 8:55 AM

Dec 2012
Great Arc! from 8/10 -> 10/10
And Toguro is a good guy why not kiss Genkai?! She surely wants your D

Jan 10, 2018 6:08 PM

Jul 2017
Toguro turned out to be a really interesting character. I wept for his bad decisions, his evil actions with good intent. That's the case with everyone though. He was certainly honorable, for the most part, but he was not "good".

Later, his actions when speaking with Genkai actually made me more angry with him and made me realize his largest flaw. He is so self-absorbed. He blames everything on himself and hides behind a veneer of cold power.

I wasn't disappointed to see Genkai return. I think it worked well within the framework of the show. Obviously, the team would have gotten wishes. I really did want to see those and how they would have turned out. Yusuke's was clearly granted. I'm glad that something happened because it almost seemed like the prize was all a wash.

Anyway, it was a pretty cool arc. I don't really like things that are just all fights, but this was a little less drawn out than Dragon Ball Z and the like. There were enough interesting plot elements to keep it going. Most of the fights only went for 1-2 episodes too. I might step away from this for a second now; damn.
Feb 5, 2018 8:56 PM

Oct 2012
Aww Toguro, well at least he got himself cool glasses in hell

Kuwabara jumped into Kurama's seat and Kurama prepared for that..
That's like amazing, more than Yusuke vs Toguro xD

Baa-san is alive, everyone are alive and healthy
Good ending.. or is it?
"Signature removed"
Oct 4, 2018 12:50 PM

Nov 2016
Lol, she came back just like that.

Good episode,tho.

It gave Toguros character proper closure.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 2, 2019 6:10 PM

May 2017
So in the end the death of Genkai was included into Toguros plan. His plan to atone for his sins and somewhat redeem himself. This kairen dude killed all his students and thus Toguro the beast awakes. Toguro kills him in the finale of the dark tournament and becomes obsessed with power and strength. He strayed away from the path of righteousness when the greed of power took him over. Now he goes into Limbo to further atone for his ways. Limbo, a place where you wish you would stop existing for 10 thousands of years only to continue living anyway. Genkai sends him off

imagine showing us so much grief and despair over genkai's death only to bring her back alive. This show has some serious flaws. I honestly don't know how anyone that watches this show in 2019 can say that this is a great show.

I suppose I should still thank Hakusho for existing. Yoshihiro Togashi really learned an insane amount from writing yu yu hakusho before starting his phenomenal masterpiece called hunter x hunter. How do you go from an average shounen to the best there is. Mad respect.
Jun 1, 2019 8:41 AM
Apr 2016
Well, the aftermath is really great. So, Toguro turned out to be a good guy after all, well damn. He had planned everything, literally everything it seems. I think it's a little silly that Genkai got revived though, since we went through a lot of drama and characters crying after she died.
Aug 25, 2019 2:18 PM

Dec 2013
Ok, after this episode i know and understand why people consider Toguro as a great character and why they like him so much.
Sep 6, 2019 9:07 AM

Jun 2015
NOW THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!
THIS IS WHERE TOGASHI REALLY SHINES!
Character Development. Great episode featuring Toguro's past.
Sep 6, 2019 9:23 AM

Jun 2015
And don't worry, this is not like Dragon Ball revival festival. Both Kuwabara and Genkai came back for their clear reasons.
Apr 1, 2020 12:38 AM

Jun 2014
Rewatching because its quarantine and this is available on yt. Lol (And I already read the manga 5 yrs ago.)

Toguro overall was an inconsistent character. Well Togashi didn't really pre-plan this series. Remember the first episode he appeared he and his big bro were tormenting Yukina for the sake of money. At that time the writer Togashi still doesn't think about his bs backstory. Then Toguro decided to "lost" the fight against Yusuke and Kuwabara for the sake of money or idk. There was no indication that Toguro knew about Genkai and Yusuke is her pupil. Im not even sure what Toguro saw in Yusuke when Kuwabara (the MVP) was the one who planned about their strategy to "beat" them. Fast forward at the end of the tournament Toguro suddenly become chivalrous man. Now people giving him a sympathy because of his poorly written backstory.

So far this series is 4.5/10 for me. Mediocre fights, cheesy drama, overuse power ups. There also a lot of time when the music doesn't really fit with the scene.

Thankfully the next 2 arcs are much better.

Apr 21, 2020 10:56 PM

Mar 2020
Damn pour one out for a real one
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Apr 21, 2020 11:18 PM

Mar 2020
shayed__ said:
I suppose I should still thank Hakusho for existing. Yoshihiro Togashi really learned an insane amount from writing yu yu hakusho before starting his phenomenal masterpiece called hunter x hunter. How do you go from an average shounen to the best there is. Mad respect.

