Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2009 1:27 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Apart from the fact that since a couple of previous episodes Madlax has become transparent to bullets I didn't get a thing! why did Carrosea died again? And why is Madlax older than Margaret if they are the same person? No sorry I didn't get a thing here. silly plotline yeah.
meneopeMar 6, 2012 1:49 PM
Dec 21, 2009 8:07 PM

Jul 2008
You can't understand it because it is the stupidest plotline ever. I fell asleep during almost every episode. Madlax is Japan's sleeping aid and it only costs you 30 dollars!
Dec 23, 2009 3:59 PM

Jun 2009
I want my money back. And I didn't even pay anything for it!
Jan 30, 2010 11:44 AM
Dec 2009
Wow... Interesting that none of you guys really liked it. I think this series isn't based around action and stuff like that, but more around philosophy, which not everyone is a fan of, but if you don't like it, don't watch it.
(to the person who reads this that might actually like Madlax as well I loved how this series kept a few elements of other 'girls with guns' series but also blazed its own trail. Definately well done!)
Jan 31, 2010 2:49 PM

Jun 2009
vinnispinni said:
Wow... Interesting that none of you guys really liked it. I think this series isn't based around action and stuff like that, but more around philosophy, which not everyone is a fan of, but if you don't like it, don't watch it.
(to the person who reads this that might actually like Madlax as well I loved how this series kept a few elements of other 'girls with guns' series but also blazed its own trail. Definately well done!)

We already watch it - that's the problem.
Perhaps u could shed some light on some of the questions I asked earlier since u have understood the thing apparently.
Feb 28, 2010 1:05 AM

Feb 2010
Quite the interesting tale. Very confusing in parts but in the end it came together. Even if it only came together in symbolism and not reality. I do believe that this is an interpretation of of our own power over ourselves, and our lack of understanding in how things really work. Thus we live in a world that we know no better than the lies of Friday-Monday. Truly some deep thinking is involved in the overarching plot. Lots of subplots that run from ep to ep.

Art was generally very good. the 2d flowing hair thing was really out of place sometimes. Kind of annoying really.

At the very worst Yuki Kajiura still produced an awesome soundtrack!
8/10 series overall.
TasolthFeb 28, 2010 9:23 PM
We will never forget those that have fallen for our freedom!
Sep 4, 2010 12:21 AM

Aug 2008
Noir was waaaaaay better.

Having said that, even knowing spoilers (not char. death spoilers, though) through the whole thing, it was pretty confusing.

But to understand the plot line, you first have to understand that this is a story about a girl experiencing Dissociative Identity Disorder/DID (Formerly known as MPD).

Margaret experienced extreme trauma after having to choose to kill her father or be killed by her father. She ultimately pulled the trigger first and to escape the guilt of sin of her actions, she split into at least three parts (if Vanessa, Eleanore, blond wise chick, and even Friday Monday were alters also), one being Madlax, the alter who carried the sin so she could be disassociated from knowledge she could not cope with. In the end, Margaret is able to accept the reality of what happened and merged the alters. I even suspect the long blond haired tan lady with the mystic hand thing was the host, being the 'all-knowing' aspect which is central to the whole alter-splitting thing.

I don't know what Friday-Monday represented, though philosophically speaking, he just served as the ideal that morality is only a human construct and that sin does not exist. Though in the end, Madlax who embodies sin or is proof of sin and thus proof of morality and so contradicts his ideals, kills him, ironically.

Madlax, as an alter, obviously wasn't so much a physical entity as she was a disjointed part of Margaret's subconscious. Hence why she could be shot a bunch of times by Margaret and not die (as well as by creepy stalker chick she apparently hooks up with), though I think that was more symbolic of Margaret trying to destroy the truth without being aware of the truth of how her father died. After realizing and accepting she killed him and that Madlax was her sin, then she could have killed Madlax, hence why Madlax offered her the gun to make her vanish. This part about not dying before realizing and accepting the truth is why Vanessa and Eleanore died when they did.

So:

Margaret=Madlax
Eleanore=Vanessa (probably)
mystic hand lady=Friday Monday?

You would probably have to read up on DID including some literature and findings by clinical psychologists to really get half of it even if it's pretty obvious that this is about DID to most viewers, I would think. But a lot of gun action, I suppose, was used to market this anime to a wider audience, seeing as Noir, its predecessor, appeals to a very narrow audience as seems to be the case with Bee Train's better titles, imo. But Noir has apparently had a lot of not-so-great reviews by a lot of people. I was personally so impressed with the title that I wanted to rate it a masterpiece. I see Madlax as using similar concepts of sin and some similar characters (Margaret and Kirika and Vanessa and Mirielle), France, and girls being awesome with guns, but with a very different scenario. But while I am itching to re-watch the predecessor, I don't see myself re-watching this out of any particular craving.
aixelsydSep 4, 2010 12:37 AM
Jan 24, 2011 6:54 PM

Sep 2008
I didn't hate it... I didn't love it either, but I didn't hate it.

I suppose that may be because I was so scared that it was going to run down the cliched "Everything goes back to normal" route. Which makes watching anything past the first episode stupid.

In the end, not the best ending, but certainly not the worst. Now I just have to watch El Cazador de la Bruja and I'll be done with these.
Jul 1, 2011 10:05 AM

Jun 2009
net_nomad said:

Having said that, even knowing spoilers (not char. death spoilers, though) through the whole thing, it was pretty confusing.

But to understand the plot line, you first have to understand that this is a story about a girl experiencing Dissociative Identity Disorder/DID (Formerly known as MPD).

Margaret experienced extreme trauma after having to choose to kill her father or be killed by her father. She ultimately pulled the trigger...

I don't know what Friday-Monday represented, though philosophically speaking, he just served as the ideal that morality is only a human construct and that sin does not exist. Though in the end, Madlax who embodies sin or is proof of sin and thus proof of morality and so contradicts his ideals, kills him, ironically.

Madlax, as an alter, obviously wasn't so much a physical entity as she was a disjointed part of Margaret's subconscious. Hence why she could be shot a bunch of times by Margaret and not die (as well as by creepy stalker chick she apparently hooks up with), though I think that was more symbolic of Margaret trying to destroy the truth without being aware of the truth of how her father died. After realizing and accepting she killed him and that Madlax was her sin, then she could have killed Madlax, hence why Madlax offered her the gun to make her vanish. This part about not dying before realizing and accepting the truth is why Vanessa and Eleanore died when they did.

So:

Margaret=Madlax

You would probably have to read up on DID including some literature and findings by clinical psychologists to really... But while I am itching to re-watch the predecessor, I don't see myself re-watching this out of any particular craving.

I think that's more like doing a detective work trying to fill in the gap where the producers or writters clearly failed to provide a meaningful plotline. That doesn't still answer my question though: why did Carrosea have to die? What did he represent (symbolically?)?
meneopeMar 6, 2012 1:49 PM
Jul 1, 2011 10:10 AM

Jun 2009
Greyskulduggery said:

In the end, not the best ending, but certainly not the worst. Now I just have to watch El Cazador de la Bruja and I'll be done with these.

It's funny u should mention El Cazador I started watching that, but it felt so much like Madlax that I put it away. I think it was done by the same people.
Jan 21, 2012 7:34 AM

May 2010
So we still don't know the explanation for the age difference...

There's another thing I didn't get: How come Margaret was able to open the door using the three books with Carrossea without the page that Madlax had, but when Friday-Monday tried to do the same thing he failed O.o Also, is Friday-Monday a symbolic name?
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Jan 25, 2012 7:32 AM

Jun 2009
bloodlover said:
So we still don't know the explanation for the age difference...

There's another thing I didn't get: How come Margaret was able to open the door using the three books with Carrossea without the page that Madlax had, but when Friday-Monday tried to do the same thing he failed O.o Also, is Friday-Monday a symbolic name?

The thing is they tried to make it looked interesting by building up as much expectations as possible in the viewers about an empty plotline, adding some kind of super-natural touch to it but it is basically empty and non-sensical!
Feb 5, 2012 11:10 PM
Dec 2010
I'm disappointed about the lack of discussion towards this anime given how awesome it was. Oh well :(

About the age: both Margaret and Madlax were 17 iirc. If not then Madlax might have been wrong when she said she was about 17, remember she had no memories of her as a kid, how could she know her exact age?