This is exactly why i can't be that mad at all the inconsistencies and bad writing in YYH. Watching this after HxH is like going back and watching someone's backstory when they were training and making mistakes before they became one of the best ever at what they do.
Not to mention all the other popular Shounen YYH inspired, Bleach wouldn't exist without YYH.
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Aug 20, 2020 2:01 PM

Apr 2017
Fronzel said:

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Aug 21, 2020 1:25 AM

Apr 2017
Oh, also, the "various crimes" from Hiei made me laugh out loud.
Aug 24, 2020 1:46 AM

Apr 2020
Oh man what an arc!
Can these people finally get some rest plase. I want one episode where everyone is relaxing please. They all have gone through so much.

Although I dont think that is gonna be happening
--AbiSa--
Nov 12, 2020 7:15 PM

Nov 2017
Genkai should've stayed dead imo
Jan 4, 2021 9:57 AM

Dec 2007
nice adds on toguro.

and genkai plot armour was stupid ><
Mar 12, 2021 10:56 AM
Sep 2020
This arc was really solid but the return of Genkai really ruined it. Kuwabaras return was semi-understandable and acceptable but this just felt like the perfect time to kill off Genkai. The arc could’ve been a 10/10 but now it is a 8/10. Toguro’s character is really great though and probably the best thing of this arc.
Jul 5, 2021 7:28 AM
Sep 2007
I also think that they should let Genkai stay dead. Bringing her back to life makes her death less significant. Not to mention it fails to learn Urameshi how to deal with someone's death.

Toguro... poor guy feels so guilty he willingly goes to the worst part of hell. Maybe he should have think about it before he started to kill people to challenge his opponent?
Jul 29, 2021 12:12 AM

Aug 2018
Sad episode tbh

but at least Genkai is alive again!!!

Feb 14, 2022 12:52 PM
Sep 2018
Kinda upset that Genkai was revived, and I don't even understand HOW!? It cheapens and ruins somewhat I'd say an overall great arc. It would have carried more profound weight and beauty if she remained dead. But, okay, whatever may be my initial feelings here will change and I'd learn to like her coming back. And, however still good job team on the win, 8/10.~

Let's just see what's next in-store. But, I'mma take a break from this series for a while, and come back later wanna start some new ones right now like thinking time soon to start a bizarre adventure...

(And, still think this show's amazing rn, just ehhh with that reveal. Interested to see what's next, tho, and maybe Genkai will in the future be there to attend Yusuke's wedding, etc. I want to see THAT now 🤭 :) )

Mar 31, 2022 11:44 PM

Sep 2021
As much as love the reveals about Toguro here, I do felt it took away some of the mystique about his character.

About the arc as a whole, it wasn't as good as I expected it to be from others' opinions, but I still had a great time watching it.
May 30, 2022 11:23 PM

Sep 2018
I thought they would at least revive Ba-San as a younger women lmao... My guess is on the Elder Toguro Brother being the one person who wants to take over the job of opening a hole large enough for travel between Demon and Human world.
Sep 1, 2022 6:56 AM
Jan 2019
Good shit wtf
Freakin epic ending wtf
Cool bad guy wtf
Jun 6, 2023 7:08 PM

Jul 2021
Like many others said, despite revival being a factor since the beginning, I think Genkai being brought back weakens the overall message they tried to give off the first time about how aging and death are natural and how lucky Yusuke is for having a second chance since he's so young, aswell as all the buildup she had since her Tournament all the way back in the Spirit Detective arc. 

And she could still remain as a Main Character in the show anyways, atleast have her stay in the Spirit World and possess Puu from time to time like in the fight. Atleast Toguro had a great conclusión to his arc and Chapter Black looks interesting but first, Ill be watching the movies since they take place before next arc.
AzafuseKingToraJun 6, 2023 7:13 PM
Jun 22, 2023 11:11 AM

Oct 2012
Genkai came back as a reward for winning the tournament?  Does anyone remember why they were fighting in the tournament in the first place?  What was at stake besides their lives?
Jul 10, 2023 8:56 AM

Mar 2022
God even in death, Toguro is such a based character. He could've let Koenma give him a minimal punishment but nope, he's so aware of his past actions that he sentences himself to Limbo. He had everything planned out from the start, he just wanted a strong fighter to best him in the Dark Tournament and he did with Yusuke. He deliberately missed Kuwabara's vital organs when he could've straight out kill him, and plus he fought Yusuke on his own terms. This why I think Young Toguro is such an awesome character and I'm glad we got more into his character with the flashbacks which honestly make me appreciate him a lot more and I'm grateful for that.

Some people think that Genkai undermines the whole arc, honestly I don't mind that she's back again but ultimately doesn't really take away from the fact that this was a great arc for this show. Lots of great moments and character development and again this is something my teenage self would've LOVED to have seen especially in regards to Toguro as a whole. So I say The Dark Tournament saga gets an 8 from me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 97 Discussion

Elric88 - May 26, 2010

39 by TheStarscream759 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 32 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Oct 24, 2009

42 by KoniginElle »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 76 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Dec 19, 2009

32 by Xeehad »»
Today, 5:23 AM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 77 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Dec 19, 2009

29 by Xeehad »»
Today, 5:19 AM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 96 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - May 31, 2010

16 by TheStarscream759 »»
Yesterday, 5:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.