Margerate might have been able to open the gate because the paper was with madlax (aka herself) given that she technically had the additional page she was able to. I dunno this is just a theory.
Mar 6, 2012 1:57 PM

Jun 2009
Fasces349 said:
I'm disappointed about the lack of discussion towards this anime given how awesome it was. Oh well :(

About the age: both Margaret and Madlax were 17 iirc. If not then Madlax might have been wrong when she said she was about 17, remember she had no memories of her as a kid, how could she know her exact age?

Margerate might have been able to open the gate because the paper was with madlax (aka herself) given that she technically had the additional page she was able to. I dunno this is just a theory.

Like I said the scenarists could have done a better job. The truth is the story is poorly structured and is organised and executed with creating suspence or expectations in mind rather than anything substantial in content.
Aug 7, 2012 9:04 PM

Nov 2011
Great series tbh. Not as good as Noir imo but still enjoyable.

Lovely soundtrack and psychological themes that expands beyond just the typical shounen gun action.
Feb 27, 2013 2:16 PM
Feb 2008
The thing that bugged me the most wasn't even the split spirit thing it was Madlax being buddy buddy with the chick who killed Vanessa the Maid. I mean really?
Aug 27, 2013 1:56 AM

Dec 2010
After watching Noir's epic ending, I had very high expectations about this one's too. Sadly, those expectations weren't fulfilled.

While I liked the concept of the split personality and all that stuff, I thought that the last few episodes were executed rather poorly, and left a few issues unresolved.

Still, it was an enjoyable show overall, though I liked Noir better. 8/10.
Sep 22, 2013 7:48 PM

Dec 2008
aixelsyd said:

Margaret experienced extreme trauma after having to choose to kill her father or be killed by her father. She ultimately pulled the trigger first and to escape the guilt of sin of her actions, she split into at least three parts (if Vanessa, Eleanore, blond wise chick, and even Friday Monday were alters also), one being Madlax, the alter who carried the sin so she could be disassociated from knowledge she could not cope with. In the end, Margaret is able to accept the reality of what happened and merged the alters. I even suspect the long blond haired tan lady with the mystic hand thing was the host, being the 'all-knowing' aspect which is central to the whole alter-splitting thing.

So:

Margaret=Madlax

You would probably have to read up on DID including some literature and findings by clinical psychologists to really get half of it even if it's pretty obvious that this is about DID to most viewers, I would think. But a lot of gun action, I suppose, was used to market this anime to a wider audience, seeing as Noir, its predecessor, appeals to a very narrow audience as seems to be the case with Bee Train's better titles, imo. But Noir has apparently had a lot of not-so-great reviews by a lot of people. I was personally so impressed with the title that I wanted to rate it a masterpiece. I see Madlax as using similar concepts of sin and some similar characters (Margaret and Kirika and Vanessa and Mirielle), France, and girls being awesome with guns, but with a very different scenario. But while I am itching to re-watch the predecessor, I don't see myself re-watching this out of any particular craving.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. For this post.

Because this is literally the only way the last few episodes of this show makes any sense.

While this doesn't necessarily explain away some of the show's finer plot points, but because we know Margaret and Madlax are the same person, on some level the show obviously does involve emotional trauma and dissociation on some level.

The only thing that's not 100% clear is: How deep does the rabbit hole go? Are any of the events or characters in the show "real", or are they 100% inside Margaret's head? If so, who is Margaret and what is her life actually like outside her own imagination?

Mind boggling stuff.
Nov 20, 2013 2:02 PM

Sep 2012
Pretty interesting. I'd go with what this guy said.
vinnispinni said:

I liked it and since I just finished Madlax then that means I have completed the Girls With Guns Trilogy and personally I thought El Cazador de la Bruja was my favorite, then Madlax, then Noir. I liked them all though. Really interesting.
Jun 2, 2014 11:04 PM

May 2010
This was just a sad imitation of Noir.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 3, 2015 5:56 PM
Apr 2013
I'm just going to do a basic rundown of the plot, since apparently a lot of people were confused. Feel free to add any symbolism/philosophy you want, it's open for interpretation.

A guy known as "Friday Monday" didn't like how twisted the world (human race) was. He found a way to alter reality, a way to change it into what he wanted it to be. Three magic books that are so old basically nobody really knows anything about them, just a general idea of what they do. All anyone really knows for sure is that using them leads to "the truth" (Friday Monday later uses the books almost exclusively for showing people how twisted they really are, which generally causes a mental breakdown). We learn that their full use is to open what is called "The Door of Truth", which allows someone with "The Gift" to rewrite reality according to what they desire. A line of (watchers or something? I forget the word she always used), most likely originating from whoever made the books, passes the duty of watching over the books on to the next "era", referring to each generation between uses of "The Door". Each time it's used, they pass the duty on to their protege.

So, now that all that mess is out of the way.

That Friday Monday guy (F-M) activated the books, and started rewriting reality. A girl named Margaret Burton was on a plane with her mother and treasured doll, on their way to visit her father. Here she meets a probably-French boy with an overly complicated name, at least a few years older than her. The plane nears its destination then gets caught in the mystic vortex that always seems to happen with supernatural stuff, and crashes. Margaret and the boy are the only survivors. Cue heart-wrenching girl-finding-dead-mother scene. He gives her her doll again, and they wander away. They happen to make it to their original destination, just in time to see s*** go down. F-M's long-time friend, Colonel Ric--- (Richard?) "Madlax" Burton, realized that F-M has gone totally psycho, and interrupted the rewriting, shooting M-F in the eye. Which apparently makes him no longer have "The Gift", so apparently can't access or use "The Door" anymore. And apparently is only a very minor injury.
-
Margaret, being the oblivious, airheaded child she is, latched on to the only word she heard (Madlax), and decided that now was a good time to run to her dad, yelling at the top of her lungs. Her dad was startled, and reflexively shot at her. The boy saw this coming, as sane people tend to do, and pushed her out of the way. He took the bullet instead, which somehow happened to be a perfect 100-point shot to the heart (his blood sprayed dramatically onto one of the books, but that only has questionable relevance). He did one of those self-sacrifice-smile things and died. Apparently a bullet directly into the eye at close range is 100% less lethal than being shot in the chest at long distance; go figure. Completely ignoring the horrific murder of a child that just occurred, the father and daughter have a happy, joyous reunion. For some unknown reason, the also-ignored F-M isn't too pleased at that particular moment, and uses the lame-as-hell words from the books to corrupt the father. Apparently he really desires to shoot his daughter in the face, I don't know how that is the case but okay whatever. Picking up a gun that I don't remember there ever being any reason to be there, she defends herself by shooting him in the chest, at a spot with no vital organs, at point-blank range, causing him to die instantly. It's good that we're working out what can actually kill you early on in the series, right? Right? Yeah, there's no possible way mortality could be any more complicated than it already is at this point.
-
With the loss of F-M's "The Gift", and the father and boy now dead, Margaret is the only available person left to take the reins on what is now a completely botched, god-level reality rewrite ceremony. She had a strong desire to live, an equally strong desire to not kill her own father, and a pretty strong desire to be somewhere safe and not know that all this crap happened to her; finally, something completely logical. So in order for all three conditions to be true, two fragments of herself splintered off; she herself who didn't kill her father, a fragment that did what had to be done to survive (created a separate person), and a fragment that knows and remembers what happened (went into her doll) (took all of Margaret's memories, except the word Madlax, because otherwise there wouldn't be a mysterious anime title). The girl who killed belonged there, the doll-memory-thing kind of transcended to some kind of spiritual-memory-place-thing, and she herself was relocated somewhere safe from the mess (home). F-M had already made some changes, and those remained; taking the form of a violent civil war in that country, Gazth-Sonika or whatever (basically the Middle East I guess, if that helps?). The boy had a strong desire to protect Margaret, so he was written in as someone with the means to do so.

In the confusion, the books were split up. One to F-M, one to Margaret, and one to the watcher-person. Blah blah blah 12 years pass.

Margaret was gifted some red shoes, which triggered a sort-of memory, the existence of the book. Feels a calling to it, totally obsessed, etc. etc. Page is missing, so she tries to find it. Meets a guy named Golesasssomething, total creep, works directly for F-M. They end up with a sort of connection, and he starts trying to protect her. He's the boy from earlier, so wish granted. The two (totally coincidentally, it's just a natural occurrence) end up going to Afgha... Gazth-Sonika or whatever. You know, where that stuff happened? Place where there's a person who's the same age as Margaret, goes by the name Madlax because that's the only thing she remembered, and obviously there's a direct connection between the two. Totally coincidence. Blah blah, stuff happens, totally messed up relationship between Madlax and Lieutenant Asymmetrical Hair, more stuff. Finally all the protagonists meet up, a destiny 20 god damn episodes in the making. They get all three books, even though missing page, Golesomething opens "The Door", finds out he's just a ghost, dies again because he wasn't actually alive. Blah blah Margaret gets kidnapped by the totally psycho F-M that oozes creepiness blah stuff blah. Vanessa dies in a NOOOO moment, Madlax and Asymmetrical finally reach an understanding of sorts (FINALLY). Lenore dies, a devastating scene full of heartbreak. Seriously, I think I almost cried. Why did they raise the suspense so long? We all saw it coming for 20 god damn episodes. Margaret shoots Madlax again (Hasn't she heard? That's just a waste of bullets. Throwing money down the drain. Though I guess Madlax keeps 6,000 boxes of ammunition and a white dress in her mini jacket, so it's a moot point.). F-M brainwashes Margaret and tries to get her to make the world that he wants, since he can't do it himself, because his minor .45 caliber gunshot wound to the eye took away his "The Gift". Eventually Margaret opens "The Door", and we finally get the full picture of the little tidbits they stretched out over the past 20 god damn episodes. Margaret decides that the world as it is is just fine, and is the way it should be, and that F-M is a total psycho that oozes creepiness, kills him. Decides that she doesn't want to "become one with" the busty older-looking woman and the moe loli (the fragments of herself), but still apparently is the combination of all three females; probably because gunshots are only fatal to nameless underlings that are always male, that boy, Vanessa, and Lenore. Everyone seems to be A-OK with explosions, knives, and falling off cliffs though, so I'm not sure if that throws a wrench in things or not.

So, in conclusion:

Margaret walks away with moe-loli-doll as her little sister (to make up with leaving her there, all alone, for 12 years?), Madlax drives off with Asymmetrical and goes back to killing lots and lots and lots and lots of people, Hakhlhrhkalkhrhl or whatever inherits the job from Quanzitta or whatever, I think the books were burned?, Vanessa and Lenore are still dead as doornails, and we are given no reason to believe that anything except this paragraph isn't still the exact same as it was. I don't think I missed anything important for this dissertation. Now that I've done this, I'm realizing how much of the series is completely irrelevant. So really, what was the point of those 20 god damn episodes? "The journey, not the destination"? I guess that will have to do.

10/10
would watch again
DantonMar 3, 2015 6:08 PM
Mar 6, 2016 10:50 PM

Dec 2012
Bee Train pulls through for me again. Although I ultimately prefer Noir, Madlax still delivered a very enticing mystery. I do wish it had more action like Noir, but the atmosphere was just as fascinating and I'm glad it wasn't just a rehash of a prior project.

This final episode certainly managed to provide food for thought up until the last minute. I like how Margaret ultimately decided not to merge with Laetitia and Madlax, recognizing both of them as individuals with their own life experiences. Rather, Margaret wanted to release Madlax from her role as the "kind killer", taking on some of the malice that comes with taking a human life. A very unorthodox decision for a main character considering how often times compassion and good nature is emphasized instead. I'm glad that the ending doesn't rewrite all of Margaret's experiences for a happily ever after, but rather allows her, Laetitia, and Madlax to continue their journeys through life free of the burden of their pasts.

Friday-Monday dies, I celebrate. He comes back with his creepy hentai villain talk, I roll my eyes. He dies again, I celebrate. He comes back with his--It felt like a huge burden was lifted when he was finally gone for good. Easily the weakest aspect of this show, but his continuous emphasis on conscience vs urge and desire were fascinating. I'm sure there's some sort of theme to be had in what "Essence" really was, but I'll have to ponder on that in my own time. Still, he felt like some wacky ass hentai dude so I couldn't help but laugh at him.

And hey you know what, props to Laetitia. The creepy little girl ends up becoming the most adorable one by the end. Laetitia really is a doll (oh lord...).

Overall this certainly made me glad that Bee Train came out with a trilogy of these "girls with guns" series and I'll be keeping an eye out for El Cazador in the near future.

8/10

Edit: Thinking about @Danton post above, I'd say the point was more or less for Margaret and Madlax to accept the essence of who they are. I'm sure bringing the Civil War to a close is only a matter of time at that point now that Enfant is no longer orchestrating it, but that became less relevant as they focused on how these characters were trying to reaffirm their existences.
ZekkenshinMar 6, 2016 10:55 PM
Apr 5, 2017 7:30 AM
Oct 2012
like madlax herself you sholld foget this everyone dies bodycount too high felt cheated best charter was the maid but she bought the farm too!!
Sep 24, 2017 8:40 AM

Jun 2015
This was somewhat enjoyable series. Liked some of the characters and their relationships. Music was definitely a hit in my book. It sucks that Vanessa and Elenore died. I was hoping for them to be revived through the door, oh well. [If it can throw a country into chaos/civil war for twelve years, reviving one or two persons should not be a problem really] Last few episodes were a flop and the ending sucks. It could have been better.

6/10.
Nov 4, 2017 6:27 PM
Jul 2013
Tasolth said:

At the very worst Yuki Kajiura still produced an awesome soundtrack!

THIS. I'm so glad there are people appreciating it. The best part of the show for me. I liked it even more than Noir's OST.
aixelsyd said:

Thank you for that post.

Danton said:
I'm just going to do a basic rundown of the plot, since apparently a lot of people were confused. Feel free to add any symbolism/philosophy you want, it's open for interpretation.

Also thank you for that post.
Just to clear one thing up for you:
-Nafrece=France
-Gazth-Sonika- considering the involvement of the French my first thought was Vietnam, but taking into account the small size of the country, use of Chinese characters on street signs, the fact that civil war didn't spill over the borders and also geographical features, my educated guess is Taiwan or Singapore, definitely South East Asia. But that's not really important to the story.
Mar 22, 2019 1:15 PM
Jul 2018
Amazing. Had a great time and I LOVE the soundtrack
Mar 28, 2019 2:27 PM

May 2015
This episode really had me hoping they would revive Elenore and have a happy slice of life ending but of course not.

They had the supernatural element to do that but meh. The whole "door of the era" thing did fuck all.

Just Elenore's death brought the ranking for the series down for me and I'll never re-watch it. Would have if they let her live.

Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 28, 2019 2:40 PM

May 2015
kbeeney said:
like madlax herself you sholld foget this everyone dies bodycount too high felt cheated best charter was the maid but she bought the farm too!!

I know how you feel. Best girl died and I came for the yuri so seeing this was devastating.

Wildflame said:
After watching Noir's epic ending, I had very high expectations about this one's too. Sadly, those expectations weren't fulfilled.

While I liked the concept of the split personality and all that stuff, I thought that the last few episodes were executed rather poorly, and left a few issues unresolved.

Still, it was an enjoyable show overall, though I liked Noir better. 8/10.

Funny cause Ive literally just came off Noir as well and really thought that this series could really do without the supernatural element. I agree with the last few episodes being rushed as well.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 1, 2019 8:54 PM

Mar 2016
aixelsyd said:

lolwut. Now that's bullshit. If you're going to needlessly mesh people together remember there are two characters with purple hair who also end up shooting each other...

Taking the dissociative identity stuff too far is going to lead the viewer astray. The show is really about human culture's attempt to obscure the violent nature that lies in all people, and Friday Monday's goal is to plunge humanity into a unifying state of perpetual violence. Vanessa and Eleanore died when they did because they satisfied their reasons for living: promises, wishes.

This story deals with some pretty profound, and dangerous, stuff which might be why it's so unnerving to watch unravel in animated form. I liked it a lot but after episode 20 it started to feel overly long, like it was just filling time until the end, and the spectacle of violence became incredibly absurd. Am conflicted how I feel about it as a piece of entertainment though because I can understand it as an allegorical journey, but having to see good characters (like Vanessa) die to get a 'do you want to be my little sister' ending to a doll is kind of...unsatisfying.

But there's some really cool stuff in here. Every battle Madlax had with Limelda ended up being a ton of fun to watch. And while the mystery was still mysterious, the anime did a really great job of fitting the different perspectives of the story around each other, and ultimately connecting them. I feel like I could write a decently long paper on all of the subtext in this one. A very dense, yet really tight, narrative.

Also, his name was Poupee. Fucking Poupee.
syncrogazerApr 2, 2019 7:05 AM
Apr 2, 2019 10:14 AM

Dec 2015
@syncrogazer "Poupée" to be exact. (I suppose everyone knows the meaning of this word)
Jun 5, 2020 11:28 PM
Oct 2018

I feel like I could bingewatch all of Madlax every day for months, and still not be able to tell you a thing about the story. In fact, I just finished watching the final episode, and I've forgotten the whole thing already. What even is a "Madlax"? Is there an anime named Madlax"? I've never heard of it.

Not the worst anime I've watched, but definitely a strong contender for the most boring, sleep-inducing animes I've watched.

a remarkably unremarkable, extremely statistically average 5/10
Feb 23, 2021 12:20 AM
Dec 2017
Well 4/10.

Noir was way better
No doubt!!!
Jul 29, 2021 11:35 AM

Jan 2013
As much as I enjoyed the whole series, the ending is absolute ass and a letdown. I don't care for Monday Friday's mad ramblings - we've had the whole show full of that. Him dying is an asspull too - he should be immune to wounds, same as Madlax. Madlax not disappearing after learning the truth about herself is another asspull. That shootout scene was the most camp thing in the whole anime and totally out of place. Madlax going back to her old 'job' even though Margaret could easily forge her a new identity with her god-like power. She also abandoned Margaret, who has no close friends or family at this point and Madlax is indirectly responsible for that by not disarming Limelda when given the opportunity - some loyalty and a sense of responsibility she has... This is just cruel. Limelda was obsessed with killing Madlax this whole time, but all of a sudden she changes her mind after some DEEP, inspiring words from Madlax. In the end they both are pals driving into the sunset, literally WTF... Despite Margaret supposedly starting 'a new era', nothing really changed, apart from having two moons in place of one. Lastly, we never learn why Enfant kept the civil war going all those years.
kari-yaJul 29, 2021 12:26 PM
Nov 11, 2021 6:26 AM
Dec 2015
The OST was the highlight here. The action was pretty good but over all the show was mediocre
Nov 23, 2022 5:06 PM
Mar 2019
Even though every episode seems to drag on, i still enjoyed this even though the end wasn't a perfect conclusion.
For anyone thinking, it's a slow burn as they say.
Mar 7, 2023 9:11 PM
Des31

Oct 2020
Confusing, how come madlax and that dool be alive but elenore and vannessa stay death, why doesn't she use her power to resurrect both of them, to much question that this anime left it be and that ending was the most confused one
May 13, 2023 12:46 PM
Jun 2019
As some other also said, Margaret should have revived Elenore & Vanessa (the only people she had in her life) instead of making the doll her sister, what a weird decision. 

Also Madlax and Limelda appearently hooking up is really weird (at first I thought the person Madlax was with at the end was Vanessa).. Limelda is basically at fault for these deaths, Madlax should be mad at her, especially for Vanessa. Was hoping Limelda would just die, like
Jan 13, 3:59 PM

Jul 2022
Hmm, it started good.
Halfway of the story it was rly interesting.

But the end..... ugh.... they should have just make Margaret a filler character and let her die asap.
I still gave this Anime a 'Good' rating.

Limelda is now a 'partner' with Madlax is epic.
Wouldn't mind if they made a spin-off with these 2 doing missions etc.
Just skip Margaret.
It still taste salty that Vanessa died..

More topics from this board

Poll: » Madlax Episode 5 Discussion

Guitarplayer20 - Sep 13, 2013

5 by BlueBullet178 »»
Jan 15, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Madlax Episode 4 Discussion

meneope - Aug 28, 2009

12 by BlueBullet178 »»
Jan 13, 9:21 PM

Poll: » Madlax Episode 24 Discussion

meneope - Nov 26, 2009

8 by chriskris91 »»
Jan 13, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Madlax Episode 22 Discussion

meneope - Nov 13, 2009

4 by chriskris91 »»
Jan 13, 9:58 AM

Poll: » Madlax Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2012

9 by BlueBullet178 »»
Jan 12, 7:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.